Quantcast Illuminations or Wishes?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Illuminations or Wishes?

We have young children and want to get them to bed early most nights on our vacation. We wanted to "stay up late" one night to see fireworks. Which is better....MK Wishes or Epcot's Illuminations? (we saw Fantasmic last time we were there....it really frightened my son, who was three at the time, so we didn't want to bring our DD2 to it this time).

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say Wishes just because it is my favorite. If you have small children they will really like Tinkerbell "flying across the night sky." Good luck!
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

This is a tough one!

Illuminations is probably the better fireworks show, but I personally LOVE Wishes. There is just something about fireworks over the castle that is really neat. Wishes makes me cry everytime too!

I would take the kids to see Wishes, they aren't old enough to "get the message" in Illuminations, and they will love seeing fireworks in MK.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt in my mind that Wishes is the best! There is NOTHING as magical as standing in the middle of Main Street U.S.A. and watching fireworks over Cinderella castle! It just doesn't get any better!
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

With small children I would definitely choose Spectromagic and Wishes!!
    Mary Ellen

WDW

Oct1992 OKW
    Sept2007 OKW
    Sept17-23 2008 OKW
    Sept15-22 2009 OKW
    Jan13-17 2010 POP, OKW
    Sept16-25 2010 OKW
    Jan16-19 2011 SSR
    Jan13-19 2013 OKW
    Jan20-26 2014 SSR
    Dec05-16 2014 SSR
    Sept12-18 2015 SSR
    June7-12 2016 OKW
    Upcoming
    Sept8-13 2016 OKW
    Jan2017

Post Thanks / Like

Wishes, hands down. I love Illuminations, but after seeing it for many years, I like the freshness of Wishes.

Post Thanks / Like

WISHES! My kids love it, they have loved it since they were small. Watching it over the castle is the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Normally I would say Illuminations, but since your other child got a bit frightened at Fantasmic, I don't think that your little one would enjoy the close proximity of the Illuminations fireworks nor the huge fireballs - although, I think that they are too cool!

Wishes would be your best bet. I would recommend watching from the walkway from the hub (where the statue of Walt and Mickey is at) going into Tomorrowland. This location will give your young ones the best spot to view Tinkerbell from!

Have fun!
    It is my dream to one day pilot the monorails around the Seven Seas Lagoon....where's my star!!!

Post Thanks / Like

i would have to say illuminations for me but definitly wishes for kids. i love the fire but that might be frightning for small children. also the special wishes show that they have during mickey's very merry christmas party is really neat to if you ever get the chance to check that out.
    Keep telling yourself that, darling.

'91 Cont.
    '98 AS Music
    '01 Off site
    '03 AS Music
    '04 AS Sports
    '07 Carr. Beach

'09 Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Last Real Pirate. Illuminations is my favorite, but for a child I would say Wishes is better for them. You may have to find something to entertain them if you find a good seat early and want to keep it.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Post Thanks / Like

gotta love illuminations, but if your only choosing one and taking kids, its wishes all the way. everything about it is disney at its greatest. while illuminations is amazing, it doesnt have the kid-friendly story wishes holds
    1991 - Fairway Villas, 1993 - Old Key West, 1995 - Yacht Club, 1997 - Fort Wilderness, 2003 - Fort Wilderness, 2004 - Contemporary, 2005 - Caribbean, 2007 - Polynesian, 2012 - Disneyland Paris, 2014 - Beach Club, 2015 - Beach Club
    2016 - Contemporary
    Lisa

Post Thanks / Like

Wishes....Wishes....Wishes

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Illuminations is awesome, but can get a little boring for kids at times. You should see wishes on a night when spectromagic is going on too. Spectro is my all time fav nightine show at Disney. Definately a good show for kids of all ages!
    1990-Polynesian, 1998-All-Star Music, 2002-Off Property , 2003-All Star Music, 2007- Pop Century (twice) , 2008-Old Key West, 2008-Off Property, 2009-POFQ,2010-off property, 2011 - POFQ
    Next Up . . . . November 23-30, 2013- Off Property at the Star Island Resort.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all....wishes it will be!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfun View Post
    Normally I would say Illuminations, but since your other child got a bit frightened at Fantasmic, I don't think that your little one would enjoy the close proximity of the Illuminations fireworks nor the huge fireballs - although, I think that they are too cool!

Wishes would be your best bet. I would recommend watching from the walkway from the hub (where the statue of Walt and Mickey is at) going into Tomorrowland. This location will give your young ones the best spot to view Tinkerbell from!

Have fun!
    I have to agree with this one. My kids loved seeing Tinkerbell.
    1965*, 1972, 1980, 1986, 1992, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004 Disneyland ** Aug 2009 25th Wedding Anniversary, 2010 (June), 2012

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one

Post Thanks / Like

Wishes. Never got into Illuminations. never even saw it last trip and we stayed right next to it.

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Only about twenty-five miles away from the most magical place on Earth
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Soccermom12 View Post
    We have young children and want to get them to bed early most nights on our vacation. We wanted to "stay up late" one night to see fireworks. Which is better....MK Wishes or Epcot's Illuminations? (we saw Fantasmic last time we were there....it really frightened my son, who was three at the time, so we didn't want to bring our DD2 to it this time).
    Illuminations most definitely! Your kids won't have to be ducking everyone around the castle just to try to see the fireworks/tinkerbell. Around the lagoon, there is lots of room so it's pretty difficult to get a bad spot.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with everyone else, Illuminations, IMO, is the best show but you have to see the whole " save the earth, world peace" story to it to really be WOWED by it !!
    16 trips to "The World"

Last trip - April 2018 - Polynesian
    Next trip to WDW - December 2018 - Beach club

"Disneyworld will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there's imagination left in the world."

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say Wishes. I think it's cool how the castle changes during the fireworks.

Post Thanks / Like

Both of my DSs really enjoyed Illuminations, whereas the crowds during Wishes bugged them. Illuminations was great for the lasers, and the music ... by the second time he saw it, my older son (5 at the time) was choreographic the whole show. It was fun !

Either way, you can't go wrong.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: