Quantcast Hall of Fame Broadcaster Harry Kalas Dead

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

I actually started a Facebook group encouraging fans to petition the Phils to rename Citizen Bank Way to Kalas Blvd.

I think that's the level of tribute Harry warranted.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I actually started a Facebook group encouraging fans to petition the Phils to rename Citizen Bank Way to Kalas Blvd.

I think that's the level of tribute Harry warranted.
    I like that idea. Not sure if it's made it's way to Facebook yet, but there's also a movement to make High Hopes the 7th inning stretch song. I think Harry would love that.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Jesus, Maryanne ... just when I was feeling a bit better I read your letter and it got me going all over again.

I think what touched me the most about it was that I could have written it myself.

You should send that somewhere ... to the Phils or Harry's loved ones or something ... it's that perfect ...
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I think I can finally put down my thoughts without uncontrollably sobbing. Managed to get through the day by having the game on in my office with the sound off, as I could not handle hearing a game without Harry just yet. I get into my car to drive home and listen to the end of the game on the radio. I hear Lidge give up the 2 run homer, shortening the lead to 1 run. I said a silent prayer that I know Lidge's streak will end, God, just don't let it be today. Lidge pulled it together and they won, but you could hear how hard the game was for the radio announcers, especially Larry Andersen. As they were signing off, Scott Franzke out of habit started to say "this is Scott Franzke and for Larry Andersen and " when he stopped as he was about to say Harry Kalas, as he would for any other game. His voice broke, not knowing what to say. Larry Andersen finished it, saying "and Harry Kalas" which is when I shed the first tears.

Later last night, I was flipping between the Comcast tribute and the Rays game on my MLB Extra Innings package (for those who do not know, Harry's oldest son is the pre and post game host for the Rays). Of course, Todd was not there and the Rays' broadcasters explained why and offered their own tribute. Then the game started. As most of you know, the Rays blew out the Yankees, but I was watching the Pat Burrell at bats. He was very somber and you saw the Rays players saying things of encouragement to him. Well, I was watching when Pat hit is first non-Phillies home run and he ran with his head down, no smile. All I could think was Harry making the call of this home run and then I really started to cry.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Even for someone like me who was a partial Phillies fan but who spent their entire life in the Philly area, Harry Kalas was the soundtrack of the summer for me.

To paraphrase Jayson Stark: "it (Harry's voice) has been such a constant in all our lives for as long as most of us can remember."
    Very true indeed.
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I think I can finally put down my thoughts without uncontrollably sobbing. Managed to get through the day by having the game on in my office with the sound off, as I could not handle hearing a game without Harry just yet. I get into my car to drive home and listen to the end of the game on the radio. I hear Lidge give up the 2 run homer, shortening the lead to 1 run. I said a silent prayer that I know Lidge's streak will end, God, just don't let it be today. Lidge pulled it together and they won, but you could hear how hard the game was for the radio announcers, especially Larry Andersen. As they were signing off, Scott Franzke out of habit started to say "this is Scott Franzke and for Larry Andersen and " when he stopped as he was about to say Harry Kalas, as he would for any other game. His voice broke, not knowing what to say. Larry Andersen finished it, saying "and Harry Kalas" which is when I shed the first tears.

Later last night, I was flipping between the Comcast tribute and the Rays game on my MLB Extra Innings package (for those who do not know, Harry's oldest son is the pre and post game host for the Rays). Of course, Todd was not there and the Rays' broadcasters explained why and offered their own tribute. Then the game started. As most of you know, the Rays blew out the Yankees, but I was watching the Pat Burrell at bats. He was very somber and you saw the Rays players saying things of encouragement to him. Well, I was watching when Pat hit is first non-Phillies home run and he ran with his head down, no smile. All I could think was Harry making the call of this home run and then I really started to cry.
    I'm virtually certain that's what was going through Pat's mind, as well.

Honestly, after seeing Pat's demeanor at the ring ceremony game the other day, I really don't think he's doing all that well with the transition. He seemed pretty melancholy. I'm sure this didn't help things.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Christine, that was wonderful. As far as Pat... yea, I think it really kills him not to be here. I attended Pat Burrell night (First pre-season game) and the ring ceremony. He teared up at both. He got crazy ovations. It's funny, because one of my favorite recent Kalas calls came last season. It was April, and they were into extra innings. (Pat had an amazing start last year, if you remember). Burrell hit a game winning walk off home run. The call went something like "Pat Burrell! Pa-hat Burr-urr-url! Pat Burrell with a game-winning, ninth-inning home run!" Even though it wasn't the 9th inning, that's ok. Harry was allowed to make mistakes. I have tickets for friday and saturday's games and I'm kinda glad... I just am not ready to listen to games without him, knowing that he's not just away for a few days... he'll never be back again.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

You know I was thinking ... not that there's really ever a "good" way to go, but if you could write an ideal script for Harry's exit I'm not sure you could do a better job than the way it went down.

He was coming off calling his first World Series Championship for the Phils in his 39 year career ... he had just thrown out the first pitch at his last home game (a game I attended, I might add) and received his World Series ring ... and he passed away in the booth doing what he loved to do.

I'm just trying to draw some solace from the fact that, unlike some others who have gone before him, Harry kinda went out on top.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Ian, I agree with your sentiment totally, but I do have to mention that Harry did not actually receive his ring on that day. Only the players did. Broadcasters and everyone else aren't due to get theirs until June, I read. Either they expedite his so he can be buried with it, or just give it to the family.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

From the Philadelphia newspaper website today:

Wednesday, April 15, 2009
    Phillies announce plans for Harry tribute
    The Phillies have announced a series of tributes to Harry Kalas for Friday night and also for the rest of the season.

Fans are urged to arrive early for the 7:05 p.m. start against the San Diego Padres at Citizens Bank Park.

According to a Phillies press release, here is what the team has planned:

* The television booth in which Harry broadcast since Citizens Bank Park opened in 2004 will be named the Harry Kalas Broadcast Booth, “That ball’s outta here!” A plaque will be hung to officially name the booth. The neighboring radio booth is named the Richie (“Whitey”) Ashburn Broadcast Booth, “This game’s easy, Harry.”

* The ceremonial first ball will be thrown by Harry’s three sons, Todd, Brad and Kane.

* Prior to the National Anthem, to be sung by Harry’s son Kane, there will be a moment of silence.

* All fans will receive an 8”x10” color photograph of Harry.

* Harry’s signature will be displayed on the field during the seven-game homestand beginning on Friday.

* Also for the seven games, a black drape will appear in front of the Phillies radio and TV booths and the Phillies flag in Ashburn Alley will be hung at half-mast.

* A video of Harry’s career will be aired on PhanaVision.

* During the seventh-inning stretch, a video of Harry singing “High Hopes” will be shown on PhanaVision. Fans will be encouraged to join in.

Other acknowledgements include:

* During the first half-inning of the game televised by Comcast Network Philadelphia (formerly CN8), there will be no announcer commentary.

* Throughout the remainder of the season, a billboard honoring Harry will be displayed on the outfield wall.

* As previously announced, an HK patch will be worn on Phillies uniforms this season.

* Throughout the 2009 season, following every Phillies home run, Harry’s legendary “Outta Here!” home run call will be played over the PA system as the Liberty Bell lights up.

All great tributes, in my opinion. I love the "Outta Here!" after each Phillies home run and I think they should make that a permanent part of every game.
    -Phil-

"The future is no place to place your better days."--Dave Matthews
    "Be fair, alright, everyone wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride."--Mallrats

"The Philadelphia Phillies are 2008 World Champions of Baseball!"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Random Thoughts

Don't know if any of you saw the press conference Todd Kalas had yesterday on behalf of the Kalas family(Todd was pretty classy, which shows the apple doesn't fall far from the tree). From some of the things Todd said, I get the feeling the Harry knew he was dying and just did not want to say anything to his kids or the organization.

Co-worker was at the Sixers game last night and the Sixers did a nice tribute. They had a moment of silence then the lights went out and they played a montage of Harry Kalas calls. Nicely done, especially as he had no connection to the Sixers.

Memorial service at the ballpark on Saturday at 1:00 (his funeral will be private early next week). Gates open at 8:00 AM. I guarantee the line to get in will be blocks long. Hope that Comcast Sportsnet shows it on TV.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: