Quantcast A different view on those magical upgrades... - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Everything about WDW is magical...and in that come magical upgrades. I personally feel that the upgrades are so few and far between that when they do happen...they happen to the right people. And no I have never received an upgrade...but I am just thrilled to hear that others have. I know that in these times moral is so far down that a magical upgrade may just be what one family needs.
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jen C. View Post
    My family of 5...have been fortunate enought to take advantage of free dining promos in the past, or discounted room rates, etc.

We have only ever stayed on deluxe properties. We typically book a room, club level. Very often, such as at BC, we book deluxe room, club level. It is of course, more expensive, yet to us worth it. We may make sacrifices elsewhere to save the money to travel to WDW this way, but we do it. It is our choice. PLEASE don't get me wrong. I am truly happy when my fellow disney fanatics score great upgrades, but with my most recent ressie, I have found myself a little um...

I do not believe in asking for upgrades. To each their own of course. I believe in reserving and paying for the room you want. We do this. I can't help though, but have my feathers ruffled "a little" when I hear of someone paying significantly less money than I, and staying in the same~or better accomodations. I liken it to how one would feel if they just purchased and paid for a new car, and as they started it up, saw someone else leave the lot with the same thing for a LOT less money just "because".

Anyone share my feelings?
    You say you believe in reserving and getting what you paid for. And although there are those who will work the system, the majority of people get exactly what they paid for (i would guess 95% or so). some who get the upgrades (from values) get them from overbooking.
    Is that their fault ? (I don't think that that is what your complaining about though.)
    What your main statement is about is the few who complained about their rooms to the point where somebody gave them an upgrade to the club level (or perferred room). Thats the part I am saying could be those working the system. But of course, we could give them the benefit of the doubt that there was something truely wrong with what they booked- except for those you cited in your example (about them bragging about it).

Now, I don't look at what the others do. I worry about mysellf and my family. Jelousy can rear its head in a lot of ways, and when someone compares what they have to someone else (or what they paid), jelousy is likley to rear its head. It can get to you.
    I pay for exactly what I want, I expect no more. If the value is right for my family then its all good. I stay away from those bragging on how they beat the system. I don't want to know them, I don't want to be them.
    So in my very longwinded way, I don't let it bug me. I would rather take the long road, like you, and get to the journy at the end with my head held high, knowing that I did the right thing.

So don't let it get to you. The value you get from doing it the way you do has nothing to do with money.

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gregandmel View Post
    The "feeding the homeless" quote was off-base and had nothing to do with what you are talking about and it took me by surprise to see that posted...that was somewhat rude in my opinion.

I agree. Very rude comment. We received a free upgrade to a tower room at CR last fall. I was so shocked I couldn't believe it! We were supposed to be in a garden wing and the guy circled a room on the 6th floor. It took me a minute to realize that the wings don't have a 6th floor! It totally made our vacation magical! But, I would never have asked for it.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

I generally like hearing about guests getting an upgrade - it's a nice surprise that gives you that warm fuzzy feeling. I think most of them occur because Disney made a mistake like they overbooked a category, they want to give a little taste to entice guests to book at a higher level on future trips or there was something really wrong with the room. I don't think this is the type of thing you are talking about. And I know what you mean about people asking for and maybe expecting free upgrades. I think it's because I could never ask for something for nothing. Except for reading & replying to this post, I usually dont spend time thinking about it. Like you, I book the vacation that I want and know will enjoy and go on about my day.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I agree with you totally.

I've always been amazed at how many people on the boards post about asking for a free upgrade.

Maybe it's just me, but I find that tremendously tacky and I would never even consider it.

I'm with you ... pay for what you want and don't expect something for free.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think upgrades are a wonderful part of Disney, it has never happened to us but when it's happened to others I think it's great. We can't afford to stay at the deluxe resorts but we have been very fortunate to be able to go every year for the past 9 years. Our youngest DS has benefited the most( he is the youngest of 7) we were both in Education and all 6 have been through private school, have their BA's and most have their Masters degree. 2 are talking about their Doctorate. We are truly blessed and still have 1 more to go!!Life can be irritating but you are blessed to be at Disney with them. Let the good times roll

Post Thanks / Like

I can't remember ever asking for an upgrade but I certainly don't think it's tacky at all. Like a prior poster said-- people pay different prices for the same car or the same flight. If someone pays full price for a shirt, and someone else buys it for half price a week later, should the person who paid full price be mad at the person who paid half? I don't want to bring religion into this but there is a great parable in the Bible about the workers being paid for working in the vineyards, and all of them being paid the same regardless of the amount of work. There are a couple of morals to the story, but one of them is to not be envious of others just because you got what you deserved. Bottom line, I don't have a problem if someone is upgraded because I've been fortunate in my life and appreciate all those things instead of worrying about what someone else received that I didn't.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daisyhead View Post
    I see it as Disney "gives" the rooms to a guest rather than leave them empty. It's like an extra perk. I would **NEVER** ask for an upgrade. To me it's just a little lucky thing that happens to you. Kind of like finding a lucky penny, you don't look for them, you just happen to come across them.

Isn't it all kind of part of the magic? Am I a bit jealous of people who get lucky enough to stay in a Presidential Suite. Of course. But, it's the kind of jealousy that says, "Lucky them" and moves on.

It's Disney, it's just magical anyway.

I agree 100%. I would NEVER ask for an upgrade either. That is NOT my style. But, we've been lucky on our past 2 trips to the Polynesian and have been upgraded from a Garden View to a Lagoon View. I'd like to think it's a result of being polite at check-in, or nice on the phone, or maybe because we're such frequent visitors. I don't know their logic. But I, too, look at it as a treat and a way that they are sharing their magic.

I figure I'm at Disney. I'd be happy no matter what room I was in!

Post Thanks / Like

It appears that my original intent of this post was misunderstood by many. I apologize fo rmy lack of clarity.
    I am not jealous of those who are upgraded. I am frustrated that those of us who pay for those type of rooms are never offered "discounts" on them at the check in desk, or an upgrade to a water park and more option on our tickets, etc. If you are booking the best room in the house, there is no where else to be "upgraded". I realize it sounds kind of childish, but I was under the assumption that these upgrades happen rather frequently. Perhaps that was a mistake on my part. I certainly am not "blaming" the recipient, but rather questioning the logic of the sytem.

As I mentioned in my OP, I am thrilled for those fellow WDW fans that get upgraded. Especially those celebrating a monumentous occassion, etc. I just wanted to show the OTHER side of upgrades that is rarely talked about. Weekly on these boards you see someone asking about free upgrades. I just wanted people to stop and think take a look at another angle.
    Jen :)

CR-1981
    offsite-1985
    Marriott Grande Vista 2002
    WL 2004
    Poly 2005
    CR Atrium Club 2006
    Poly 2007
    Beach Club CL, Grand Floridian 2008
    Beach Club CL 2009
    GF Royal Palm Club CL 2010
    WL CL 2011
    CR Presidential Suite 2012
    BC Club Level 2012
    Poly CL 2015

Post Thanks / Like

First: Well said MarkC!

I personally understand the OP's thoughts. My sister once got an upgrade from a value to a moderate. My family and her family were going down during an overlap. We paid for the moderate we were staying at, she paid for a value. Did the thought "I wish we got a free upgrade." pass through my mind, "Yes", was I happy for her, "Yes". The feelings were mixed, because of course, you wish it were you.

Last year, we were given an upgrade to a waterview. It was a nice surprise, and we were grateful. However, we did not ask or expect it. We also will not expect one this year. We paid for a standard, we will expect a standard.

Just remember, when you go, you paid for what you want, you will most likely get what you want. For those who pay for less and expect more, then there is a good chance they will be dissapointed. I do not know about you, but that is not how I want to start my vacation.
    Lori Ann
    Mother of twin 9 year old girls
    Dixie Landings 11/96 (honeymoon)
    Dixie Landings/Cruise 12/2000
    CBR 11/2005
    Riverside - 9/2006,
    FQ - 11/2007, 9/2008, 9/2009
    CSR 5/2010, AKL 5/2010 (split stay)
    FQ 11/2010
    CSR 11/2011
    CBR 05/2012
    GF 06/2012
    CSR 11/2012

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jen C. View Post
    It appears that my original intent of this post was misunderstood by many. I apologize fo rmy lack of clarity.
    I am not jealous of those who are upgraded. I am frustrated that those of us who pay for those type of rooms are never offered "discounts" on them at the check in desk, or an upgrade to a water park and more option on our tickets, etc. If you are booking the best room in the house, there is no where else to be "upgraded". I realize it sounds kind of childish, but I was under the assumption that these upgrades happen rather frequently. Perhaps that was a mistake on my part. I certainly am not "blaming" the recipient, but rather questioning the logic of the sytem.

As I mentioned in my OP, I am thrilled for those fellow WDW fans that get upgraded. Especially those celebrating a monumentous occassion, etc. I just wanted to show the OTHER side of upgrades that is rarely talked about. Weekly on these boards you see someone asking about free upgrades. I just wanted people to stop and think take a look at another angle.
    I do really understand your angle, because I would absolutely love to recieve a 40% off PIN for November/December. I have NEVER received a PIN and wonder if it is because we have gone so often. My MIL got a 40% flyer this year and she hasn't gone in years and has NEVER stayed on site.

I keep my fingers crossed that someday I will get that PIN or something just as good. This year we are going in September, because I booked with a 'bounce back' offer and could not convince myself to cancel and stay when I REALLY wanted to, November. It would have cost us around $1300 more.... so, I will take a vacation in September instead.... not a complaint just a statement.
    Lori Ann
    Mother of twin 9 year old girls
    Dixie Landings 11/96 (honeymoon)
    Dixie Landings/Cruise 12/2000
    CBR 11/2005
    Riverside - 9/2006,
    FQ - 11/2007, 9/2008, 9/2009
    CSR 5/2010, AKL 5/2010 (split stay)
    FQ 11/2010
    CSR 11/2011
    CBR 05/2012
    GF 06/2012
    CSR 11/2012

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

This thread does highlight something I've always found to be quite odd.

Most companies go out of their way to reward frequent customers, but Disney actually seems to go out of their way to neglect theirs. Their attitude has always seemed to be, "Eh. We already get your money. We don't need to offer you anything."

But yet people who are infrequent or spotty customers get all kinds of perks and offers.

I think I find that more annoying than anything else.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Jen C., I completely understand what you are talking about. We also book exactly the resort, view, and level we want because that is where we want to be and have no problem paying for it as I'm sure most people do as well. I am very happy for guests who receive upgrades for what ever reason - I'm a lousy gambler so I pay for what I want.

However, I had booked a special celebration for my Mom last fall at the BC concierge. When we checked in people next to me were receiving free concierge upgrades and over the course of the week I heard others in the lounge talking about their free upgrades. At the time of check in, the concierge cast member even said to me shocked like "Oh you actually booked concierge". Due to what appeared to us as Disney filling their concierge level, several suprises I had scheduled for my Mom were not done as requested (they were paid for by me). Over the course of the week we could barely get near a concierge person for assistance. The staff seemed overwhelmed with the crowd. If Disney is going to give upgrades during slower times, they should have the level staffed to handle it as they would during the busy months.
    Next Trip: 2019-Yacht Club
    Resorts Stayed At Since 1994
    :
    Yacht Club (9 times)
    Beach Club (10 times)
    Animal Kingdom Lodge (1 time)
    Caribbean Beach (3 times)
    Dixie Landings (1 time)
    Contemporary Resort (1 time)

1987 Disney Music Days-Marched in EPCOT!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well said Ian! We have made numerous trips to the world and have never received a pin code or discount code or upgrade. Am I mad, no, because I count my blessings that I am actually able to make the trips we do, not saying that you don't. We stay at moderates and never expect or ask for an upgrade. It does not annoy me that people get upgraded or get free perks even if they ask for them although I do think it's tacky. When you think of the millions of people who visit each year and the percentage of those who get upgraded it's probably quite small. Look how hard it is to request a room location let alone get an upgrade to a better resort, lol. If in fact Disney likes to give these things to nonfrequent visitors think of it this way. That upgrade may have gone to a family that has saved years to be there or someone who really needs the magic, not to uncommon in this economy. I would rather think of it that way then become upset that someone else got something they did not pay for.
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

Jen, it looks like you're going almost every year and like to stay at Deluxe resorts, which is similar to our family. Have you ever considered buying into DVC? We did through the Timeshare Store and will save thousands and thousands of dollars the next 30+ years. Then you don't have to worry about finding a discount, etc. Plus, for us our kids are 19 and 17 and in a couple years we would be paying extra for 4 adults vs. 2. A night at the Beach Club would be around $400. If you are planning to visit Disney every year or two it will more than pay off in a hurry. Just a thought. It really worked for us. Mark
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Most companies go out of their way to reward frequent customers, but Disney actually seems to go out of their way to neglect theirs. Their attitude has always seemed to be, "Eh. We already get your money. We don't need to offer you anything."
    Chains like the Marriott though are competing with hundreds of others for your business dollars. And they aren't necessarily after the average vacationer either, they target business travelers. Disney isn't really competing with anyone. It doesn't seem to be a problem for them to get customers back a second time. In fact, I think many guests repeatedly choose Disney as their yearly vacation destination.

Would it be nice to have a perk or two, yes, but realistically, I'm not even sure what that would be or how they would track it. We're not talking about the most technically advanced in terms of their reservation systems . The Disney Cruse Line has something called the Castaway Club, which offers repeat customers a chance to make certain reservations a few days earlier than anyone else and there's a little gift in your stateroom. Nothing big, but just a nice thank you for booking with them again.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

1. I don't think free upgrades happen that often
    2. People who book a lesser room hoping for an upgrade will likely be disappointed. That's not a smart way to plan a vacation IMHO.
    3. I think asking for an upgrade is tacky. I don't mind when someone gets an upgrade as a surprise because that's Disney magic, but asking is awfully presumptuous.
    4. I try not to think about what other people have paid for their rooms. Someone is always going to find a better deal and there's no sense dwelling on it.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Complimentary upgrades are a good way for Disney to enhance a guest's experience, or to reward a regular guest. We appreciated the previous upgrades that we received-WL, woods view to courtyard and a YC upgrade to water view. We always book a savannah view room when staying at AKL.

Problems occur when people arrive with the expectation of receiving an upgrade. Occasionally some look for an upgrade from a value resort to a castle view room at the Poly. Unfortunately, some people are looking to abuse the system.

Post Thanks / Like

OP, I can understand your frustration. It is very hard when you are loyal to disney, return again and again and pay for just what you want. I had never really thought about that... how DO you give an upgrade to someone in a room that is typically the upgrade?

I too would NEVER ask for an upgrade. I think it is in bad taste, personally. If you want something different, pay for it. I would also never demand an upgrade because I was complaining about something. If you get a surprise upgrade, it is magic. Our trip in May, my DS4 had fallen in the airport and had to go to the ER and get stitches. DH stayed with him and I went ahead with my other two kids and mom. It was a horrible, stressful first day, and they didnt end up arriving until the next day. I was really frazzled. With the 4/3 deal we were able to afford the WL which was my DREAM resort. The sweet CM upgraded us to courtyard view even though we had booked standard. I just lost it! I was so shocked, and this added such a nice little treat to our very difficult day. Its upgrades like this that go so far! And you can bet that I thanked her over and over and over!!!!
    Tracy, mom to 4 budding disney fans!
    Multiple trips as a child, 3/90- offsite/Magic Music Days,3/93- CBR, 5/99- ASMo, 5/06- POFQ, 2/07-Disneyland/offsite, 5/09- WL, 3/10 disneyland/offsite
    Next up... Oct 2012, windsor hills

Post Thanks / Like

I personally, beleive that upgrades should NEVER NEVER EVER be asked for.
    But quite often we have been awarded them without asking for anything & I do not have a problem with this. I do not feel guilty, nor am I in anyway bothered when we do not recieve one. We always stay in a resort or room that we would be comfortable without any upgrades & plan on not expecting one.
    I guess I just view it as one of those things that can never be fair (IE - good tables in resutarnts or wait times for rides, some times you just "luck out" sometimes not, but I can't begrudge those that do)
    Plus, I feel like when we're upgraded the room was just going to be empty anyway (obviously, if every single suite or club level room whatever was full, there would be no opening for them to upgrade me to) So if the room is just going to go unused, sure I don't have a problem withthen awading it to me. If nothing else, at least it will be better off for Housekeeping (I mean that in a general statement, I know I wouldn't necessarily have the same housekeeper if I was in the 2 different levels of rooms) since we tip about twice as much in a suite vs. a standard room

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: