Quantcast Is this line jumping? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Personally, I think it's not line jumping and it's totally fine.

If someone is in front of me in a line, I don't care if it's the Dad or the kid who gets their picture taken. My expectation is that that person is in front of me. Now if they drag 10 kids in and they all take turns, that's a different story.

One kid, though? No. No problem.

This is the way I define line jumping ... if anyone behind me is going to have to wait longer than what they would have normally because of my actions, then I've cut the line. In this case, no one will so it's fine.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It actually is impacting others.

For example:

Line A (Mickey Mouse) - Wait Time 45 minutes
    Line B (Pooh) - Wait Time 30 minutes

Scenario A
    2:00pm - Mom and child get into Line B
    2:00pm - Dad gets into Line A

2:30pm child and mom meet Pooh.
    2:45pm child, mom and dad meet Mickey.

2:46 - Child, mom and dad all head over to Dinosaur for a ride (wait time 60 minutes)

Scenario B
    2:00pm - Mom, dad, and child get into Line B
    2:30pm - Mom, dad and child meet Pooh
    2:31pm - Mom, dad and child get into Line A
    3:16pm - Mom, dad and child meet Mickey

3:17pm Child, mom and dad all head over to Dinosaur for a ride (wait time 90 minutes because the parade is over)

So, yes these do impact other people. Granted, Dad didn't see Pooh, but who cares about Pooh anyway. Mom and child saw two things in the time it takes others to see one. Also, the wait time on Line A is longer with you in that line than without you in it holding a spot for poeple who are doing something else.

It's not like fastpass since you generally can't hold two at the same time (yes I know, but there are limits on when you can with the 2 hour wait, etc). But others are impacted by this.

In the grand scheme of things, not a huge deal, and the Disney cops won't press charges, but there is an impact.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

So, if you bring enough of a posse with you, enough for someone to wait in each line, then your child could do all the pictures in just a couple of minutes.

I don't think I would be comfortable doing it. And I wouldn't be thrilled if someone did it in front of me. But that's just me
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

One person trading out for one person, not a big deal.(That is if Mom & Dad aren't going up too)
    Dad holding a spot for wife, 2 daughters and a son._ BIG DEAL! I've seen this several times and really the only time it bothers me is if I am in line with my kids. I don't agree that your kids are better than mine and should be able to "line wander".
    Here you leave Today and enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy

Next Trip-February 5th-16th! Happy V-day to me!

Post Thanks / Like

I do not consider this line jumping, nor do I think it is rude. I think it is good time management.

If this offends people then I am guilty of doing this exact thing 15 years ago. Kids and I got on teacups and DW, who can't handle the spinning, took a couple of pictures and then got into line for dumbo. When the kids were finished riding the teacups they joined their mother in a short line for Dumbo. I'm afraid of flying elephants, but I did take a few pictures while they rode.

If I offended anyone by doing this then I am sorry you were offended, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
    1965*, 1972, 1980, 1986, 1992, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004 Disneyland ** Aug 2009 25th Wedding Anniversary, 2010 (June), 2012

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one

Post Thanks / Like

But what if your dad gets so excited waiting in line, that by the time he gets up there for your turn....he acts like he doesn't know you and greets the character for himself?
    Pimpin aint dead.... its just renamed.... Frozen.

Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    but who cares about Pooh anyway.

Other than that you make a good point. I'm undecided on all of this if I'm honest. In terms of bathroom breaks with young children you don't normally have much of a choice. A young child can go from not needing to go at all to being not able to hold on much longer in under a minute!

In terms of holding places in line it seems wrong if it means people behind are slowed down/held back as a result. With character meets as long as they are taking the one single photo it doesn't matter if just one guy is in it or his whole family in terms of queue time for others. Though as you said if all 3 waited in line for both then this is shorter by comparison.1 person holding a place in line for a dozen other people seems unfair also.
    Disney World Visits:
    1. May-June 1998 (3 weeks)
    2. May-June 2001 (3 weeks)
    3. October-November 2004 (2 weeks)
    4. August-September 2010 (2 weeks)
    5. August-September 2017 (2 weeks)

NOW APPROACHING: 6. May 2021

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

The tortured logic some people are willing to toss out there to justify putting themselves ahead of others never ceases to amaze me.

Sorry...Your time is no more valuable than mine, mine is no more valuable than anyone else's.
    If everybody would just chill instead of constantly looking for an edge at other's expense things would be a lot more relaxing for everyone.

And isn't relaxing and having fun what we are all supposed to be there for???
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

If I was a single parent I would be offended that 2 parent children would have an advantage over my children since 1 parent would have no way of doing this. A single parent's children would have no choice but to wait in both lines for the full time. I am not a single parent but was raised by a single mom and can see how this could offend a single parent.

The bathroom thing I am alittle more forgiving. As long as you are just running to the rest room and coming straight back. In fact, if there was still lots of time to wait, I wouldn't mind holding the place of a stranger that was in front of me if they had to run their child to the bathroom.

Post Thanks / Like

everyone is in a hurry today. Seems like there has always been line jumpers and rude people. Just more so today. I myself have issues with this, and I believe it is line jumping. At the same time however, one can not always control their bladder. Older folk, young children, even those with certain medical conditions. Would that bother me? Not really. I am bothered by those who, and it has happened in front of me before where 1 person is in front of me, and they will call there friends on a cell phone and tell them how close they are to getting on a ride and then out of no where here comes a group of 5 to 10 people with big smiles on their faces, and might even look at me like this is approved behavior and o.k. Alas, I try not to get angry about it, as stated above it is my vacation. Any time there is a line of people and someone enters the line from anywhere but the back, yes it is line breaking. I Do as I would have others do to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    So would it not be okay wait in two different lines at a counter service restaurant to get the faster line?

I would think it would be okay. It's sort of like getting a fastpass.

There's nothing wrong with this because you're ordering the same amount of food either way, the people behind you in the line you decide to use are no worse off because you were going to order the same either way.
    16 trips to "The World"

Last trip - April 2018 - Polynesian
    Next trip to WDW - December 2018 - Beach club

"Disneyworld will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there's imagination left in the world."

Post Thanks / Like

In all of our trips to WDW, I have never "held a place" for a family member in any line.....I have left lines when a child or grandchild needed to go to the bathroom.....but can't count the times I have had people doing it to me. My rule....If I find something irritating, I consider it rude, and therefore, something I would not intentionally do to someone else.

I find that when someone asks if something is ok, they have their doubts.

The OP asked about occupying 2 spaces in two different lines....that is just as rude as being in two different lines for a single ride, as often happened before fast pass (Remember "the line on the right is the longest") . And yes, I did see parties jump back and forth between lines.

The "two lines for CS meals is different"....only one will order. No real gain to the offending party.

Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    In the grand scheme of things, not a huge deal, and the Disney cops won't press charges, but there is an impact.
    Okay ... interesting points. You're right. I didn't really think of that aspect.

You know I'm going to be totally honest ... I still just don't care. I honestly can't get on board with sweating out 30 extra seconds waiting in line. It's just not my thing.

Line holding, place holding, spot holding ... to me it's just not a big deal at all. If it helps some kid see three characters in 30 minutes instead of two then I'm okay with it.

Should it be abused? No. But within reason I just can't see why people get in such a twist over it.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it is, but it is also skipping when anyone holds a spot in line. Period. I dont let people go by. I tell the person holding the spot to get in the back. I dont tolerate it. Line jumpers, holders, etc. are bullies!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't feel it's ok. If you want to see the character, you should wait with everyone else.

As for the bathroom emergency - that's different. If you were ahead of me and your little one has an all of the sudden "I gotta go pee" then I don't see the harm in taking care of the situation and getting your space back (I've held for a stranger before). You were ahead of me before, and by getting back in line I would have waited the same amount.
    There seems to be no sign of intelligent life anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Okay ... interesting points. You're right. I didn't really think of that aspect.

You know I'm going to be totally honest ... I still just don't care. I honestly can't get on board with sweating out 30 extra seconds waiting in line. It's just not my thing.

Line holding, place holding, spot holding ... to me it's just not a big deal at all. If it helps some kid see three characters in 30 minutes instead of two then I'm okay with it.

Should it be abused? No. But within reason I just can't see why people get in such a twist over it.
    The problem is so many people are doing this! I have seen many times not just one person but several doing it. I cannot see how it does not become aggravating.

The point is if one person says it fine, no big deal, don't sweat the small stuff the abuse will only increase. You have just given permission to those who are rude enough to do it. I am afraid it will become a free for all. Being passive is one thing. But, over the years I feel like I have been abused. I would never consider doing it. It seems people just don't care who they hurt or offend so long as they are on top and that is all that matters. Then, you create little monsters who feel the rules don't apply to them.

As they say "patience is a virtue." So please wait your turn.
    Pally

Past Trips

Pop- Dec 2015
    Portofino Bay-(Club)Universal Dec, 2015
    Pop - Oct 2012
    Pop- Aug/Sept 2009
    Wilderness Lodge - Dec. 2006
    Portofino Bay-(Club)-Universal- Dec 2006
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- May 2003
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- April 2002
    Off-site-May 1989-

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with Ian here. Unless one person is holding a spot for several people, not just one child, I just can't be bothered over it because it's not going to make my wait longer.

We stick together, because frankly, splitting up in such a big place stresses me out. I would be far more stressed trying to manage two lines than one, and it's not our choice to do it that way, because we're on vacation and we're not going to worry about it.

And, seriously, if you're miffed because a child had to go potty and are going to insist they start back at the end of the line - that's just mean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LoriR View Post
    When you are waiting for a show to begin, and it doesn't start for over an hour, I don't see why one parent shouldn't wait in the line while the other parent takes the kids somewhere else until closer to the start time. I have always asked cast members if this is okay and they have said yes. (The last time was a 1 1/2 hour wait before the NEMO show at AK.) Why should I punish everyone near me with my whining toddler asking when the show will start when he could go somewhere else and then come back?

As far as kids needing to go to the bathroom, I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with that. If you have been waiting 45 minutes and your child has to go, it seems unfair to expect a small child to understand that then they have to wait another 45 minutes again. It isn't like you "jumped" ahead-- you waited like everyone else did, and someone continued to wait while you went to the bathroom with the kid. And if you are the parent of a very young child, then you know that even when you take them to the bathroom, they don't always think they need to go until they REALLY need to go.
    I absolutely agree with the bathroom issue. I don't think we ever had to do this with our kids, but I have absolutely no issue with this and would not hesitate to do this with a young child (or even an adult for that matter).

Holding a place in line for a show is more of a grey area. I don't think I would do it, but I have no problem with others doing it. I don't like it when people hold a spot in a non-show attraction line. Not sure why I feel differently about the show vs. non-show, I just do.

Post Thanks / Like

If you give Carte Blanche to one group for what you see as a legitimate reason then those with less than legitimate reasons will take advantage.

Did you ever see the Simpson's episode where there was a new exhibit at the museum? Ned Flanders was at the front and he is so nice he let Homer and family cut in line. This enraged and emboldened the others in line to do the same thing. The next thing Ned was at the back of the line.

Yes, extreme example but it proves the point that you let somebody with a legitimate reason to move ahead in line everybody will feel they have the "right" to do the same thing.

Tell me, for those who say some reasons are legitimate, who is to make the determination? You? Me? Joe Schlub over there who just cut ahead of people? When there is a rule like this, it needs to be the same across the line. If you cut in front of people, for whatever reason, you get the punishment described by Disney. And, you make sure this rule is posted on one's ticket, keycard, in the resort rooms, and nice and large before one enters the park.

So, basically, if you know a queue is going to be 45 minutes, you make a bathroom run prior to entering the line. And if you break the rule, for whatever reason, be prepared to pay the consequences.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Pally View Post
    The problem is so many people are doing this! I have seen many times not just one person but several doing it. I cannot see how it does not become aggravating.
    No, I hear ya. I mean I do understand why people get upset with it ... although I have to admit I think some people might get a tad carried away and get a little too militant about it. I mean, if you get cracked up because some poor kid leaves a line to go to the bathroom you might need a Valium or something.

But anyway, I think it's because we go so often that I just don't get worked up about it. I figure that 90% of the people getting in lines in front of me have maybe never ridden the ride before or are visiting for the first time. Me? I've been on the thing probably 100 times at least and I just don't mind waiting an extra minute or two or three.

It's just not something that gets me worked up.

Now people who try to jump in front of you at the last minute for parade viewing? That's a different story!
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: