Quantcast Swine Flu - what does that mean for Disney? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I really wouldn't worry too much at this point. As someone pointed out, there are very few cases in the US so far. In addition all of those people had traveled to Mexico, or had contact with someone who was in Mexico recently.

It's unfortunate that we live in a media-fueled society, and they seem to enjoy creating wildfires. The important information can be found amongst the fear-mongering by the media. Wash your hands and, if you have any flu symptoms seek treatment immediately. I really think the deaths in Mexico are more a testament to some of the living/health care conditions in that country as opposed to the virulence of this virus.

The virus in the US has been easily treated with readily available medicines.

Don't worry and enjoy the vacation!
    2011 - Planning phase!
    2009 - DD's First Trip - PO Riverside
    2003 - PO Riverside
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge (honeymoon)
    1998 - Polynesian
    1995 - Off-Site
    1991 - Polynesian
    1989 - Polynesian
    1987 - Ft. Wilderness Campground

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

While the US has only 20 "reported" cases so far, I fear the fact that many visitors to Disney come from outside US borders, including Mexico. Spending 30-40 minutes in line with a carrier would really raise the odds of contamination.

I guess the next question for this thread should be, if you come down with flu symptoms, can or will Disney give you any assistance or are you on your own. I'm guessing, capitalism being what it is, they will be very hus-hush on any actual or suspected outbreaks to protect their interest.

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

The news is accomplishing two things:

1. Creating some hysteria amongst the population.

2. Giving the people an opportunity to be prepared.

There is not much Disney can and should do at this point. RememberDisney is a business.
    1965*, 1972, 1980, 1986, 1992, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004 Disneyland ** Aug 2009 25th Wedding Anniversary, 2010 (June), 2012

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SFTrny View Post
    Using CDC and US Census data....as of today, April 26th, 2009....there have been 20 confirmed cases of Swine Flu in the United States among a population of roughly 306 MILLION.

I don't want to minimize anyone's concerns, but using this data, you have a .000065 % chance of catching Swine Flu...or roughly 15,300,000 to 1

To put this in perspective..Odds of:

bowling a 300 game: 11,500 to 1
    getting a hole in one: 5,000 to 1
    getting canonized: 20,000,000 to 1
    being an astronaut: 13,200,000 to 1
    winning an Olympic medal: 662,000 to 1
    an American speaking Cherokee: 15000 to 1
    injury from fireworks: 19,556 to 1
    injury from shaving: 6,585 to 1
    injury from using a chain saw: 4,464 to 1
    injury from mowing the lawn: 3,623 to 1
    fatally slipping in bath or shower: 2,232 to 1
    drowning in a bathtub: 685,000 to 1

While the Swine Flu has proved fatal in some areas of the world, it is not universally fatal and no fatalities have been within the US.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...dr2EAD97PPGU00

I hope this makes you feel better. Relax and enjoy the magic!

About the same odds as winning a gold medal. Michael Phelps watch out!
    1965*, 1972, 1980, 1986, 1992, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004 Disneyland ** Aug 2009 25th Wedding Anniversary, 2010 (June), 2012

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one

Post Thanks / Like

I just read an article about the CDC and WHO and they both indicated that the US is now going to "interview" all individuals coming from affected areas. Additionally, the cases of the Swine Flu in the US (and Canada) have been very few, isolated and more mild than those in Mexico (they are unsure why this is). Please keep in mind that Mexico's standard of living is MUCH different than that of the US...a hard hit area is Mexico City. Also, they stated that if they weren't looking for cases of the Swine Flu in the US, the existing cases would have gone unnoticed due to the fact that they were mild.

I may wear a mask on the plane...it depends on the developments in the next 9 days till we visit WDW. Otherwise, I will bring the usual anti-bacterial wipes...and Clorox Wipes for the hotel room. Make sure we ALL wash our hands frequently and use wipes or Purell periodically throughout the day. I agree with others...steer clear of those who are coughing/sneezing (hence the helpfulness of masks). OH....and I also use Zicam as it is homeopathic, no drug interactions, and is safe for children. I think it is useless to make a comparision to the 1918 flu...they did not have the medical advances we now have.

I was just thinking I needed to pick up the anti-bacterial wipes. Then I come in this morning to find my boss is here...he cancelled his trip to our plant in Mexico!!!! I am VERY happy they are not going. We are in close contact with our Mexico plant and they all seem fine...they are in Monterrey.
    Last edited by Nini5055; 04-27-2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: additional information

Post Thanks / Like

I'm firmly in the Don't Panic camp. I think it's very important to keep in mind that even though people who have died in Mexico have been of prime age, does not mean they were of prime health or in good, clean living conditions. In fact, the news has backed off saying they died directly from the flu and are now (as of the last article I read) saying they are "flu-related" deaths. Remember that the media always paints things as alarmingly as possible because it's better business for them. Certainly take health precautions seriously, just like you would during any flu outbreak.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have it I would hope so.
    1972 - 1995 - Stayed with family or camped
    1996 - 2003 - All Stars
    2004 - Disneyland
    2006 - All Stars
    04/14/07 - Disney's Coronado Springs
    04/19/08 - Disney's Coronado Springs
    05/02/09 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    08/28/10 - Animal Kingdom Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

We are vacationing in a tourist area (non-Disney) soon and I am a little concerned. I know the media hypes this stuff, but even our government seems to be in a bit of a panic over this. I'm not really sure what to think, but we are going on vacation and I will just try to be extra careful.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm one of those people who watches the news constantly. I know some people are saying that the reports are exaggerated, but what would their purpose be if they are unjustly causing a panic?
    For my family, there is no better time than our once a year vacation to WDW. We truly enjoy our family time together. I start planning our next trip the day after we get home.
    With that said, I would definately cancel our vacation, if this is still going on. Any vacation can be rescheduled. I look at it this way: our vacations and time together are very important to us, but our lives are more important. I don't think the mainstrem media is trying to scare people, I think they are trying to inform the public. Knowledge is key to containing an epidemic. What would you do if you were on a sold-out plane and the person behind you or next to your family is coughing or sneezing? You couldn't change your seat, and I don't think it would matter if you did. That recycled air would be contageous to everyone.
    I don't think this is a time to panic, but I also believe that people should be pro-active. If it gets worse, adjust your plans and protect your loved ones.
    Don't need to watch where I'm going, just need to know where I've been--Mater

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toad_Passenger View Post
    I really think the deaths in Mexico are more a testament to some of the living/health care conditions in that country as opposed to the virulence of this virus.
    That seems to be the key issue many are overlooking. It is a little nerve wracking, but I'm not canceling my trip. I'll be cautious about hygiene, but that's about all that is necessary at this point.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile from a sick person

Well, I am lying in bed, sick with something that I assume is NOT swine flu! I have not started to snort or grow a pig nose...

But I have a pretty bad fever, chills, swollen painful lymph nodes along my jaw and underarms, sneezing,and a very ugly fever blister and swollen lip. I look terrible. But I feel ok mostly.

I've been sick since Saturday. I spent all day yesterday cleaning the whole house with clorox wipes, spraying lysol, washing bedding. I wiped down every light switch and door knob and telephone! The only things I didn't clorox was my pets and children!

Aren't you all glad I'm staying home and NOT traveling in a plane with you?

My advice:
    Avoid sick looking people like me!!
    Wash your hands often and keep them away from your face.
    Relax, and have a great vacation!

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I don't believe it is necessary to cancel vacation plans because you might sit next to someone sick on a plane. I DO believe everyone should be cautious and more vigilant. Just because someone is coughing or sneezing does not mean they are infected with the flu. If a person is worried about catching the Swine Flu or any other virus for that matter, they can certainly use a mask...and yes, they do provide protection.

I am one of those people who feel the media puts a spin on their reporting. It is just good business and the more people who watch...the better their ratings. In the case of a possible epidemic, I would feel that people would be much more well informed reading the CDC and WHO reports/advisories....including travel advisories.

Of the number of people who live in the United States only 20 have become ill. Not bad when it comes to any flu strain. From a statistics standpoint, that is not considered an epidemic.

Post Thanks / Like

This strain of swine flu started in Mexico on April 13. As of this morning there are 1614 cases there. While 20 cases in the U.S. doesn't sounds like many, it doesn't take long for the virus to become widespread. There are now cases all over the world-New Zealand, Italy, etc.
    Don't need to watch where I'm going, just need to know where I've been--Mater

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marlaine View Post
    This strain of swine flu started in Mexico on April 13. As of this morning there are 1614 cases there. While 20 cases in the U.S. doesn't sounds like many, it doesn't take long for the virus to become widespread. There are now cases all over the world-New Zealand, Italy, etc.
    I agree, if the numbers start with 20 and double everyday for a week you end up with 1280. You know it's like that old shampoo commercial from the 70s (the brand escpapes me)...I told two friends, and she told two friends, and so on, and so on......
    DVC - BCV
    Last Trip: 09.15
    Next Trip: 05.16

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DNS View Post
    We are vacationing in a tourist area (non-Disney) soon and I am a little concerned. I know the media hypes this stuff, but even our government seems to be in a bit of a panic over this. I'm not really sure what to think, but we are going on vacation and I will just try to be extra careful.
    Actually our government is not in a panic over this. The President himself told us not to panic, and the CDC, which is headquartered in Atlanta, GA is telling us there is no need to panic.

Again, as so many have already said, if you do the things you should normally do (wash hands, see a doctor if you're ill) then you will be fine.

And, FWIW, the media do have their own agenda, so causing unnecessary panic is in their best interest, just so people keep coming back to them for more information. Remember the old joke, "World ends at 8pm...film at 11."
    2011 - Planning phase!
    2009 - DD's First Trip - PO Riverside
    2003 - PO Riverside
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge (honeymoon)
    1998 - Polynesian
    1995 - Off-Site
    1991 - Polynesian
    1989 - Polynesian
    1987 - Ft. Wilderness Campground

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it looks as though the number of US cases are at 40...28 of which were the NY school. There will be a Travel Advisory issued warning against any travel to Mexico.

While I will not cancel my vacation plans, it remains highly important to use frequent hand washing, anti-bacterial wipes and face masks while travelling.

Post Thanks / Like

The media prefer sensational stories because it gets them more viewers, which gets them more advertisers, which makes them more money. I'm not at all a cynical person, this is just the reality of it. They aren't reporting anything that's factually incorrect, but without having all the facts, you can come to different conclusions about how severe a situation is.

Health organizations worldwide are being cautious and vigilant about it, just as they should be.

People are being advised to take the same measures that they would in any flu season. I was once told the average yearly deaths from our standard flu season and I was shocked. It was much higher than I would have ever guessed. At this time I can't see any reason to be more alarmed at this, than I would during any flu season.

I would never presume to tell someone that they should or shouldn't do something based upon anything but their own level of concern. So, definitely, if you feel a trip to WDW or any other busy location is a bad idea during this time, go with your instincts. But, we most definitely will still be going. There is nothing being reported to make me believe this isn't a safe thing for us to do.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel so bad for Mexico...they are dealing with the flu and then they had an earthquake today!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Moderator Alert
    Hey, everyone. The thread has been fine so far, but let's keep the media talk out of it please. Nothing bad so far but I don't want this to deteriorate into a discussion of what the media's agenda may or may not be. Just stay focused on the original issue, please.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Flu 1918

Quote Originally Posted by SFTrny View Post
    Ummmm...No...I don't remember the 1918 flu. I was born in the 60's. But...there's been a LOT of medical advances as well as sociological changes associated with hygiene. It wasn't until 1901 that different blood types were discovered. Xrays, Cat scans, advanced anti-biotics, ...there's been a LOT of advances since 1918.
    The 1918 flu started on Hancock Street, Quincy, MA. Three people were infected. They were the first to be identified. Then it spread from there. My Nana told me about it.
    Keep smiling and Have a magical day!!!
    It's all good.

We love to serve fun, food, and deliciousness.

AKA: Jean and Marty

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: