Quantcast Cell phones have replaced camera flashes

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Cell phones have replaced camera flashes

Cell phones have replaced camera flashes! While riding POTC, we had two people in front of us recoding the entire trip with their cell phones. It was so anoying to have these phones, with their large screens, glowing during the entire trip. It took away from the ride. This was not the only ride this was taking place. There were several others, but it makes more of a difference during dark rides like HM. I wish DW would do something about this!
    Does anyone feel this is OK and we are just being unreasonable?
    BKJ

Wilderness Lodge May '13
    FW Campsite Jan '13
    FW Cabins May '11
    FW Campsite Dec '10
    Offsite Nov '10
    FW Cabins May '10
    FW Cabins Dec '09
    FW Cabins May '09
    FW Campsite Dec '08
    FW Cabins May '07
    Swan Dec '06
    FW Cabins May '06
    Offsite June '99
    FW Campsite Aug '79
    Contemporary '76

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's really inconsiderate of people to ruin the experience for everyone else. I don't see how this situation can be controlled short of banning cell phones, PDAs, cameras, video cameras which we all know will never happen.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like it either.
    Next time sing louder...
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyCrazyET View Post
    I don't like it either.
    Next time sing louder...
    LOL

Great idea, if I was in the boat with them it would certainly render the recording unuseable!!
    ~~Allison~~ °O°
    Snarky will miss VMK!!!

Happy DVC BWV owner since 1998!!
    PoTC: Rusty Saber, a Proud Seafury!

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed this on our last trip. The big bright screens during the dark rides. It just as annoying when they are talking on them the entire ride. Instead of no eating, drinking or flash photography they need to put in cell phone use!!
    "Pudge controls the weather" -Lilo

Post Thanks / Like

Too bad there isn't a CM in the boat each time to monitor this. I know it's impossible, but it's one of our favorite rides as well and it wasn't ruined by the flash photography occuring in front of me, but it was certainly annoying and distracting. Would be nice if a CM could yell at the individual - ha ha. Oh well - never ceases to amaze me how inconsiderate people can be. Maybe next time we go, we'll wait until we can get in the very front, then maybe I won't have to worry about it quite as much!
    Melinda

Trips:

Offsite - June 1997
    WL - October 2008
    POFQ - April/May 2010

RPH - Universal - May 7th-11th 2014
    POFQ - Sept. 27-30, 2014 (just the two of us!)
    Royal Pacific Hotel - Universal - June 27th - July 1st, 2015
    POFQ - Sept 2017

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's so rude. We went on HM and POTC recently and had to deal with people constantly taking flash pictures with their cameras and their phones. One person actually ruined the whole HM new Madam Leota scene because of the flash, it was so mad.

What really bothers me is that they don't just take one picture and then they're done. They take pictures every 5 seconds.

Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. It's not just a matter of the actual flash anymore, it's having to view the ride through someone else's bright screen because you're behind them and the light draws your eyes. It's sad that more people aren't considerate enough to think of the people behind them. Even if you're in the last seat of a boat, there's usually another boat not far behind you with people who have to put up with your bright screen glowing through the darkness.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget the screens from video cameras! I was one of those people who was recording all of the rides but instead of using the screen on the side of the camera i kept it closed and used the old fashioned eye hole to record with. It was a pain in the rear but I didn't want to ruin the ride/attraction for other people.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

OMG! What the heck is the matter with people? Really?

I HATE the stupid LCD screens all over the World! Not to mention, on a dark ride like POTC unless its a really good camera the video is not going to come out. So now you've wasted battery, annoyed your fellow guest and have nothing to show for it!

I truthfully thought you were going to say something about people taking on the phone on a ride. We've had that happen twice! Once on IASW and once on POTC. Not sure how the phone was working inside the ride like that, I don't think mine would, I guess that's why both times the person was just about screaming! Both times I said to DH "Is that person really that important that they have to take a call while on a ride, on vacation?!" UGH! Some people!
    Melissa

4/87 offsite, 3/05 AKL, 10/06 WL, 3/08 GF, 1/09 WL, 3/09 Poly, 10/09 SSR, 1/10 AKV, 10/10 BLT, 12/10 AKV, 2/11 Poly, 5/11 BCV, 10/11 BLT, 12/11 WL, 5/12 1st Cruise on the Dream & BWV, 10/12 BLT!

"...That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." Walt Disney

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crltkcagle View Post
    Don't forget the screens from video cameras! I was one of those people who was recording all of the rides but instead of using the screen on the side of the camera i kept it closed and used the old fashioned eye hole to record with. It was a pain in the rear but I didn't want to ruin the ride/attraction for other people.
    I understand your point, but a lot of the newer video cameras (like the one I have) do not have the optical viewfinders anymore, just the touch screen. That said, I use the screen to get the initial focus, then close the screen and hope I get good video. (Otherwise, I just have to ride/view/visit again!! )

Post Thanks / Like

Both camera flashes and cell phone screens make me crazy. On our last trip we were on POTC and the lady in front of me kept taking flash pictures. I finally said loudly "What don't people understand about the statement NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY?" and she actually put the camera down and stopped taking pictures. It was great!

I always try to think of other people. I don't do anything that I would hate for someone else to do to me. Everyone is there to enjoy themselves and I try to be considerate of others. I just wish that everyone thought that way.
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pink View Post

What really bothers me is that they don't just take one picture and then they're done. They take pictures every 5 seconds.

Exactly. What in the world are they going to do with 100+ pics from POTC? Last time we rode we sat behind a group like that. I swear they took a picture of everything.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

It drives me crazy, but I will admit, I get a laugh knowing that some of the pics will not turn out anyway (like on projection screens or behind glass, etc)

I rarely ever take photos even without flash because I don't want to disturb people with the clicking shutter.

Post Thanks / Like

I must say that on our last trip I reached my breaking point. I was so tired of always being next to or behind the person taking flash pictures that I actually spoke up. I gently tapped him on the shoulder and said, excuse me can please stop taking pictures. You're blinding me everytime the flash goes off. He looked terribly guilty and slumped down in his seat. I'm sure not everyone would stop but having done it once now, I've got my courage up to start asking people to stop when they are taking pictures.

DH almost fell out of the boat because he's listened to me complain for years about it and was shocked when I finally said something.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

Our last trip there was a woman with a cell phone in one of the dark shows. Even though the CM said no flash photography or cell phones, this woman kept her phone open while she texted all through the show. It was very irritating and distracting. Then later we went into another show and the same thing but further down towards the front. The light was distracting to everyone even that far away. Turns out it was the same person. I can't believe a CM didn't say anything to her. Why are they even there if they aren't going to enforce the rules?
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

No easy answers to this one, but it's definitely an issue. There's a reason they're called a dark ride. Maybe some of the boats could be declared camera/video free (and some would be camera/video friendly.) You'd think people would be more considerate and think about how what they are doing is affecting others.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
    Does anyone feel this is OK and we are just being unreasonable?
    No. It is not OK! Ever! Although, I DO like the "sing louder" advice....love it, actually! I think I'm going to try this our next visit. And I'd like to enlist all of your help, as well! We could start a SCPVCDDR (Stop Cell Phones Video Cameras During Dark Rides) Movement!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    No easy answers to this one, but it's definitely an issue. There's a reason they're called a dark ride. Maybe some of the boats could be declared camera/video free (and some would be camera/video friendly.) You'd think people would be more considerate and think about how what they are doing is affecting others.
    Why would they be considerate at DW? They aren't considerate when they're in the left lane of the highway, or not using their turn signals, or on their phone at the check out in the grocery store. We live in a world right now that allows everyone to be inconsiderate. Drives me crazy! I will be saying something to these people next time. Very politely, of course, but how can people know if we don't speak up?

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I've found is people at WDW are many times out for themselves. They don't take the time to realize they may be bothering someone or ruining someone else's first time
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: