Quantcast unnecessary wheelchair use - vent

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default unnecessary wheelchair use - vent

i know this has been discussed ad nauseum but i just have to bring this up...

we got back sat night from an 8 day trip. there were SO many wheelchairs (motorized and non-motorized). it was ridiculous. and most of the people in them were huge.

i understand that some people need to be in a wheelchair. but when DH and i were at hollywood and vine this guy in a wheelchair rolled up to the stairs and i offered to help him. he said, "oh i don't need this wheelchair, i just don't feel like walking all day."

really disgusting. and he had a 7 year old boy with him who was severely obese. it really is a shame.
    1/07 - POP : 1/08 - POR : 9/08 - POFQ :3/09 - POFQ : 1/10 - POFQ : 9/10 - BWV First Trip Home! : 12/10 - SSR : 1/11 - THV!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This is one of those very controversial topics. I've seen this get ugly on other forums so I'll just say this... yes there are many people who use them just to be lazy (as the one you ran into) but be careful not to assume that because they are overweight and in a wheelchair that they are an example of that. Some people are overweight because of the disability that put them in the wheelchair to begin with (little tough to exercise if you can barely walk). Not all disabilities are obvious to the eye. Some people may look 100% fine but they have a very valid reason for using the chairs.
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)

Once You Go, You Know
    Visit the World you used to know...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    This is one of those very controversial topics. I've seen this get ugly on other forums so I'll just say this... yes there are many people who use them just to be lazy (as the one you ran into) but be careful not to assume that because they are overweight and in a wheelchair that they are an example of that. Some people are overweight because of the disability that put them in the wheelchair to begin with (little tough to exercise if you can barely walk). Not all disabilities are obvious to the eye. Some people may look 100% fine but they have a very valid reason for using the chairs.
    understood. i guess really i was just venting at that ONE person openly admitting to being lazy.

that's not fair to the people who really need one.
    1/07 - POP : 1/08 - POR : 9/08 - POFQ :3/09 - POFQ : 1/10 - POFQ : 9/10 - BWV First Trip Home! : 12/10 - SSR : 1/11 - THV!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I don't want to perpetuate this topic, particularly, because it's not one of my favorites.

But I will say that, on our recent trip to Disneyland, I had a local tell me that it's very common practice out there for a member of a party to rent a scooter and share the costs out over the group, then use the scooter to get front-of-the-line access to the rides.

This was told to me in the context of, "You know how to get front-of-the-line access to all the rides, right?"

When I asked if this person meant Fastpass, he said, "No, I mean with the wheelchairs and scooters?" I sort of played dumb and asked him to elaborate, which is when he gave me the details as to how it works and how common it is among a segment of frequent DL visitors.

When we arrived and were waiting in line to rent a stroller, there were not one, not two, but three families in line with us all openly discussing who was going to rent the scooter, pooling their money, etc.

So while I totally agree you can never tell just from looking at someone whether or not they're truly disabled, I will say that I think the abuse rate is much higher than some folks give credit for.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I try not to judge something that I truly don't understand.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    This is one of those very controversial topics. I've seen this get ugly on other forums ... Not all disabilities are obvious to the eye. Some people may look 100% fine but they have a very valid reason for using the chairs.
    This same topic has, in the past, gotten "ugly" right here as well.

BamaJenn's last two sentences say it all; let's not assume that there are more abusers than legitimate users, and keep it civil, please.

Thank you!
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

I don't judge people who might legitimately need a wheelchair but the number of people who openly admit to abusing the privilege is ridiculous. We one waited in line for Beauty and the Beast with a couple who had a wheelchair. They were raving about what a good idea it was because they could now get front row seats.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I don't want to perpetuate this topic, particularly, because it's not one of my favorites.

But I will say that, on our recent trip to Disneyland, I had a local tell me that it's very common practice out there for a member of a party to rent a scooter and share the costs out over the group, then use the scooter to get front-of-the-line access to the rides.

This was told to me in the context of, "You know how to get front-of-the-line access to all the rides, right?"

When I asked if this person meant Fastpass, he said, "No, I mean with the wheelchairs and scooters?" I sort of played dumb and asked him to elaborate, which is when he gave me the details as to how it works and how common it is among a segment of frequent DL visitors.

When we arrived and were waiting in line to rent a stroller, there were not one, not two, but three families in line with us all openly discussing who was going to rent the scooter, pooling their money, etc.

So while I totally agree you can never tell just from looking at someone whether or not they're truly disabled, I will say that I think the abuse rate is much higher than some folks give credit for.

Are you kidding me?
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

On our last trip I saw this girl probably in her early 20's using an electric scooter she was on the phone very loudly telling someone that she was walking around Walt Disney world then she said well not walking she had rented a scooter because why burn the extra calories if she didn't have to.....I was thinking you have got to be kidding me.....

Post Thanks / Like

We also just came back (at 2 am!!!) and my mother used a wheelchair this trip. I have to say that Disney staff is wonderful at handling guests in wheelchairs. The front of the line access is nice but doesn't happen on every attraction and it's great to have that little perk with everything else you have to put up with in dealing with a WC. It's so hard to try to steer through crowds, shops, restaurants, and lines. You have to go out of your way to find a place to cross the streets with sidewalks, to find ramps in places where there are stairs, and the attitudes of some other guests can be downright disturbing. My mother would have much rather been able to walk with the rest of us than be pushed around all day - she felt like a burden although we all kept telling her she wasn't. It is extremely tiring pushing it around all day, especially in the heat of mid-day. I know that I'll never look at the situation quite the same again and I won't be one of those judging anyone else unless they outright admit to being lazy like the guy in the OP's post.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmmm. I just spent a week at Disneyland and saw very few scooters.

This doesn't make sense - with the size of the park. These folks would die at WDW.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mouseketeer mom View Post
    Are you kidding me?
    Sadly, I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by PolyGirl40 View Post
    Hmmmmmm. I just spent a week at Disneyland and saw very few scooters.

This doesn't make sense - with the size of the park. These folks would die at WDW.
    It's not a size issue, it's a "we want to get to the front of the line without waiting" issue.

Were you there on the weekend? Because I would expect with it being locals allegedly doing it that it would really only happen over weekends.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I thought WDW and DL were preventing this down by requiring a Guest Assistance Card be issued. You have to go to guest relations and explain your need, with appropriate medical documentation. No longer does a wheelchair mean front of the line access.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy View Post
    i know this has been discussed ad nauseum but i just have to bring this up...

we got back sat night from an 8 day trip. there were SO many wheelchairs (motorized and non-motorized). it was ridiculous. and most of the people in them were huge.

i understand that some people need to be in a wheelchair. but when DH and i were at hollywood and vine this guy in a wheelchair rolled up to the stairs and i offered to help him. he said, "oh i don't need this wheelchair, i just don't feel like walking all day."

really disgusting. and he had a 7 year old boy with him who was severely obese. it really is a shame.
    First off, I don't really see what the people's size have to do with anything. I find it offensive that it should even need to be brought up in the point you were trying to make, When it could have just been a statement about all the wheelchairs, and not what size the people were who were using them. And secondly like other people have said. Not every disability you can see just by looking at the person. Both of my parents "look normal" but they both have health problems that keep them from walking the parks all day. So does that mean that because they "look normal" they should stay at the hotel or push their body's to a point when they have to be in agonizing pain all day, As to not "offend" other guest who don't think they "look" sick enough for a wheelchair. My father has a condition called Ankylosing Spondylitis, Which to put it simply means his spine is fused together and he has sever mobility issue's, The littlest walking makes him feel like he climbed a mountain. But to everyone else he looks fine. And my mother has a pace maker and can't over exert herself walking because it causes her to pass out. Again, She looks normal. So just because you see some who "looks normal" doesn't mean they don't have a condition that you can not see. And just because someone who is in your words "huge" is in a wheelchair doesn't mean it is because they are lazy and could use the extra excersize and should just get up and walk. Many people have many different problems and disability's and shouldn't have to feel that because they don't look sick or handicap that they should miss going to the park or push their bodies. All because they don't want to get the snide looks from people. Maybe on your next visit you could take a few minutes out of you day and sit and watch how the majority of people treat people in wheelchairs and how rude and the lack of respect they have for them, When they walk in front of them, Or give them dirty looks because they don't think they should be in a wheelchair. And then maybe you will think twice about throwing everyone into a group together and assume that unless you can see their problem, then they are just lazy and don't have a medical problem. I think everyone should have the joy of experiencing Disney no matter what problem or disability they have. Because it is the one place that they can feel like a kid, and forget about what health problems they have, If even for a short moment while on a ride. So please keep that in mind
    I know this was very lengthy but it is a topic close to my heart and I needed to speak for my family and anyone else who has had to deal with this first hand.

Post Thanks / Like

That's the whole problem, you don't know who is and who isn't abusing the system, it's called sterotyping. i know we all remember that from school. People hear that the wheelchairs are getting abused so they look at it as if all in wheelchairs are abusers. Which isn't right but it happens.

I thought WDW and DL were preventing this down by requiring a Guest Assistance Card be issued. You have to go to guest relations and explain your need, with appropriate medical documentation. No longer does a wheelchair mean front of the line access.

That's a very good idea !!
    16 trips to "The World"

Last trip - April 2018 - Polynesian
    Next trip to WDW - December 2018 - Beach club

"Disneyworld will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there's imagination left in the world."

Post Thanks / Like

Were you there on the weekend?
    Yep.

They must do things differently out there. I've been with wheelchair/scooter folk at WDW and, with a few exceptions, we all wait in the same line.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see it being that much of an advantage to be in a wheelchair other than the rest factor. We often travel to WDW with my mother who uses a scooter and for most rides we wait the same amount of time. Sometimes there is a handicap line that branches off, but it's not always faster. There are some shows where we get to sit up front (FOLK), but there are other shows where wheelchair seating is in the nose bleed section (Beauty and the Beast). It just seems like the wait times probably balance out. Couple that with the extra time it takes you to navigate the parks with a chair searching out elevators and ramps and actually traveling with a scooter or chair is kind of a hassle. I would never ever say that to my mom and I'm so glad that she is able to come along, but in my mind it's not a perk.

That said it is shocking to hear not that people abuse the chairs, but that they are seemingly so open about it. Have they no shame?
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that's a new one for me. Not only are they abusing the system, but they are probably taking a scooter away from someone who really does need it. I wonder how likely Disney is to do something about it since they're getting the money for the rental either way. If they start asking for some sort of documentation, people will get upset about that too.

I guess it really is about riding as many rides as possible for some as opposed to spending time with their families.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I should probably rent either a wheelchair or a scooter for part of the day when at the world. Walking is painful and difficult all the time, but I look just fine. I'm young, I have young kids (whom I frequently need to run after), no visible issues. I don't get anything because I don't want to constantly defend my need to the ever present judge and jury.

It's sad that a few baddies have made using chairs and scooters so controversial
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

It's a shame that there are people out there that use them just for front of the line access. Those few people make it that much harder for those that do need it.

I for one, don't really see the advantage. My dad (who looks normal) only has one lung and can do short amounts of walking before getting out of breath. He uses an ECV each time we go instead of a regular w/c so that he can still have his freedom and does not have to wait for us or do what we want to do. We always wait in the regular line with the chair, or he will get out of the chair and walk slowly through the line. He would never, ever, use it to cut in front of people. In fact, he gets so frustrated using it sometimes. We went to the Christmas Party one year, and I remember him sitting in his chair, almost in tears because there were so many people and he was unable to navigate through the crowds because people kept cutting in front of him causing him to suddenly stop. My mom and I would try and walk in front of him, to keep a path clear, but people would cut in between us and the ECV. He had such a bad experience that night that he never wants to return to any of the parties or really even MK at times because of the crowds.
    °O° Ria°O°

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." ~Walt Disney

First trip: 11/05-Pop
    Next trip(s): 9/12-CSR, 10/12-ASM & Swan,
    11/12-Swan & YC
    Pop x 4
    CBR x 1
    POFQ x 2
    Poly x 1
    WL x 1
    AKL x 2
    SOG x 3

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: