Quantcast Arriving a night early

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arriving a night early

Hi Everyone.

We are thinking about flying in the night before our scheduled vacation. We were thinking it would be nice to take the late 8pm flight since at this point we are already awake and it will be easier for our DS who is 4 years old. We dont want to do the 330am shuffle to the airport which pretty much drags the entire first couple days with extra exhaustion.

So my question to everyone is this... If we come in a night early we were thinking it would be nice to spend the night somewhere cheaper than the disney hotel since we will be missing th entire day anyway. We were leaning on a couple options but are not familiaer with any hotels or know anyone else who may have done this. Would it make sense to get a cheap hotel room near the airport and then take a shuttle back to the airport in the morning to use DME? or does it make sense to stay in a Downtown Disney area hotel? We are staying at POFQ so I guess we could take the boat from DD to POFQ? Do they even allow luggage on the boat? Beter yet, is it even reasonable to lug luggage through DD to the boat?

I just cant see spending $150 to add a night at POFQ for the convenience of waking up there, either way we will be in Florida and only have to get to the resort, much nicer then dealing with the airport so early in the morning.

Thank you so much for reading this long winded question!
    Brian

December 9 -December 18, 2015 POR
    Sept 24 - Oct 4, 2009, POFQ
    September, 2008 - CBR
    April, 1988-offsite

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    AwPhooey is offline Senior Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is staying at Pop Century or one of the All-Star Resorts an option? They're pretty cheap (though not as cheap as off-site hotels) and Disney, so you know the quality is going to be high.

Plus, you'd be able to take Disney's Magical Express to the hotel. I'd pick up my luggage at baggage claim and put them under the DME bus since you'd be getting in late and leaving the next morning.

Also, I think, but don't know for certain, that Disney hotels will transfer your luggage to another Disney hotel for you. That way, you could check out of Pop, have your luggage transferred, take a cab to POFQ (or bus to DTD and boat to POFQ), check in and head out to the parks nice and early. Then, when you get back to POFQ you can pick up your luggage (not sure if they'll deliver it to your room for you) and head to your room.

Post Thanks / Like

Last fall we had the same questions for our group, which included several children. I was trying to work out an inexpensive way to get from the airport to the off property hotel near DTD, where I had already booked our "night before". When I read a post here that suggested staying at an on property value resort that night, I checked into it, and it was actually cheaper than the discounted rate I had booked for off property, and we still got to use DME. For our group, it worked out really well. However, the latest any of us arrived was late afternoon, so the 30 min DME ride wasn't a problem. If you would be arriving late in the evening, it may be easier on your family to stay nearer the airport. I'm not sure how DME would work the next morning, though, since they schedule your ride based on your flight. Hopefully someone else will know what to do in that case.

As for taking luggage through DTD and onto the boat to get to POFQ if you stay off property, it sounds like "an adventure" , but maybe one I wouldn't want? It would probably be worth the cab fare to POFQ, and would be much quicker, too.

Have a wonderful trip and let us know how it works out for you

Post Thanks / Like

We have always arrived before our package begins because we want to start our Disney trip refreshed and ready to go, so good choice.

We have always added a room only night on to our current package and never thought anything of it...paying too much to do so. Kathy at Magical Journeys said that she is going to try to roll everything into one package I would speak to them to see if there is anything they can do for you...they are great!!

If not then I would say a room at Pop or All Stars would be good too.
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Post Thanks / Like

We had a 10 day hopper last time we were in WDW with reservations offsite. (Timeshare Dec.07) and stayed at a $50 dollar/nite hotel the day before checkin and the day after check out so that we could take full advantage of our tickets. After driving 14 hrs from NC, it allowed us to get a good nights sleep and head to the parks the next morning fresh and ready to go. Just make sure you know what kind of hotel your paying for. The night after check out we stayed in a hotel that was nasty!!

Post Thanks / Like

We're actually trying this for the first time this year. We're staying near the airport (my DH travels a lot for business, so we are using reward points for this night). Since we're renting a car I wasn't concerned about ME. Hopefully everything will work out fine.
    Jambo everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for the usual great and speedy feedback. I think we are going to go ahead and book Pop Century for the night, it is about $70 cheaper then POFQ, that makes me feel good. We will arrange for them to transfer our bags and then we will head off to DTD for breakfast, then take the boat to POFQ and check in. for ten fun filled days!!!

Thank you again for all your wonderful feedback. If anyone does do this and has an expereince they want to share that would be great, always up to different ideas.
    Brian

September, 2008 - CBR
    April, 1988-offsite

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds like a great plan!
    However I would keep my eyes open just in case a fantastic room only rate comes up which would bring the POFQ price down and you would not have to do the transfer. Just a thought.
    You are staying on grounds either way, in my eyes, your vacation got an early start!
    Sainter
    Oct97 AS Sports/Trop Palms
    Oct00 AS Sports/4 Pts Sheraton
    Oct01 Condo Nov02 POR/Calypso Cay
    Oct 03 POR Nov04 Pop
    Oct05, Mar07, June08 POR
    Mar09 AS Sports, Sept09 POR
    Mar11 Pop/CSR, Jan12 AS Sports
    Oct12 POR/CB, Oct14 OKW
    Sep15POFQ, Oct16 Pop/POR
    Sep17 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

We've done this the past few years. It's a great way to explore the other Disney resort to see where else you might want to stay.

8/11 CSR
    8/10 - Wilderness Lodge
    2009 CSR
    2009 Ft Wilderness Cabins
    2008 Polynesian
    2008 POR
    2007 CSR
    2007 OKW
    2006 CBR
    Many offsite trips...before kids

Post Thanks / Like

We always drive to WDW, and we have stayed offsite for our first night several times when we are arriving after 10pm. I usually find a really cheap hotel just outside WDW on 192 for about $50 for the 4 of us. We get up early (6am) the next morning, drive all of 5 minutes into WDW, check into our WDW resort, leave our bags and catch one of the first buses to the park of our choice and we are there by park opening. It's great to check in really early, no waiting, even if the room isn't ready.

BUT, If I were flying into Orlando, I'd really check into staying the first night at a WDW value resort, since you'd get to use DME, and that would be a huge convenience to me.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Great plan. We do this on pretty much every trip. We can never wait until our "official" arrival date and always leave home early. We usually stay at Pop or Allstars. It doesn't make alot of sense to pay almost as much at a hotel in Orlando which might save you $20-30 and not have the Disney atmosphere. Also you know what you are getting with Disney which is safety, cleanliness, and the ability to make it right if something goes wrong. We always love that first night and usually spend it at DTD, exploring the resort, swimming, shopping, or occasionally at a park.
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

we have learned that the day we fly in-- we are pretty useless. we have tried to go to parks but we wind up tired and cranky. so we don't even count our first day there.

kate
    Oct 07 POR
    Oct 08 ASMo
    Jan 09 ASMu
    SEP 09 ASMo
    DEC 09 CBR-solo trip
    Dec 10 Pop
    Oct 11 CS
    Oct 12 CSR, Dream
    Dec 12 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

You could always stay at a value like Pop for the night. I think if you stay at a disney resort they will transfer the luggage for you but if they do, make sure you have some stuff with you for the day. We stayed at some hotels in DTD like the Hilton and we stayed at the Wyndham Palace Resort & Spa which was like 88 dollars a night. You could always have dinner at DTD and relax at your resort pool for a little while. We usually get a 7 or 8 am flight and then stay up all day. But the next day I'm usually shot but we don;t stay for many nights so we try to do the most each night until I collapse.

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Last year and this year coming up we took a later flight...last year we got in about 830pm and this year about 730pm - we do like booking the night at our resort - we like to get in, unpacked and stop at the general store to get some drinks for the week. I love not havin the hassle of changing hotels. We do the dining plan and since last year we got in late and did not have dinner - we did a signature dinner another night...worked out well for us. I wouldnt recommend switching hotels....
    POR April/May 2007
    POR April/May 2008
    POP April/May 2009
    POR April/May 2010!!!!!!
    POR Feb/March 2011!
    POP May 2011!!!!!!!!
    POP DEC 2012
    OFF Property May 2013
    POP NOV 2013
    CSR JAN-FEB 2014 (they upgraded us from POP)
    POP MAY 14
    I love my Pens!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brian2000boston View Post
    Thank you everyone for the usual great and speedy feedback. I think we are going to go ahead and book Pop Century for the night, it is about $70 cheaper then POFQ, that makes me feel good. We will arrange for them to transfer our bags and then we will head off to DTD for breakfast, then take the boat to POFQ and check in. for ten fun filled days!!!

Thank you again for all your wonderful feedback. If anyone does do this and has an expereince they want to share that would be great, always up to different ideas.
    If you stay on site you can still use DME. They will bring them to where ever you stay the first night. You can leave word with bell services to keep them at bell services and then get them transfered to your new resort in the morning. We did this for our last trip and it worked out really well. We were still able to use DME, just packed our first night things in the carry on. Just a suggestion for you.
    Have a great trip!!!
    Tracy șOș

1995 Grand Floridian for honeymoon
    2004 Polynesian LVC (three kids later)
    2005 Beach Club
    2006 Polynesian, Tonga!!
    2008 Polynesian
    figured out the secret...
    2008 DVC member AKV

2009 Saratoga Springs/ Boardwalk Villa
    2009 VWL/ AKV... 2 trips in 1 year..love my DVC!!!

Post Thanks / Like

update:

Ok so as you all know things change fast around a Disney vacation

So we went ahead and booked the night at our current resort. We decided the hassle of moving and feeling rushed was going to be undisney for us, so we decided to not be cheap and add the extra night, with the value of the free dining that night gives us brings the cost of $167 /night to $77 which was cheaper then going to a value resort. We love the idea of going to a signature dining one night and having those credits may not be a bad thing.

As always thanks for the great input, it really shaped us in making our decision!
    Brian

September, 2008 - CBR
    April, 1988-offsite

Post Thanks / Like

We did this and stayed at a hotel right next to DTD and it was cheap. I can't remember the name off hand. We rented a car for the night and then the next day we drove to our hotel returned the car there and went on our merry way.
    1972 - 1995 - Stayed with family or camped
    1996 - 2003 - All Stars
    2004 - Disneyland
    2006 - All Stars
    04/14/07 - Disney's Coronado Springs
    04/19/08 - Disney's Coronado Springs
    05/02/09 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    08/28/10 - Animal Kingdom Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by brian2000boston View Post
    update:

Ok so as you all know things change fast around a Disney vacation

So we went ahead and booked the night at our current resort. We decided the hassle of moving and feeling rushed was going to be undisney for us, so we decided to not be cheap and add the extra night, with the value of the free dining that night gives us brings the cost of $167 /night to $77 which was cheaper then going to a value resort. We love the idea of going to a signature dining one night and having those credits may not be a bad thing.

As always thanks for the great input, it really shaped us in making our decision!
    Like you we fly in a little bit later. We take the Magical Express to our resort. We pack our swimsuits in our carryon and anything we will need right away. Then we go out for nice dinner at DTD or one of the resort restaurants. We ride the monorail. We love it all the first night. You will too!! Have a great trip.
    Keep smiling and Have a magical day!!!
    It's all good.

We love to serve fun, food, and deliciousness.

AKA: Jean and Marty

Post Thanks / Like

Brian, I think you have a good plan. Once we took the late flight from Boston and stayed at a cheap hotel near the airport. The shuttle from the cheap hotel back to the airport was hourly, so we had to rush to make sure we did not miss that. Never again. It just wasn't worth it.

We don't mind taking the early flight out, but we're early birds.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: