Quantcast damper on downtown disney - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MadMadamMim View Post
    I think it's funny how people complain about things they can't change like what used to be and what they wish it would be. I'm a huge proponent of just being happy with what you have. Call me a Polyanna but DTD will always be fun regardless of what stores, bars, restaurants they have or don't have. If I can sit down and people watch with my family, or buy a Christmas ornament while listening to Christmas music year round, or eat delicious ice cream I'm happy. Yes I can do that in the parks but sometimes I just don't feel like it. With that being said I continue to give DTD two enthusiastic thumbs up.
    We SO agree with you! Like I said before, we love DTD and will always hold a place in our hearts for it! Some have said you can buy the same things in the parks, but we never shop while in the parks...too much else to do!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KatrinaJ91 View Post
    We SO agree with you! Like I said before, we love DTD and will always hold a place in our hearts for it! Some have said you can buy the same things in the parks, but we never shop while in the parks...too much else to do!!
    Hey Katrina, just to give you a bad time You don't have time to shop when you're in the parks, but you have time to get to DTD and shop there? LOL. Still not getting it. Seems like that would take a WHOLE lot more time away from the parks.
    Richard

1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 All Star Music
    2004 Coronado Springs
    2006 All Star Music
    2007 CBR
    Sept 20 - Oct 1 2009 CBR

Disneyland - since the 50's - too many times to count (DD used to work the Jungle Cruise so we got in for FREE!!!)

Post Thanks / Like

We always schedule a rest day mid trip and that's the day we hit DTD. I also prefer to shop outside the parks. We never went beyond Marketplace anyway and to me there's still plenty there. I like Basin, Art of Disney, Pin Traders, Days of Christmas, Goofy's Candy Co., Lego Store, Once Upon a Toy, & World of Disney. Yes, I may be able to find much of the merchandise I want outside of DTD, but at DTD it's all in one location and I don't have to go searching every pin stand I see for a baby's 1st trip pin.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

For me, its atmosphere and a place away from the parks to still be in the magic. World of Disney, scrapbooking shop, lego and especially the Christmas shop are "musts". Id love to go there tonight, for an evening walk and a look at the lights on the water...
    Disney nut and obsessive Disney vacation planner
    DVC owner at Old Key West and Polynesian Village Resort
    Proud Disney dad who isn't ashamed to be the Goofy to my kids and the Beast to my Belle
    Have stayed at: Ft W; CBR; POFQ;PORS;DLH; DL Paradise Pier; and Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lakin View Post
    Pleasure Island was an unnecessary part of a what was supposed to be a FULLY kid friendly park.
    But by those reasonings, should we remove all "non-kid" items fromt he parks? No rides with any sort of hight requirements? No acoholic beverages of any kind on property? No Jelly Rolls? No R-rated movies @ AMC?

If disney was 100% geared only towards children, it would be legoland. Instead disney is aimed towards people of all ages & as a couple in our 20's P.I. was a huge enhancement to our vacation experience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lakin View Post
    I don't see how so. Pleasure Island was an unnecessary part of a what was supposed to be a FULLY kid friendly park. Heck, just to get to the World of Disney store when I was 11, my mother had to put her hands over my eyes. Seriously, I always found Pleasure Island to be a rather ridiculous idea in the first place. And, if they were going to do it, make it in an exclusive section where no kids are allowed. I'm very glad they made it a worry-free walkway.
    Thanks Disney-Barbie, I was thinking the same thing. Lakin seems to be fairly young, so I'll try to be kind. So I guess the Epcot Food and Wine Festival should be done away with as well...since kids can't drink. You need to remember that WDW is still a profit center. If all that ever went there were kids, they'd be out of business pretty quickly. If "adults" couldn't have fun that they like to have, then, they wouldn't be taking their kids every year.

What was your mother taking you thru the area at 11 if you and she were offended? Have you ever been to a shopping mall? I don't know about where you live, but I find more offensive clothing on young people there than I ever saw at PI. And there's a path way around it. So why weren't you taking it? When the West Side was first put in, you couldn't even walk thru PI.

Also I'm offended by your term "ridiculous". Ridiculous to you? So we all need to bend to your wishes and thoughts and ideas? If you are this sheltered, you're going to be very frustrated in the real world where not everything goes your way.

Did you ever go to CW or AC? It may not be your personal taste, but there are a LOT of people who got a kick out of it. How many other times have you seen petitions sent to Disney to save something?

And if you had ever gone to AC, you would have seen that it was Disneyfied (is that a word?). Sure there was alcohol, but you need not drink. There was never any pressure to do so. It was a change for people, kids and adults to get into the spirit of a fun evening and laugh and relax, without the craziness of the parks.

Did we go every night? No, but over 8 nights we'd go 3 and 4 times, and no, it wasn't ridiculous, nor are my DW and I, thank you very much.
    Richard

1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 All Star Music
    2004 Coronado Springs
    2006 All Star Music
    2007 CBR
    Sept 20 - Oct 1 2009 CBR

Disneyland - since the 50's - too many times to count (DD used to work the Jungle Cruise so we got in for FREE!!!)

Post Thanks / Like

It always seemed to me that what ruined Pleasure Island was the West Side. The Marketplace was always a draw for us when it existed all by itself, and even when they put in Pleasure Island it didn't change the atmosphere of the rest of the area because it was a ticketed gate, and people who were going to go there stayed there 'cause they paid for it.

When the West Side was put in, there was something to do for adults without them having to pay for Pleasure Island. Then when they opened up the area, it just made for a bad mix all around, IMHO.

I frankly have no desire to go to the West Side ever again. And now that PI is undergoing some sort of transformation I'll have to wait and see about that too.

I'll always visit the Marketplace, though. (Especially since it sits across the water from our "home" resort!)
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantod View Post
    What was your mother taking you thru the area at 11 if you and she were offended? Have you ever been to a shopping mall? I don't know about where you live, but I find more offensive clothing on young people there than I ever saw at PI. And there's a path way around it. So why weren't you taking it? When the West Side was first put in, you couldn't even walk thru PI.

Also I'm offended by your term "ridiculous". Ridiculous to you? So we all need to bend to your wishes and thoughts and ideas? If you are this sheltered, you're going to be very frustrated in the real world where not everything goes your way.

Did we go every night? No, but over 8 nights we'd go 3 and 4 times, and no, it wasn't ridiculous, nor are my DW and I, thank you very much.
    nicci
    1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 ASM
    2004 CSR
    2006 ASM
    2007 CBR
    2009 CBR
    2019 CBR
    DL 1971 to now - too many times to count, DL AP holder & Disney stockholder

Post Thanks / Like

We've visited the West Side on each trip, but don't really care much for it.

I love to shop, so the Marketplace is fabulous for me. I love to buy art, Christmas ornaments/decorations, and anything in WoD. We also love Ghirardelli's, The T-Rex and Rainforest Cafes, and Fulton's.

BUT...

We REALLY miss PI. We spent at least 4-5 nights per trip at AC. Neither my DH or I are drinkers, but we still loved AC. You don't need to be a drinker to truly enjoy PI. It's such a shame that it's gone. It was so depressing to see the AC sitting empty the last time we were there. Broke my heart.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    We REALLY miss PI. We spent at least 4-5 nights per trip at AC. Neither my DH or I are drinkers, but we still loved AC. You don't need to be a drinker to truly enjoy PI. It's such a shame that it's gone. It was so depressing to see the AC sitting empty the last time we were there. Broke my heart.
    another for me ... heart broken
    nicci
    1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 ASM
    2004 CSR
    2006 ASM
    2007 CBR
    2009 CBR
    2019 CBR
    DL 1971 to now - too many times to count, DL AP holder & Disney stockholder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    You may have hinted at part of the problem. No drinks! Drinks are whre clubs make their money. No drinks means all sorts of admin costs (rent, salary, etc) with no revenue. When expenses exceed revenue, you're not making any money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    You may have hinted at part of the problem. No drinks! Drinks are whre clubs make their money. No drinks means all sorts of admin costs (rent, salary, etc) with no revenue. When expenses exceed revenue, you're not making any money.
    Oh, don't get me wrong...we each had a drink or two during the evening, but we didn't go there to DRINK.

I consider a "drinker" to be someone who goes out strictly to "drink" (more than a couple drinks to feel good).

But, that's where the cover charge comes in. It covers a couple drinks on top of the 2 drinks per person we would purchase. So, even if we didn't order drinks, they still got something from us.

Also, if I wasn't in the mood for another alcoholic drink, I'd order soda. I always had to be sipping something, or else the air conditioning really dried me out.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

i make my twice yearly pilgrimage to disney once with the kids and once as the anniversary P.I was our mecca! when it was gated, one price for all the clubs, even the locals loved it. it was packed every night of the week.
    then some rocket scientist thought it would be a good idea if you would let kids walk in if you were with a adult , big mistake! kids + booze = not a good mix. you would see 1 adult with 3 or 4 teenage kids, when the place was packed you would always see kids outside sneaking drinks. they lost the local crowd, switched to a pay per club system. they even lost people on employee night because of the new kid policy and that was a spot were the employees could enjoy themselves on their night of with great discounts.
    RIP PLEASURE ISLAND

Post Thanks / Like

In late june i was there and it was sooooo packed that they closed the parking lot to new cars- so i am not sure the popularity has subsided.

I was told someone is moving into the virgin mega store soon, not sure who-

But besides LaNuba and DQ, there is always Candy Cauldren and the magic shop and the cigar store. so west side isnt too bad.

we had a fun time there this year.
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

I love to shop and I love WDW...so that means I love DTD. Where else can I go and have a world of shops devoted to my favorite place on Earth???

Love It
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Post Thanks / Like

I was sad when PI closed since it has been such a part of Disney for many years. But I never really used PI. I didn't turn 21 until six years ago and my folks were never interesting in going. So we never used PI. I adore the Marketplace! I have about five favorite shops, especially the Christmas shop. So it's always worth a trip.
    4 trips from 83-85 Buena Vista Palace
    6/90 CB
    12/91 CB
    6/93 DL
    6/94 DL
    2/95 DL
    12/95 WL
    11/96 Disney Institute
    5/98 DL
    5/00 DL
    11/02 ASM
    9/04 PO RS
    5/05 PO RS
    11/05 Off grounds
    5/06 PO RS
    5/07 PC
    4/08 PC
    11/08 PC
    10/09 PC
    Coming 4/10 POR

Post Thanks / Like

We still really like DTD. We love taking a lunch break from the parks and going to Earl of Sandwich or Wolfgang Puck Express--for our money, two of the best dining options in the world at great prices. We also love grabbing a post-park ice cream at night in Ghirardelli...cookie bottom sundae, yum. Finally, we like the AMC theaters. We don't do the parks every day...at this point we can finish in three days or so. We enjoy having an off-day to see a movie as a family in very comfortable seats and rest our weary legs. We also like the lego store, world of Disney, Pooh Corner, and the store with Mickey themed kitchenware. Still a must-do for us.

However, if you're looking for more sit-down restaurant type places and PI like things, I can see why you'd be let down. I do, however, highly recommend trying WPE as a dining option next time you're there--I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

As for PI, I honestly can't remember what was so outwardly objectionable...at least, during the day. I know my parents used to walk through with me, and the most scandalous thing I can remember seeing is Jessica Rabbit. And I had already seen that movie, so...

Post Thanks / Like

For all that say "I can shop at home if I want to" I have to agree with you that you are correct. However, I can go to clubs at home too, so what the difference, Disney's bread and butter is family driven. If you want clubs, go to Cancun.
    Brian

December 9 -December 18, 2015 POR
    Sept 24 - Oct 4, 2009, POFQ
    September, 2008 - CBR
    April, 1988-offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brian2000boston View Post
    For all that say "I can shop at home if I want to" I have to agree with you that you are correct. However, I can go to clubs at home too, so what the difference, Disney's bread and butter is family driven. If you want clubs, go to Cancun.
    But there are stores there for people who want to shop. Why can't there be a club or lounge for just adults? I mean there are honeymooners and retirees and people like myself that don't have children who go to Disney World. I enjoy the resorts and the parks, the parades, the fireworks, the restaurants, walking around the shops and seeing all the kids dressed up all excited to be in the MK but since I want to have a drink without a 9 year old in the same room I should go to Mexico?

If it's not what you (general you - not specifically you Brian) want to do, then don't. I don't care for Toon Town so I skip it, I don't think it should be torn down. I just really don't understand the attitude/sentiment that adults shouldn't be able enjoy having an adult evening on a Disney Vacation.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brian2000boston View Post
    Well, all of that is true. But you can also go on rides at the local state fair or county fairs as well. So we might as well not go to WDW at all? We never frequented the dance clubs at PI, but we did go to Adventurer's Club on a regular basis when we were at the world. And while we are not big club people, I've never seen another like that....even in Cancun.
    Richard

1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 All Star Music
    2004 Coronado Springs
    2006 All Star Music
    2007 CBR
    Sept 20 - Oct 1 2009 CBR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: