Quantcast Automatic tipping with a larger party

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Automatic tipping with a larger party

I have read about the automatic 18%gratuity they add for parties of six and have a major problem with it. Being on DDP and knowing we will stay within the bounds of DDP, I expect I would get a bill for just the gratuity? Now, don't think I don't tip because I do, but I am completely against someone else telling me what i will tip. We do a lot of buffets to try to meet everyone's needs from child to adult and I, like many others on intercot, do not agree with the 18% automatic tip. My question is this, has anyone bucked the tip and just left in cash what they thought was appropriate?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I find it hard to believe hat they can force you to leave an 18% gratuity. They would need to change what you call it to, service charge. Gratuity is an OPTION! I do not like that restaurants add it with large parties. If you want my tip, I will tip if I get the service. If you give bad service whether I am in a party of 2 or 20 I have the right to tip what I feel was deserving. Can you tell this is a sore subject...
    Disneyland many trips as a child
    Disney World 83 & 91
    Disneyland 94, 96, 99, 02, 03, 05
    Disneyland Grand Californian 2000 Holiday time
    Disney World Nov 06
    Disneyland 07 Holiday time
    Disneyland 08 June and Holiday time
    Disney World June 09
    Disneyland 09 Holiday time
    Disneyland 2010 June

Post Thanks / Like

When it's an actual bill instead of an optional line item, I believe by not leaving at least enough to cover the cost of the tip, you could be charged for non payment of services provided.

I'm not sure if it's criminally chargable of if they would try to enforce it, but it's not something I would probably test while on vacation. It's easier to talk to a manager after the meal. And since you used your room card (KTTW) to pay the required DDP credits, it's easy enough to track you back to your room, they wouldn't need to chase you through th park.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm obviously not talking about breaking a law. I wouldn't do that but my question is if they have the right to require you to pay that amount or is it a suggested amount? Have anyone ever questionned CMs or managers about this? With all the people on intercot questionning this activity, I was wondering if anyone has stood up to this practice.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

The automatic gratuity is part of the bill, it is not a suggestion.

Gratuity is automatically added to the price of the meal (where applicable) for groups of 6 or more, Guests using the Tables in Wonderland discount, and at pre-paid locations.

In the event of poor service, Guests can speak to management to have the amount of gratuity applied changed.
    Figment! aka Jason ΊoΊ
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago (way before DDP came into play) we ate at Rainforest Cafe with a party of 6. The service was horrendous, no drink refills, wrong food orders...you name it. I did not know until after we got home that my DH paid an automatic 18% gratuity. I immediately went online to Rainforest Cafe and lodged a complaint. The next day I received a phone call and the gratuity was reversed on DH's credit card with apologies and a gift card in the mail.
    Of course, speaking with the manager while you are there is much easier but sometimes you get caught up in things and don't think about it until later!
    10/91-Honeymoon YC Concierge
    6/92, 5/93, 9/95, 9/99-YC
    9/00-BWI,YC
    6/01-AKL,YC
    9/02-BCV,YC
    5/03-BCV
    8/03-WLV,BWV
    1/04-HH,BWV,OKW
    6/04, 5/05-BWV
    8/05, 11/07-SSR
    2/09-BCV
    11/09-BCV
    5/11-AKL
    4/12-OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Direct from the 2009 DDP brochure:

Q. Are gratuities included?
    A. No, gratuities are not included unless otherwise indicated. An 18% gratuity will
    be added automatically for parties of 6 or more. A gratuity may also be added
    automatically for ordered items that are not included in the Disney Dining Plan (e.g. alcoholic beverages).

JMO...If you knowingly purchase the Dining Plan and fall into the category of 6 or more you are agreeing to pay the 18% gratuity as per the rules. I know it doesn't sound very fair and we have had to pay the 18% when we have been a party of 6 or more with or without using the plan. The CM on the phone will also tell you about the required 18% gratuity when making your ADRs for a larger party. If the service I received was truely awful, I would indeed ask to speak to a manager. I would not be pre-planning on ways to get around what I knew was part the pre-stated rules. And in all honesty we have had such wounderful service at WDW restaurants that I usually leave more than the required amount.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

What happens if you are a party of 6, but using 2 different DDP. We are meeting up with friends for meals but are on 2 seperate reservations.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

What happens if you are a party of 6, but using 2 different DDP. We are meeting up with friends for meals but are on 2 seperate reservations.
    Is your actual dining reservation for a party of six? If it is, then it doesn't matter how many different dining cards you give them to utilize (or if one group is paying cash and you are paying via the DDP) - you'll still be charged the automatic 18%.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rain View Post
    My question is this, has anyone bucked the tip and just left in cash what they thought was appropriate?
    As a former server, I can try to explain why it is important for the tip to be automatic for larger parties.

The higher the bill, the less apt one is to pay 18 or 20%. If a server has three tables of 2 each, he or she is much more likely to receive "good" tips than if he or she has one table of 6.

Think about it. A DDP meal at Disney for 2 might be worth about $50 - $100 (depending on the location). That is a $9 - $18 tip at 18%. People don't balk at leaving that amount. Now imagine a table of 6 guests, ordering the same amount of food per person. Their combined bill is $150 - $300. That is a $27 - $54 tip at 18%. Suddenly, a good tip is much harder to leave. After all, a tip is discretionary. One could choose to leave $10 on that bill, even if the service has been extraordinary. That has happened plenty of times, and it hurts the server a lot more because he or she devoted more time (and took less other tables) to accommodate a larger party.

The OP's specific situation is a little different because he plans on dining at buffets. That is an entirely different discussion IMHO. For the automatic tip in general, though, it is a needed protection for servers.
    CaptainDisney, aka Kevin

Former CP, Fall 2007
    Seasonal Cast Member: Monorail Pilot

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=CaptainDisney;1841717]
    Think about it. A DDP meal at Disney for 2 might be worth about $50 - $100 (depending on the location). That is a $9 - $18 tip at 18%. People don't balk at leaving that amount. Now imagine a table of 6 guests, ordering the same amount of food per person. Their combined bill is $150 - $300. That is a $27 - $54 tip at 18%. Suddenly, a good tip is much harder to leave. After all, a tip is discretionary.[/QUOTE]

This actually helps me make my point. Let's just say I go to Cindy's Castle so I can let my DD see the princesses. I don't know the exact amount right now but for argument's sake we will say it cost $35 per person for 6 people. That would cost us $210 plus a $38 tip. We were there about an hour (maybe less as they try to hurry you through to get to the next family.) My server has done an average job filling up my juice and bringing me out another plate of eggs. How many tables does my server have? Someone here might could enlighten us as to how many tables a typical server covers at a time. I don't know but let's just say she has 5 tables just like ours. Look at it per hour our server just made $190 per hour. ( I do recognize that she splits part of that). However, I also know that I am a dissertation short of having 5 college degrees and never in my life will I see that kind of return. You also can't argue that their job is harder than mine. I work in the schools and have been cussed as many times as most servers at Disney if not more. Many of the kids are great, just like the customers, but many of them are not. And for every bad seed there is a bad parent teaching them how to be bad.

My second point. Again I am eating at Cindy's Castle and maybe the next day I go to Trail's End for $15 per person. That will run us about $80 with a $15 tip. Has that server at TE worked any less than the server at Cindy's Castle. Why should I be paying the server at Cindy's Castle over twice as much for doing the same job as the server at TE.

To me this is not an issue as much about money as much as it is an issue about principle. As the above poster stated, "Tips are discretionary." I welcome anyone comment's but please don't say, "Well you can choose to eat or not. Those are the rules." I recognize that but also recognize that I have the right to question a practice and am just wondering about others' opinions.

I believe there was a time that Disney advertised itself as an affordable family vacation. Disney dining has moved so far away from that it is pathetic. I love Disney and typically close my eyes to money while we are there but practices like this and unrealistic dining costs really bother me. Now I have seen that they have holiday pricing in addition to normal pricing. I looked at the dates for holiday pricing and it seemed as if it covered the whole sumer period as well as most of the rest of the year too. Disney is busy during the summer but it is because families who are concerned about school attendance wait until they have breaks to take their vactions. Really bothers me...

Post Thanks / Like

My sister has a party of 6 and 2 are infants. When she made the ADRs they make them for a "party of 6." Will she be charged the 18% gratuity? 2 of the kids aren't even on the DDP.
    Last trips: August 06, May 07, November 08, June 09
    Next trip: May 21-30, 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kadesha View Post
    My sister has a party of 6 and 2 are infants. When she made the ADRs they make them for a "party of 6." Will she be charged the 18% gratuity? 2 of the kids aren't even on the DDP.
    Doesn't matter who's in the DDP or not. It's a head count, so yes, tip WILL be automagically added, however the amount of the tip is based on the bill (4 adults plus whatever you order OOP for the kids). The ONLY difference is it will be part of the "bill" instead of optional.

Post Thanks / Like

I still don't understand how the tip will work if it is (in our case) a party of 4 and a party of 2 making up the 6. We will all be on the DDP. But me, DH and 2dd's will be on one card and Auntie and uncle on the other card. Will they charge the 18% for the 4 of us on one card and then 18% for auntie and uncle on their card?
    Trish

Next Trip Jan 2015 1 night POR, then BWV renting points
    Sept 2013 BWV renting points
    Nov 2012 BWV renting points for my big 4-0
    Sept 2011 BWV renting points
    Sept 2009 POP
    Sept 2008 POP
    Sept. 2007 POP
    Sept 2003 ASMu

Post Thanks / Like

We went in October as a party of 11 and we were on three different DDP I was told the only way to get out of the 18% is to sit at different tables. We were not willing to do this so we paid the 18%. There were times I left more but at no time did I feel the service was less than 18%, I always tip at least 20%.

I had two servers not add the tip and told me they did not...of course I gave them more for allowing me to make my own choice. Those servers were from CP and LTT.
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Post Thanks / Like

The word 'tip' is an acronym meaning -To Insure Promptness. The definition of gratuity is - a relatively small amount of money given for services rendered (as by a waiter) given without claim or obligation.

My point is as I stated earlier is, I do tip for the service I receive. Give me good service and I will give the appropriate tip. I should not be forced to tip for poor service because I am a large party. To tell me I could call over the manager and explain the service problem to get the automatic gratuity off is not in everyone's personality because it could be construed as causing a scene (that would be my DH).

I have worked many years as a server and made good money at it. It was hard to leave because it was hard to find a job that paid better. I have been a "victim" of a large party not tipping enough, but there are many small parties that did the same. It just hurts the pocket book harder. That is just the business. Some tip well, some don't tip enough, and some don't tip at all. In the end, I always went home with more than I had to pay taxes on.
    Disneyland many trips as a child
    Disney World 83 & 91
    Disneyland 94, 96, 99, 02, 03, 05
    Disneyland Grand Californian 2000 Holiday time
    Disney World Nov 06
    Disneyland 07 Holiday time
    Disneyland 08 June and Holiday time
    Disney World June 09
    Disneyland 09 Holiday time
    Disneyland 2010 June

Post Thanks / Like

Tipping / paying for multiple rooms was an issue at many of our table service meals -- and a main factor in why we would likely not use the DDP again. We had 7 "adult"s on the DDP. Several restaurants made the paying extremely awkward / embarrasing, in fact -- as we were trying to have one person pay the tip at each meal. At all but one location, they insisted that tip had to be divided onto multiple room cards. (If they have to divide it, it doesn't seem like it should still count as 18% -- we are no longer being billed as a party of 6.)
    Having to sign four or five slips to pay for the meal became very awkward. (You have to sign for the room, and for the credit card for the tip.) We tried putting all the meals one on room card, but that made it no easier. At SciFi we thought they got it right -- we signed for two rooms, one credit card tip . . . then we noticed, other part of the tip was billed to the room. It was far more frustration than it was worth. Large parties have to pay the 18% -- and it will be broken down by room.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sam&Alex'sMOM View Post
    I still don't understand how the tip will work if it is (in our case) a party of 4 and a party of 2 making up the 6. We will all be on the DDP. But me, DH and 2dd's will be on one card and Auntie and uncle on the other card. Will they charge the 18% for the 4 of us on one card and then 18% for auntie and uncle on their card?
    Yes.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuckRocks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam&Alex'sMOM
    Yes.
    Thanks for the simple answer!
    Trish

Next Trip Jan 2015 1 night POR, then BWV renting points
    Sept 2013 BWV renting points
    Nov 2012 BWV renting points for my big 4-0
    Sept 2011 BWV renting points
    Sept 2009 POP
    Sept 2008 POP
    Sept. 2007 POP
    Sept 2003 ASMu

Portland, ME (1421 miles from the Magic!!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    In the event of poor service, Guests can speak to management to have the amount of gratuity applied changed.
    Exactly.
    If you feel that the service you have been provided was so poor that an 18% gratuity is not appropriate, ask to speak to a manager.

PS ~ The difference between an 18% gratuity and a 15% gratuity on a $144 bill is $4.00!! Is that really going to ruin your vacation?
    "Veggie, veggie! Fruit, fruit!"
    Next Trip: April 2013 - POP
    Previous Trips: 11/12 – ASMu; 8/12 – ASMu; 2/12 - CSR; 12/08; 9/08; 5/08; 2/08 - POFQ; ‘06; ‘05; ’04- ASMu; ‘02-Offsite; ‘01-ASMo; ‘00; ‘99; ‘97-SOG; ‘96-FW Cabin; ‘94-CBR; ‘92-CBR; ‘90-CBR; ‘88-Poly; ‘86-Offsite

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: