Quantcast Any thoughts, AKL v WL v Poly?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any thoughts, AKL v WL v Poly?

DH and I are planning a trip, w/ DD (will be 14 months) for October. We want to do MNSSHP. We are currently debating staying at AKL or Poly. I keep throwing in WL because I've always wanted to stay there. We have AP's and are FL residents so we have been picking one or two parks to spend our time in and alternating depending on the trip. I think the plan is to go to MK (or course) and AK.

I stayed at Poly a couple times when I was younger, I remember really liking the hotel, but don't know what we want to do for this next trip. And of course staying on the monorail is always a plus.

I'd love to hear what people think...

Thanks!
    Erica

'83, '86 - CR
    '89 - GF
    '94, '98 - Poly
    '00, 3/09 - Off site
    '01 - ASM
    '02 - Swan
    5/09 - POR
    10/09 - AKL
    12/09 - GF
    Next trip???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Since you have always wanted to stay at Wilderness Lodge (and know that you can come back to stay at the other resorts in the future), why not try it (WL) out? I love all the resorts you are considering, but Wilderness Lodge is one of my favorites. The ambience is so relaxed and the theming from the lobby to the courtyard and pool area is sublime. And as an added plus you have the boat transportation to the Magic Kingdom. Not as fast as the monorail, but a lot more picturesque.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah my initial reaction to your post was what MNNHFLTX said. Go with what you initially wanted so you can at least try it and see what you think. I would go visit the AKL and the Polynesian for dinner and walk around the resort to get a feel if you like it. You sometimes can even ask to see inside an unoccupied room. The best way to find out about the resorts is to see for yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at these resorts on our last three trips!

The Polynesian is our overall favorite resort; we have stayed there many times and will keep going back. You really can't beat its transportation options. We love the Poly's lush, tropical theming and romantic beach. And our favorite restaurants are at the monorail resorts.

However, we were really surprised at how much we loved the serene, relaxed atmosphere at WL, as well as its boat transportation to the MK. WL is significantly less expensive than the monorail resorts, but the WL-CR boat launch provides pretty easy access to them. We definitely will return.

AKL is absolutely gorgeous and so unique, and Jiko is fantastic. Overall, the resort was a little more isolated than we prefer for a WDW vacation, though.

Whatever you decide, have a great time!
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Post Thanks / Like

POLY POLY POLY! The benefits are many....monorail, walk to TTC, beautiful atmosphere, easy park hopping, great dining choices, and did I mention atmosphere?? Ha ha! PM me for any questions as I consider the Poly my second home!
    1990 & 91 - Off Property
    1992 - Contemporary
    1993 thru 96 - Poly
    2002 & 03 - Poly
    2006 - Poly
    2009 - Pop Century & Grand Floridian

2014 - Beach Club for my daughter's first trip!!

Post Thanks / Like

We have done all three as well. Each are excellent choices for their own reasons.

Poly - sentimental to me since we stayed there for our honeymoon. I probably would not stay there unless I had a Castle view, but that makes the monorail farther away. It is just so beautiful and tropical.

WL - Love the atmosphere. You can either take the boat or the bus to MK. Love Artists Pointe.

AK - This is probably my favorite as long as you have a car with you. The decor is amazing and I am a total animal lover (in particular Giraffe), so I just can't get enough of watching them. I love it so much, we bought one of our DVC ownerships at AK.

You can't go wrong with any of your picks. It is so much fun to plan - enjoy
    Cheloconnell :)

DVC Member Since 2008: BLT, GF, AK, OKW, HH

Post Thanks / Like

I have not been to Poly yet..will be going in Aug...but it seems like it is hard for people to stay in other places after they have done Poly. With that being said i would absolutely vote for WL - we loved it there. I also think that with a 14 mo old the WL would be much more convenient than AKL b/c of it's close proximity to the MK and easier transportation

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say go with WL over Poly,
    I've stayed at both and contrary to poplular opinion I'd didn't really like the Poly. It had some good points, monorail beach etc but I felt better catered to in WL. going backa gain in Sep
    Lifes a witch and then you fly

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention that since you are a Floridian, you might appreciate the Pacific Northwest theming of the Wilderness Lodge over the tropical theming of the Polynesian. I know when we lived in Florida it was nice to "escape" to a resort that was different in landscaping and architecture than what we were used to.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

AKL is our favorite. They have there OWN buses and you can be at Animal Kingdom PARK in less then 4 minutes by there bus.
    We have ALWAYS had a seat on the bus no matter when we go and MK supposedly takes 20 minutes to get to, but it doesnt feel long at all.
    Our kids love the animals at the park as well as the pool. I'd pick it!!
    Disney

Post Thanks / Like

The Poly will always be our favorite. We haven't stayed at AKL but, we stayed in WL on a trip with our friends and they stayed at AKL...so...we got to enjoy both. Really, they are all great, so you can't go wrong. That being said...if you've always wanted to stay at WL, why not? It's beautiful and convenient and so filled with style. You'll love it! (we did). It really has a charm all it's own. Just ask my husband...after we stayed there, I was on a "We have to buy a cabin in the woods" kick ( I still want one, but that's a story for another time). We're trying to experience as many resorts as possible but I know we'll stay at WL again someday...
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

We've also stayed at all three, and I think ultimately I still think the WL is the best pick. I love both the WL and AKL for different reasons, but the location on the lake and the boat launch to the MK probably puts the WL ahead for me.

I loved the Poly as well when we stayed there, with the large rooms and the monorail access making it especially nice. However, I still don't think those things justify the very high cost of staying there.
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

AKL has best atmosphere b/c of the animals and lobby. Transportation was frequently slow. Also I love the restaurants.

WL has best transport. A quick boat ride to MK. And good atmosphere. Food is pretty good.

Poly has unique atmosphere but feels old. Also the monorail is fun but can take a while because it stops at the other hotels first.

WL is the most affordable and closest to MK- so that's probably my pick but it depends on whats important to you.

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts are no matter where you stay out of those 3 resorts, you are in for a treat! We've stayed at all 3 and are by far the top 3 resorts on WDW property! You can't go wrong!
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Tough choice!

We've stayed at all three and really you can't go wrong.

I would say with a 14 month staying closer to might be better.

Having the monorail when we stayed at GF when DS was 9 months was GREAT! You don't have to fold the stroller on the monorail! We never had a problem with frequency of monorails. Occasionally, once when we stayed at GF and once in route from TTC to Epcot there have been delays on the system causing us to sit for 5 -10 minutes but that's a great average.

WL is wonderful and just feels magical and happy!! It's our favorite place in the world! It's truely a family place and soooo beautiful! I'd stay there anytime!!

Poly is absolutely beautiful and just has relaxing, serene feel to it. I didn't think it seemed old at all. We stayed in the tahiti building, MK view to celebrate our anniversary, and the room was beautiful and HUGE. It was much bigger then our rooms at AKL, WL or GF. The only draw back to that was tahiti was the furthest from the Grand Ceremonial House and a very long walk. But TTC was a very short walk from our room and very convienent!!

Now matter what I think you'll be happy and have a wonderful trip!
    Melissa

4/87 offsite, 3/05 AKL, 10/06 WL, 3/08 GF, 1/09 WL, 3/09 Poly, 10/09 SSR, 1/10 AKV, 10/10 BLT, 12/10 AKV, 2/11 Poly, 5/11 BCV, 10/11 BLT, 12/11 WL, 5/12 1st Cruise on the Dream & BWV, 10/12 BLT!

"...That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

If you were going in the summer I would say Poly, because it tropical.
    But, WL would be great in the fall. You do not have the monorail, but you have the boat to MK and Contemp, where you can hop on the monorail.

Both, restraurants at WL are great, the Artist Point is a great adult restaurant, but we had one of our best dining experience with our kids there. Our server, Gary, was so accomdating to the boys, he made it fun.

We stayed at both, Poly in Aug and WL in Dec. I have been to AKL for dinner, but I hear it kind of out of the way.

If you are a big MK family, then maybe the Poly, but I am sure whatever you decided your family will have a ball!!
    Arlene<br />Jackson, New Jersey<br />1980 Day Trip<br />1986 Off site<br />1996 All Star Music<br />2003 Polynesian<br/>2006 WL, All Star Sports 2008, DCL - Magic 2010, DVC - 2010, Future - WDW - BLT 2011 and DCL/Dream 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Default planning for the future

I don't think you will see an overall winner trying to pick a resort for just this stay. However, I infer from your post that you are likely to plan a future stay at WDW after this stay. I will hazard a guess that since you are planning to visit MK and AK on this trip, you will go for Epcot and the Studios next trip.

Once you pick a resort for Oct. you will have two remaining top picks for your next trip. So, which resorts would be best/worse for visits to EP and the Studios?

Well, you could switch to BW, YC, or BC, but I'm guessing you are not so interested in them. AKL would be the next closest deluxe, I think, in driving time. Or, the Poly would be good for monorail access to Epcot. Of the three, I would say WL would be the lowest choice purely based on location and transportation options.

So, go with the WL for this trip and then keep the Poly and AKL to chose between for next time.

I hope this makes sense. But no matter what choice you make, I hope you enjoy your trip!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: