Quantcast A different view on those magical upgrades...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A different view on those magical upgrades...

My family of 5, makes annual visits to WDW. We typically travel in the early fall, and have been fortunate enought to take advantage of free dining promos in the past, or discounted room rates, etc.

We have only ever stayed on deluxe properties. We typically book a room, club level. Very often, such as at BC, we book deluxe room, club level. It is of course, more expensive, yet to us worth it. We may make sacrifices elsewhere to save the money to travel to WDW this way, but we do it. It is our choice. PLEASE don't get me wrong. I am truly happy when my fellow disney fanatics score great upgrades, but with my most recent ressie, I have found myself a little um...

I do not believe in asking for upgrades. To each their own of course. I believe in reserving and paying for the room you want. We do this. I can't help though, but have my feathers ruffled "a little" when I hear of someone paying significantly less money than I, and staying in the same~or better accomodations. I liken it to how one would feel if they just purchased and paid for a new car, and as they started it up, saw someone else leave the lot with the same thing for a LOT less money just "because".

Anyone share my feelings?
    Jen :)

CR-1981
    offsite-1985
    Marriott Grande Vista 2002
    WL 2004
    Poly 2005
    CR Atrium Club 2006
    Poly 2007
    Beach Club CL, Grand Floridian 2008
    Beach Club CL 2009
    GF Royal Palm Club CL 2010
    WL CL 2011
    CR Presidential Suite 2012
    BC Club Level 2012
    Poly CL 2015

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I should elaborate a little further and share that of course, like most Americans, the economy has caused us to not be doing as well this year financially, as we were last year. We can still afford to travel, pay cash, and have our emergency fund safe and sound. But if I am choosing to spend our hard earned money this way, I am feeling a little more possesive of the "you get what you pay for" . You know?

I know why WDW does it. That's not what bothers me. I realize it is to get more people to spend their money next timeon those types of accomodations. But at what point will people start to say, "I'm not going to pay for this this time, because I have a decent chance of getting it for free?"
    Last edited by Jen C.; 07-16-2009 at 08:11 PM. Reason: add

CR-1981
    offsite-1985
    WL 2004
    Poly 2005
    CR Atrium Club 2006
    Poly 2007
    Beach Club CL 2009
    WL CL 2011
    BC Club Level 2012
    Poly CL 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Prior to joining DVC, we always stayed at Deluxe and never asked for or received an upgrade. As DVC members staying on our points, we certainly have never received an upgrade. I didn't even think Disney gave upgrades unless some mistake or overbooking was made.

I guess if someone wants to ask there's nothing stopping them really. Are upgrades something that Disney does?
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

So someone shouldn't feed the homeless, because you had to pay for your full stomach?

Post Thanks / Like

Occasionally, Disney has upgraded folks. On our first trip to Disneyland, we were upgraded to concierge level (of course we were only staying one night in that hotel). We've never received a major upgrade at Disney World. However, we did stay club level last year and spoke with other folks who had been very unhappy with their original room assignment (I forget what their issues were) and had been upgraded to Club Level.

Yes, people randomly get upgraded. For the mot part, though, I think most people end up with wht they paid for.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of believe that those who speak up in this world get more.I used to be the shy,quiet one who basically got nothing because I kept my mouth shut but over the years I've learned to speak up.Of course I don't believe in getting rude but I don't see anything wrong in asking for a possible upgrade.I think that it's good business to give your customers a bonus if a room is available,it may bring them back as a repeat customer.I know the feeling about buying a car only to have a neighbor get the same one for thousands less but that's life.I'd love to see Disney upgrade every thousandth customer at a value to a deluxe.Some people will never have the opportunity to stay at one because of financial reasons and I think that it would be cool to pass it on a little.Just my .
    Poly10/75
    FWCabins3/93Poly11/01
    CBR4/05PORand BC2/06Pop11/06
    MarriottGrandeVista5/07
    CBR9/07
    Pop1/08
    POFQ5/08
    CS 9/08
    POFQ 5/09
    CBR9/09
    HRH11/09
    POFQ/POLY5/10
    WL12/10
    Allstar Music1/11
    POFQ 5/11
    OKW 3/31/12
    SSR 9/13
    CBR 9/14
    POR9/16
    CB Univ

Avatar in remembrance of my Dear Old Dad "Big Al"

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really suppose it is any worse than finding something you really wanted and finally saved up for and bought just went on sale at a different store. It's just the luck of the draw, fate, whate ever you want to call it. Most people who ask do not recieve free upgrades. And if you are lucky enough to get something for free, please thank the person who is giving it to you. Make their day just like they made yours.

Post Thanks / Like

It is my hope that those who have received "free" upgrades and perks have played it forward in some manner and brightened someone else's day too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald72 View Post
    So someone shouldn't feed the homeless, because you had to pay for your full stomach?
    ABSOLUTELY not nearly the same thing. If you knew me even a little, you'd realize how far off base this is.

CR-1981
    offsite-1985
    WL 2004
    Poly 2005
    CR Atrium Club 2006
    Poly 2007
    Beach Club CL 2009
    WL CL 2011
    BC Club Level 2012
    Poly CL 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Life is like that. Someone may pay thousands less for their car because they have better negotiating skills or better credit. Some people get more pay because they were better communicators during their interview. Personally, I think it's great to sprinkle some magic into people's lives. Although we can afford deluxes, I prefer Pop Century over all the other resorts we've tried. I'm not sure an upgrade would be such a great thing for me.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MonoMan View Post
    It is my hope that those who have received "free" upgrades and perks have played it forward in some manner and brightened someone else's day too.
    Beautiful!

CR-1981
    offsite-1985
    WL 2004
    Poly 2005
    CR Atrium Club 2006
    Poly 2007
    Beach Club CL 2009
    WL CL 2011
    BC Club Level 2012
    Poly CL 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Life is like that. Someone may pay thousands less for their car because they have better negotiating skills or better credit. Some people get more pay because they were better communicators during their interview. Personally, I think it's great to sprinkle some magic into people's lives. Although we can afford deluxes, I prefer Pop Century over all the other resorts we've tried. I'm not sure an upgrade would be such a great thing for me.
    Cinderelly, I do agree with you. However, good credit is usually earned. And to the best of my knowledge, there is no "negotiating" rates at WDW. I, too, like to add magic whenever and wherever I can to others lives. I just have witnessed after several years as a member on these boards, that many people are actually booking a leseser room than they want, in an attempt to get a free upgrade. Specifically, i have heard much chatter of those at AK. They realize that there are few standard rooms, and have heard of numerous upgrades to savannah rroms. They go, and are disappointed if they are not upgraded.
    I think luck is fabulous. Take a lottery for example. Tickets are $1. You can buy as many as you want. But everyone pays the same, per chance, for a shot at the prize.

I never imagined this would be such a hot button issue. Perhaps a moderator should lock it up. I know personall, the gentleman who gave the hungry/homeless example has me quite hurt. It was certainly not my intention to do that to anyone reading this. I was just thinking aloud, which I thought was the purpose of these forums. My sincerest of apologies.

CR-1981
    offsite-1985
    WL 2004
    Poly 2005
    CR Atrium Club 2006
    Poly 2007
    Beach Club CL 2009
    WL CL 2011
    BC Club Level 2012
    Poly CL 2015

Post Thanks / Like

The lottery analogy was a good one. With the possibility of upgrades many will 'take a chance' with a lesser priced room. We see it all the time with cruises. My personal philosophy is to buy what you want, if someone offers or grants an upgrade, great! But, not getting it will not in any way ruin my Magical Experience.
    nicci
    1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 ASM
    2004 CSR
    2006 ASM
    2007 CBR
    2009 CBR
    2019 CBR
    DL 1971 to now - too many times to count, DL AP holder & Disney stockholder

Post Thanks / Like

The "feeding the homeless" quote was off-base and had nothing to do with what you are talking about and it took me by surprise to see that posted...that was somewhat rude in my opinion.

If you are paying premium price and the guy behind just "asks" politely and gets the same thing for wayyyy less $$, then yeah, it's going to bother me, too.. But honestly, there are upgrades out there but I think that by and large, people are getting what they pay for. Look at how many people are on these boards and only a relative few (in comparison) actually receive an upgrade of some sort. Paying the premium price guarantees that you are going to get exactly what you want to make your Disney trip what you want it to be. Those that pay far less and 'hope' to get an upgrade to something fantastic will be few and far between. Don't get me wrong though - I'd never turn down a great upgrade if it were offered, but I don't think I would ask.

Enjoy your trip!
    Melinda

Trips:

Offsite - June 1997
    WL - October 2008
    POFQ - April/May 2010

RPH - Universal - May 7th-11th 2014
    POFQ - Sept. 27-30, 2014 (just the two of us!)
    Royal Pacific Hotel - Universal - June 27th - July 1st, 2015
    POFQ - Sept 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Smile How wonderful

that you are able to spend time at WDW with your family in a way that makes you happy!

I personally love to hear about people getting upgraded and/or having unexpected magical thngs happen to them while at WDW. It just makes me happy!

I've never picked up any sense that people feel entitled to upgrades, but maybe that's because I don't feel entitled to upgrades.

I'm just happy we get to go as a family and enjoy ourselves!

Tess
    poly07
    poly08
    pop09
    pop09--1st time experiencing the holiday season at WDW--can't wait!

Only about twenty-five miles away from the most magical place on Earth
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alaMode View Post
    I personally love to hear about people getting upgraded and/or having unexpected magical thngs happen to them while at WDW. It just makes me happy!
    That's exactly the way I feel. I love hearing that people get extra perks at Walt Disney World - it only adds to the fun they have!

I personally see nothing wrong with free upgrades. It is just an extra perk that may or may not happen. If it happens to you - be happy, and if it happens to someone else - be happy for them.

I try not to pay attention to what other people pay and be happy for the price I got. It's great how you work to get low prices!

Post Thanks / Like

I see it as Disney "gives" the rooms to a guest rather than leave them empty. It's like an extra perk. I would **NEVER** ask for an upgrade. To me it's just a little lucky thing that happens to you. Kind of like finding a lucky penny, you don't look for them, you just happen to come across them.

Isn't it all kind of part of the magic? Am I a bit jealous of people who get lucky enough to stay in a Presidential Suite. Of course. But, it's the kind of jealousy that says, "Lucky them" and moves on.

It's Disney, it's just magical anyway.

Poly Dec 2010
    CR Dec. 2009
    POR Sept. 2008
    POP & AKL June 2007
    WDW Dolphin July 2006
    WDW Dolphin March 2002

Treehouse Villas as a kid...that's where it all began!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't feel bad, OP - I understood what you meant.

I'd be lying if I didn't say that I wish I could get some wonderful upgrade, but I never have and would never expect it. I guess it's a "Disney Dream" - but Disney is so wonderful that if I DON'T ever get one, then I know I'll still be okay. I wish I could say honestly that it wouldn't bother me if someone got upgraded right in front of me and I didn't. And I might (I'm hopeful, anyway!) But I think there'd be a little envy sneaking into my mind, too.

I kind of wish I'd get some awseome upgrade or would win a trip - but, then again, after getting to do WDW as perfectly as I could, would I ever be able to go "back" and not be sad?!? I don't know that either!

I do understand what you mean. Sure, some days I wish EVERYONE could have a magical day and win cool Disney perks - but some days I wish they'd be JUST FOR ME (evil grin!)

I get what you're saying about "fairness", too, and I can see exactly what you mean.

Still, I'm the adult that actually thought our family WOULD WIN the night at Cinderella's castle last trip for one day - and was ACTUALLY disappointed (just a LITTLE bit!) that we didn't... I'm a dreamer!

-Sarah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jen C. View Post
    I liken it to how one would feel if they just purchased and paid for a new car, and as they started it up, saw someone else leave the lot with the same thing for a LOT less money just "because".
    This happens all the time though. I think I'm a very good negotiator and people have been shocked at what I've paid for a car, while they paid much more. And another example, I could pay $300 for a flight, because it's the time I want to fly, only to have it cancelled and be stuck on an earlier flight where people paid $99 instead. Or pay the $300 and have the person sitting next to me only paying $49 because the airline decided at that moment they needed to open up some bargain prices.

Bottom line, if I'm willing to pay the price for the view, the room, the resort, whatever, that's my choice. If someone gets it for less through a pin code, awesome upgrade or whatever, that's great for them. I guess it's good to know though, that if I'm behind you in line and they're passing out upgrades, that you would turn it down and maybe I would be the lucky recipient .
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I am perfectly fine with Disney upgrading, assuming it is their actions. Asking for an upgrade of any kind is tacky and would never do it. I book the room I am comfortable with and leave it at that.
    Upcoming Trips
    Villas at Grand Californian - 11/2012

Recent Trips
    Old Key West - 12/2011
    Contemporary - 05/2011
    Beach Club Villas - 03/2011
    Villas at Grand Californian - 12/2010
    Hilton Head Island - 5/2010
    Boardwalk Villas - 9/09

DVC Member - Villas at Grand Californian

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: