Quantcast Stitch is Out - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Stitch is Out

Post Thanks / Like

A Stitch roller coaster would fit in Adventureland.. Based out of a volcano... however, if they going to do a volcano-based ride, I want Journey to the Center of the Earth...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Ian, this is for you my friend:

From Mouseplanet:

"Stitch getting the boot, not a tune-up

Last week, we reported about rapidly spreading rumors of the pending closure of Stitch's SuperSonic Celebration for retooling. Amazingly, it appears that rather than tweaking the show and rebooting it, Disney is pulling the show outright. The last performance will be this coming Saturday, June 27.

It's unusual that Disney would cut a show so quickly after spending so much time and money preparing for it, including the construction of a huge stage and tech booth in the open space just past Rockettower Plaza in Tomorrowland. Perhaps by making a clean break on Saturday, they will be able to show savings for the company's fourth fiscal quarter, which starts the next day."
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, there goes a lot of money that could have been spent updating some other part of the World.

WDW- '71, '74, '83, '88, '89, '97, '98, '99, '00 (x2), '01, NYE '02/'03, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07 (x2), '08, '09 (x2)
    DCL (Magic)- '99
    DL Paris- '01
    DL/ DCA- '05

Magic Music Days- '88, '98, '00, '05, '07, '09
    Festival Disney- '05, '07, '09
    DVC Member Since 2000 (Vero, BC & Saratoga)

Post Thanks / Like

I still say it's lack of Imagineering. They have gotten rid of people or they have died off and the new one's have no clue as to what to do. I have seen more things suggested on this web site that would make Walt Disney proud. I am in the business field and have always been taught that you have to spend money to make money. I was also taught that you had to put out a great product to keep them buying or keep them coming back. They are just throwing money away on ideas that people aren't buying. Soon they won't be coming back. Yes, there are us diehard Disney fans that will keep coming back, because that is all we know. But the new one's that are coming are going to say, "Is that all there is?". Unless the Disney Company gets new blood at the top, it will stay the same...

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

The thing is, this really only goes on at Walt Disney World. You don't see this kind of stuff happening in Disneyland anymore.

Look at DCA ... they opened that park under another regime that didn't do right by the Disney brand. The current regime went out on a limb and asked for over a billion dollars to go back and do it correctly and they got it!

It's WDW management that's truly at fault. I think when they're given the right budgets, Imagineering can still do amazing work. Now you could make the case that maybe WDI is not well-run, so they need too much money to do jobs right. That I might agree with.

But that's more of an operational issue than a true "imagineering" problem.

No, I definitely blame WDW management 100% for this failure. They're cheap. They want to do everything on a shoestring budget and charge caviar prices for it and it absolutely will come back to bite them in the end. You cannot continuously cut quality and raise prices. At some point, you hit the breaking point and you shoot yourself in the foot.

Personally, from reading all the complaints and negative comments on these boards lately, I think they're getting really, really close to that now.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Personally, from reading all the complaints and negative comments on these boards lately, I think they're getting really, really close to that now.
    I guess it takes some longer than others. I've had a bug up someplace for quite some time about this.

As sad as it sounds, it''s actually kindof refreshing to see others bothered and aggrivated about this. It's a little affirmation that I'm just not [that] crazy.

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSad View Post
    I still say it's lack of Imagineering. They have gotten rid of people or they have died off and the new one's have no clue as to what to do. I have seen more things suggested on this web site that would make Walt Disney proud. I am in the business field and have always been taught that you have to spend money to make money. I was also taught that you had to put out a great product to keep them buying or keep them coming back. They are just throwing money away on ideas that people aren't buying. Soon they won't be coming back. Yes, there are us diehard Disney fans that will keep coming back, because that is all we know. But the new one's that are coming are going to say, "Is that all there is?". Unless the Disney Company gets new blood at the top, it will stay the same...
    This Stitch mess has nothing to do with Imagineering. Not everything goes through them. ENTERTAINMENT created Stitch's Supersonic Failure, not Imagineering. Opinion about Imagineering:

1) Not all the disasters are their fault.
    2) They can only work within the budgets allowed. Give them a bigger budget, WATCH OUT!
    3) The imagination is there, it is MANAGEMENT that has been telling them what they can and cannot do. Their hands are tied by inept people in roles they do not deserve to have.

Yes, I will continue my lamblasting of the poor managers in charge of the parks in WDW until regime change happens.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I guess it takes some longer than others. I've had a bug up someplace for quite some time about this.

As sad as it sounds, it''s actually kindof refreshing to see others bothered and aggrivated about this. It's a little affirmation that I'm just not [that] crazy.
    I sort of feel the same way.

I've been on this bandwagon for five years or more now and at first people just lambasted me for being a "Disney basher."

Now slowly but surely others are coming around. I see more and more people being openly critical of what they're doing down there and it's like a validation that, finally, others are taking off their rose colored glasses and realizing that Disney World has some serious warts these days.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSad View Post
    They are just throwing money away on ideas that people aren't buying. Soon they won't be coming back. Yes, there are us diehard Disney fans that will keep coming back, because that is all we know. But the new one's that are coming are going to say, "Is that all there is?".
    I'll be honest - with money being a bit tight this year, the main reasons we're going down to Disney this year for summer vacation is because we've got the military tickets already (I'm an AF Reserve retiree, and got them back in March while passing through with the little guy on the way to a Shuttle launch) and the cost of a fair amount of private space for our popup in Ft. Wilderness isn't much higher than a slot in a sardine-can RV resort elsewhere.

If we were going to have to pay for 3 full-price tickets, we most likely wouldn't be going. The cost is too high for the perceived value, at least for us.

I love the place for what it WAS more than what it IS at the present time unfortunately - because Disney's really been coasting while other parks in the area have been building up.

We came down the first year Mission:Space opened - because it was a unique ride in the Disney tradition. It was AMAZING. Would we have come down without it? I can't say - but before M:S opened I was reading everything I could find on this board and the internet about it, and the more I read the more I wanted to ride it.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have done the same with Stitch's Supersonic Celebration. At best it would be a "Oh, that's nice" sort of addendum to a park visit, to be caught if you happened to be passing by when it started - but it wouldn't trigger any sort of special trip or special scheduling, at least for our family.

When I come to WDW - I want to be thrilled. I want to see new things, I want to be amazed, I want to be entertained. I want novelty, I want excitement. I don't want half the rides closed for maintenance, I don't want the other half to be motion-simulator rides with cute or outdated overlays. It seems like every two-bit museum's got something like those any more - they're not SPECIAL.

I want to see and do things I won't get anywhere else...

And that used to be Disney.

Maybe it will be again, sometime, but when we've used the remaining days on our military tickets, it's going to take something pretty darn amazing to get us down again.... and a stage show just isn't it. Whether it's the fault of Management, Entertainment or Imagineering doesn't matter - the end result is a customer who regretfully decides to spend his money elsewhere.
    July '66, Disneyland.
    Aug '73, Mar '82, Sep '97 - Before Mr. Boo..
    Feb '02 - With Mr. Boo, age 4
    Oct '03 - POR! Forget the sun, let it RAIN!
    In 2009? March for a day - EPCOT! July - Ft. Wilderness!
    Nov 2020 Ft. Wilderness
    Nov 2021 Ft Wilderness again!
    Nov 2023 Ft Wilderness, here we come!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jll3Sonex View Post
    I love the place for what it WAS more than what it IS at the present time unfortunately
    I agree with basically everything you said in your post, but I wanted to single this one comment out because it's exactly how I feel.

I used to feel compelled to visit WDW 3 or 4 times a year, because I just loved the place so much.

Now, we're more likely to visit twice a year. And really, that's mostly because of the kids. If it was up to me, I might not go back again for awhile.

Every time I go, I really have the feeling of being hung up by my heels and shaken for all I'm worth.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Every time I go, I really have the feeling of being hung up by my heels and shaken for all I'm worth.
    I used to joke that they made being separated from your money as painless as possible. The visit in March, I wished I could have given my wallet a shot of novocaine. I know keeping a place like that going requires a lot of people, and personnel costs are through the roof these days, yet I couldn't help but remember when things weren't QUITE so costly.

I was able to get one perfect self-timed shot of me and the little guy at the Imagination Pavillion with the monorail going by overhead - don't know if the driver saw us or not, but it slowed at just the right time. That made it pretty much worthwhile...

THAT is the Disney magic...
    July '66, Disneyland.
    Nov 2020 Ft. Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with basically everything you said in your post, but I wanted to single this one comment out because it's exactly how I feel.

I used to feel compelled to visit WDW 3 or 4 times a year, because I just loved the place so much.

Now, we're more likely to visit twice a year. And really, that's mostly because of the kids. If it was up to me, I might not go back again for awhile.

Wow.... wasn't expecting that comment about not going there for a while.

I kind of understand how you feel. My wife has always bugged me about other vacation options. WDW was (still is) easy for us with the kids because we have a sense of familiarity with it. We tried to go once / twice a year with the kids when they were younger. But as they've grown older we've found they can handle other options and appreciate them more. We have branched out and started to do different things with our boys - we went to the bahamas, have done some camping/fishing things, some other weekend getaways. My wife really wants to take them to Ireland or the Rockies next year.

Oddly enough, this August will be our 3rd trip in a year to WDW. With the annual passes and DVC points (coupled with some awesome deals on airfare), it's been fairly economical to go back for trips 2 and 3. We've found that in our particular case, we get "wrung" for less money as our kids are older. We don't have to do a bunch of things that cost extra money like character breakfasts, buy pirates league packages, eat at table service restaurants 3 times a day. A morning in the parks, followed by some pool/hang-out time in the afternoon, dinner at a one of the restaurants, followed by Illuminations/Wishes or another hour or so in a park at night works well for us.

Sorry - way off topic....

Any how, this Stitch show sums up all the lame stuff with WDW right now. It was considered a fix on the cheap, didn't add capacity, wasn't "good show", and quite frankly probably was too expensive for what the return was. I'd much rather have them use those resources to maintain the park and "plus" things up elsewhere. The real shame is that they put up a permanent structure that is likely to rot there for a while.

I agree with some of the other comments about the management at WDW. They've just not had the vision or leadership to move things forward to really make the parks a gem. True, light bulbs are being replaced now, but why in the world have things like the old skyway stations, WoL, etc. been left to sit there for years without use?
    Matt

-Married: Awesome Wife and 2 Great Boys; Civil Engineer; University of Michigan Alumnus/Fan
    -Walt Disney World fanatic since 1971!
    -DVC (OKW) Member since 1996
    -Next Vacation: ????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    Very weak. Beauty and the Beast can have such a great dark ride. The facade of the show building can look like Beast's castle. Inside, you can be greeted by Lumiere directing you to your omnimover. You can take a tour of Beast's castle with show scenes details parts of the movie. You can pass through the giant ballroom and witness Belle and Beast dance. You can then be "transported" outside where you see Gaston and the mob storming the castle. You'll move up to the castle roof and witness the battle between Beast and Gaston. And finally, witness the transformation of Beast into his human form. WDI can certainly do this, if TDO wasn't so stinking cheap.

And I have a perfect placement for it. ENCHANTED FOREST that may soon be taking up residence in Fantasyland.

Oh my! I think that is a fabulous idea, I most certainly would enjoy that ride.

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post

You know, on that point, I just spent some time reading this thread, and it kind of opened my eyes to what I was already feeling and couldn't quite place my finger on. When I mentioned going to WDW this fall, I never thought that my husband would so readily agree to it (He's not the fan that I am). But surprisingly, he did, and before he could change his mind I hurried up and booked everything. I was initially excited, as I always am, and started planning our trip with my usual gusto.

But somewhere in the course of my planning, I started feeling somewhat... despondent. I've been combing through the usual guide books, and checking these message boards everyday, searching for something and not finding it. I started to think - has it run it's course, am I just not as interested as I once was in everything Disney? But as I read everyone's thoughts on this thread, I found myself agreeing with many of them!

I find myself thinking this trip I'd kind of just like to hang at my resort pool, and go to TL. I am no where near as excited about the parks as I once was. There was a time that I would not go to WDW without going to every single park. Even if I had to do half days. Now, to be quite honest, I don't think I'd be all that sad to not go to any of them. As it is, I just have plans for us hitting out most favorite attractions, seeing Illuminations, SpectroMagic and Wishes, and that's about it. Sad. I hope better things are in store for WDW's future.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and insight, everyone!
    Cindy

1981 Off Site WDW
    1983 Disneyland
    1997 Polynesian
    2000 Villas @ Disney Institute
    2000 Off Site
    2001 ASMusic
    2003 Coronado Springs
    2007 ASMusic
    2009 - Caribbean Beach
    October 2012 - My 40th birthday!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

We're kind of the same way, Cindy. We actually had originally planned to go the week after Christmas and do nothing but hang out, eat, and chill. We ended up cancelling, though, because ... eh ... just not feelin' it.

When you stop to consider it, why wouldn't we feel this way??

What has Disney added lately to energize us and bring us back excited?? Balloon rides, dress exhibits, a reality T.V. attraction based on a washed up concept, and a stage show so bad it had to be closed nearly immediately after it opened???

Woo hoo ... yee ha ... sign me up ...
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

When you stop to consider it, why wouldn't we feel this way??

What has Disney added lately to energize us and bring us back excited?? Balloon rides, dress exhibits, a reality T.V. attraction based on a washed up concept, and a stage show so bad it had to be closed nearly immediately after it opened???

Woo hoo ... yee ha ... sign me up ...
    Yeah, $16 balloon rides and $14 dress exhibits don't quite seem to have the Disney Magic, at least to me.

Seems to me like Disney's forgotten that there's TWO groups it needs to please - the kids, and the adults. Yeah, successful franchises like Hanna Montana and the Jonas Bros. rake in the dough - but where's the adult interest?

It's difficult to create a single item with broad appeal to all demographics. If you can't do that, then you've got to create a wide range of experiences to rake in the interest of as many demographics as you can get. (Heck, just take a look around - 4 theme parks, with all sorts of variations, and it draws millions each year.) And there's things that appeal to both a lot of kids and a lot of adults - witness Test Track and Mission:Space as examples of hitting the mark on that. I'll GLADLY go on back-to-back-to-back rides on those. They are magnificent in design and execution.

But where's that sort of creativity any more? Without it, you're going on momentum - and as any coaster lover knows, that'll only take you so far. Judging by what's being posted here, the Stitch Celebration seems to have become an unintentional brake for some, perhaps indicative of a fault in the system that's slowly shutting the whole fun down.

What can we do to urge a restart of the creative process and get something other than warmed-over stage shows?
    July '66, Disneyland.
    Nov 2020 Ft. Wilderness

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: