Quantcast interesting rumor - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    DisneyNut2005 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gooftroop5 View Post
    When has disney ever listened to people outcried when cancelling or closing things that people miss. Just looking around intercot there are a large number of posts on what people miss, rides, shows, music etc.
    The reality is that those of us on the Internet are really a very teeny-tiny minority.

Just because the majority of the people on the Internet miss something doesn't always mean that the entire public at large feels the same way.

I'm not saying that they hate the hardcore fans or anything, but It's the majority of the guests (the non-fanatics, casual visitors, etc.)that Disney has to please first and foremost in order to survive as a company.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JabberJaws View Post
    I will say the following about this rumor:
    [*]From a logistical standpoint, it would be a terrible idea, and probably not feasible, to put a new e or d ticket attraction where F! is. Think about the traffic issues already caused by RnR and ToT being right next to one another.[*]Considering the fact that the site was designed specifically for F!, including all electric wiring, water, facilities, etc etc, it wouldn't be feasible from a cost standpoint to gut it and replace it.
    You know, the congestion doesn't have to be bad if they put an E ride on the current fantasmic location. I don't know where you currently enter the theater if you do the Fantasmic dining program but it used to be down by the restrooms near the front entrance to the park.

While entering the theater from that direction in the past I have commented several times that they have enough land back there to put in an entire new street of shops ending with an E ride attraction at the current Fantasmic location and then looping back in front of the Tower of Terror.

And as for money, when Disney decides a project is worth doing then money is not an issue. Any time in the past when they decided to do something they always found the money to do it and I am sure that is still the case today!

Post Thanks / Like

I would add for those who think it's not feasible because of the land or the current layout/traffic issues. Don't forget that this is the same company that transformed what would be considered swamp land into a mega-entertainment resort. If they decide to do it, and they want to spend the money, they can pretty much do whatever they want regardless of what's there now.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - Surprised to see all the Fantasmic hate in here. The music, the choreography, fireworks and characters. This is a must see for my family.

I have turned a couple of families that go (even ones that don't like parades and shows) into going to see Fantasmic!.

I will admit that we don't go to Disney when it's busy. So a full stadium still has seating room available when we go. This may play into many people's decision of liking or disliking it. I have also wondered if they would think of doing double tiered seating for the show to accommodate the busy times.
    There seems to be no sign of intelligent life anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone thought that maybe the reason they are "upgrading" the DL version of Fantasmic is because they really DO plan to scrap the WDW one? Thus making Fantasmic another DLR "unique" experience again? Pumping money into making one version better while cutting back shows of the other at the same time doesn't seem right, and saying that WDW's Fantasmic "will get the same makeover later, when the economy is better" does not make any sense. Why not just do them at the same time?

The truth is, Ian is right. Fantasmic STINKS at WDW. That's right...I said it. I will stand by his comment that it is just about the WORST waste of time at WDW.

On the other hand, Fantasmic at DL is great. I love seeing it there. If, in fact, the "WDW Execs" have called WDW's Fantasmic a "bad guest experience", I'd say they hit the nail right on the head...I will never see WDW's Fantasmic ever again. Total waste of time, uncomfortable, and being jostled around like a herd of cattle is NOT my idea of a good time at WDW. Plus, the show is lame...

I never saw Sorcery in the Sky, but perhaps if they had fireworks at DHS, people would stick around there longer, and not hurry off to MK or Epcot every night...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    And as for money, when Disney decides a project is worth doing then money is not an issue. Any time in the past when they decided to do something they always found the money to do it and I am sure that is still the case today!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    I would add for those who think it's not feasible because of the land or the current layout/traffic issues. Don't forget that this is the same company that transformed what would be considered swamp land into a mega-entertainment resort. If they decide to do it, and they want to spend the money, they can pretty much do whatever they want regardless of what's there now.

Unfortunately, if things were ran the way they are now back then, neither DL or WDW would exist. Back then, Walt Disney had many people telling him that what he envisioned was not financially sound, but (I think) he morgaged his own house and brought in investors and made it work. Today, I don't think there is anyone at Disney that would have the clout to greenlight a project that the board has said no to because they believe it would be too expensive.
    Grim Grinning Ghosts come out to socialize.
    Nov/Dec 2001 POR-early 10th anniversary
    Oct/Nov 2002 Poly/AKL-late 10th anniversary
    Dec 2003 POR
    Nov 2007 CBR
    Oct/Nov 2008 CBR/AKL
    Nov/Dec 2019? I HOPE!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, things are much different now then they were when WDW was built. And, Disney is reluctant now days to do massive building projects. I must however, point out that he wasn't alive when they built WDW.
    Also, I must point out that they do still build big attractions. Expedition was reported to have been close to $100 million, as was Mission:Space.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNut2005 View Post
    The reality is that those of us on the Internet are really a very teeny-tiny minority.

Just because the majority of the people on the Internet miss something doesn't always mean that the entire public at large feels the same way.

I'm not saying that they hate the hardcore fans or anything, but It's the majority of the guests (the non-fanatics, casual visitors, etc.)that Disney has to please first and foremost in order to survive as a company.
    Disney as any other company only answers to one group of people & that is the majority stock holders. They are a lot smaller then any group that is on the internet.

There is not enough people that have stopped going because of they changed or got rid of favorite attractions. The people just keep coming. That was my whole point. There is a lot of stuff Disney has gotten rid of over the years that people miss. There are something things that people wish would go away but don't.

Until the majority stop going to the Parks, seeing & buying movies, merchandise etc Disney will not answer to anything but the stockholders.
    Just got back. Unless we win the lottery or some long lost rich relative leaves me a bunch of money we won't be back for 5 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Count me among those who loathe Fantasmic. I have seen it once and I was bored to tears. Wishes and Illuminations trigger emotions that Fantasmic just doesn't compare to.

Part of me wonders if the suits at Disney think that if the Wonderful World of Color at DCA is a hit, they will just export it to Hollywood Studios.
    Upcoming Trips
    Villas at Grand Californian - 11/2012

Recent Trips
    Old Key West - 12/2011
    Contemporary - 05/2011
    Beach Club Villas - 03/2011
    Villas at Grand Californian - 12/2010
    Hilton Head Island - 5/2010
    Boardwalk Villas - 9/09

DVC Member - Villas at Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

I loved Sorcery in the Sky! I've never been a huge fan of Fantasmic, mostly due to the huge crush of people crowded into that theater but I also find the show somewhat boring and I hate when the water curtain blows mist into the crowd and onto my glasses - and this can happen even in the top rows. I'm doing the Fantasmic dinner package in July but if the crowds are as badly behaved as reported lately, I'll just end up skipping Fantasmic and still will have enjoyed my dinner.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I must however, point out that he wasn't alive when they built WDW.
    Also, I must point out that they do still build big attractions. Expedition was reported to have been close to $100 million, as was Mission:Space.

That's true, but he was alive when they were buying the property. Also, no DL=no WDW (most likely).

As far as building big attractions, anyone who went to DL in 1998 remembers Rocket Rods. There was nothing like seeing the fire extinguishers every few feet to add to the experience. Luckily, I wasn't there to witness any of the fires. And what about Stitch's Great Escape? That was a great one, too. I'm sure there are many more examples of not wanting to foot the bill for an attraction.
    Grim Grinning Ghosts come out to socialize.
    Nov/Dec 2001 POR-early 10th anniversary
    Oct/Nov 2002 Poly/AKL-late 10th anniversary
    Dec 2003 POR
    Nov 2007 CBR
    Oct/Nov 2008 CBR/AKL
    Nov/Dec 2019? I HOPE!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Btw, just had to comment on this. The same could have been said for Horizons........
    Touche John, touche.

I have read through all the posts and read all the arguments and still must say that IMO I don't see closing F! in favor of Sorcerer in the Sky as happening. But then again, what do I know!

One thing that I think is being overlooked though, with the big sorceror's hat and Pixar Place, is everything still there that would need to be there for Sorceror in the Sky? Also, they would have to close off Pixar Place to do the fireworks show. Would they be willing to go through the trouble of closing off that area, which includes one of the more, if not most, currently popular rides in the park?

Also, with the hat in place, would Sorceror in the Sky even work the same way? Wouldn't the hat block the view of the giant inflatable mickey (which I never really thought was all that great to be honest).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have always been a HUGE F! fan (NOT a fan of the crowds or the long wait, but the show itself). I even did merchandise vending there back during my CM days, and saw the show sometimes 3 times a night, and never really got tired of it.

It just seems that the more cost effective decision would be to upgrade based on the DL upgrades rather than a gut and replace.

Rememeber all the rumors a few years back that WDI was going to gut and replace SE with a high speed thrill ride. Turned out not to be feasible structurally or cost-wise, so they simply upgraded what they already had.

If you think WDI could greenlight a project like this when Disney's profits (and my stock!) dropped like a rock this quarter, largely based on theme park revenue, then they have an easy-to-please board!
    Recent Disney Trips
    -May 2007 (Pop Century)
    -Oct. 2007 (Saratoga Springs)
    -Dec. 2007 (DL - Paradise Pier Hotel)
    -Oct. 2008 (Caribbean Beach)
    -Feb. 2010 (Pop Century)
    -Feb. 2011 (AKL)
    -Feb. 2012 (DL - Paradise Pier Hotel)
    -Dec. 2012 (Coronado Springs)
    -Oct. 2014 (Coronado Springs)

Post Thanks / Like

My opinion comes from someone who has seen it twice. Both times with no wait and not crowded and no kids. Boring. I will never see it again, crowded or not, unless I was with my nieces and they wanted me to take them.

As far putting attractions into that area. Why not? DHS is already completely discombobulated and laid out horribly. Can't make it much worse than it already is.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Expedition was reported to have been close to $100 million, as was Mission:Space.
    Expedition Everest was over 100 million I believe and almost all of the effects do not work... Heck, the Yeti has been broken for over a year... Mission Space was over 100 million as well and is one heck of a dumb and boring attraction...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    The truth is, Ian is right. Fantasmic STINKS at WDW. That's right...I said it. I will stand by his comment that it is just about the WORST waste of time at WDW.

On the other hand, Fantasmic at DL is great. I love seeing it there.
    Not sure i'd go as far as Stinks, but yes, when you've seen the DL version you can tell how little of that magic is captured in the DHS version, almost none. We were terribily disappointed when we first saw it and won't see it again.

A large part of not seeing it again is the amphitheatre. The steel seats and all the concrete make a very dull setting that just adds to the unpleasantness of dealing with the crowds.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

WOW. All this time I thought that F! was great. I try to get to WDW every 12-18 months and plan on seeing it at least once. The first year it opened I was staying at Boardwalk and saw it 4 times, just a quick boat ride away. All of the arguements about long line, crowding and lost revenue had to have been known. The Imagineers are the group that the Smithsonian goes to when they can't figure out traffic patterns. After giving this rumor a TON of thought, I think it will stay with improvements.

FYI, those people that don't like, stop going and that will relieve the crowds. JK
    23 Trips in 21 Years, Including 5 Disney Cruises, From Chicago
    Hopefully DisneyLAND summer 2014!
    DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Been following this thread with great interest... Thanks to Chris for the original post!
    Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    On the other hand, Fantasmic at DL is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    A large part of not seeing it again is the amphitheatre. The steel seats and all the concrete make a very dull setting that just adds to the unpleasantness of dealing with the crowds.
    Here's my problem - I thought the "seating" for the audience at DL was atrocious. I mean, seriously, there is NO "seating" whatsoever. People line up around the area hours ahead of time, making navigating the park rather difficult.

And going to the "second show" in DL is no fun either - there are multitudes of people leaving the first show... while all those seeking the second are scouting out the area and "plopping themselves down" on an area.

It's all very odd...

DL's problem with Fantasmic is a logistical one.
    I rather enjoy the ampitheater in WDW whereas there is seating and set walkways for entrances/exits.
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Frank is right about the logisitical issues DL faces with Fantasmic.

HOWEVER, I see it as being no different from waiting around to watch the fireworks at either MK, DL, or Epcot. It's essentially the same thing. If you are not interested in seeing Fantasmic at DL, it does make getting around that area difficult, which just sort of requires some more advanced planning to avoid the area altogether.

However, in terms of "seating" and stuff, the truth is, it's not necessary to stake out a spot so early. A lot of people do that, but you could just as easily walk up 10 min prior to showtime and stand there with everyone else and see the show just fine. That's how I've always done it.

The way the pavement is sloped and the "tiered" sidewalks, it provides a good vantage point, and since Tom Sawyer Island is elevated, you can see just fine from anywhere around the Rivers of America.

I like how you are WAY up close at DL, and it seems like you are more part of the show that way. And, when it's over, people just sort of disperse. They're not all funneled in ONLY one direction...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tigmickey View Post
    WOW. All this time I thought that F! was great.
    Just to clarify, I don't think the DHS version is terrible, for me its a matter or comparison. We agreed that if we hadn't seen the DL version we would have enjoyed the show but having seen DL's, it didn't work for us.

I understand what Frank is saying about DL's logistics. Been caught up in that. I'm not sure exactly why it is but for some reason we found that less annoying than the amphitheatre setting at DHS.

It likely has something to do with standing in the same location in DL that you did during the day to see DL's HM or POTC or ride the Mark Twain riverboat and now its transformed into a show. And, the Mark Twain and Columbia boats are an essential part of the show at DL. Just added magic that you can't get at DHS which is clearly just set pieces in a show rather than the theme park and its pieces being the show (like at DL). Hope that all made sense.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

We absolutely LOVE Fantasmic! We took the local high school to Disneyworld one year and several adults had to wait and get seats for about 200 people. One of the kids remarked "it better be worth all this." Afterwards. I asked if it was. His face lit up and he said "Oh, yes!" If the show can make a cynical teenager grin and get starry eyed, imagine what it can do for the younger kids...or the chid in all of us. It would break our hearts to lose Fantasmic!
    Disney Institute December 1999
    Ft. Wilderness June 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006-December 2007
    Caribbean Beach January 2008
    Port Orleans Riverside - January 2009
    Pop Century January 2007, December 2009, November 2010
    Pop CenturyOctober 2011

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: