Quantcast Do Disney World employees have a problem with Disneyland? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSad View Post
    OK.. Who is comparing WDW with Wal-Mart.. I would pick something a lot better then that...
    Captain Sad is right, Target is way better than Walmart. I'd use that instead.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post

Of course WDW would have more dining options as there are 4 parks and over 20 hotels vs. 2 parks, 3 hotels and DtD in Anaheim. Still, they could definitely add dining options to what is there. Why can't they add 1 or 2 more sit down restaurants in both DL and California Adventure?
    Actually when DCA opened there were A LOT more restaurants, but they weren't getting the attendance they were expecting and the restaurants weren't being used, so they've closed several of them - at least four or five, but some of them were CS.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mendelson View Post
    Wow....I didn't realize this was a strong sentiment and just assumed it was vice-versa, but I've only spent about five hours at DL so I can't really compare. I'd be curious to know your feelings behind it, Ian. Can you do it in five bullet points?
    Yep ...
    • It's the park that Walt built. Actually walking in Walt's footsteps, seeing that light burning brightly in the firehouse window, knowing that the entire layout of the park was designed by Walt himself ... can't get any of that in WDW.
    • It's a much cozier park. One of my biggest pet peeves at WDW is how darn hard it is to get around. In DL, it's like a 5 minute walk from your hotel room to the front gate of the parks. In WDW it takes you five minutes to get from your room to the lobby of the hotel where you have to catch a bus, stand on there like you're commuting to work, and maybe an hour and a half later you'll have some fun.
    • Disneyland's attractions are better than WDW's. There isn't a single ride in WDW that is markedly better than it's DL counterpart. By contrast, DL's Space Mountain is way better, Pirates is way better, and their Fantasyland is far superior to WDW's.
    • Disneyland has some great attractions that Disney World doesn't even have ... Matterhorn, the Indy ride, the Monsters Inc. dark ride, etc.
    • And lastly ... DL still has Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

The lack of table service dining options drives me crazy. I still have sit down restaurants to try after numerous trips to WDW; I have done almost every restaurant at both parks and the hotels in two trips to DL (except for the Goofy restaurant and club 33).
    Agree totally on this one. The dining options at Disneyland are lacking. I'm hoping that once the refurb of DCA is complete, they'll boost their offerings a little bit.

I could go into other things I do not like such as the setup for Fantasmic ...
    I can't possibly fathom how you could prefer WDW's disaster of a Fantasmic show over DL's???
    A sea of humanity?? What do you think you get at the Studios?? Along with a mandatory 2 hour wait time for a far inferior show ... Sorry, but I think you're crackers on this one. You couldn't pay me to sit through WDW's Fantasmic ever again.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I look forward to someday walking where Walt actually walked
    I believed the initial response from Mendelson too
    Ian, thanks for elaborating, I was going to ask you to do that.

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSad View Post
    OK.. Who is comparing WDW with Wal-Mart.. I would pick something a lot better then that...
    I think someone needs some
    There seems to be no sign of intelligent life anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe DL is about 20 acres smaller than MK....so how do they fit everything in (and more) without making it feel cramped or claustrophobic? i've tried looking at google maps satellite view to compare, but it's just too hard without being on the ground.
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Yep ...
    [*]It's the park that Walt built. Actually walking in Walt's footsteps, seeing that light burning brightly in the firehouse window, knowing that the entire layout of the park was designed by Walt himself ... can't get any of that in WDW.
    Okay, I'll give you that one, but still not enough of a reason to fly across the country for me.

[*]It's a much cozier park. One of my biggest pet peeves at WDW is how darn hard it is to get around. In DL, it's like a 5 minute walk from your hotel room to the front gate of the parks. In WDW it takes you five minutes to get from your room to the lobby of the hotel where you have to catch a bus, stand on there like you're commuting to work, and maybe an hour and a half later you'll have some fun.
    You say cozy, I think small. I am through doing everything I want to do in DL in a day and a half. Use the other half day for DtD and another day for DCA and I am done with all of it. I solve the transportation issue by renting a car. Even when I've used buses, it has not taken me 90 minutes to get anywhere.

[*]Disneyland's attractions are better than WDW's. There isn't a single ride in WDW that is markedly better than it's DL counterpart. By contrast, DL's Space Mountain is way better, Pirates is way better, and their Fantasyland is far superior to WDW's,
    As I stated, I do agree about SM and POTC. However, I do not agree that every single ride is better at DL. As I stated, I do not enjoy Splash Mountain at DL as I am so uncomfortable with the seating configuration. I do not have that issue at WDW, so that to me makes it markedly better. I don't see the reason for the great love for DL's Fantasyland. Other than Small World, I don't think anything else is that fabulous. Maybe I am forgetting something, but the canal boats and Casey Jr were hardly that awe inspiring to me.

[*]Disneyland has some great attractions that Disney World doesn't even have ... Matterhorn, the Indy ride, the Monsters Inc. dark ride, etc.
    I did forget about the Matterhorn, which I really liked (after SM and POTC, it was my favorite). Indy? Very similar to Dinosaur and I can take or leave that ride. Have not tried Monster's Inc. ride so I do not have an opinion on that

[*]And lastly ... DL still has Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.
    I have never understood the love for this ride. After I had ridden it in DL (it was already gone from WDW), I turned to my friend and said "People are up in arms for this ride? Why?"

I can't possibly fathom how you could prefer WDW's disaster of a Fantasmic show over DL's???
    A sea of humanity?? What do you think you get at the Studios?? Along with a mandatory 2 hour wait time for a far inferior show ... Sorry, but I think you're crackers on this one. You couldn't pay me to sit through WDW's Fantasmic ever again.
    I never said I preferred the DHS show itself, I said I like that I could see the show without having to stake out like a parade spot (which I do not do at either place as I am not a parade person). You made the assumption I liked the show better. I am going to eat dinner anyway, so why not get the Fantasmic Dinner Package at Brown Derby, have a nice meal and go to the show 30 minutes beforehand? That is what we did and had decent seats and time to chat and have an adult beverage before the show. The show itself is not all that great, but I wasn't bowled over by DL's version either. At DL, I saw it from the ground and I bought a seat in the DL Gallery (which I hear is no longer offered). In the Gallery, I was given an obstructed view and when I asked the CM about it, the response was "you're a single and this is where we put singles". Real nice attitude (just one of the many subpar DL CM experience I had that trip). Nice to know my money doesn't allow me to have a nice view because I did not bring others .

Hey, I will not bother with WDW Fantasmic now that it is only offered a few times a week. It is not worth it to me to deal with the increased crowds.

As I said, I am going to give Disneyland another shot when Intercot has a big meet out there and I usually do not give something a 3rd chance. Maybe 3rd time will be the charm. I'll combine it with a trip to Vegas or San Francisco (I don't really like LA).
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Bigger, yes. Better ... uh ... no.

I can't believe how many people actually think WDW is better than DL. IMO, it's not even a contest. If I lived closer to DL, I might visit WDW once every couple of years (just to get a dose of Epcot), but outside of that it'd be DL all the way.

DL blows the doors off of WDW.
    This has been quite a debate. I am with Ian on this. DL will always have my heart. Although I enjoy my time at WDW, the intimate setting of DL is truly an unique experience.

As others have said, it is comparing apples to oranges.
    Last edited by badkitty; 06-20-2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Indy? Very similar to Dinosaur and I can take or leave that ride.
    Although the track and ride vehicles are exactly the same, what makes Indy more appealing to me over Dinosaur is the music. To me, the Indy soundtrack is so thrilling!

Post Thanks / Like

Disneyland's attractions are better than WDW's. There isn't a single ride in WDW that is markedly better than it's DL counterpart. By contrast, DL's Space Mountain is way better, Pirates is way better, and their Fantasyland is far superior to WDW's.
    while I largely agree with your sentiments on DL...the consensus of my family was that WDW did have a few rides superior to DL...namely the WDW versions of Splash Mountain, Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan (thou the star room in the DL version is cool)
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Default more research needed

very interesting discussion. I have only been to WDW and now I am dying to go to DL for, um, research purposes. In fact, I think that this whole topic must be explored more thoroughly. Are there any volunteers to explore all Disney parks with me? Let's start with DL, since it is the first, then WDW, now refresh my memory, Paris? Tokyo? where next?
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Obviously, the whole DL vs. WDW argument is a matter of taste. For me, I actually find the sprawling, spread out feel of WDW sort of un-Disney like and sort of annoying. I much prefer the cozy, intimate feel of DL when it comes to a true "Disney" vacation.

WDW, to me, is more of a "resort" destination. I go there as much for the dining, swimming, water parks, etc. as I do for the Disney aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    while I largely agree with your sentiments on DL...the consensus of my family was that WDW did have a few rides superior to DL...namely the WDW versions of Splash Mountain, Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan (thou the star room in the DL version is cool)
    And see, this just goes to reinforce how much perceptions can vary ...

Honestly, I'm not a big Splash Mountain fan so I have to admit I've never ridden DL's. But putting that aside, DL's Peter Pan is one of the Fantasyland attractions that I found far superior to the WDW counterpart.

Also, DL has the Pinocchio and Alice in Wonderland rides that WDW doesn't have. They also have the Casey Jr. Circus Train and the Storybookland Canal Boats which, while Christine may not like them, my kids really enjoyed.

When you really break it down, WDW's Fantasyland has eight real attractions (IASW, Peter Pan, Mickey's Philharmagic, Dumbo, the Carousel, Snow White, Teacups, and Winnie the Pooh). DL's Fantasyland has eleven real attractions (IASW, Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Dumbo, Carousel, Snow White, Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland, Teacups, the Canal Boats, and the Circus Train) of which two are (IMO) markedly better than their WDW counterparts (IASW & Peter Pan) and another three are top quality Disney dark rides that don't even exist in WDW (Mr. Toad, Pinocchio, and Alice).

To me it's no contest.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    I agree with all this being a matter of opinion, but how could anyone think that the Winnie the Pooh attraction at WDW is better than the one at DL? After I got over my initial disappointment in having my beloved Country Bear Jamboree taken away (which was so much better than WDW's it's not even funny) I found the woodsy setting of the Winnie the Pooh attraction at DL is absolutely lovely.

I would also like to point out that DL's HM is better than WDW's. I have never understood why you don't enter through the front door in WDW as you do in DL.

There is just more attention to detail at DL than there is at WDW. That's why those that love it consider it charming.

I think I would compare DL to WDW in this aspect to a nice sit down dinner vs an all you can eat buffet. Sure you feel like you get more for your money at the buffet, but sometimes you just want a nice quiet meal that you can take your time and enjoy.
    Grim Grinning Ghosts come out to socialize.
    Nov/Dec 2001 POR-early 10th anniversary
    Oct/Nov 2002 Poly/AKL-late 10th anniversary
    Dec 2003 POR
    Nov 2007 CBR
    Oct/Nov 2008 CBR/AKL
    Nov/Dec 2019? I HOPE!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mendelson View Post
    I believe DL is about 20 acres smaller than MK....so how do they fit everything in (and more) without making it feel cramped or claustrophobic? i've tried looking at google maps satellite view to compare, but it's just too hard without being on the ground.
    To put the size of DL into perspective Dl would fit into Mk's parking lot and there would still be 500 parking spaces left over
    Two Tiny Wings,
    Eyes BIG and Yellow,Horns of a Steer,
    But a lovable Fellow! From Head to Tail,
    He's a Royal Purple Pigment And then Voila!
    You got a Figment
    The Dreamfinder

Dixie Landings-1997
    ASMo-2001
    All Star Sports-2008
    ASMu Family Suites-2009
    Beach Club-2011
    ASMo 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Apples to oranges....apples to oranges....apples to oranges! Can you tell I hate when this 'debate' comes up.

Each has it's advantages and disadvantages, and it does come down to preference. Someone mentioned Disneyland not being a total immersive vacation. Not true for me! I'm not sure how that statement can be made on behalf of others. I love my vacations to both parks. For me, WDW is definitely a more fast-paced adventure, while Disneyland is laid back and relaxed. Sometimes I want one experience and sometimes I want the other. And I never have a problem with 'fine dining' at Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

When you really break it down, WDW's Fantasyland has eight real attractions (IASW, Peter Pan, Mickey's Philharmagic, Dumbo, the Carousel, Snow White, Teacups, and Winnie the Pooh). DL's Fantasyland has eleven real attractions.
    Yes, that's always true, the number of attractions automatically means which park is better....................................

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Towle View Post
    Yes, that's always true, the number of attractions automatically means which park is better....................................
    Interesting how you singled out part of my post and ignored the rest.

If you'd quoted what I actually said, you'd clearly see I went on to specify that not only did DL's Fantasyland have more attractions than WDW's, that they were all equal to or better than their WDW counterparts.

I can't possibly imagine what critera you'd use to compare two parks rather than number of attractions, number of unique quality attractions, and a direct comparison of the quality of common attractions.

Which is exactly what I did.

And by the way, I was strictly speaking about the Fantasyland sections in response to someone else's post. That one tiny segment of what I said was not my full explanation as to why DL is better than WDW.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. All I wanted to know is why Disney World employees would make questionable remarks about a Disneyland t-shirt. Didn't mean to start a debate about the merits of the two parks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Giggy View Post
    I got about half way through that before I realised it was a windup..... in my defence it is past midnight here!
    Well, it is not midnight here, and it took me almost until the end to catch on. So embarrassed!
    Before Kids:
    Off-Site - September/91 & September/92

With Kids:
    Off-site - November/03 & September/05
    FREE DINING:
    POP Century - Aug/Sept/06 (w/ my parents)
    POP Century - Aug/Sept/07
    POP Century - Aug/Sept/08 (w/Bro's family)
    POP Century - Sept/09 (NO KIDS!!!!!)

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this makes the presidential debates seem dull. For me it's simply a matter of convenience. We live in Atlanta and can get to WDW. Someday I really hope to get to DLR and see the park Walt built. (Actually went when I was 5, but I won't say how long ago that was.) Can't we just love both for what they are?
    I Am That Hero!

I'm a Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech...

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Hit it.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: