Quantcast Adventures By Disney Ireland (Pre-Day Dublin)

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Adventures By Disney Ireland (Pre-Day Dublin)

Pre-Day in Dublin
    This Emerald Isle Adventure start date was Saturday 05/23/2009.
    We (mother & daughter) chose to add one pre-night to acclimate ourselves to the time change and have some fun prior to the adventurers gathering reception.
    We booked our pre-night with Disney at the Westin.
    I booked the airfare myself.

Thursday 05/21/2009: Our flight from Tampa left on time and we arrived in JFK for a long 4 hour layover until our flight to Dublin. Our departure gate at JFK was next to a Delta Crown Lounge so we took advantage of the day membership and relaxed for the next 4 hours. It is expensive now since Delta has raised the day prices but we felt it was worth the comfort. The Delta terminal (3) at JFK is lousy for comfort. It turned out to be our last chance for relaxation until we hit Dublin so I’m glad we splurged.
    Our flight to Dublin left on time. The seats on Delta’s 757’s (the Song airline planes) are not comfortable, like sitting on a board with no cushion. Yes I know they are newer equipment and have personal screens to fiddle with but I still dislike them for comfort. Anyway that was the least of the inconveniences. One of the passengers had some sort of seizure on the plane while we were over the Atlantic. The lights in the cabin had just dimmed when they flipped back on and an attendant asked for any medical people on board to report to seat/row etc. Luckily 2 doctors and an EMT were on board and gave assistance to the poor man. They hooked him up to oxygen and an IV while they monitored his blood pressure. Then they decided he should be lying down. So the attendants prepared the galley for him with everyone’s blankets and pillows. With the galley turned into an emergency room, it was impossible to receive water or any beverage and meals. No one was complaining about this since we would have wanted the same care if one of us or a loved one had suffered a health problem. An ambulance met us at Dublin. I sincerely hope the passenger was helped and went on to have a holiday in Ireland.
    Thirsty and tired we arrived in Dublin on time at 7:45 am on Friday 05/22/09.

*Travel Tip: Dublin airport - After passport check-in and luggage pick-up (you have to get your own here) proceed through a myriad of corridors to the Exit. There you will be met by an ABD rep, not your guide but a company that is sub-contracted by Disney for pick-up at the airport. He will be holding an ABD logo sign with your name on it.

It was about a 30-40 minute ride to the Westin in Dublin from the airport.
    We proceeded to check-in. I presented my Starwood Preferred Guest card and received an upgrade to a Deluxe room versus the usual Disney Classic room. All this means was that it was a bigger room, which was very nice and yes we were able to go directly to our room, unpack, freshen up and hit the streets of Dublin.
    *There is an ATM right outside the Westin. At the front door turn left and it is literally 5 steps away. The Westin is next door to a bank. I had taken a few Euros with me and did purchase some water at the airport since we hadn’t had anything to drink for over 4 hours. Other than that we really didn’t need Euros before Dublin City Centre.

This was a totally free day for us so we decided to explore the Jameson Distillery. We asked the delightful Doorman (Charlie ?) at the Westin for directions and we were on our way.

By this time it was 1 pm and we hadn’t had anything to eat since JFK so we crossed the street and hit the Temple Bar district. We chose Oliver St. John Gogarty’s based on an acquaintance's recommendation. It provided good food, lively atmosphere and friendly service. Perfect! Being lunch time on a Friday it was crowded but we found a table and ordered. I had a bacon sandwich with a pint of the black stuff, my first of many pints this trip.

After lunch we walked to the Jameson Whiskey Distillery, which was a good 45 minute to an hour walk since we took detours of our own device to see things. What a fun experience. They offer (sell) tours throughout the day. You are offered a small beverage at the end of the tour. Jameson whiskey served in various ways, neat or with water or with ginger ale or coke. By that time we had walked off our Guinness so we indulged in the whiskey. Good fun because everyone there is ready for a good time.

We took a leisurely walk back to the hotel for a shower and about an hours rest.

That evening we walked over to Oliver St. John Gogarty’s to sign up for the Traditional Irish Music Pub Crawl that evening. They put us on the waiting list and we somehow managed to do the Crawl. Great entertainment. We visited three different pubs where two musicians who sang various traditional Irish songs entertained us. They were great musicians and also very funny in their presentations. It was a wonderful way to end the long day.

Our plan for tomorrow was to visit Knowth and Newgrange outside of Dublin.
    The concierge at the Westin helped us decide which of two tour groups to use, booked our reservations for us and arranged for the van to pick us up right at the front door of the Westin.

We hit the heavenly beds at the Westin and didn’t stir until 7:30 the next morning.

Pre-Day Photos

After reading a lot of overheated puffery about your new cook, you know what I'm craving? A little perspective. That's it. I'd like some fresh, clear, well seasoned perspective. Can you suggest a good wine to go with that?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a wonderful day!! Can't wait to read more.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope that passenger is alright. Your time in dublin sounds great. Can't wait for more.
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Share This Thread On Social Media: