Quantcast Characters in Flight balloon ride (Merged Threads) - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Would it be possible to pm me the site or link also?

We are going in June and are planning on doing the balloon ride. I am sure the dd would love to see pictures prior to the trip (dw and me also..)

thanks,
    1986 and 1991 offsite
    1998,2000,2001,2003,2004,2006,2008 movies
    1999, 2002 sports
    2005, 2007, 2009, 2011 pop
    2008 Riverside (Christmas Parade)
    2010 CB (25th anniversary)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw this up on Sunday when I went in to work; I tried twice to paste the photo, but I cannot:

Iconic New Attraction Takes Flight Over Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World Resort

The fun soars to new heights at Downtown Disney West Side at Walt Disney World Resort with an iconic new tethered balloon that takes Guests on ascents of up to 400 feet above the waterfront.

Characters In Flight operated by Aerophile is a 72-foot-diameter balloon with a whimsical design featuring silhouettes of a dozen of Disney's "flying characters" — such as Mary Poppins, Peter Pan and Dumbo. For each six-minute trip, approximately 30 Guests will enjoy an eagle's-eye view of the expansive Walt Disney World Resort in the vibrantly colored balloon thanks to its enclosed volume of 210,000 cubic feet of lighter-than-air gas. The ascents, by day or night, provide Guests with an unparalleled, 360-degree view of up to 10 miles and the attraction reinforces Walt Disney World's commitment to providing new, one-of-a-kind experiences.

Guests board a gondola beneath the 105-foot-high balloon from a landing platform on Village Lake at the end of the main promenade at Downtown Disney West Side. Riders can catch flights seven days a week. Hours Sunday–Thursday are 10:30 a.m.–11 p.m., while ascents Friday–Saturday are 10:30 a.m.–midnight. Tickets ($16 for ages 10–up and $10 for ages 3–9) can be purchased on site. Availability is on first-come, first-serve basis.
    1974-1983 WDW day trips*92 WDW *94 Contemporary*97 WDW*97 Poly*98 DL PAC*99 DL DLH*2000 POFQ & CR*01 WDW*02 DLR DLH*02 WDW*03 POR*03 WDW 06 DVC Member*06 DLR*07 VBR*07 OKW*07 VWL*08 GCH*09 BLT*09 AKV*10 OKW*10 DLP-DH*11 BLT*11 AKL*12 BWV*14 Aulani*15 VGC*17 VGC*SDL TSH*17 TDR DAH*18 BC

Post Thanks / Like

i can not wait to do this with dh on our upcoming trip in 10 days, woo hoo.

POFQ - November 2014
    POFQ - April 2013
    POFQ - February 2012
    CSR - January/February 2011
    CSR - April/May 2010
    CSR - November 2009
    CSR - April/May 2009
    POP - December 2008
    Contemporary - October 2007 *Honeymoon*
    POP - February 2006
    Poly - 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1992

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the post, hadn't heard of it...hope to give it a try.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if it's been posted elsewhere but Jeff Lange's site has some nice aerial views from CiF. Some of the pics were taken with a zoom and you can see the Contemporary, ToT, & SSE. The view is amazing!!!!
    Can't wait til Aug/Sept to do this.
    ºoº Joe ºoº
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    Press Releases and Pictures have been posted in the News forum here:

Characters in Flight Press Release & Pictures
    I'm bumping up FIgment (Jason's) article link with the specs and a picture of it.
    ~~Have a Disney Day~~
    ºoº WDW 9-83, 9-84, 9-88, 9-93, 5-94, 5-95, 5-96, 9-99, 9-07
    ºoº TDL 6-83, 9-91
    ºoº DLR many, many

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to do both day and night flights if I have time (and I'm brave enough) during my next trip.
    Gina a.k.a. cheshirecollector
    VMK name: Venetia

Next Trip: TBA

Post Thanks / Like

That actually sounds like its pretty neat, and the price isn't too "sky high".
    Chip has the chocolate chip nose.
    Dale had too much ale so his nose is red.

WDW Disney Vacations - December 1999, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

I'm definitely going to try this. Would like to do both day and night flights, but I'll take what I can get. I've decided I'm actually going to bring our bulkier camera with the higher zoom for this.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.redorbit.com/news/general...ore/index.html

Just to show what can happen with these balloons. A balloon like this was in Baltimore and due to this accident, the balloon is no longer in Baltimore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RBrooksC View Post
    http://www.redorbit.com/news/general...ore/index.html

Just to show what can happen with these balloons. A balloon like this was in Baltimore and due to this accident, the balloon is no longer in Baltimore.
    I refuse to look. I'm already afraid of heights and also have slight anxiety when getting on certain rides/attractions but I'm looking forward to this and don't want to get any crazy ideas running through my head that will make me nervous
    ºoº Joe ºoº
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if I want to look at the article or not...I'm looking forward to this and know my mom and sister will be too for our trip in December. But I'm sure I won't be able to help myself and will end up looking anyway so thanks in advance for the info! Does anybody know what you ride in (is it like a traditional basket (and if it is please tell me there's a door so I don't have to hop over the top!))
    ºoº Tiffany ºoº

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

I really want to do this balloon ride when we go on vacation next week - but I went ahead and read the article posted. It really wasn't that bad of an issue. the balloon didn't crash and there were only minor injuries. Disney seems to already have some contingency plans for when there are winds - either it goes up with less people or it doesn't go up at all. The wind gusts just caught the balloon in the above article off guard. It had been operating since 2001 with no other incidents.

I don't believe Disney of all companies would put this out there if they didn't feel they could operate it safely

also it is NOT a traditional basket that you go up in. It is a large circle that is like a walkway a few feet wide. there is a wall part way up and then netting so you are not looking out or able to lean over or anything. you have to look out between the holes in the netting.

For anyone that wants to check out what the whole ride is like from start to finish check out the Jeff Lange web page - he has videos up of the take off, while it is up in the air, and the landing. It is a pretty awesome view up there.

If I end up doing it next week I will post when we get back!!!

Disneyfan328
    Pittsburgh PA
    3/97 - All Star Music
    9/07 Port Orleans Riverside
    May 2009All Star Movie~Wedding Anniversary!
    January 2012 All Star Movies
    December 2013 - All Star Movies to celebrate birthdays!
    Planning our December 2015 "Paige's Sweet 16" Birthday Trip -Art of Animation!!!

Post Thanks / Like

disneyfan328, I can't wait to hear of your experience!!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

This seems like a lot of fun!! It would be really neat to see fireworks going off while you are up there!
    * Yacht Club * Pop Century * WDW Dolphin * Beach Club * Port Orleans French Quarter * Old Key West *

Next trip:
    November 2013 Caribbean Beach Resort - Wine and Dine Half Marathon

February 2014 Princess Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

Just back. Saw the balloon, didn't get a chance to do it due to wind conditions. It goes up very high. The view must be incredible. Our first night, we had a room overlooking Downtown Disney at the Hilton. We couldn't believe that we could see Epcot, the Contemporary, Tower of Terror all around us, too. We watched the balloon going up and down (and fireworks all around the world, IllumiNations and Wishes), and that balloon went up higher than our top floor balcony. It stopped at night before fireworks, but again, I think it was a wind thing.

I'm contemplating Lisa's earlier question about going up day or night. After seeing the potential views at both times of day, I think you can't go wrong either way. It would be pretty awesome in light or dark, so it really just depends on when you plan to hit Downtown Disney and if the conditions are agreeable. It's incredibly large and they seem to be very cautious about potential wind.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this from our resort last Tuesday. I had no idea what it was! Now I know..........
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

We were there last weekend and saw the balloon from the boat from OKW. It was not operating due to wind conditions. My 10 yr old dd was very disappointed. She said "it's not even windy!", so they are definitely erring on the side of caution, unlike the Baltimore one. I had not yet heard anything about it, so I did some research, on here, as well as other sites. Can't wait to try it in August! I do believe it will be closed frequently, however, due to conditions in these parts.
    Check out my pics, maps and brochures from 1975 on my home page!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: