Quantcast Disney President and CEO Bob Iger Announces the Launch of D23! - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait to hear what the "Suprise Collectible Gift" you get for joining is, maybe it will be something good and worth the membership.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    like most things disney has done for the past 50 years.....

for 75 bucks you get the privilege of "feeling like you are a member of the club"

Think about it....it started with Mickey Mouse Club......then progressed through the parks....they were the first to have annual passes.....one of the first to have all inclusive gate charges.....and have done hundreds of different "clubs, memberships, passholders, gold keys...etc etc etc".....then they rolled on through the "Vacation Club"....for when little purchases no longer cut it.

Disney has played the exclusive card for 50+ years....everything designed to make you a member or not.....on the inside or out....a have or a have not....

It's an effective strategy....and it has served them well.
    I understand the exclusive bit. I am an annual passholder, and I'm a Tables in Wonderland member. The difference is, those two things actually make my WDW experience less expensive.

I think your analogy is a little off, usually these things give repeat customers a discount, as long as they keep being repeat customers, like me. D23 memberships gives me the opportunity to buy ridiculously priced collectibles buy paying a $75 entrance fee. It doesn't give me a discount, except for the expo, which is once a year in California. I am interested to see what kind of discount you get.

It seems like a bad idea. The membership, I mean, the website's not bad.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

But the truth is, if it works for them and makes them cash, no one should really fault them for doing it.

I mean that is what they're in business for.

If anyone is at fault, it's us ... the consumers ... we keep lining up to get fleeced.

And I include myself in that.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    I understand the exclusive bit. I am an annual passholder, and I'm a Tables in Wonderland member. The difference is, those two things actually make my WDW experience less expensive.

I think your analogy is a little off, usually these things give repeat customers a discount, as long as they keep being repeat customers, like me. D23 memberships gives me the opportunity to buy ridiculously priced collectibles buy paying a $75 entrance fee. It doesn't give me a discount, except for the expo, which is once a year in California. I am interested to see what kind of discount you get.

It seems like a bad idea. The membership, I mean, the website's not bad.

whether or not people use these memberships to their advantage and receive a discount in the end is irrelevant.....

The sale of things like annual passes and tables in wonderland (which i buy as well) is a guaranteed fee up front. which is what disney is going for. Whether or not you purchase $425 dollars worth of food or drinks to get your 85 dollar fee for TIW back is kinda irrelevant...because in the end, they still have your $425 dollars. Just like a $100 discount off a 450 DVC annual pass still means they have 350 dollars of your money....whether you go once or 50 times.

Now in the end....you can certainly maximize the benefits and get a good return on your upfront costs....or DDE is due to expire on April 30th and we will have been there 4 trips and probably racked up 1500-2000 in charges when it's all said and done.....just like our annuals are used enough to make the per day costs comparitively small as compared to gate.....

But i'm an extreme case abuser.....far more people get far less return off these things.....

And knowing that, the upfront fees and renewals are enough to generate large sums of cash for the Walt Disney Company....

Just like DVC.....sure you will get longterm value....but the upfront, maintenance deferrals, and secondary revenue generated from each 'membership' far outweighs what they'll "lose" on giving you a 14 point a night studio in 20 years.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    If anyone is at fault, it's us ... the consumers ... we keep lining up to get fleeced.

And I include myself in that.
    Touche' I include myself as well. Only, I'm not buying this... at least not yet. I don't see any tremendous value in it to make it worth the cost.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose View Post
    I think it would be smarter of them to market it as a monthly fee, which would work out to $6.25 a month, give or take a fraction of a penny.

Hey, for $6.25 a month, I might try it.

Maybe I will.....
    I broke down and decided to sign up. I figured I probably waste more a month then the $6.25 per month it works out to be. All I had to do was lower my Nexflix level from $16.99 to $8.99.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the mag this morning at B&N's and it reminds me of the annual report booklet Shareholders get in the mail(what's happening in the parks,celebrity photos of Disney characters,new Pixar movie(s) etc.)I can opt back into posatal mailings of the annual reports(that's FREE)and not have to pay the $15.95 or club membership fee.
    Rob
    1. '66 Preview Center(baby),'71,'76,'86,'94-Offsite
    2. '95 AS Mus,'96 AS Sport,'97 AS Mov
    3. '99 CSR,'2000 CBR
    4. '01 AS Mov,'02 AS Mov
    5. '03-'04 Pop,CHRISTmas,New Years,Collective Soul
    6. '04 Pop,Halloween
    7. '05,'06,'07,'10 Pop,CHRISTmas
    8. '11 Pop,New Years,15th Wedding Anniversary

Post Thanks / Like

I was curious after seeing Iger on The View this morning talking about 23 so I went to my local B&N and picked up the "magazine". I was so impressed with it that I'm going to join. To me, this looks like it was not created for the Disney "fan", but for the Disney "enthusiast". Someone that doesn't mind paying premium prices to get quality product. This thing is no magazine, it's like a quarterly book with an embossed cover and beautiful pictures and very lengthy articles. I thought it was great and am curious to see what the "gift" is for joining. I also like the exclusive pin that I saw as well and want to get it!
    Last edited by CaptSmee; 03-11-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: more thoughts...
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

We did the Disney Club years ago, they got rid of it. We had subscriptions to the magazine, they got rid of it. We are annual passholders and wanted to join the tables in wonderland but with the economy the way it is and DH being laid off in April, we have to be happy with passes and leave it at that. For the people that joining D23, enjoy. I hope it is everything you are hoping it will be.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking shouldn't the magazine be for members only or is Disney letting anyone get it to try to stir up interest? Will they keep offering non members the magazine?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    I was thinking shouldn't the magazine be for members only or is Disney letting anyone get it to try to stir up interest? Will they keep offering non members the magazine?
    It's only available as a charter member, through Disneyonline or Barnes & Nobles. So anyone can get it, but it's not mass media.
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

While I agree with most of what is being said. I guess I am a sucker for the Disney brand and I'm going to become a member. I've decided to use my Disney Visa Rewards dollars on this since I don't have a trip planned to use them on this year. The magazine does really look like a nice publication and I will be excited to add them to my Disney library. The only down side is that I have to wait 2-3 weeks for my reward card to arrive.
    "Jammin' in the jungle to the rhythm of one!"

Proud mom of Elias - born Sept 2008!

WDW College Program Alum-Fall 2001

I runDisney - 2010 DL Half, 2012 Coast to Coast DL Half and Wine & Dine, 2014 Tinker Bell Half, 2014 Avengers Half, 2015 Pixie Dust Challenge, 2015 Dumbo Double Dare

Post Thanks / Like

I am still undecided at the moment. I was disappointed by reading who they picked for "star" interviews for the first issue. Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens? Really? That was the best they could come up with? Maybe if I was sixteen (which was a long time ago - although Zac does remind me of my high school boyfriend, sigh...) Tim Burton would be an interesting read.

I think I will take a look at the magazine in the bookstore before deciding.

Everyone's opinions are interesting to read.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    whether or not people use these memberships to their advantage and receive a discount in the end is irrelevant.....
    Not true, at least not in all cases. If D23 had a better price point and gave me a reason to buy it that would get me something at a deal, I would stongly consider it. It doesn't, so I won't, so it is relevant.

The sale of things like annual passes and tables in wonderland (which i buy as well) is a guaranteed fee up front. which is what disney is going for. Whether or not you purchase $425 dollars worth of food or drinks to get your 85 dollar fee for TIW back is kinda irrelevant...because in the end, they still have your $425 dollars. Just like a $100 discount off a 450 DVC annual pass still means they have 350 dollars of your money....whether you go once or 50 times.
    No, you're missing the point. These things are attractive to consumers because they save you money. It is true that I go to WDW more often because I have an annual pass. It is also true that I spend more money in the parks because I'm there more. What is the chance that if I refuse to pay the $75 that I'll buy something off the D23 site? Zero, I don't have access.

The upfront fees and renewals are enough to generate large sums of cash for the Walt Disney Company....
    True, but if it's not seen as a good deal, you probably won't buy it, unless you're Ian (kidding )

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    True, but if it's not seen as a good deal, you probably won't buy it, unless you're Ian (kidding )
    Hey now ....

I didn't say it wasn't a good deal. I said I was unsure about the value proposition that it offered, but obviously I came to the conclusion that there was upside to buying in.

The bigger question is whether or not this will just be a one-year wonder for me.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Add me to the 23 suckers
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Default D23

Disney just posted new information on the D23 website, about an exclusive screening of UP from Pixar for D23 members, and also meet the artist to be held on Main Street in Disneyland.

The only thing is that if all events take place in California it would be difficult to visit them from the East Coast. They should have events take place in the major cities on the east coast as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Hey now ....

I didn't say it wasn't a good deal. I said I was unsure about the value proposition that it offered, but obviously I came to the conclusion that there was upside to buying in.

The bigger question is whether or not this will just be a one-year wonder for me.
    I know, but when the opportunity is presented to give you a hard time...welll........

Post Thanks / Like

Bah! Disney needs to cater better to Canada, (we spend a lot of money on them and we actually still have money to spend) they used to years ago, we had our very own Disney catalog.. but after years of shopping through them, it was removed.

We don't have a Barnes & Noble in the City where I live and I don't see the magazine on their site, but I'm guessing it will be roughly $25.00 a copy here.. the closest B&N is Vancouver, a five hour drive. So, I thought I'd join the Club for the year and see what the hub bub is all about. Not that I will ever shop for the merchandise because it looks over priced and the shipping is very, very high to Canada.

So, I start filling in the order. Then.. I see the total payment due!

My shipping costs for this magazine would be 49.95. That makes my total 124.94 US.. bringing it to 164.62 Canadian. Sheesh. That's about 64.62 more than it would cost me if I bought it at B&N. I'm just not that curious, at least the Insider was available to me at a local bookstore, allowing me to avoid the shipping costs.

So, let me know what y'all think when you get your "Free" gift.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dudeman1975 View Post
    Disney just posted new information on the D23 website, about an exclusive screening of UP from Pixar for D23 members, and also meet the artist to be held on Main Street in Disneyland.
    This was actually up on Day 1.
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)

Once You Go, You Know
    Visit the World you used to know...

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: