Quantcast Is there a resort you hate? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I'll bite on this one, as it's something that crossed my mind:

*I* think the LOCATION of the AKL pool is dumb. It should have been more centrally located, although obviously with the "savannah", that was not possible. A VERY easy solution would have been 2 pools; one at either end of the resort.

I also feel that the AKL lobby gives off a very depressing/creepy vibe. It's not at ALL impressive to me. I LOVE the WL lobby, though. To each his own, but I can honestly say that I hate the decor at AKL (lobby and rooms both) and am turned off by everything in there (including the restaurants, and the lame "savannah"). So much so, that I will NEVER stay there.
    I totaly agree with you on those counts i couldnt believe the size of pool and and i a 2nd one is defiantly needed . What we found scarey was on the guest viewing points you could see right into the guests rooms thus no privacy

For me the AKL is just to dark and drab and dare i say a tad crammed
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2009 2010 2011 2013 2014 2017 BLT
    Dec 2012 2015 2016 2018 OKW
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I guess at AKL if you are big pool people, you better hope you have a nicely-located room.

It's all about managing expectations, to some extent. I think if you've done your research and know what to expect, WDW is unlikely to come in below your expectations. This doesn't mean you can't be irritated by something you think is unnecessary, like the pool situation at AKL, but plan for that.

When we stayed at AKL we had literally the farthest room from the lobby. It was a long, long, loooonnng walk, but I knew this was a possibility going in and I knew there was only one pool. Told the fam what to potentially expect, and then we dealt with it.

If we stayed at a value I'd tell them it might be noisy and might seem pretty Motel 6ish...At POR I'd tell them there is no restaurant there anymore...if we're taking Disney transportation I'll tell them the busses may be crowded and we may have to let some go by. Under promise and over deliver. Cause really, a bad day at WDW, for us has alway beat a good day at home.
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

lockedoutlogic Guest

Well....you guys are getting your wish on the second pool at AKL in about a week....enjoy

As far as why they didn't have more than one before.....you covered it: the animals take up the room and putting in pools pushed the animals farther away from the building....which was the original point anyway....

As far as the existing pool.....it's pretty nice if you look at it compared to the others on property.....it's one of only 4 current zero entry pools....it is pretty large - though does crowd....and it has the convenience of having close access to food, drink, and all the other amenitites.

The lobby is a personal choice.....i see AKL called "dingy", Wilderness Lodge called "majestic".....

both were designed by the same architect....both are great in their own ways....

To each his own....

My personal belief: people don't like the african theme.....they really haven't since day 1....it's kinda obvious. the reasons why are largely unknown...but i think most have the same suspicions

Post Thanks / Like

Though I have never stayed there Saratoga just does not appeal to me....can't say why, just don't like the feel of it. Hate is a pretty stronge word and I can't say I have ever had a bad enough experience to hate a resort!! I am after all in Disney World!!
    Deb
    2012 Jan ALSM
    2011 July POFQ
    2010 July POR
    2009-Oct 3 days POFQ
    2009-June POFQ
    2008-Aug OKW
    2007-June WL
    2007-Jan POFQ
    2006-July Polynesian
    2005-June OKW
    2004-July BCV
    2004-Jan off site
    2003-July FWC
    2003-Dec/Jan CS
    2002-June OKW
    2000-July POFQ
    1999-July OKW
    1998-July OKW
    Have a Disney Day!!!

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDER View Post
    I totaly agree with you on those counts i couldnt believe the size of pool and and i a 2nd one is defiantly needed . What we found scarey was on the guest viewing points you could see right into the guests rooms thus no privacy

You can see into rooms from public areas at practically every WDW resort....

Try not to think too much about it - my recommendation

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    You can see into rooms from public areas at practically every WDW resort....

Try not to think too much about it - my recommendation
    Everyone to there own .Thats why disney have made up so many different theme hotels . I think the AKL is just too dark and for me they should have brighten it up on the colour scheme as Africa in general is one of the most colourful places on earth and the imagineeers made a huge mistake here .

As for your comment on the public rooms ...You maybe right but at the AKL this was far the worst ive ever seen and what made it even worse this was a place that was encouraging public viewing .Thus more thought should have been put in to the rooms nearby .

When we looked over the DVC we looked at Bay Lake and AKL Villas and again we said that the AKL was to dark so we went for the Bay Lake instead . Overall what makes this thread so interesting that its all down to personal taste
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by castlelady36 View Post
    Though I have never stayed there Saratoga just does not appeal to me....can't say why, just don't like the feel of it. Hate is a pretty stronge word and I can't say I have ever had a bad enough experience to hate a resort!! I am after all in Disney World!!
    Saratoga has no feel....

there in lies the problem. It was basically disney's version of building with duct tape....

they took old buildings...used some...knocked down others....built new units around the center....crammed a large outdoor pool where there wasn't really space for it....

they had a large spa....and a clubhouse to a golf course already there....threw up one of their bad idea food/shopping fronts

They they threw on some pastel paint and put up a statue of a horse...

viola!...upstate new york....

Post Thanks / Like

I hate all of them because I am not AT any of them at this time
    May your lines be short; the magic be plenty; and may you always remember to gather your belongings before exiting your vacation.

And many others ongoing....
    Poly/AKL Dec '09
    CSR: Dec '02
    WL: Dec '01
    WL: Oct '00
    BW: Oct '99
    Offsite(blech): '93

Post Thanks / Like

I can't say I HATE any of them. CBR isn't my favorite, but I don't hate or even dislike it. It is just somewhere we won't stay at again, if given other choices.

Poly--2010. POR 2010
    Poly and CR 2011
    POR- 2009
    Grand Floridian-2009
    Wilderness Lodge-2008
    Polynesian-2008
    Contemporary-2007
    Wilderness Lodge-2006 & 2006
    Off-Site-2006
    POR- YC POR 2005

CBR- 2004

Post Thanks / Like

No hate comming from me. I have stayed at POFQ and loved it there, I have also done 3 trips to POP and loved it there too.

I don't think I would like the All Stars as they share a bus...but I think I may be getting to be a "resort snob" because as far as that goes, the last time I stayed at POP I made a vow to myself that the next time I visited WDW I would stay in a deluxe resort.

Well I did it!!!! I had originally tried to get the Contemporary for our May trip, but it was all booked in the GV catagory...so I ended up with the Grand Floridian.

You will not see me (or my dd7 or mom) complaining one single bit!!!! No way...it is going to be wonderful staying at a monorail resort after 3 years with a value resort.

My next vow is to try the Contemporary & Poly.

Post Thanks / Like

We were upgrated to the CR and I really hated it. We had to walk a long time to get anywhere you wanted to go. I honesty would never stay there. It just does not have the Disney feel to it. I love the all star sports, to me the other resorts are more fun.
    I love the Jonas Brothers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mendelson View Post
    Under promise and over deliver. Cause really, a bad day at WDW, for us has alway beat a good day at home.
    Excellent plan and excellent attitude! I always try to underpromise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDER View Post

LOL - well THAT puts a new spin on "guest viewing" areas. Hey, it might even be more interesting than watching the animals! ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    LOL - well THAT puts a new spin on "guest viewing" areas. Hey, it might even be more interesting than watching the animals! ;-)
    Nice one
    Now suddenly AKL is now my favourite hahaha
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Coronado Springs....my husband did not enjoy the food court ...(I thought it was OK).
    Also the resort was very big to walk around....but I wouldn't say I hate it. I'd rather be there then freezing all winter at home

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GINNY69 View Post
    Pop Century was not a favorite of mine..I wouldn't stay there again..
    Totally agree with you there. POP for us was absolutely miserable & we won't stay there again. Gave it 3 tries & it struck out big time!

Me & DH
    AKL, CBR, WL & ASMu '08, POP '07 & '05, POR '01, AllStar Music, Sports & Movies & Ft. Wilderness - our fun homes away from home!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    they took old buildings...used some...knocked down others....built new units around the center....crammed a large outdoor pool where there wasn't really space for it....
    ???! Could you offer a few details about the old buildings and new? I don't know anything about the history of SSR.

I have noticed, though through several posts that you have an issue with it. It's very subtle, but if you look closely you pick up on it....

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

There are no resorts that I "hate". I really don't like to use that word in any instance. There are some that we probably won't stay in again. DH and my sis were disappointed in the few nights that we spent in the Ft. Wilderness Cabins. It was a little too far away and "roughing it" in DH's mind. I personally liked the cabins. The GF wasn't my favorite but DH and my oldest DD liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by thejens View Post
    I so agree about the Swan and Dolphin. I wouldn't mind them so much, but they totally destroy the Board Walk Beach Club illusion. They are just wrong there and I think Walt would be mortified. They may be perfectly nice inside.
    Just wanted to note that the S/D were in that location before the BW/BC/YC were built. The S/D were opened in Jan. 1990. BC/YC were opened in Nov. 1990 and BW wasn't opened until 1996. So when they were building the BW area they knew that the S/D would be obviously right next door. BTW, you can thank Eisner for the whole S/D thing. We really like staying there though.
    Poly: 00, 03 x 2, 04, 05, 07 x 2, 09 x 2, 10, 11
    CR: 01, 02 x 2, 04, 06 x 2, 10, 11, 12
    GF: 01, 04
    F.W. Cabin: 07
    S/D: 01, 02 x 2, 03, 06, 07, 08, 09
    WL: 16
    POR: 14, 15
    DLR: 08, 13

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

had always stayed at port orleans tried pop last trip never again! very crowded and loud.
    dizcrazymom3

offsite-1998
    dixielanding-2000
    port orleans riverside-2002
    pop century-2006
    port orleans riverside-2009

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe because it always been that, but I don't think the Swalphin looks out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by J.C.&ALI'SMOM View Post
    Just wanted to note that the S/D were in that location before the BW/BC/YC were built. The S/D were opened in Jan. 1990. BC/YC were opened in Nov. 1990 and BW wasn't opened until 1996. So when they were building the BW area they knew that the S/D would be obviously right next door. BTW, you can thank Eisner for the whole S/D thing. We really like staying there though.
    Actually from what I understand you can thank Eisner in regard to the Swalphin. The owners wanted to build a boring normal looking hotel and Eiser vetoed it. He demanded themed architecture, and I'm sure the result is better than what was originally planned.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: