Quantcast Photopass CD Price Increase

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Photopass CD Price Increase

On June 16th, the price of the Photopass CD is increasing to $149.00...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow thanks for the heads-up- how far in advance can you order it?

Post Thanks / Like

Of course they did.. How else are they going to milk us out of more money. I take my own. Costs less and I get what I want. Honestly, I take better pictures...

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Just got off the phone w/ Disney and was told that the pre-order price will not be increasing, though... still $99. Guess that's what everyone's going to have to do now!!

(You can order it as far in advance as you'd like, and have read on a few other sites about people "preordering" it after they've gotten home!)

Also - there is a special out there right now from Disney Visa for 15% off the pre-order price... can't post the link here, but if you google it, you'll find the link on a few other sites.

Just pre-ordered it for my October trip for $84.99!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

We're going to be trying out Photopass for the first time next week (I pre-ordered a while back). It seems like a cool thing, especially since we're going for our honeymoon so "us together" pics will be all the more important!
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    On June 16th, the price of the Photopass CD is increasing to $149.00...
    PT Barnun is alive and well, and living at WDW.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    PT Barnun is alive and well, and living at WDW.
    Yeah, I mean ... I'm all for capitalism and everything and fully support a company's right to charge whatever the market will bear ...

But I have to wonder who, in their right mind, would pay $149 for a photo CD???
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Yeah, I mean ... I'm all for capitalism and everything and fully support a company's right to charge whatever the market will bear ...

But I have to wonder who, in their right mind, would pay $149 for a photo CD???
    Probably the same ones who would pay $129! Sorry, call me a cheapskate, but I don't see how it's really worth THAT much! I mean, at that price, you can buy a really decent digital camera and a 4gb memory card and take your own pictures.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    Probably the same ones who would pay $129! Sorry, call me a cheapskate, but I don't see how it's really worth THAT much! I mean, at that price, you can buy a really decent digital camera and a 4gb memory card and take your own pictures.
    I know, right??

And really ... how many Photo Pass pictures are you going to get in one trip that are actually worth having? 20? 30? Even if you say 40 pictures, at that price it comes out to like $4 per picture ...

I can get a whole suite of professional photos taken of my kids at a real, honest-to-goodness picture studio for like $100!
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Okay, so I tried really hard to not post on this thread again... but I just can't help myself.

I totally agree with the fact that $129, and even $149, for a Photopass CD is ridiculous. It's highway robbery, Disney-style.

But, I also confess to having bought one. My primary reason? We were at Disney for Christmas, and we probably never will be again, and there was no way I was going to ask complete strangers to keep taking our picture (so we could have all 4 of us in the picture, not just the kids, or the kids w/ one of us...) over & over again, esp. after I saw how the first few came out. No one does your camera as good as you do, unless they have the same exact one.

So, I think we came home with about 55 pictures on the CD... and I put borders on about 15, so we ended up with 70. (I know, who really pays for borders... well, I guess I do, they were unique for us, as I don't usually photoshop my pictures that way.)

Then my DH and I sat down and really, I mean REALLY, looked at the photos... and decided that we really liked about 25 of them. And they weren't just ones of the 4 of us -- some of them were ones we weren't aware the photographer was taking, like my DD7's reaction to seeing Donald Duck up close for the first time -- the wonderment on her face was priceless. Could I have gotten that shot?? Probably... but I was too busy watching the exchange b/w her and her sister and the characters... and honestly, I was thankful to not be behind the lens for that moment.

So -- it came down to not getting all the pictures printed that we loved -- that would have been about the price of the CD -- and spending around $80 for the ones we could "settle on" -- or just biting the bullet and getting the CD (and cursing ourselves for not knowing before we left that we could have pre-ordered it for less).

I have since used the CD to print over 75 pictures... many for our scrapbook, many more for frames in our house, some for our girls to have in their rooms and/or take to school for projects, some as gifts for relatives who liked a particular shot.

So.... is it really worth the $129, or even $149? No, probably not, on the face of it. But the memories caught that we didn't capture ourselves and the Christmas pictures we'll never have again -- I guess for us, that made it priceless.

Oh, and I do agree that pictures in a studio are usually far better, and less expensive... but for us, there is something about the carefree nature of the Disney shots... everyone's hair is messed up and they're grinning from ear to ear... loved the ones of my girls holding Simba... (yes, they suckered me in with those... I realize completely it was a bait & switch... )

So, call me sappy -- and a spendthrift, maybe -- but I'm still glad I got it... and I'm even happier I pre-bought one for our next trip!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going on a trip with other members of your family or friends, you can all spilt the cost of the CD. Makes it much more affortable that way.
    Sept 2005 - All Star Movies
    Sept 2006 - Pop Century!
    Sept 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    Sept 2008 - All Star Sports
    Dec 2008 - All Star Music
    Aug 2009 - Coronado Springs
    Dec 2009 - All Star Music
    Aug 2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wdwnomad View Post
    If you are going on a trip with other members of your family or friends, you can all spilt the cost of the CD. Makes it much more affortable that way.
    Good point ... our next trip we're going to have a party of 17 so that would definitely make it more cost effective.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dsnygirl View Post
    I totally agree with the fact that $129, and even $149, for a Photopass CD is ridiculous. It's highway robbery, Disney-style.
    But, I also confess to having bought one.

-- but I'm still glad I got it... and I'm even happier I pre-bought one for our next trip!!
    I agree. It's expensive, but I'm glad I got it. Especially because ds6 was chosen for Jedi Training and we got 19 pictures from that alone (ante-borders.) I also really like the water park shots. Sometimes when the photographers aren't busy they will spend a lot of time with you and add special touches.
    2001 ASMo, 2003 Royal Pacific and Poly, 2004 Beach Club, 2005 Cabins at FW, 2007 Poly, 2008 Poly and Hard Rock, 2009 Portofino and Poly, 2014 Royal Pacific and Kidani

Post Thanks / Like

Default photopass cd

We just got back from a trip to WDW and purchased the CD. We were told that the price would be increasing soon. We always purchase the CD but utilize the service to our advantage. This year we had 384 pics on our cards resulting in having to burn two CDs (still same price). In 2007 we had 500+pics. This year we had family pics in all the parks, pics with characters (esp Star Wars Weekends), and in the water parks. The pics are great and it's nice to know you have them if something happens to your own camera. I would suggest preordeing the CD and then having your photopass card handy to get the most out of your money. There were only 4 of us so larger families could have even more pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Just pre-ordered and used the code. $85 is a heck of a lot better than $149! We'll be a party of 9 this year, so I think we'll get our money's worth. I always upload my pics to winkflash, they often run a 6 cent per print special.
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, with the $85 offer I went ahead and ordered. We're a party of 8 this time with extended family along and it will be nice to have the pictures. We did the CD one other time when we took DS for his 1st trip on his 1st birthday. We knew we wanted to take a ton of pictures and it even got us a discount on the private photo sessions at the resorts. Yeah, I could have taken my own pictures, but instead DH and I got to experience every character interaction with our son and nobody had to be stuck behind the lens. I certainly don't shell out the money for CD on every trip, but for special occasions I do feel it's worth it. This time we have more than one family so I'm sure we'll more than get our money's worth.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

While I am not new to going to Disney, I am TOTALLY new to the photopass CD so I apologize in advance for all of the questions .

Is it sort of like when we are in the parks and a CM takes our picture (posed) and hands us a card? Will we instead hand the CM something stating we have a CD?

How do they get the candid shots? I'm sure this isn't how it's done but do we seek someone out and tell them to follow us around to take candid shots?

We will be doing a family shoot at the Polynesian this year so do those go on the CD?

We will be traveling with my brother in law and his family so could we share the CD even if we aren't together 24/7 during the trip?

Thanks for your help. I'm certain I'll come up with more question but this will help me start learning!

Tracy
    77-85:Day Trips at Easter
    88:Fort Wilderness
    91:Swan(Honeymoon)
    99:Wilderness Lodge
    00:Caribbean Beach
    02:POR
    03:Coronado Springs/Polynesian
    04:POR/Polynesian
    06:POR
    07:POR
    08:POR
    09:Polynesian

12:POR
    14:POR

Post Thanks / Like

I will answer your questions under each one:

Quote Originally Posted by We LOVE Disney View Post
    Hi

While I am not new to going to Disney, I am TOTALLY new to the photopass CD so I apologize in advance for all of the questions .

Is it sort of like when we are in the parks and a CM takes our picture (posed) and hands us a card? Will we instead hand the CM something stating we have a CD?

When you see a PhotoPass photographer for the first time just tell them you need a card. After taking your picture they will scan a card then give it to you. Next time you get your picure taken just give the photographer your card and after taking the pic they will scan it and give it back to you.

How do they get the candid shots? I'm sure this isn't how it's done but do we seek someone out and tell them to follow us around to take candid shots?

PhotoPass photographers are stationed at pretty much all of the landmark sites in the parks (all along Main Street, in front of Spaceship Earth, etc). Just get in line for the picture you want and they will take it. Photographers are also with a lot of the characters. You will also find them in some random places taking pictures. They won't follow you around but there are alot of them around. Some ask you to pose like in front of the Tower of Terror the photographer might take a standard shot then ask you to look frightened. The only ride where you can add your picture to the Photopass card is Test Track.

We will be doing a family shoot at the Polynesian this year so do those go on the CD?

I am pretty sure they will go on the CD. Just let them know when you are checking in.

We will be traveling with my brother in law and his family so could we share the CD even if we aren't together 24/7 during the trip?

Sure you can. When you brother in law's family goes off on their own they can get their own card. You can use multiple cards for one CD. In fact, I always end up with more than one card during a trip. Sometimes I forget to give the guy the card and before I know it he hands me a new one. Not a big deal. Just remember when returning home to add his card to your account since you would have purchased the CD. Although you can have multiple cards per CD you can't have cards tied to multiple accounts.

Thanks for your help. I'm certain I'll come up with more question but this will help me start learning!

Tracy
    It is a really good system they have. A couple of other tips I have found are first and foremost either write down your Photopass card #'s or better yet take a picture of the card. If you lose the card you will still have the numbers which you will need to retrive your photos. If you forget to do this don't worry go to one of the Photopass booths and ask to see if they can find your pictures. They will ask you where you were, what time of day, etc. If you can answer those questions there is a really good chance they can find the pictures. They did it for once for me. When they do that they will find the card number and transfer them to a new card for you. Another tip, is ask if they do any magic shots. Some photographers can take a picture of you and have your hands open. When you see your pictures Tinkerbell will be in your open hands. There are a bunch of other ones like holding balloons, cradling Simba, sword fighting with Captain Hook.
    Sept 2005 - All Star Movies
    Sept 2006 - Pop Century!
    Sept 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    Sept 2008 - All Star Sports
    Dec 2008 - All Star Music
    Aug 2009 - Coronado Springs
    Dec 2009 - All Star Music
    Aug 2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

We used it for the first time last summer. I loved the shots! We also put our Chef Mickey and CRT pictures on the disk. My husband was picked for HDD and that picture was on there too! I print through Kodak Gallery - I printed many more pictures than I would have bought and have great memories to look at in our scrapbook. We are definitely pre-ordering for this year!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it."

Post Thanks / Like

Default family & friends CD

It's also a good value if you can get other family or friends to go in with you. Everyone gets their own photopass card and snaps away. When you get home upload all the serial numbers to one designated account. There are no limits on number of pics and with the username and password everyone can go in and edit their pics before the final order is placed. CDs are made for the participants upon delivery and wah - lah you've got some beautiful pics to mix in with the snaps you take on your own. Cool and economical! lb
    mikelynn91

"Don't cry because it's over ~ smile because it happened!" Dr. Seuss

Fort Wilderness 2003
    All Stars Movies 2005
    All Stars Music 2006

Pop Century 2007

Port Orleans Riverside 2008
    All Star Movies 2009

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: