Quantcast Disney's A Christmas Carol (in Theaters Nov. 6) - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy Grandmother View Post

I agree with you completely! I was very disappointed. Also, I would not take a young child to see it.
    Just curious to anyone who has seen it- about not taking young kids- why? Are there scary/frightening parts?
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by valjane View Post
    Well, I'm disappointed. I've seen every version of A Christmas Carol-- it's one of my favorite stories of all time. But this version was too dark. Weird and even silly in some places.

It had good moments but was probably the least compelling telling of this tale I've seen on film.
    I could not agree more!! I left this movie really disappointed and feeling a little creeped out, not Christmasy at all. I understand that there are some very dark themes and parts to the story line, but it seems like Disney took them and made them extremely dark and creepy. I absolutely would not take young kids to see this movie. I think they'd be scared out of their minds. In fact, there were a couple of kids in the theater when I saw it on Saturday - probably no older than 3 or 4 - who started crying when Jacob Marley showed up.

And, I'm sorry, but WHAT was up with the ghost of Christmas Past? Am I totally missing something there??

A Christmas Carol is my favorite Christmas movie and I have it in many different versions, all of which I love, but this definitely will not be added to my collection. I think Disney missed the mark on this.
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

My 3 kids and I love the Polar Express and watch it quite a few times during Christmas (and sometimes my youngest watches it throughout the year - he's a big train fan). My wife and I were planning on taking the kids to see A Christmas Carol this weekend...but then I read the Detroit News' review calling it "creepy" and then the reviews here...having second thoughts now as my kids are 6 and under.

Can anyone ellaborate further on why it was disappointing and creapy...and scary? Thanks!
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofster View Post
    My 3 kids and I love the Polar Express and watch it quite a few times during Christmas (and sometimes my youngest watches it throughout the year - he's a big train fan). My wife and I were planning on taking the kids to see A Christmas Carol this weekend...but then I read the Detroit News' review calling it "creepy" and then the reviews here...having second thoughts now as my kids are 6 and under.

Can anyone ellaborate further on why it was disappointing and creapy...and scary? Thanks!

There are a few specific parts that I thought were pretty creepy and could be scary for young kids. I don't want to give too much away for the people who have not seen the movie yet, but they are:

-When Jacob Marley visits Scrooge, his jaw falls open, and let's just say he has a hard time getting it back into place

-The ghost of Christmas Past hisses and sounds like a snake when he talks (part of his character, but still weird)

-The "children" that are under the ghost of Christmas Present's robe, Ignorance and Want, seem evil and they "grow up" into criminals and a psychotic person in a straight jacket

-Scrooge falling into a glowing red coffin buried deep in the earth when he is visited by the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

-Scrooge being chased by black horses with glowing red eyes when he is visited by the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Overall, the movie just had a very creepy vibe to it. It was not Christmasy at all, except for the last 10 minutes or so. I wouldn't recommend taking your kids if they are 6 and under unless you know they do not scare easily.
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks...this helps in our decison on whether to take the kids!
    Up Next:

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Laprana. My 7 year old daughter spent the second half of the movie in my lap. This is the same girl who used to watch Van Helsing at age 3. I actually enjoyed it myself. I would be very wary of bringing any child under 8 to this movie unless they love being frightened.
    '74 Contemporary
    '76 Contemporary

'90 CBR
    '97 Off Site
    '00 Swan
    '05 GF
    '08 GF RPC
    '09 GF RPC-Short SURPRISE trip for kids
    '11 GF RPC

'12 Contemporary
    '14 GF RPC
    '15 DL VGC
    '16 VGF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laprana View Post
    There are a few specific parts that I thought were pretty creepy and could be scary for young kids. I don't want to give too much away for the people who have not seen the movie yet, but they are:

-When Jacob Marley visits Scrooge, his jaw falls open, and let's just say he has a hard time getting it back into place

-The ghost of Christmas Past hisses and sounds like a snake when he talks (part of his character, but still weird)

-The "children" that are under the ghost of Christmas Present's robe, Ignorance and Want, seem evil and they "grow up" into criminals and a psychotic person in a straight jacket

-Scrooge falling into a glowing red coffin buried deep in the earth when he is visited by the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

-Scrooge being chased by black horses with glowing red eyes when he is visited by the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Overall, the movie just had a very creepy vibe to it. It was not Christmasy at all, except for the last 10 minutes or so. I wouldn't recommend taking your kids if they are 6 and under unless you know they do not scare easily.
    And don't forget

The Ghost of Christmas Present's body decomposing right there in front of Scrooge.

There were several small kids (I'd say ages 3 to 5) who were taken out of the theater by their parents when I went to see this. Some of them had their hands over their eyes!

I just didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling from this movie at all.
    ~ valerie ~

* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Contemporary * Polynesian * Wilderness Lodge * Tree House Villas * Golf Resort/Disney Inn * Fort Wilderness * Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter * Caribbean Beach * Swan * All Star Sports Music Movies * Coronado Springs * Pop Century *

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by valjane View Post
    And don't forget

The Ghost of Christmas Present's body decomposing right there in front of Scrooge.
    Oh yeah! I forgot about that one...blech.
    Laura

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with everyone on the darkness of the movie. My 9 year old said he just didn't get it when the Ghost of Christmas Present just decomposed like that and he said he didn't like the "scary children" under his robe. I didn't get what the Christmas Past ghost was supposed to be either. My 10 year old fell asleep!

I enjoyed it, but was disappointed at the same time. I enjoyed the 3D graphics, they were awsome, but disappointed about the $45 for the 4 of us to see it!

Although the Alice in Wonderland previews looked pretty cool! Now THAT is a movie to see in 3D!
    Shelley
    Do you believe in Magic?

Jan. 2001 - AS Music
    Nov. 2003 - AS Movies
    May 2004 - AS Movies
    Nov. 2005 - Pop Century
    Nov. 2007 - Pop Century
    Nov. 2010 - AS Sports
    Nov. 2013 - Caribbean Beach
    Jan. 2016 - Pop Century
    Nov. 2017 - AS Music/AK Lodge - Brand new DVC Members!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to update--taught my unit on "A Christmas Carol" last week. Big hit with the kids. Friday I made handouts for them about the lives of Victorian children, and they worked in groups to read and make murals. One boy had missed the reading part and was hoping to just jump right into the art part... His buddy quickly reeled him in with, "Well, you better get to readin', pal." The next thing I knew I heard them rapping the story! One little guy was doing all the sound effects, and the other was quietly rapping his way through to get his friend to stay with it. I laughed so hard! Charles Dickens would have gotten a kick out of that! Whatever works!
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we ended up taking our kids to see it. Overall, my DD6 enjoyed it (she asked to get it on DVD when it comes out), my DS5 was a "little" scared at times...but never moved from his seat...and my DS3 sat in my lap with his hands over his ears quite a bit, but other than that didn't mind it.

Overall, I liked it, but was disappointed at some of the unnecessary darkness:

1) Jacob's jaw falling off really scared my DS5 because it was loud and a little too drawn out. I turned to him and said, "Do you like the movie?" And he shook his head 'yes', but then looked at me and said 'No' in a sad voice. I asked him if he wanted to leave and he said 'no' and went back to eating his popcorn. After Marley "fixed" his jaw, he did laugh at the way Marley was speaking and was fine after that.

2) The death of the Christmas Present spirit. The skeleton was completely unnecessary for kids to see along with the screaming from the Ignorance and Want characters. That could have been deleted.

3) The Jim Carrey humor was really lacking. There were a few bits and pieces here and there, but overall, I think a bit more Carrey-style humor would have been nice to offset the heavy tone of the film.

The horses with the red eyes didn't really do much of anything for the kids. And the coffin at the end didn't scare them as a similar scene can be found in Mickey's Christmas Carol (which the kids have watched a dozen times).

So, overall, the kids were frightened during a few parts, but liked the movie overall. My DD6 said she would see it again, while my DS5 was a little indifferent about it. My DS3 could not have cared less.
    Up Next:

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Talking A Christmas Carol w/Jim Carrey

This movie has got to be one of the best. We saw it in an IMAX 3D theater. It was well done. I can see a future Disney ride in it. Of course, it would be a dark ride. The action, sound, graphics, and music was great. It is not for younger children as they would get scared. But for us, it was great. It had all the elements of surprise, suspense,action packed, and with the IMAX theater it was like you were part of the movie. I give this movie:
    Keep smiling and Have a magical day!!!
    It's all good.

We love to serve fun, food, and deliciousness.

AKA: Jean and Marty

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we saw it yesterday in 3-D (not IMAX though) and we liked it. However, my boys are 10 and 12 (have seen a few versions before too) so they were not scared. It did have some parts that I could see would be scary for smaller or more sensitve kids. I would stick with Mickey's Christmas Carol on video/dvd if you think your kids would get upset or frightened.

For older kids, and adults, I give it a.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Another update: Took our middle school kids to see it last Thursday--big hit with them! I'd introduced them to it and given them some vocabulary. It was so funny to hear them whispering to each other when they recognized words ("That's GRUel!") Hilarious. I'm just happy they're aware of Charles Dickens now, and that they totally 'got' the meaning. It was heartwarming to hear them burst into applause when Scrooge's character had some character revisions.... They clapped a long time at the end, too, and had fun discussing it the next day.
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

I saw it, and I was majorly disappointed. I'm 17, and it scared me in some parts. The story was just too creepy for me. I definately didn't have a Christmas-y feeling when I left. I guess I'm too used to Muppets and Mickey.
    I didn't see it in 3D, but I really liked the animation. But that's about the only positive thing I can say about the movie.
    All of our dream can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

Remember, we must always believe in our wishes, for they are the magic in the world.

Current CM at MK! If you're in Adventureland and craving Dole, Ice Cream, or an eggroll, look for Sarah from Front Royal, VA and say Hi!

Post Thanks / Like

I heard mixed reviews from friends, and since its no longer showing in 3D with Avatar taking over those screens I am going to pass on this film. I really wanted to see it just to see the 3D work, but I figure odds are it will be out again next year.

It's so strange that it seems people expected the story to so much more bright and merry ... Charles Dickens stories are generally pretty dark and ominous with a strong message, and from the extended previews I have seen it seems that the story fits the original telling of A Christmas Carol.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NotaGeek View Post
    I heard mixed reviews from friends, and since its no longer showing in 3D with Avatar taking over those screens I am going to pass on this film. I really wanted to see it just to see the 3D work, but I figure odds are it will be out again next year.

It's so strange that it seems people expected the story to so much more bright and merry ... Charles Dickens stories are generally pretty dark and ominous with a strong message, and from the extended previews I have seen it seems that the story fits the original telling of A Christmas Carol.
    The 3D was definitely great. I personally think you would like it. I'm surprised you never got to see it, I remember you being so excited for it with the train tour and everything.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    The 3D was definitely great. I personally think you would like it. I'm surprised you never got to see it, I remember you being so excited for it with the train tour and everything.
    I agree! The movie came out in November, and it was just to early to be Chrismtassy ... and then over the holiday I just never seemed to get to the theater to check it out. i need a movie buddy here in Phoenix!
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

I took ds6 to see this and even he loved it he walks around saying bah humbug all the time now. He even asked to get it on dvd the same day we saw it. I'm sure we will watch it again next year.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: