Quantcast Do you tip Mousekeeping? - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Do you tip Mousekeeping?

Voters
299. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

201 67.22%
  • Sometimes

50 16.72%
  • Never

48 16.05%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Post Thanks / Like

I tip because it's a luxury. I don't tip my massage therapist because her service for my arthritis is better than any medication. The massage is not a luxury. Housekeeping is a luxury because I can clean my own "house". I tip the hairstylist, the pedicurist and luxury services - those that I do not consider integral to my wellbeing. This will of course open a whole can of worms on this board. I would be fine with not having my room cleaned for the entire week, I don't have a maid at home so it would be fine. The fact, as many have written, someone actually chose to work in a job that I would not choose to work in, impresses me. Of course, on that note, I guess I should tip my dentist - I would never choose to do that work!
    Magic Happens!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We tip, for the 3 of us, $3 per day. We only got towel animals once, and that was on the first day of our trip, when we first entered our room. Oh, and I put the money in envelopes marked Mousekeeping, so the mousekeeper knows it's for her. I make the envelopes up ahead of time so I don't have to scramble to find money in the morning.

Other people don't tip, that's their choice. To each his/her own.
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bethis26fan View Post
    We do tip, but I read on hear that it's not a a tipping position. So with that said do they get to keep the tips we leave?
    That is why I was surprised when we arrived at the Grand Californian in Disneyland that they had a pamphlet and in it was written that Housekeeping is a tipping position along with bell boys, and waiters for room service, vallets etc. I so wish that I had of remembered to bring it home with me.
    We always tipped anyways as previously posted.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

We always do, usually $1 pp in the room. Even if the service was less than stellar, we know that there is a chance we'll have someone different the next day, so we want to be sure to tip them. Plus, my DD's are learning a valueable lesson about valuing things that are done for them, and appreciating what others do to make their trip nicer. (They decorate and label the envelopes for us. )
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I think there are a few people on here that need a maybe it will help lighten the mood.
    Geez, this thread feels like we have offical started to

To each his own, can't we agree to disagree. The poor OP will probably never ask a question for advice again

Next Trip-Jan 2012 POFQ! & 2nd DCL! Sailing To The Caribbean!

Previous Trips
    12/'10 CBR & 1st DCL
    12/'09 CBR
    12/'08 *1st On Property*- POFQ
    12/'07 *1st Christmas Trip*
    04/'06 1st trip back
    11/'91* 6 yrs old, My 1st Trip To WDW*

șoș "Let Us Not Forget,It All Started With A Mouse" șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Tipping Mousekeeping

We make a special envelope for everyday we are there, and we always tip mousekeeping. We love the service and it shows.
    Keep smiling and Have a magical day!!!
    It's all good.

We love to serve fun, food, and deliciousness.

AKA: Jean and Marty

Post Thanks / Like

We almost always tip mousekeeping. We tip $1 per person for a total of $4 per day for our family of four. The lone exception was our last stay @ POR. The mousekeeping was so bad we stopped tipping once it was clear this was not an isolated incident, but rather a reoccurring pattern.
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
    DLR - AP
    Walt Disney World
    May 1988, 2000, 2003, Oct 2006 - Offsite
    May 1990 - Cruise/CBR
    May 2006 - POR & Swan
    May 2007 - Tokyo Disney Sea
    Jan 2009, May 2010, Jan 2013, May 2015 - Swan
    Sept 2016 - Wyndham Grand BC/Swan
    Sept 2018 - Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by d_m_n_n View Post
    We don't tip in the traditional way. My form of a tip is making their life a little easier by not making them clean my room. I will find the housekeeper in the hallway before we leave in the morning and tell her not to bother with our room. In a week stay, they might have to clean twice...and we always leave the room neat.
    This is what we do as well. We will put up the Do Not Disturb sign for the duration of our stay. Take it down once or twice and leave a tip those days only. That being said . . . on one particular trip I came down with a severe case of food poisoning . . . and EVERYTHING needed to be cleaned. We left the room only long enough for Mousekeeping to do their thing (I was still pretty sick) . . . and we tipped them personally when they were done . . . a little more than usual
    Sarah
    "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are,when you wish upon a star your dreams, come TRUE"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I think the whole point of this thread is that everyone has to do what they are comfortable with. Housekeepers at WDW do get paid a decent wage; if some people want to supplement that because of exceptional service than that should be okay. But no one needs to feel guilty if they do not.
    Well said Beth . . . and really that should be the end of the discussion.
    Sarah
    "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are,when you wish upon a star your dreams, come TRUE"

Post Thanks / Like

We always tip $3 per day with a note thanking mousekeeping. This last trip we had a mousekeeper who would write us notes each day thanking us and telling us to have a magical day. On the last day for some reason she did not take the tip and left us a nice note telling us goodbye and left us a towel squirrel.
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

buzz2001 Guest

Always!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I am an 'old fashioned' tipper. I believe that my tips are for exceptional service or making my experience better in some way ie great humor, unexpected kindness, etc.

I, unfortunately, do not believe my tip should be a wage supplement, bribe or demanded(automatic % added on my bill). Soo . . .off my soapbox . . . .

I tip the mousekeepers if they are good, have been friendly/ courteous with us or a have gone out of their way to add magic to my trip somehow. The crabby ones aren't going to see much in the way of cash from us, though we will always be courteous.

And I find that there are VERY few CM's in WDW that have not received tips from us.

It's all good . . .
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess21 View Post
    The poor OP will probably never ask a question for advice.
    But, we haven't had the other easy questions, yet:
    . . . do you take kids out of school for WDW?
    . . . how can I put 5-people in a 4-person room?
    . . . it is OK to line jump?
    . . . can my brother take my 1/2 used tickets?
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

We tip housekeeping at every hotel we stay in whether we are at Disney or elsewhere. We don't do this until the very last day though as we are leaving the room.
    1986 Off Site
    1994 Off Site
    2001 Off Site
    2004 Off Site
    2008 Pop Century
    2011 Off Site MNSSHP

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone. I think I made it half way through page 2. After some of the things people post regarding their "opinions" just amaze me. It seems that everyone gets off the subject so easy.

From now on I will leave the do not disturb sign on my door. I will give a few bucks when they deliver me some fresh towels. This next trip is just me and DD. I clean my room every morning before we head out. I even make my own bed. So really I have been tipping for fresh towels. Kind of expensive. Any way, I have always tipped even when it wasn't deserved out of fear the next housekeeper was a different person. I think my idea will solve all this and save me a few bucks.

Post Thanks / Like

We did tip all the time until this trip. We gave up on tipping. Our maid woke us up everyday at 8am trying to walk in on us . We had to latch the door to keep her out; she continued to wake us everyday banging on the door. We never were given enough towels,even when we asked; finally we just started taking them from the pool area. The towels were never hung, always dropped in a pile on our bench. She wouldn't wipe down the bathroom, by the time we left, it smelled. They had to hypoallergenically clean our room, and told us they had to take the comforters to clean them and they would be back in 2-3 days, we never saw them again and this was on day 4 of our trip and we stayed 14 days . We just stopped. It was ridiculous.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

We tip everyday and have never had a problem. Like someone stated before it's not usually the same mousekeeper everyday. Plus DW likes to decorate the envelopes.
    Next up CBR 10/31-11/8

Keep Moving Forward!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Always at any kind of hotel. 1-3 $day /per adult

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

I just spent 10 nights at ASMusic and had one of the best mousekeepers I've ever had at WDW. Every evening was an adventure. She was very creative in how she left fresh towels, soap and shampoo. I also received several towel animals.

I always tip every day (just a habit I've gotten into over the years) and I don't think it made any difference in the service.
    Sylvia șOș

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

wow, i wish we would have one trip in which we got a towel animal.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD