Quantcast Do you tip Mousekeeping?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Do you tip Mousekeeping?

Voters
299. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

201 67.22%
  • Sometimes

50 16.72%
  • Never

48 16.05%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you tip Mousekeeping?

DH and I have not tipped Mousekeeping in the past, but after reading several posts, I am rethinking this. Just wondering if people do, why and how much.

Thanks!
    Erica

'83, '86 - CR
    '89 - GF
    '94, '98 - Poly
    '00, 3/09 - Off site
    '01 - ASM
    '02 - Swan
    5/09 - POR
    10/09 - AKL
    12/09 - GF
    Next trip???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Your question will, undoubtedly, start a firestorm of replies...this question usually does.

In any event...my DW and I generally tip $3/day and I leave it in a "THANK YOU MOUSEKEEPING" envelope on the desk or nightstand. I think it's important that Disney mousekeepers know they're appreciated and, should the need arise, tipping may result in a more positive response to any requests we may have.

It's, of course, completely up to you whether or not you tip. I'm sure you'll recieve great service either way.
    Eric

ASMusic 4/22
    POFQ 1/22
    AKL 9/21
    POFQ 1/20
    Pop Cent 6/19 & 11/19
    POFQ 3/19
    B Resort 11/18
    ASMusic
    3 & 7/18
    ASMusic 3/17
    Boardwalk 7/14 & 6/16
    Swan 3/13
    Solana Villa 3/11
    Grand Flo 12/09
    ASMov & Grand Flo 3/08
    Vistana 3/06
    AKL 3/05
    WL 6/02
    Off-Site 10/00
    ASMusic 3/98
    Poly 6/86
    LBV Villas 6/83

Post Thanks / Like

We tip in an envelope with Mousekeeping on the front and a list of any special needs we may have. One or two dollars per inhabitant and more if we have any extra requests (more towels than usual, etc)
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

We just returned from the Pop Century...and we had a wonderful mousekeeper for a week Yolanda...and I did for the first time plan to tip. My DH always tips $5 a day (which his company does not reimburse) when he travels for business, so that what I did...I had special envelopes and had them ready...our room was always perfect and extra towels and when she saw we had a 2 yr old she went out and brought back the most perfect towel bear that was trimmed in ribbons...my DGD slept with 'towel bear' every night...

We did have one different mousekeeper, she was hearing impaired and knocked on the door until we answered (8:30am) and handed me a card saying that she was hearing impaired and could she clean the room now...or come back later...I pointed to later and she smiled and left...but it was kinda early to start knocking on doors...but that's OK...I'm glad that disney employs all kinds of people...

Enjoy your trip.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

We usually leave something each day. It depends on the service as to how much.
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

We used to...until I learned it was a non-tipping position and that the compensation of the position was far better than run of the mill housekeeping at other accommodations.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

We tip mousekeeping every day. $1.00 per person per day lets them know that we appreciate them.

Post Thanks / Like

We always have tipped Mousekeeping! Even now that we are DVC members and you do not have Mousekeeping everyday like the regular Disney resorts. They still have to come in when we are gone to clean up for next family. Also I'm sure it's much appreciated!
    DVC Members since 2006!
    Home Resorts SSR and AKV!

Post Thanks / Like

1) We do not leave tips at WDW for housekeeping.
    2) At most hotels, maids are poorly paid.
    3) At WDW, the maids are paid well, and in a NON-TIPPED job classification.
    4) In fact, they are paid more than many other WDW jobs.
    5) WDW maids (per union contract)
    . . . make up to $12.47/hr
    . . . leave 45-minutes early and be paid for it
    . . . make up to $1.00/hr in Flex bonus
    . . . make up to $22.00/room incentive pay
    . . . make up to $35.00/room incentive pay for DVC rooms
    . . . work very desirable schedules versus other CM's

NOTE: The whole idea of Walt is that everyone gets treated the same, whether they can afford to tip or not. Plus, he did not want people to have to tip everywhere they went or for every service they received.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post

NOTE: The whole idea of Walt is that everyone gets treated the same, whether they can afford to tip or not. Plus, he did not want people to have to tip everywhere they went or for every service they received.
    To deflate the spin you put on your post. The starting pay is $8.00. I do not know about incentives etc... but let's put $8 into real terms for a full time employee. That is $320 per week before taxes, social security, and medicare are all taken out. With a family and only one other person living with the worker, they are living at the Poverty level. I know how tough it can be to be living at that level. So I will choose to tip. I will not condem anyone that does not tip that is their business.
    1965*, 1972, 1980, 1986, 1992, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004 Disneyland ** Aug 2009 25th Wedding Anniversary, 2010 (June), 2012

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one

Post Thanks / Like

We generally tip about $3 a day BUT we dont leave money everyday as we just dont always have the cash, or race out of the room forgetting about it. So one day we might leave $6 and then another two days later leave more and so on.
    Disney

Post Thanks / Like

We are DVC members so on the days that we just get towel/trash service, we leave $1.00 per person. On the day that we get a full room cleaning, we leave about between $5-7.00, depending on the size room we have.
    10/91-Honeymoon YC Concierge
    6/92, 5/93, 9/95, 9/99-YC
    9/00-BWI,YC
    6/01-AKL,YC
    9/02-BCV,YC
    5/03-BCV
    8/03-WLV,BWV
    1/04-HH,BWV,OKW
    6/04, 5/05-BWV
    8/05, 11/07-SSR
    2/09-BCV
    11/09-BCV
    5/11-AKL
    4/12-OKW

Post Thanks / Like

We always tip the Mousekeepers. My husband usually leaves $5 a day.
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't tipping Mousekeeping be like tipping a Waitress/Waiter before you are seated since you are giving a tip before the service has even been done or do you usaually get the same Mousekeeper during the stay?
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Mouse View Post
    To deflate the spin you put on your post. The starting pay is $8.00. I do not know about incentives etc... but let's put $8 into real terms for a full time employee. That is $320 per week before taxes, social security, and medicare are all taken out. With a family and only one other person living with the worker, they are living at the Poverty level. I know how tough it can be to be living at that level. So I will choose to tip. I will not condem anyone that does not tip that is their business.

$22.00/roon incentive???
    Anyone know how many rooms a maid does in a given day?

We have found regardless of how much we tip (or don't tip) on a daily basis, the service does not change, nor does it change whether or not we receive special towel animals.
    May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walt and Tipping

I'm not sure this was a great attitude for Uncle Walt to have. Was he saying he was allowed to make millions but the rank and file 'cast members' coudn't get a few tips?

And guests are not all treated the same at WDW. There are many WDW experiences that guests can only get near if they have a LOT of money to spend.

I'm not saying WDW shouldn't be run like a business but let's not stiff the housekeepers because we say we're trying to carry out what we think Walt's wishes were.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    Wouldn't tipping Mousekeeping be like tipping a Waitress/Waiter before you are seated since you are giving a tip before the service has even been done
    Here are some people you should tip before they provide a service:

- a parking valet: do you want your car to come back in working order?

- a pool attendant: do you want to sit near the garbage cans or by the pool steps?

- a restaurant host/ess: do you want to eat tonight or tomorrow

-Your housekeeper/hotel maid: do you wan the person who has access to some of your most intimate things to like you or think you are a donkey? Very few people have dreams of being a hotel maid....it's not the road to being on the lifestyles of the rich and famous. How about making their day just a little better by throwing them a few bucks. It's hard to say you can't afford it when you're paying for room, transport, and park tickets at WDW.

As to why housekeeping might not be considered a tipping position: because so many people don't tip their housekeeper!
    80s: Poly X 2, LBR X 3;
    CBR 3/00
    YC 10/02, 9/06
    Dolphin 10/04
    DL - Grand Californian 3/06
    Disneyland Paris 9/07
    Swan 9/08, 6/10
    BLT @ the CR, 9/09, 12/10 - Daddy-Daughter Trip

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, and 3/11

Post Thanks / Like

There are 3 of us so we leave $3.00 p/day. I just think its the right thing to do and I feel good about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking TIPS To Insure Prompt Service

We just got back from POFQ. We had the same mousekeeper every day for six days. We tipped her $25.00. She did a great job. If it was a different mousekeeper for different days, we would have tipped them at $5.00 a day or so. We also tipped our luggage girl as well. She did a great job.
    Keep smiling and Have a magical day!!!
    It's all good.

We love to serve fun, food, and deliciousness.

AKA: Jean and Marty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MidnTPK View Post

As to why housekeeping might not be considered a tipping position: because so many people don't tip their housekeeper!
    Mousekeeping is not a tipped position because their mimimum wage is higher. Tipped positions have a much lower minimum wage - like $3 or $4 an hour. Think waitstaff. They're supposed to make up the difference with tips. Positions like housekeeping have a straight hourly rate. They are paid the same amount no matter what.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: