Quantcast Expedition Everest

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Expedition Everest

Does anyone happen to know the height requirement on Expedition Everest? I ask because I am wondering if my 7 year old son will be tall enough to ride this one. I am not even sure if he will want to. My kids have never experience thrill rides before but he said that he wanted to try it so I am just trying to make sure he even can.
    Ohana means family, and family means no one gets left behind...or forgotten. --Lilo

Past Trips:
    June 2001 - Off Property
    April 2009 - POR
    Next trip:
    Dec 5- Dec 12 OFFSITE

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

44 inches.

Enjoy!
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter was 4 when she went on it and loved the ride but was sooo scared of the yeti she will not go on it. I would at least tell him that the yeti jumps out before he goes, so he knows and is prepaired for it. My DH said he was a little shocked by the Yeti as well.
    Yacht Club May 2015
    AoA Holiday 2013
    Pop Century May 2012, July 2011, May 2008, and May 2006
    All Star Music Sept 2007
    All Star Movies May 2006
    Many Trips as a Child Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Swan, Dolphin, and Board Walk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DANAM View Post
    My daughter was 4 when she went on it and loved the ride but was sooo scared of the yeti she will not go on it. I would at least tell him that the yeti jumps out before he goes, so he knows and is prepaired for it. My DH said he was a little shocked by the Yeti as well.
    You must have rode it when it was still fairly new. The yeti hasn't jumped at the coaster for at least a year or two. Last few times that I have ridden it, it has been put into "B" mode, which just has strobe lights projected on the yeti instead of the yeti actually moving towards you.
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David șoș

Post Thanks / Like

The yeti hasn't jumped at the coaster for at least a year or two.
    It was working last July when we visited . . .

I believe DS was 8 when they first opened Everest . . . and he absolutely loved it!

Now, he didn't try Tower of Terror until 10 . . . Go Figure!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWfanatic742 View Post
    You must have rode it when it was still fairly new. The yeti hasn't jumped at the coaster for at least a year or two.
    When we rode it January of this year...the yeti "jumped" out at us....
    Sam
    DVC owner at SSR/AKL
    Past Trips:
    POP: 4/15-23 08, 1/27-2/4 09, 12/2-12 09
    AKL SV: 4/25-5/4 12

Disneyland Hotel: 9/29-10/2,12/2-4 2011
    Upcoming:
    GCA 4/19-21 2013 Dream/WDW Oct 16th-26th 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm just unlucky then
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David șoș

Post Thanks / Like

The Yeti has not worked properly for over a year now. The arm that reaches out towards the train is actually no longer fully attached to his body and he has almost ripped himself from his foundations. They can only run him in the B show mode which consists of a static pose, a fan and strobe lights to give the illusion of movement. The worst part about it is they have no idea how to fix him and the company that built the figure is no longer in business. In order to replace the figure the attraction will have to be shut down for months. I wouldn't expect it fixed any time soon.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm just unlucky then
    You are lucky... The yeti hasn't been in A mode for over a year... I was there in October and got the strobe lights... Like JPL said, it would take months to fix.. Nevermind the company being out of business, Orlando's management won't shut the ride down while the numbers are still high... Heck, none of the other effects work either..
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I knew I wasn't going crazy . I'm just glad that I got to see it in A mode the first time that I rode it, because it does make a pretty big difference to the ending then just the strobe lights.
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Well at least I know my DS will be tall enough. It is so funny...he is looking so forward to doing all the thrill rides but my 10 yr DD says she absolutely will not do them.
    Ohana means family, and family means no one gets left behind...or forgotten. --Lilo

Past Trips:
    June 2001 - Off Property
    April 2009 - POR
    Next trip:
    Dec 5- Dec 12 OFFSITE

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Insanity Clause. Glad your son will be tall enough to ride Everest during your trip. It's a thrill (especially that last drop out of the mountain--whooosh!)... I am sorry about the throng of posters here who are trying to bring down your 7-year-old son's experience before he's even had a chance to ride it. Trust me, the coaster is still as wild and as fast regardless the "mode" of the Yeti, SO ENJOY!

To: WDWfanatic742, JPL, DizFrk2002... It's always somebody's first time!

Post Thanks / Like

A brief thought--this is obviously entirely up to you, and you know your son best, but if you have any doubts about how he might handle thrill rides, you might want to try him on Thunder Mountain first, which for my money is the tamest coaster. I'm not a huge coaster person, and I did okay on Everest, but I was definitely shaking a bit when I got off. If he loves it, then full speed ahead for Everest. But if not, you'll know Everest is probably not the ride for him.

As for your DD...I wouldn't do the rides either when I was her age!

Post Thanks / Like

You must have rode it when it was still fairly new. The yeti hasn't jumped at the coaster for at least a year or two. Last few times that I have ridden it, it has been put into "B" mode, which just has strobe lights projected on the yeti instead of the yeti actually moving towards you.
    Yes, it was when it was brand new. Is there anyone we can ask before we board what mode it's in.
    Yacht Club May 2015
    AoA Holiday 2013
    Pop Century May 2012, July 2011, May 2008, and May 2006
    All Star Music Sept 2007
    All Star Movies May 2006
    Many Trips as a Child Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Swan, Dolphin, and Board Walk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cgriff View Post
    Hi Insanity Clause. Glad your son will be tall enough to ride Everest during your trip. It's a thrill (especially that last drop out of the mountain--whooosh!)... I am sorry about the throng of posters here who are trying to bring down your 7-year-old son's experience before he's even had a chance to ride it. Trust me, the coaster is still as wild and as fast regardless the "mode" of the Yeti, SO ENJOY!
    Previous posters were not trying to bring down anyone's experience, just clarifying whether the yeti animated arm was working or not. Information is what we're all about here on INTERCOT.

I agree that the ride is exciting, no matter what. To the original poster--I am glad that your son is looking forward to riding it. I'm sure he'll have a blast!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Previous posters were not trying to bring down anyone's experience, just clarifying whether the yeti animated arm was working or not. Information is what we're all about here on INTERCOT.
    The original poster only wanted to know the height requirement of the ride.
    [By the way, Belster deserves some sort of commendation for answering the question just 3 seconds after the original poster asked it! YOU GO, BELSTER!]
    Last edited by pjbs35a; 04-01-2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: personal attack

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to say that I think having the Yeti in mode B with the strobe lights will be less intense incase you were worried about that being an issue for your 7 year old. I think the Yeti is still really cool and I like the post that suggested filling your 7 year old in on the fact that the Yeti will make an appearance and looks very much alive (even though the arm does not move...)

Post Thanks / Like

If your son isn't sure about the ride, you might try watching the utube videos before you go. My son watched them for all the rides he wasn't sure about. He decided against this ride, because he was afraid of the Yeti. But, he finally rode all the other thrill rides and loved them. He was 8 at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

If he has never been on a thrill ride of any kind (especially a coaster), he will either love EE, and say "let's do it again!" or he will be terrified and won't get on another coaster for years, if ever.

For a seven year old, I'd think about starting him out on Goofy's Barnstormer in Toontown Fair at MK, and if he likes that, then try Big Thunder Mountain RR in Frontierland. If he likes that one, he should be OK with EE.

And if he loves EE, then someday he'll like riding the Hulk, or Dueling Dragons, or other really intense coasters at other parks.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

EE is an excellent ride, and is my favorite! It can be intense though. I agree that you might want your son to ride Thunder Mtn and Goofy's Barnstormer first just to see how he does. You might also want to warn him about the part of EE where it looks like the track has ended and you are going to fall off the mountain. It feels very real on the ride and could scare him if he doesn't know about it ahead of time. He might also want to know that it goes backwards and it gets dark.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: