Quantcast Help Us Decide!!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Which DVC Property Should We Buy Into?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bay Lake Tower

11 26.19%
  • Animal Kingdom Villas

8 19.05%
  • Beach Club Villas

23 54.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help Us Decide!!

DH and I are planning on becoming DVC members by the end of the month but we can't decide which resort to buy into! Please give me your thoughts - here are our top three choices:

(no particular order)

1. Bay Lake Tower -

Positives: I LOVE the idea of being right on the monorail and with two small children I think this is an ideal location.

Negatives: The modern decor isn't exactly my thing. I'm sure the rooms are gorgeous but whenever I'm in the Contemporary I don't feel 'at home' the way I do at other resorts.

2. Animal Kingdom Lodge -

Positives: AKL is hands down one of my favorite resorts. I love the decor and the Savannah view rooms are spectacular. DH and I both also love the restaurants.

Negatives: I HATE taking buses and this resort is the furthest from all of the parks except Animal Kingdom.

3. Beach Club Villas (resale)

Positives: Beach Club has always been at the very top of my favorite list. I love the decor, Beaches & Cream and Stormalong Bay is the best pool on Disney property. I also love the location.

Negatives: Even though it's a great location for Epcot & HS, with two small children I see us spending most of our time at MK for the next few years at least. Also, if we buy resale we'll have to do our own financing. Plus there are no guarantees that we'll actually get the points if Disney decides to go with ROFR.

Which one would you go with?
    See You Real Soon!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

At this point, I would probably choose Beach Club.

The location of AKL isn't going to change, so if bussing is an issue, that's not going to change.
    I'm a little worried about this Phase One talk with AKLV. If it turns into another SSR I'll be very angry.

You couldn't get me into the Contemporary except to go to the bathroom. I don't like the resort not one bit. While right now, the location might be ideal, that will change.

You can pick up resales for next to nothing these days. I wouldn't worry too much about Disney going with the ROFR route. If they do that, they need to buy the points and frankly I think they need to worry more about moving their current resorts. I might even play the lowball game on a few resales to see how low you can get it. It's no skin off your back if Disney pulls them out from under you, frankly, if the seller accepts your bid, they will sell the property anyway.

I like the Beach Club, it's a nice resort. The one downside is the points expire sooner than AKLV and BLT. I really like AKL (it's my favorite of all the resorts), but if they end up turning it into another SSR, it won't be hard to get into, Beach Club is not going to be expanding, it is what it is.

Post Thanks / Like

BC Villas definitely - such a great place and its the toughest to get if you dont have it
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

BCV will cost less to buy but it also has an earlier finish date. If you are looking short term then BLT is probably best. Longer term BCV. If buses are enough for you not to love AKL then that is out.
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

I voted BLT. It will last for 50 years, has monorail access to both MK and Epcot (via TTC), and you can walk to the MK. There are nice restaurants off the monorail. The annual dues are the lowest of all resorts.
    DVC Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I voted for Animal Kingdom. Based on the resort style and decor I think its the best. However, I know about the transportation issue but its not a big issue for me, since I don't have a set schedule when I'm there. My second choice would be BCV because of the location plus BLT studios have strange bathrooms.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like the only real drawback for Contemporary is the decor. Not feeling at home can be a big impediment, true, but I think the location makes up for it and you would feel more at home after a few stays, keeping in mind also that BLT probably won't feel as big, busy, and hollow as the a-frame next door.

BCV, great location and it's hard to stay there if you don't buy there, to my understanding, but you are buying in for so much less time.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

FIrst of all, you are in a no lose situation. You will enjoy all of them and can use all of them depending on the season. That being said, unless your kids are really, really young I would vote for Beach Club. They will quickly grow into the pool and will love it. You will love the grounds and everything around it. It offers far more to do than BLT, but it also depends on what your family enjoys. Just my two cents. Mark
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Of the 3 I would have to say BCV. The only draw back is the contract runs out sooner than the other 2. But they may offer an extension of years like they have for OKW.
    DVC Members since 2006!
    Home Resorts SSR and AKV!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help Us Decide!!

When our 4 children were young we always stayed at the Contemporary. It is our favorite resort and so very convenient with children of all ages. I love the decor and find the building a marvel. However, you need to have a good feel for where you plan to stay so it sounds like BLT is out for you.

AKL is so beautiful and a great place to stay for adults traveling alone or with children. We rented a car when we stayed there so the transportation was not a barrier but if you plan to use the bus system and will be with children this choice can be problematic (especially if you want to go to and from the parks and AKL more than once a day).

Sounds like you really like BC. If the shorter length of the contract and its distance from MK is not an issue (and really taking the bus to MK or the monorail is not such a big deal) then your choice might be made. You can even get a good prive via the resale market.

Post Thanks / Like

I would do BCV or BLT. Both are super nice and super convenient to some parks. If you have younger kids, do BLT as it is a stones throw to MK. If you have older kids, do BCV because the pool is cool (but can't keep a good eye on little kids), it's a short walk or boat ride to Epcot and HS and it's on the boardwalk (which adds a little excitement/entertainment). BLT uses a ton of points, but has the lowest annual fees. BCV are difficult to get into if it's not your home resort. BLT would get you a membership quicker since BCV would be a resale and has to go through "right of first refusal" and closing.
    DVC since 2006 at OKW, HHI, AKV and BWV
    Upcoming: Aug 1-8, 2015 at BWV

Post Thanks / Like

I know that this might sound a little odd, but you could buy half the points that you need at BLT (obviously at least 160 points) and the other half at BCV. Then you can alternate resorts each year or you can split your stay between the two resorts each year. Plus, if you buy BLT while the incentive is still in place, you can get a free cruise out of the deal. If you find that you don't like BLT after all, then just sell and buy more points at BCV as a resale.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

I would buy resale at BCV.

BLT does nothing for me and I have been dying for DVC on the monerail line but the decore is a HUGE turnoff for us. Reminds me of when we used to travel with DH on business trips. Not eh at home in Disney feel so I understand your issues there.

As far as AKL goes the location is the big turnoff for us.

BCV are a GREAT location even if the kids will be spending most of their days at MK. The pool area is fabulous, tons to do on the Boardwalk. WS is just a few steps away.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I really like AKL (it's my favorite of all the resorts), but if they end up turning it into another SSR, it won't be hard to get into, Beach Club is not going to be expanding, it is what it is.
    I don't get what you mean. The eventual size of AKV is already determined. And with the great theming a and feel of the resort, the extra baths in the 1 and 2 br, the savannas, (4 in total) and the outstanding dining options, I think it will be an exceptionally popular resort. It is the most unique on property.
    Ed aka Horizon93

"If we can dream it, then we can do it".

DVC owner as of July 07 at AKV, as of Oct 2010 at BWV

Just back from honeymoon at AKV Kidani, July 2013!

Next up...not sure yet, but going back soon! )

Post Thanks / Like

I voted for Kidani...

I really wouldn't consider the age of your kids in the decision at all. I can see how you'd be tempted to, of course, but (if you buy new) you'll have this ownership for 52 years. For how many of those years is Small World going to be their favorite ride? Of course, they could be taking their own children on your membership in the future... Maybe even their grandchildren.

Remember also, that while you're buying into the home resort advantage, you can (theoretically) stay at any of the resorts. In the short time we've had our membership, we've stayed at SSR, BWV, and OKW, and we'll be at Kidani in less than two weeks ().

Have fun deciding! It's quite a shopping trip.

- Aero
    Por favor, manténganse alejado de los puercos.

First trip, 1993. DVC Member, 2005. POLY (2x), YC, BC, CSR (3x), POR (2x), SSR (4x), BWV (2x), CBR, DCL (3x), AbD Viva Italia, OKW, AKV/KV (4x), BLT

Post Thanks / Like

You've gotten a range of responses, haven't you? I've found that asking the which resort question is kind of like asking which flavor of ice cream.

Make your own decision. I would consider the factors mentioned in this thread.
    DVC Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Horizon93 View Post
    I don't get what you mean. The eventual size of AKV is already determined.
    There have been several recent references to Phase 1 at AKLV. I believe this to be Kidani Village. When you start referencing something as Phase 1, I think it is safe to assume there will be a Phase 2, Phase 3, etc. I have NOT seen anything announced as to what Phase 2 at AKLV entails, is it another add on the size of Kidani Village?

SSR I believe is at Phase 3, and I think it is totally built out. If AKLV becomes as large as SSR it will certainly become one of the less desireable resorts IMHO. Definitely one of the easier resorts to get into, much like SSR.

That is a real concern of mine...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    There have been several recent references to Phase 1 at AKLV. I believe this to be Kidani Village. When you start referencing something as Phase 1, I think it is safe to assume there will be a Phase 2, Phase 3, etc. I have NOT seen anything announced as to what Phase 2 at AKLV entails, is it another add on the size of Kidani Village?
    Phase 1 is the first half of Kidani Village, which opened at the beginning of May. Phase 2 is the rest of the guest rooms (within the same footprint), plus the Pembe Savannah, which I believe is slated to open in September. I don't believe anything is planned beyond that.

- Aero
    Por favor, manténganse alejado de los puercos.

First trip, 1993. DVC Member, 2005. POLY (2x), YC, BC, CSR (3x), POR (2x), SSR (4x), BWV (2x), CBR, DCL (3x), AbD Viva Italia, OKW, AKV/KV (4x), BLT

Post Thanks / Like

After our first stay at the Poly, I didnt' think I would like the contemporay.... but it became our favorite resort! The closeness to MK makes any of the other nondisney feelings disappear. There is nothing like being that close to MK. You also could rent out BLT very easily!! good luck with your decision.
    MK 1980 FOUR hours(July & 105) * Nov 04 POLY.. with my 2 princesses *Nov 05 Contemporary *Nov 06 split stay Cont/POFQ , making memories with my 21 yr old neice who has cancer. Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007 :(
    Nov 07 WL *Nov 08 VWL *Nov 09 Bay Lake Tower WDW/DC/SW/DCL*April 2011 B2B Disney Dream

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for your help everybody!! DH and I decided to buy into BLT for now and then add points on from BCV resale in a year or two. I am SO excited to be a new DVC owner and can't wait to take our first trip!!!! I'll be on the phone at 7am 11 months in advance this fall to book our BLT room with a view of the Magic Kingdom! Hooray!
    See You Real Soon!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: