Quantcast Do you tip Mousekeeping? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Do you tip Mousekeeping?

Voters
299. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

201 67.22%
  • Sometimes

50 16.72%
  • Never

48 16.05%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

We tip $5.00 per day, because it's the right thing to do.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm really sorry that this thread has become as "violent" in some of its posts as it had. I was really just looking for some thoughts on tipping, and was hoping to get some opinions. After some of the posts, I went and looked up proper etiquette for tipping housekeepers. From what I found tipping is what many people consider proper. Those who don't are free not too, as my family has done for a long time. However, as someone said if it makes someone's day a little better it's worth it. Afterall, I'm going to WDW to have a great time and looking for the CM's to make my day. It seems fair that I do something nice for them as well.

Please, play nice.
    Erica

'83, '86 - CR
    '89 - GF
    '94, '98 - Poly
    '00, 3/09 - Off site
    '01 - ASM
    '02 - Swan
    5/09 - POR
    10/09 - AKL
    12/09 - GF
    Next trip???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by estein80 View Post
    Please, play nice.
    Inevitable in these types of threads. Unfortunately someone always gets offended. No worries. I too like to hear everyone's views. To each his own.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

We don't tip in the traditional way. My form of a tip is making their life a little easier by not making them clean my room. I will find the housekeeper in the hallway before we leave in the morning and tell her not to bother with our room. In a week stay, they might have to clean twice...and we always leave the room neat.
    First trip...02/72 Fort Wilderness
    Last trip...2/2016 Boardwalk Inn
    Next trip...2/2017 Boardwalk Inn Princess Half Weekend

"Mama, another gator got in the house"

"Don't make me turn this formation around!"

Iteachpc Guest

I'm not trying to justify my actions for tipping or not tipping. As I stated before I have ALWAYS tipped mousekeeping. After reading countless posts on this subject I don't know what to think. Is it so unreasonable to think that someone on this board might actually know the WDW policy for mousekeepers? So when I read that maids are not allowed to keep tips or that they are paid better than other non-tipped positions at WDW what am I to believe?

There's no reason to be so critical.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iteachpc View Post
    I'm not trying to justify my actions for tipping or not tipping. As I stated before I have ALWAYS tipped mousekeeping. After reading countless posts on this subject I don't know what to think. Is it so unreasonable to think that someone on this board might actually know the WDW policy for mousekeepers? So when I read that maids are not allowed to keep tips or that they are paid better than other non-tipped positions at WDW what am I to believe?

There's no reason to be so critical.
    If you like to tip, continue tipping. You do what works for you and your family. You don't need to justify your kindness to anyone. Just enjoy the fact that you made someone's day a little bit brighter regardless of "policy".

When I used to hostess at a fine dining restaurant (many moons ago) I worked in a nontipped position and I loved when someone tipped me (always on the way out) it made my night.

To each his own.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greengeen View Post
    Okay, this is why I HATE these threads. Folks who are so proud of the fact that they leave a few bucks a day for a NON-TIPPED position want to make the rest of us, who know it is a NON-TIPPED position, feel bad. Shame on all of you "I make special envelopes and seal them with a kiss and you should too" people. It's perfectly okay and normal not to tip a NON-TIPPED position, and no one is going to get gold-plated towel animals because they left $1.50 on the counter, so get over that one too!
    I never tip because I expect something special like a towel animal in return. I tip because I appreciate the work they do for me and it's just nice. To me it's not about the money so I could care less how much they get paid. It's about the fact that it's an undesirable job and I appreciate that someone else is taking care of my room while I'm out enjoying my vacation. It's just a way to say thank you and honestly it's such a small amount of money. Why not?
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hatin' the Thread

Quote Originally Posted by greengeen View Post
    Okay, this is why I HATE these threads. Folks who are so proud of the fact that they leave a few bucks a day for a NON-TIPPED position want to make the rest of us, who know it is a NON-TIPPED position...!
    I too find all of this no fun.

Tippers Who Annoy Me
    • People who toss a few bucks on the nightstand so they can feel like big shots helping the poor unfortunate toilet cleaners. They're people who think they're better than the people they are tipping.
    • People who think a tip will get them one of the FAbulous towel animals.
    • People who decorate envelopes. It's wrong, just wrong, to assume the
      "Mousekeeper" who is working to pay bills and buy groceries wants to play magical Mickey with you just because you chose a WDW vacation.
    • People who tip too much and advise other to do the same. X dollars per person per day isn't tipping, it's bragging.
    NonTippers Who Annoy Me
    • Self appointed experts on what positions are to be tipped who think I'm a bumpkin because I have a different opinion than them
    • People who use "I hear they get paid a forture" or some other excuse to cheap out.
    I tip when I stay at a WDW resort because I always tip housekeeping, every country, every time and not because anyone else tells me I should or shouldn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    I too find all of this no fun.
    Then why would you participate?
    Jeff

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tippers Who Annoy Me
    • People who toss a few bucks on the nightstand so they can feel like big shots helping the poor unfortunate toilet cleaners. They're people who think they're better than the people they are tipping.
    • People who think a tip will get them one of the FAbulous towel animals.
    • People who decorate envelopes. It's wrong, just wrong, to assume the
      "Mousekeeper" who is working to pay bills and buy groceries wants to play magical Mickey with you just because you chose a WDW vacation.
    • People who tip too much and advise other to do the same. X dollars per person per day isn't tipping, it's bragging.
    NonTippers Who Annoy Me
    • Self appointed experts on what positions are to be tipped who think I'm a bumpkin because I have a different opinion than them
    • People who use "I hear they get paid a forture" or some other excuse to cheap out.
    I tip when I stay at a WDW resort because I always tip housekeeping, every country, every time and not because anyone else tells me I should or shouldn't.
    Thank you! I can agree with every word.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MidnTPK View Post
    This is a chicken and egg thing:

My guess is that WDW probably pays it's housekeeping staff somewhat more than a typical hotel maid because so many people who go to WDW don't know that its a standard convention to leave a gratuity for one's housekeeper.....like foreigners that don't know that in the U.S. you leave 15-20% at sit-down restaurants and bars.

It's not about respecting choices...that's a given...there's no requirement to tip. But most of us do because it's an accepted convention of politeness, generosity, thanks, and civility.
    I just came on to see how this thread was doing and wow. Thanks for the response!!!

The crazy logic isn't the fact of the tip it is what the poster was saying about those who don't tip and what he is equating it to.

In my post I explained my logic for not tipping and I asked simply to be respected with my choice. Not once did I blast anyone who tipped, if you want to tip good for you and I respect you decision. It is great that those of you who tip out of genrousity, kindness and civilty are so considerate. But becuase I chose not to tip this position I'm not acting in a way less civil than anyone else.

There is no need to be pompous becuase you tip and others don't. I asked for a simple let me explain my reason and respect my explanation.
    '94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

me and dw do tip our maid service, how much we tip is personal so on tht note...
    , we've never had any issues with mousekeeping

Victor
    95-97,99(dixie landings)
    06/06(asmo- mighty ducks)
    06/07(asmu - jazz inn)
    12/07(asmu - broadway)
    06/08(asmu - calypso)
    12/08(asmu - rock inn)
    09/09(asmu - broadway)
    03/10(boardwalk)free upgrade
    09/10-(asmu- rock inn)
    10/11-(asmu-country+7 day west carib cruise)
    3/12- (okw resort dvc)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff G View Post
    I asked for a simple let me explain my reason and respect my explanation.
    I think you need to further define what how others are supposed to 'respect' your decision.

Would you have us deny the fact that people ought to tip their maid? I don't think that's going to happen. A large majority of us think that this is a custom/convention in the same category as holding a door open for the person behind you, saying thank-you for services rendered, and tipping a parking valet. For these customs/conventions there's no law that says you have to but people do it to be nice and adhere to the convention.

Tipping one's maid is a widely accepted convention. Extenuating circumstances or explanations don't change that fact.

Disney's acknowledgement of the fact that many people ignore this convention doesn't change the convention either...it just show that Disney knows a segment of its guests generally don't tip their maids....and it attempts to compensate it's employees for the difference between the way the Outside World and Disney World work.
    80s: Poly X 2, LBR X 3;
    CBR 3/00
    YC 10/02, 9/06
    Dolphin 10/04
    DL - Grand Californian 3/06
    Disneyland Paris 9/07
    Swan 9/08, 6/10
    BLT @ the CR, 9/09, 12/10 - Daddy-Daughter Trip

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, and 3/11

Post Thanks / Like

$1-2 per person per night.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone that will pick up our room after our family has spent the night deserves a tip.

I (a nurse) can't imagine what it must be like, picking up wet towels, cleaning the toothpaste out of the sink, cleaning the toilets, making the beds, etc. for strangers. And I have seen some pretty nasty things in my line of work.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

We just returned from the Pop Century...and we had a wonderful mousekeeper for a week Yolanda...and I did for the first time plan to tip. My DH always tips $5 a day (which his company does not reimburse) when he travels for business, so that what I did...I had special envelopes and had them ready...our room was always perfect and extra towels and when she saw we had a 2 yr old she went out and brought back the most perfect towel bear that was trimmed in ribbons...my DGD slept with 'towel bear' every night...
    We also had Yolanda at Pop Century in March, she was such a nice lady and she did a good job every day.

We usually leave $1 for each person, each day. So since we had four people and two rooms I left $2 in an envelope each day.

One day we came back when she was still there and she thanked us profusely for the tips and was so grateful. Which makes me think she doesn't get tipped that often. Because of the tips, we have never had a unclean room/bathroom during our stay.

Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

ALWAYS!!! Usually $5 @ day in a marked and plainly visible envelope. So far, we have not had to make any special request, as they have always had our room done to our satisfaction!
    (Of course, tips are based soley on service. If our room is not to our satisfaction the first couple of days, tips will not be forthcoming) But, to date, thankfully that has not been the case.
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Always tip!! I can't believe this is in question!! Good grief! These poor mouskeepers have to scrub toilets for minimum wage!!

People who tip shouldn't brag because they aren't doing anything special, they're simply doing what they should but whats really bizarre; is that we've got non tippers on here acting self righteous trying to defend the fact that they don't tip. You get good services from people who work in the service industry, you tip, plain and simple.
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

I know many had posted on this subject. This is was my family does. We tie up all trash and set it in the bathroom, strighten up the beds, make sure all our stuff it put away, make it as easy as possible for mousekeeping. We still tip $1-$2 a person in the room for the night.

Post Thanks / Like

[B][*]People who tip too much and advise other to do the same. X dollars per person per day isn't tipping, it's bragging.
    I can agree with all of your points except this one. Intercot is a source of WDW info and often times people ask what might be considered an appropriate tip. I don't think it's wrong to answer honestly. There are bound to be a range of answers, but the one I hear most often is $1 per person per day. I can't believe you would think anyone would be bragging about a few dollars. Ridiculous. When I was younger and taking vacations on my own for the first time I had lots of questions about tipping among other things. I appreciated the fact that I could get answers from Disney veterans at Intercot.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: