Quantcast Deadly Disney World Monorail Crash-Updated with NTSB Report - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts and prayers are with the family of the driver. Whether it was driver error or system failure, it is still a tragedy. I thank God that there were no guests riding up front.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Reading up on MAPO (thanks Victor) I don't even see how this could possibly have happened. Will see what investigators turn up. I'm just heartsick over it this morning. And to think of WDW functioning without monorail on such a busy day, not that it matters considering the safety of guests is paramount and the loss of the driver is so sad.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

This just doesn't make sense unless either the driver was incapacitated in some way [asleep, already passed away, other medical issue] and the computer safety system [MAPO] completely failed.

The only other option which I shudder to consider is that it was intentional. If the MAPO was overridden, there's no way the pilot could have not seen the train ahead if he was conscious.

We are supposed to go next week and my DW is a basket case...she says she'll never ride again but it's my DS's favorite attraction so that seems unlikely...

My condolences to all affected by this tragedy.

Post Thanks / Like

very sad. Prayers to the CMs family and for all involved.

Post Thanks / Like

Its such a horrible thing. When anyone gets killed in an accident, it is terrible. When it is a young person with his whole life before him, it is most tragic. I can only feel pain for his family. May they find peace.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Just horrible! Thoughts and prayers to the family and friends of this young man and all who witnessed the accident.
    Poly Concierge Jan. 2000 - Poly Concierge Jan. 2004 - Pop Century Nov. 2004 (1 night) - CBR Nov. 2004 - Poly Club Level Jan 2010. Wyndham Bonnet Creek December 2013!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Living in DC and having a similar thing just happen here on our metro system... what are the chances the same thing would happen twice in a few weeks time. Especially given both systems have collision avoidance systems.
    That was my thought too, John. It appeared to be a similar situation, except that the moving training hit the stationary train head-on, instead of from the rear.

Very sad.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Goof42;1915763]This just doesn't make sense unless either the driver was incapacitated in some way [asleep, already passed away, other medical issue] and the computer safety system [MAPO] completely failed.
    QUOTE]

First off, my thoughts and prayers to the families of the CM and to all those involved.

This was my exact thoughts too, how weird.

I refused to watch the rest of that video as soon as I saw what it was. To think that someones thoughts were to get this on video and then sell it to a news agency makes me sick! If this CM's family saw this video they would probaby be even more heart broken then what they already are. But this is just MHO.

Anyway again, thoughts and prayers to the families.
    Also cute and fluffy!!!!!
    Blue punch-buggy, no punch back!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Just watched that video and it is aweful and sickening... The driver had to collide at a high rate of speed, I would think, to do such damage... And those kids on the platform having to witness that, I could only imagine what is going through their minds.... I think I will no longer ride in the front of the monorail anymore...
    I'm pretty sure that the family/kids pictured in the video were on the monorail when it happened and got off safely. I wouldn't let it stop me from riding the monorail. I've been in car accidents and I still ride in cars. I have faith that the system will be thoroughly checked and the cause will be discovered and repaired before the system is back up and running. It might stop me from riding in front, though. Chilling footage.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I was just reading the Monorail tweets on Twitter and an Orlando area station posted a link to the driver's Facebook page. IMHO, very bad taste. I feel so sorry for his family and friends.
    DW of lotrfan
    Offsite - '81-'86
    DL - '89, '97, '05
    POFQ - '94, '95
    FW - '96
    POR - '98, '01
    CBR - '08 (Honeymoon)
    AsMo - '09 (Princess 5K & 1st Anniversary)
    DCL - Dec. '11 (30th b-day gift)

Post Thanks / Like

Horrible news... very sad. We have be "co-pilots" many times and seen the system that goes into protecting the guests on that line. One time our driver even made a comment about how he is glad there are humans in control of the monorails unlike the one in vegas. He said he has had to make manual adjustments all the time due to traffic and such (obviously refering to the MAPO system).

However I do have one issue.. I am all for freedom of information, but I think that intercot should remove the link to that video out of respect to the young man who died in that crash. That video, while giving the rest of us a perspective on that crash, is very disturbing if you stop to think about what you are REALLY looking at.

Thoughts and Prayers to the families involved.
    SorcererJim

Post Thanks / Like

A very sad day...the video is just sickening. I hope they take it down soon. I've already emailed the station's news director with my thoughts...I advise you to do the same.
    Eric

ASMusic 4/22
    POFQ 1/22
    AKL 9/21
    POFQ 1/20
    Pop Cent 6/19 & 11/19
    POFQ 3/19
    B Resort 11/18
    ASMusic
    3 & 7/18
    ASMusic 3/17
    Boardwalk 7/14 & 6/16
    Swan 3/13
    Solana Villa 3/11
    Grand Flo 12/09
    ASMov & Grand Flo 3/08
    Vistana 3/06
    AKL 3/05
    WL 6/02
    Off-Site 10/00
    ASMusic 3/98
    Poly 6/86
    LBV Villas 6/83

Post Thanks / Like

Oh how sad! My prayers go out the the driver's family and friends. Wondering if the driver became unconscious and even if he did sounds like there was a system failure with the emergency braking system according to what was posted about the MAPO system.

We are heading to WDW next Monday. I wonder how long the monorail system will be down? Don't know if we will be comfortable riding in the front of the monorail now for a long while if only for the fact that it will bring on sad feelings.
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Another thought...the crash clearly happened INSIDE the TTC, yet in several of the still photos I've seen, it looks like the monorails are sitting on track outside of the TTC building. Did they move the trains? Would that even be possible?
    Eric

ASMusic 4/22
    POFQ 1/22
    AKL 9/21
    POFQ 1/20
    Pop Cent 6/19 & 11/19
    POFQ 3/19
    B Resort 11/18
    ASMusic
    3 & 7/18
    ASMusic 3/17
    Boardwalk 7/14 & 6/16
    Swan 3/13
    Solana Villa 3/11
    Grand Flo 12/09
    ASMov & Grand Flo 3/08
    Vistana 3/06
    AKL 3/05
    WL 6/02
    Off-Site 10/00
    ASMusic 3/98
    Poly 6/86
    LBV Villas 6/83

Post Thanks / Like

This is terrible... at least the family wasn't riding up front in the monorail with the driver. I'll never do that again for sure. I feel so badly for the driver's family. I'm thinking something must have happened to him before the crash because he wouldn't have just let the monorail crash into another at full speed. If there was a malfunction he at least would have slammed on the breaks or something before it happened. It was 2 am so I wonder if he was asleep, but it's hard to imagine that he could fall asleep during the very short ride from Contemporary to the TTC.
    See You Real Soon!

Post Thanks / Like

Very sad and tragic. The video is disturbing too. Prayers for his family.
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

This is so sad! Prayers going out to all involved.
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    I But, I will no longer request sitting in the pilot pit of the monorail... Something also tells me they will no longer allow guests sitting with the pilot...
    You know, I never really thought of that. You might be right!
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Just saw the post-crash video. What was disturbing to me was the CM shooing away the video camera. That won't play well in the larger media. The CM should have been more interested in penetrating the car to do do some CPR or something. He just made it look like there was something to hide.

Post Thanks / Like

Just awful.
    Question though: why does it look like the crash happened outside on the track and then in other photos, it looks like it happened inside the TTC station? Did it crash and 'push' inside the station?
    So sad to see these photos on CNN right now.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media: