Quantcast How old is too old for a stroller?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question How old is too old for a stroller?

What is the general consensus for age cutoff for bringing or renting a stroller for kids?

Im afraid DD will get tired from all the walking, and I know I will get sick of carrying everything. But, I don't want to look like a doofus pushing around my 7 year old in a stroller.

Any thoughts?
    Call me Mary...

Trips
    Offsite-Aug.'89
    CSR-Jan.'00
    Offsite-Mar '01
    WL-Dec.'01
    ASMo, Dolphin-Sep.'03
    Poly, POR-Jan.'05
    AKL-Sep-Oct.'05
    Disney Magic-Oct.'07
    WL- Dec. '09
    CBR-Pirate- Dec. '10
    POP Oct. '11

Up next a last minute trip to POR after a very LONG break from WDW! Feb. 2018!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on the child....If you know that she'll get tired and irritable, why push it...Get a stroller. However, my son at the age of 5 would have been tramatized if I had attempted to put him in a stroller! You know your child better than anyone

Post Thanks / Like

It's your child and, as long as what you do isn't infringing upon anyone else's enjoyment then don't worry what they might think. Every child is different so do what will make the vacation most enjoyable for you and your children.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter was comfortable in the stroller until she was over 7. She would walk until she was tired or hot and then she would climb in the stroller and relax. It made many trips more fun for all. If you know how your DD will feel at some point I would go ahead and get the stroller. It is better to be ready for things and let your trip go on happily than worry about what other people think.

Post Thanks / Like

I am all about bringing the stroller!! I will miss it when our DD is too big for it. It carries all our snacks etc. We leave it in whatever area we are touring then load her up and move on to the next area. I don't care what anyone thinks, we have a child who is well rested cuz she hasn't had to try to keep up with us.
    Mary Ellen

WDW

Oct1992 OKW
    Sept2007 OKW
    Sept17-23 2008 OKW
    Sept15-22 2009 OKW
    Jan13-17 2010 POP, OKW
    Sept16-25 2010 OKW
    Jan16-19 2011 SSR
    Jan13-19 2013 OKW
    Jan20-26 2014 SSR
    Dec05-16 2014 SSR
    Sept12-18 2015 SSR
    June7-12 2016 OKW
    Upcoming
    Sept8-13 2016 OKW
    Jan2017

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 36 and wish someone would push me in a stroller.

Post Thanks / Like

We have 2 umbrella type Maclaren strollers. One is for DD 3 and the other is for dS's 6 and 8(will be 9) for next trip. I will tell you that both ds's will take turns in the stroller. My oldest has no problem plopping down in the stroller. He enjoys the relief, and the strollers are nice enough that even though he weighs more he's still easy to push. I agree with everyone else you know your child better than anyone. If anyone looks at you funny it's because they wish they could be pushed in a stroller by someone!
    Disneyland Jun 01'
    ASM Jan 04'
    PC Jan 05'
    PC Jan 07'
    PC Jan 08'
    PC Jan 09'
    POR Sept 09'
    Disneyland July 10'
    POR Sept 11'
    Disneyland July 12'
    POR Nov 13'
    Disneyland 14'
    POR Jan 15'
    POR July 17'
    Disneyland July 17'
    Disneyland Paris Mar 19'
    Disneyland July 19'
    PC Sept 19'

Post Thanks / Like

When your child's butt is too big to fit or too heavy to push around. I've seen adults in them and I've pushed around a double with a 9 yo and 7 yo - the 9 yo was sick but she didn't look it.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald72 View Post
    I'm 36 and wish someone would push me in a stroller.
    I was just thinking the same thing! I am 24 but I often think of if it is possible for me to manuver myself into a stroller! LOL
    Next Trip-Jan 2012 POFQ! & 2nd DCL! Sailing To The Caribbean!

Previous Trips
    12/'10 CBR & 1st DCL
    12/'09 CBR
    12/'08 *1st On Property*- POFQ
    12/'07 *1st Christmas Trip*
    04/'06 1st trip back
    11/'91* 6 yrs old, My 1st Trip To WDW*

ºoº "Let Us Not Forget,It All Started With A Mouse" ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

i completely understand! we are on the fence about "big orange" (our stroller) this year - its one of the ones that has the big kid rider platform on the back so dd can jump on and off which makes it great for an older kid and the front has the seat that is great for holding stuff but we have not decided yet
    playdead88

boardwalk villas may 2005
    boardwalk villas may 2006
    beach club villas april 2007

wilderness lodge april 2008
    DVC member april 08
    animal kingdom villas may 09

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, no rules to this, it's whatever works for you. We never even used a stroller when my son was little (first time at WDW he was 3)--I don't know what we were thinking! But by the time he was 5, he wouldn't have sat in one anyway. We just went at a slower pace and it all worked out fine.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

My DS will be almost 6 when we go this Sept. and I've already asked him if he wants a stroller. He said yes. We've been a few times and he knows how much walking we do. I say anything that makes touring happy for everyone-do it! Kids get tired at the parks, and using a stroller alleviates a lot of it. I say do what is right for your whole family.
    Don't need to watch where I'm going, just need to know where I've been--Mater

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. As long as you guys are having a good time on your trip, and not interfering with someone else's don't worry about it.

I used to think it was ridiculous when I saw an older child in a stroller but that was before I had kids. People might think you "look like a doofus" but they are not in your shoes.

I am going to try and make our DS(5) hoof it out our first day as a trial run. I am hiding the double stroller in the trunk unless he starts to really falter. My hope (possibly false) is that he won't want to ride if it isn't there. Maybe you could do the same if you really don't want to let them ride. Otherwise what does it really matter what other people think?

I am planning on using a back pack harness for our two year old and I know I will get stares for that but I don't really care because that works for us.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyRN View Post
    But, I don't want to look like a doofus pushing around my 7 year old in a stroller.
    You might look like a doofus when you give yourself a hernia or rupture a disc after carrying a tired 7 year old around.

Do what you think is best!! Are strollers any cheaper if you wait until late in the day to rent one? Is there such a thing as a half-day rate?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FaithTrustPixieDust View Post
    Are strollers any cheaper if you wait until late in the day to rent one? Is there such a thing as a half-day rate?
    Not that I've seen. That's why we take our own. For the price of renting a stroller for the week I could buy a really nice one.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

We plan to bring our double stroller for our kids who will be 4 and 7 on our next trip. Both my DDs get tired with all the walking. I would rather they have energy to enjoy everything than be tired and cranky. If your kids will sit in it is so worth it.
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

Post Thanks / Like

Our kids were 5 and 8 the last time we went, and after 5 days at the parks, we had to get a stroller one day. They were just beat. I don't think anyone would give it a second thought to see you pushing a "big kid" in a stroller... WDW just takes it out of you! Especially the little ones.

Post Thanks / Like

we are planning on renting a double for my neice (5) and dd (4) thinking that when my almost 9yo can't take it anymore we can boot them out and let her take a rest. hopefully that wont backfire and make us have to rent one for her too!! i could never imagine my kids doing all that walking- they cry at the mall!

Post Thanks / Like

We're bringing our MacLaren Triumph for our girls (ages 4 and 6) to share on our trip in August. I do intend to have them walking with me everyday this summer to build up their strength. But even so, the heat and humidity of August will take its toll.

Now hopefully we'll find a good way to keep track of who's turn it is to ride in the stroller...

Kathy
    Many trips from childhood to 2008, WDW/DLP
    8/09: Ultimate Adventurer Trip, WL Concierge/AKL
    6/10: POFQ
    12/10: Mousefan Reunion (Pop)
    8/11, 7/12: AKL Concierge
    10/12: ICOT 15th solo trip (Pop)
    4/13: Pop
    7/13: Hilton Bonnet Creek
    7/14: 3 nights at BLT
    12/14: US, IOA, and WDW

Post Thanks / Like

We will be taking our stroller for ds5. He walks alot but when he gets tired he can hop in rest till hes ready to go again. I've found this lets us stay at parks till closing without going back to hotel for a rest. Plus you can store all your stuff in it.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: