Quantcast Video Cameras in the parks

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Video Cameras in the parks

I'm trying to decide whether to bring our video camera with us on our trip or leave it at home, per usual! We've recently discovered that we've been terribly amiss in video taping our children's lives and I thought, "What better place to use it than at WDW!" But then I thought, "What would I video? Yuck, lug a camera around in 90 degree heat? etc., etc. "

I'm not going to be the type to tape the parade. I want OUR kids on film. So.....

what do you document? Is it a pain to lug around? (ours is very compact so I suppose "lug" is a strong word but it IS something extra to carry) Did you ever go and wish you had left it back at the room? Did you ever go and wish you had brought it with you?

Help!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We're wrestling with the same dilemma right now. Last trip we brought the camera, but never used it and ended up leaving in in the room most days. Our camcorder is seriously underused and we'd like to start taping more. I'm thinking we'll bring it for some of the character interactions next trip.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Video or not to video that is the question?

It depends if your a seasoned visitor to WDW. In 2005 we visited with relatives and I took 5 (FIVE) hours of video over two weeks. Which I then edited down to 3x 1 hour DVDs consisting of a 1 hour summary and the various shows and parades.

However, last time (2008) we took hardly any video only taking the animals around AK/AKL and what had changed in the parks
    Soarin' to Tower

Next Trips: 2017 The other half has allowed me back!
    Offsite 1998, 2004, 2015 (Universal)
    AKL 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2013
    Beach Club 2008
    Yacht Club 2010, 2011, 2012
    DLR California 2004, 2014
    DLR Paris 2006, 2008, 2010
    DLR HK 2013

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a compact one then I say take it. You film what you want and afterwards you can erase what you don't want.

I have taken a video camera twice and love watching the videos.
    [/COLOR]1993 Caribbean Beach SENIOR WEEK
    1998 1 Day Visit Magic Kingdom and MGM
    2002 Caribbean Beach HONEYMOON
    2003 Coronado Springs
    2006 Port Orleans French Quarters
    2007 POP Century
    2011 POP Century for 9 days

2013 Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

OK, as an 'older' member of the Intercot world and Disney World experience, I'm going to make a sincere and direct recommendation. TAKE THE CAMERA AND USE IT - at least some of the time. Our kids are older now, and I absolutely positively wish I would have taken more videos and stills as they were growing up. I always had the excuse it was inconvenient, which it often is. But find a compromise, if at all possible. Perhaps you take the camera every other day, or take the camera with you in the morning, or take the camera to the pool. There is no need to have it running every minute. But the cameras are pretty easy to use and none of them are that big these days. By the way, I agree with your desire to take video of the kids - minimize the shots of the parks and the animals and the crowds and the fireworks - but get the photos of your kids being kids at Disney. 10 years from now, you will be very glad you did.

OK, I'm off my box now....! Have a great trip.

Post Thanks / Like

our last 2 trips we took HOURS of video. My daughter has been obssesively watching these trips in anticipation of our upcoming trip (soon!) We recorded all the shows and parades because they love watching WDW! This trip is the first with the new hard-disc camcorder (no tapes) so I hope it works out!

Bring it, after a day or so if you get tired of carrying it, you can leave it in the room, but if you don't bring it you can't change your mind!

August 2011 POLY!
    June 2009 PORFQ
    Dec 2006 offsite
    June 2003 POLY
    Nov 1999 offsite
    Sept 1994 daytrip to DL
    Dec 1993 daytrip to EPCOT
    Aug 1989 first trip w/family offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

On one of our early trips to WDW, in the days before 8mm and hard disk cameras, I lugged a huge video recorder (the old kind that used a full-sized VHS tape) and taped everything in sight. After about the third day, I realized that I was only seeing and experiencing WDW through a 1.5" viewfinder, my left eye was sore from squinting it closed while taping, my shoulder and elbow ached, and I was generally miserable. The camera remained in the trailer after that day.

Things improved greatly with the advent of 8mm camcorders, and nowadays I tote a hard disk version that's not much larger than a pack of cigarettes.

Bottom line? Yes, take the camera, get some great footage of the kids, but don't let yourself become a slave to the camera!
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

I think Ed said it best, take a small camera to snap a few quick vids of the kids but keep it to a minimum. Let your eyes take it all in including watching your kids reactions to the sights and sounds of Disney. You miss so much if you are just looking into a viewfinder your whole trip. If you want to see the rides again just jump onto Utube... or better yet, take another trip to Disney!! Enjoy!
    July 1991 Caribbean Beach
    October 2003 Port Orleans Riverside
    July 2005 Port Orleans Riverside
    May 2006 Port Orleans Riverside

May 2007 Offsite
    October 2007 Polynesian!!!
    POR November '10
    Beach Club 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I've been taking a video camera with me for years. Do I always take lots of film. Nope! Am I glad I have it when I want to film something? Yup!

Way back when - we took our first giant sized VHS video camera back when you had to fling half of the VHS system over your shoulder as well as a camera of the size worthy of a news crew. Needless to say, this equipment did not come with us on a daily basis. However, back then, video equipment was rare and it was enough to take it one or two days for specific filming purposes. We actually have some nice video from way back when!

Our next camera was more manageable but still took full size VHS film and yes, I did lug it to the park and, in retrospect am glad I did.

Since there, cameras have gotten much smaller and easier to carry. I have lots of film that is spur of the moment. The trick is not to film every minute of a parade or an event. You can do much by filming in increments. Twenty seconds of the parade interspersed with viewing the parade along with another quick filming. Your mind will fill in the unfilmed memories when you watch!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I always take several hours of video.... we usually take a midday break, so I dont carry it all the time. I love watching the video's... although not as often as I would llike, but I am sure 20 years from now, I will treasure them even more.
    MK 1980 FOUR hours(July & 105) * Nov 04 POLY.. with my 2 princesses *Nov 05 Contemporary *Nov 06 split stay Cont/POFQ , making memories with my 21 yr old neice who has cancer. Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007 :(
    Nov 07 WL *Nov 08 VWL *Nov 09 Bay Lake Tower WDW/DC/SW/DCL*April 2011 B2B Disney Dream

Post Thanks / Like

We take the kids 10, 7, 4 love to watch the video a year later. And if your going back you can see what you want top see or not to see.
    It will be enjoyed later in life .
    "Wheres my super suit! "

Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

Bronson

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I am fortunate that my digital camera does video as well & I am so glad I had it on our last trip I got some great footage of my kids interacting with Pippa in AK. So where you said your camera was small I would say definately bring it you never know when an opportunity will present itself.
    Two Tiny Wings,
    Eyes BIG and Yellow,Horns of a Steer,
    But a lovable Fellow! From Head to Tail,
    He's a Royal Purple Pigment And then Voila!
    You got a Figment
    The Dreamfinder

Dixie Landings-1997
    ASMo-2001
    All Star Sports-2008
    ASMu Family Suites-2009
    Beach Club-2011
    ASMo 2013

Post Thanks / Like

My husband got a great deal on a Flip video camera before our trip last week. It doesn't hold a lot of footage (45-60 minutes, I think), but we dumped the videos onto the laptop every night, edited them and then uploaded to a private YouTube account so the grandparents could see what we were doing. We got mostly kids' reactions to rides (our 2 younger kids ride new rides every time because they keep growing tall enough to ride new things). We also videoed some of our dining experiences, funny things the kids said, ride footage, interaction with characters, etc. The software that came with the camera has a neat editing feature that lets you compile the bits of video into one long "movie". The kids loved watching the movies every night after hubby would put them together. I think you can also make digital still shots from the video you shoot, but I haven't tried that yet.

The Flip video was about as big as a compact digital camera, so it fit in hubby's pocket very easily. I highly recommend it!
    Last edited by ChipnDaleGal; 05-19-2009 at 09:05 AM. Reason: link to another web site
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

I took mine on a family trip for 5 days. I only got about 30 good minutes of video of the family. However, I would not give up those 30 minutes for anything. Watching my DD and my DN play together for a good part of the video is priceless. They were 3 and 1.5 years old. Memories we would soon forget if it had not been for the video.

I lug around the video camera, DSLR, and two lenses in a backpack. I can carry snacks and other items in the back pack as well. It is not too much of a burden.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Take the camera.If you leave it home you will be sorry.
    We have done videos since our first unit,(1987)a dinosaur by todays standards,and as big as a volkswagon.
    When not in use it was hanging on my nieces stroller so carrying it was not too much of a chore.
    The memories stored are precious and we do view them often,and we shot everything from parades, shows, attractions, oh yeah and us too.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

My husband and I take the video camera and switch with each other every other day. It has worked on our last trip. I love watching my videos from Disney and all the other wonderful trips we have taken together. To they are priceless. I even make an extra copy and store them elsewhere so heaven forbid something happens to them I have an extra copy. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We always take our video camera with us, but we don't take it to the parks every day. We typically reserve like 2 or 3 days out of a trip as "video days" and try to shoot as much as we can on those days.

Normally, we'll pick days where we have good character meals planned and things like that. Stuff that we know will give us good video.

In a week's trip, I'll normally shoot anywhere from like 3 to 4 hours worth of video. Once I get home, I typically cut it up, set it to music, and make a nice video summary of our trip.

It's a fun way for Dad to review the videos of his kids, pick out a good song that captures the spirit of the movies, and help preserve our memories.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have been working in television for 28 years, so folks naturally assume that I have tons of home video. Actually, I don't, but what I do have is precious. I have some advice, based on what I do.

1) We park-hop every day, so we are at two different parks every day. Thus, no matter the length of our trip, we will be visiting each park at least twice. I take my video camera with me on ONE visit to each park. The other days, it is left in the camera bag, and I am free to do whatever I want.

2) We rent a locker every day and put the SLR and the video camera in the locker. We carry our small "point-and-shoot" digital for those moments that we just don't want to miss. When we change parks, we change lockers (at no additional cost... you only pay once per day). If I really feel like I want the camera, then I can get it out of the locker. If I don't, then I don't. But I have that option.

3) I only shoot 5 to 10 seconds at a time of video. If you watch TV commercials, the news, etc., you'll notice that no shots last longer than 10 seconds. So, I might get 4 shots of my kids on Big Thunder, but those three shots last less than 40 seconds.

4) No matter the length of our trip, I've never shot more than 20 minutes total of video. Brevity and quality are the key.

5) Here's an example of what I'm talking about, using Big Thunder Mountain Railroad: An establishing shot to show where you are (5 seconds of the Big Thunder sign and queue), perhaps an anticipation shot (5 seconds of the kids waiting in line or boarding the train), an action shot (10-15 seconds of the train shooting around a turn with the kids on it), and finish with a concluding shot (5 seconds of the kids coming off the ride and down the path with smiles on their faces!). If you start the next sequence with another establishing shot, you don't need to edit.

6) Combined with the photos we have, our videos are short, interesting, and precious to our family.

In conclusion, you should DEFINITELY take your video camera with you. But don't feel like you are a slave to it. Designate some time where you will carry it. Use it during that time and get the shots you feel you need. After that, put it in the locker and enjoy yourself. Then, you get the best of both worlds.

April, 1998 Coronado Springs
    April, 2001 Coronado Springs
    January, 2004 All-Star Sports
    July, 2005 Caribbean Beach Resort
    April, 2006 Pop Century
    December, 2006 All-Star Sports
    March, 2008 All-Star Movies
    April, 2009 All-Star Music
    August, 2010 Disney's Swan Resort

Post Thanks / Like

After this post, I have an urge to buy a new video camera. My 8MM is dead. My digital camera does video but only for very short increments that really eat the battery and memory. Any recommendations? I want something compact and easy to use.
    BLT Owners as of 11/09!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Thanks to all of you for your great advice and encouragement! I'm charging up the camera as I type! And thank you, WVParkfan, for the great pointers and tips! You all are the greatest!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: