Quantcast A different view on those magical upgrades... - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    This thread does highlight something I've always found to be quite odd.

Most companies go out of their way to reward frequent customers, but Disney actually seems to go out of their way to neglect theirs. Their attitude has always seemed to be, "Eh. We already get your money. We don't need to offer you anything."

But yet people who are infrequent or spotty customers get all kinds of perks and offers.

I think I find that more annoying than anything else.
    Wow Ian!!!!
    This is exactly what I was trying to say. I suppose it's my wordienss that got me into trouble...Thanks for understanding!
    Jen :)

CR-1981
    offsite-1985
    Marriott Grande Vista 2002
    WL 2004
    Poly 2005
    CR Atrium Club 2006
    Poly 2007
    Beach Club CL, Grand Floridian 2008
    Beach Club CL 2009
    GF Royal Palm Club CL 2010
    WL CL 2011
    CR Presidential Suite 2012
    BC Club Level 2012
    Poly CL 2015

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Home of the World Champion White Sox and World Champion Chicago Blackhawks X's 2!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Jen I completely agree with you, I don't ask for an upgrade as you can see we book what we need and want. I'm not going to be tacky and ask some CM for an upgrade, and be at their mercy my luck they'd give me the worst room in the resort.
    What I think Disney should do is set limits on the upgrades they grant....views w/in the resorts can be one type, don't upgrade from a value to a deluxe in the club level that's insulting to a guest paying 6k for a stay over someone paying 2k for the same amout of days. Upgrade from Values to Moderates, and then Moderates to Deluxe, then Deluxe to Club Level. Give those in Club level the suites since they are paying more for the rooms in the first place--it makes the most sense and it's fair at least in my head. Everyone this way is upgraded some how, as for views in hotels upgrade within the same hotel or same hotel type.
    '79 Ft Wilderness Campgrounds/CR
    '81 off property
    '86 CR
    '87 CR
    '89 Disney Inn
    '96 DL
    '97 WL
    '98 CS
    '07 WLV
    '08 Poly Princess Suite
    '09 Poly Princess Suite
    '10 May CR Hospitally Suite kiddos surprise trip!
    '11 May YC Club Level
    '14 Oct CS Executive Level

Post Thanks / Like

Put limits on Disney magic , I really hope not. If I'm ever that concerned about what another guest received, it's time for me to look alittle more deeply at myself.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

From what I read on this site we all spend way too much money at WDW. If some of us can get bonus anything while at Disney it makes me warm inside. I just wish it was I that get a bonus my next trip. The whole emailing certian people special pin codes really goes up side ways I think it is boarderline prejudice to the ones who are not offered the specials. I have spent over 100,000.00 since the early 80's with Disney in my 20+ trips and I am seldom sent a special. They send pin codes to some one who has never been before just to shake some bushes for some new buisness drives me crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, what a coincidence that in addition to getting a notification about this thread in my e-mail, I also just got a pin code offer for free dining . Of course, I have been a member of the Disney online family for 10 years or so and I have always checked the "yes" box for wanting to receive special offers. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing most of the upgrades are due to overbooking. I've had countless hotel room or rental car upgrades, and even been bumped to first class on airplanes a handful of times. Many of those have been due to loyalty programs but usually it's because the company overbooked the class I was in.

I understand that some people don't feel an upgrade should be requested, but I still don't have a big problem with it. I've done it on airlines occasionally since I'm quite tall and have long legs, making it cramped to sit in regular seats. I do not think people should expect it, but to each his own I guess.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

I don't ask, and it never occurred to me to be upset if someone does. We got an upgrade last time because we arrived super early and they had overbooked the standard rooms and we got a nice room veeery close to the lobby, which ended up being a blessing to my inlaws. I dunno, to me it is like getting a dream team thingie or a towel animal -- I don't go looking for it, I am not disappointed if it does not happen, and I am happy if someone else gets it.

If someone is a frequent visitor to Disney it means they are financially blessed in a big way! And they are no better or more deserving of an upgrade than someone who scraped for 10 years to take the family on one trip. In fact, I would rather see the latter family get an upgrade, to be perfectly honest. But they won't because they aren't on the "frequent flyer" mailing lists.

WWWDD?
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jen C. View Post
    Wow Ian!!!!
    This is exactly what I was trying to say. I suppose it's my wordienss that got me into trouble...Thanks for understanding!
    Your wordiness didn't get you in trouble...it just opened things up in a different light than what you thought...
    I also understand both your and ians point-
    I also have to agree that perhaps upgrading to many people to club level ruins the experience. If you have paid for it and so many have not, cant you complain? Now I know most likely the resort manager will not do much, but maybe if you complain after you get back, than maybe they will give you something. I tend to believe that Disney wants you to be happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, after having read through all the posts, one thing does stand out to me -- most, if not all of the people who have posted that they received a free upgrade were also the ones who have never asked for one! It also seems to me, if I'm remembering correctly, that most of the people who come home from their trip and excitedly report having received an upgrade also received it as a surprise - it was not something they approached the desk planning to ask for.

So - to me, I guess that is good news - just goes to show that Disney does randomly select people to give something "extra" to - it isn't just those that are trying to get something for free on purpose.

I can totally see the point of your original post, Jen, and it's been interesting to see all the differing viewpoints it's brought out!!

I think we all agree, though, that those who pay for a standard room and then approach the situation expecting to be upgraded, and then aren't and complain about it, should just be grateful they have the financial ability to go to WDW at all, and just leave it at that. We have always had a standard room, and have never thought to complain about the fact that it was, indeed, what we paid for -- and it was still great just to be there!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

A little late to the discussion, but nonetheless...

I would never ask for an upgrade unless I was prepare to pay for said upgrade. I'm kicking around the idea of asking how much it would cost to upgrade us to LV when we head to the Poly in Sept, but I would phrase it that way..."Are there any LV rooms available, and how much would it cost us to upgrade?"

I would certainly be a little peeved to find out that someone was generously given an upgrade to what I paid dearly for, but I tend to look at it like this...I'm guaranteeing myself the GVCL at the Poly in Sept by paying for it. I really don't like to leave things to chance, so paying the price is worth the piece of mind, I guess.

As for discounts, my mom got a PIN code for 40% off (she has only been once, in 2007, WITH US), and my friend got one, too (they've only been once, 2008, WITH US). We've gotten squat. (We were able to get a room using my mom's code, though, so we were able to take advantage). I look at it as Disney's already got my family, and they know we'll come back. IT stinks, but I think that's how it works.
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinksmom02 View Post
    IT stinks, but I think that's how it works.
    I don't really think that's how it works. We've been vacationing upwards of 30+ times since the late 1970's and probably have received 10 or 11 discount offers over the years. As I mentioned though, we have been members of the Disney online club for over 10 years and I always check the boxes for "wanting to receive special e-mail offers".

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TammiMcMan View Post
    Put limits on Disney magic , I really hope not. If I'm ever that concerned about what another guest received, it's time for me to look alittle more deeply at myself.
    Thank you for saying this. It is exactly what went through my head as I read this thread.

SFTrny Guest

This is an interesting and difficult thread.

Jen opened up a little bit and shared some of her feelings about something and it provoked a lot of responses...some good, some not. I don't think that it is fair to interpret a feeling as a concsious act. I think that we all feel things that aren't always the most proud of...jealousy, anger, etc. But those are natural feelings. What would be fair to be judgemental about is if Jen or anyone had suggested any inappropriate actions that would have been unfair or unappreciative...but she didn't. She only expressed a feeling to a community of good people that she is a member of.

I like this thread because it challenges us to keep looking for the magic for everyone and to enjoy EVERYONE'S magical moments...even when it is difficult.

I also think that this highlights something that I think all of us WDW addicts would like to see...which is a Frequent Guest rewards program. Just like any other hotel or vacation destination, I think that WDW needs to think about a frequent guest program that offers some rewards to the people and families who return year after year. Something that doesn't require the commitment of DVC.

Post Thanks / Like

A comment was made earlier in the thread that concierge level guests don't have anywhere to be upgraded to. So, I was curious. Is anyone ever upgraded to a suite?
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    A comment was made earlier in the thread that concierge level guests don't have anywhere to be upgraded to. So, I was curious. Is anyone ever upgraded to a suite?
    Yes, we booked a standard club level room and were given a complimentary upgrade to a suite.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    This thread does highlight something I've always found to be quite odd.

Most companies go out of their way to reward frequent customers, but Disney actually seems to go out of their way to neglect theirs. Their attitude has always seemed to be, "Eh. We already get your money. We don't need to offer you anything."

But yet people who are infrequent or spotty customers get all kinds of perks and offers.

I think I find that more annoying than anything else.

Well said!! I agree with you 100%!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wait... How do we know that people who book deluxe never get any kind of free perk? It seems to be the case that free upgrades/offers are pretty infrequent. A few people here have indicated that they're frustrated that the highest paying guests are never given these things. How do you know that no one in that position has never received a free upgrade or offer? Just because you haven't? I think that's making a big assumption.

Now, we're with the people who book exactly what they want and don't expect or ask for anything more. But, just because I don't feel comfortable asking for an upgrade or bargaining in that situation, does that mean I'm going to go so far as to say something insulting to someone who does, lIke call them tacky? No. That's name calling and inappropriate as far as I'm concerned. Isn't it possible to just say that you would choose not to do that or not feel comfortable with it? Does it have to go as far as adding an insult?

And I have to add that I'm thrilled when someone gets a little extra magic at WDW. I love it, I love hearing about it, and I hope people here will keep sharing their stories about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    Wait... How do we know that people who book deluxe never get any kind of free perk?
    They definitely do. We've been upgraded twice after booking club level. I agree though, that upgrades are not very common and the majority are given to those that didn't ask.

Post Thanks / Like

One other thing regarding "all those people who post here asking about free upgrades." There are lots of situations where it's appropriate to negotiate or ask for something extra. Many of the people posting this question may have never, ever stayed at a WDW resort before and are coming here with an honest question, wanting to know how things work. Maybe they've never stayed at any other kind of resort or travelled much at all and this is a huge upcoming trip for them - a first. So they come here to find out how things work and your response is going to be, "You're tacky" and "You're trying to abuse the system"? Really? I've been to WDW a fair number of times and I'm STILL learning new things about it. I've been one of those people who asked an innocent question about how things work and have actually been accused of trying to be dishonest. It's rude an unnecessary. Think about the first time you did anything new and didn't know how things worked and had to ask. There's certainly no harm in giving someone, especially someone new, the benefit of the doubt before you get insulting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TammiMcMan View Post
    They definitely do. We've been upgraded twice after booking club level. I agree though, that upgrades are not very common and the majority are given to those that didn't ask.
    Thanks for that info! That's my impression as well, they're rare and are usually given when not asked for. But I'd never been given the impression that they were only given to people paying the least.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: