Quantcast Does it drive you crazy when you hear someone call an attraction by the wrong name?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Does it drive you crazy when you hear someone call an attraction by the wrong name?

Since HM is my favorite attraction, it drives me crazy when someone calls it the "Haunted House". I have never said anything to those people, but a part of me is screaming inside "IT'S THE HAUNTED MANSION!!!" . It's one thing to abbreviate the name (Big Thunder, Small World, Tiki Room), but to out and out call it the wrong thing makes me crazy!!!

What attractions have you overheard others saying wrong?
    Grim Grinning Ghosts come out to socialize.
    Nov/Dec 2001 POR-early 10th anniversary
    Oct/Nov 2002 Poly/AKL-late 10th anniversary
    Dec 2003 POR
    Nov 2007 CBR
    Oct/Nov 2008 CBR/AKL
    Nov/Dec 2019? I HOPE!!!!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Not so much. But it does drive me nuts when someone refers to WDW as Disneyland, or when they refer to MK as Disneyland. Of course, correcting them only furthers to identify myself as a Disney geek.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

I can't think of any that really bother me as far as attractions go. I was told, years ago, that it's not Cinderella's Castle, but Cinderella Castle. So I smile when I see it listed wrong, but it doesn't bother me. I think that one falls into Disney Geek territory, too. It's nothing like calling the Haunted Mansion the Haunted House. That's just silly.

My peeve is with getting dining establishment names wrong. Isn't it odd that one doesn't bother me, but the other does? I get a little crazy when I see O'hana instead of 'Ohana (like it's an Irish pub? haha). Or when people say Narcoosse or Narcoosee instead of Narcoossee's. Or similarly, when people add a possessive when there shouldn't be one (Boma's instead of Boma, etc). But I'm understanding, too. Why should everyone know the exact name and spelling for everything? I make mistakes, too. So I just let it go and hope someone cuts me the same slack when I mess up.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

My Disney pet peeve is when people refer to the MK as "Disney", the other parks aren't "Disney" to them
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, although it does make me laugh sometimes.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guilty of doing this myself. We call the TTA the "people mover" My DS who is now 12, started calling it that when he was 3 and the name just stuck for us.
    April 2015 - CSR
    May 2013 CSR
    December 2011 Bay Lake Towers
    May 2009 off site
    November 2007 off site
    December 2004 off site
    October 2003 off site
    Feburary 2002 Poly
    December 2000 CBR
    October 1999 CSR
    October 1994 off site
    May 1990 off site
    May 1984 off site
    November 1979 off site

Post Thanks / Like

That does drive me nuts...or if someone could less to be at Disney and lets everyone aournd them know it with comments..

My first time on Kilamanjo safari..when we passing the Elephant yards and at the exact moment...One of the elephants come out at the same time our truck passes by..I hear.."well is that not a surprise..who would have thought that would have happend"..in a sarcastic tone....

Or better yet.....Someone asks you..." Were is the Shrek ride at?"

Dean
    Twitter = DVC5571

Apr 04--First trip ever--30th Birthday Present
    Dec 05--Off Site (Honeymoon)
    Oct 07-- On Stie POP
    Feb 09-- Off Site -AK day trip
    Sept 10 -- Onsite -Coronodo Springs

Member of the Tommorowland Metro-Retro Historical Society

Post Thanks / Like

When people talk about DHS and think it is at Universals. Yes I have heard this. But is was before they changed the name, it was still called MGM studios then.
    * stayed at more then once
    Yacht Club, POR, POFQ,CSR,All Star Sports*,
    CBR,Pop Century*,CR,WL,FortWilderness* Animal Kingdom lodge,All Star Music*.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL...it doesn't make me mad at all to hear people mess up attraction names. But I can tell by the caliber of their mistake whether or not I'm dealing with a "true" Disney fan, or someone who just went there once and liked it.

I am guilty of the "O'hana" blunder mentioned by a PP. I know the right way to spell it, but my brain wants it to be Irish, I suppose.

Couldn't tell you how many times a friend or family member has asked, "Ya'll driving back down ta that Disneyland this year?" -(We're in the South)...to which I want to reply, "Nooooo, Disneyland is 3,000 miles away from here, HOWEVER, we are indeed driving to Disney World"...but I just let it go.

Here are some of the blunders I have heard over the years:

"Haunted House" for the Haunted Mansion
    "Terrible Tower" for Tower of Terror
    "Jumbo" for Dumbo
    "Carousel of Electricity" LOL..this was my aunt's name for CoP

and MY ALL TIME FAVORITE overheard as we waited for the afternoon parade in Frontierland..."Let's go over to that Crunchy Bears Jamboree after this!"...LOL

First visit 1984 "Love At First Sight!"

Returns to the Mansion:

2003-Offsite
    2004-POP Century
    2005-POP Century
    2006-POP Century
    2007-POP Century
    2008-POP Century

AND...Demember 2009! POP Century!

Portland, ME (1421 miles from the Magic!!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    My Disney pet peeve is when people refer to the MK as "Disney", the other parks aren't "Disney" to them
    lol! Me too!!

When I tell someone I am going to Disney World and they ask if I am going to do just 'Disney World', or if I am going to do the 'one with all the countries' too. Then, having to explain, that Disney WORLD is all four parks, etc., not just Magic Kingdom.

I guess it takes a Disney-geek to know a Disney-geek, huh?
    "Veggie, veggie! Fruit, fruit!"
    Next Trip: April 2013 - POP
    Previous Trips: 11/12 – ASMu; 8/12 – ASMu; 2/12 - CSR; 12/08; 9/08; 5/08; 2/08 - POFQ; ‘06; ‘05; ’04- ASMu; ‘02-Offsite; ‘01-ASMo; ‘00; ‘99; ‘97-SOG; ‘96-FW Cabin; ‘94-CBR; ‘92-CBR; ‘90-CBR; ‘88-Poly; ‘86-Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    I get a little crazy when I see O'hana instead of 'Ohana (like it's an Irish pub? haha).
    Me too! I remember seeing a post where someone pointed that out before and since then I always notice when it's wrong. Before that I was oblivious and probably spelled it wrong myself a couple of times.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    . . . My peeve is with getting dining establishment names wrong. Isn't it odd that one doesn't bother me, but the other does? I get a little crazy when I see O'hana instead of 'Ohana (like it's an Irish pub? haha).
    Although I don't lose any sleep over it, people misnaming 'Ohana bugs me too. I bet if you did a search right here on the Intercot boards, you'd find the vast majority of people (many of them experienced WDW guests) refer to the dining establishment at the Polynesian Resort as O'hana's. You know, the Irish pub in the South Pacific.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Epcot Kingdom.................
    Aug 73 - Jun 74 Off Site
    Jun 75 - Jul 84 Dutch Inn
    Oct 78 - Nov 88 Poly - Honeymoon(88)
    May 97 - May 99 - Jul 00 - Jun 05 - Sep 11
    Sep 16 - Sep18
    Dixie Landings
    Feb 02 CBR
    Feb 03 WL
    Jun 07 POP by MJ
    July 09 POFQ through Magical Journeys
    Sep 10 OKW MNSSHP by MJ
    Sep 13 Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Hehe, my DH calls it "Terror Tower" all the time. I know he's not purposefully doing it, and I've corrected him multiple times, but it's stuck now. Oh well, I just chuckle and move on.
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!

Post Thanks / Like

I had a coworker who called the MK "Disney World" all the time...as in, did you go to Disney World or just to EPCOT? AAAHHHHH!!!! My wife and I were annual passholders at the time so we went frequently and though I corrected her a few times she just never understood.

My wife's grandma once said that they went to MGM and went to "that show Fantastic!" of course meaning Fantasmic. That one cracked me up.
    Off-Site - 86, 90, 94, 99, 01, 03, Jan 04, Jul 04, May 05, Dec 05
    96 Polynesian
    May 04, Nov 10 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 04, Apr 05, Jan 06, May 09, Oct 15 Coronado Springs
    Dec 04, Dec 13 Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct 05, Nov 07 Caribbean Beach
    Oct 12 Bay Lake Towers

Next trip - ??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    [...]it does drive me nuts when someone refers to WDW as Disneyland [...]
    This is my ultimate pet peeve! A good majority of people around Northern Indiana think Disneyland is the ONLY Disney theme park, and that it's located in Florida

I make it a point to kindly correct them

Other than that, I may slightly wince when I hear a ride/show/restaurant/ect. incorrectly named, but it's nothing to get upset over.
    Kimberly a.k.a. Your Magical Guide
    Visited WDW:
    03/2018 - POFQ (Bldg. 2)
    05/2017 - POR (Oak Manor - Royal Guest Room)
    09/2011 - POR (Oak Manor)
    03/2009 - CBR (Martinique)
    03/2007 - Offsite
    03/2004 - Offsite
    03/2003 - Offsite
    03/1998 - Offsite
    10/1995 - Offsite
    07/1988 - Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

I admit, it gets on my nerves when people call the rides or the parks by the wrong name. Kind of bring back the time I was talking to a former cast member at Epcot, while waiting in line, and she said it always got her when people would ask her "what time is the 3 o'clock parade?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barbiegirl314 View Post
    I'm guilty of doing this myself. We call the TTA the "people mover" My DS who is now 12, started calling it that when he was 3 and the name just stuck for us.

We have always called it the people mover, guess it's because it used to be called Wedway People Mover!
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

My mom drove me nuts a couple of weeks ago calling Test Track "Fast Track" all week. I corrected her a time or two then gave up. I think when she figured out it drove me nuts, she did it on purpose. I'm sure I cringed whenever she did it!
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Other Side

The other side of this are Disney fans who are fan-natical about using the exactly correct names, 'Ohana or oHana or o'hana or ohana's or o Hana or oh for Pete's sake.

And the fans who are such frequent flyers that they have slang names for things like "Oh sure, we always have breakfast at Cindy's when we're at the Poly"

Then add the abbreviations: My DFIL wants to know how long it takes to get from CBR to MK for EMH when you have an ADR at CP and will WtP be there?

No, the only time newbies names make me crazy is when I can't figure out what they're saying. When a newbie says "train" I ask "Do you mean the one that's like a roller coaster or the one that goes around the park?

Did I mention my DW? She says her favorite ride at WDW is Spiderman.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: