Quantcast Recession? Not in WDW! But the Crowd BEHAVIOR is What was So Bad - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    I personally would have the attitude of "going above and beyond" so that management would have to say, "this guy we need to keep"
    No see you're all wrong. Nowadays the appropriate attitude is to believe that you're entitled to a job at WDW, regardless of your work ethic..........
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    Yes Disney should be responsible for doing something. Crowd control comes with the territory whether they like it or not. Unless of course the want the news story with the Headline " Boy Trambled to Death attempting to ride Toy Story Attraction at WDW" Because the longer the wait to control this the worse it will get and the fictional headline above will become a reality.
    But anytime Disney, or anyone else, is forced to make special accomodations for those who behave badly, the rest of us pay a price. If Disney if forced to position more cast members to handle the out of control crowd at rope drop, then there are fewer cast members some place else. Shouldn't it be basic human nature to NOT run over another person in order to gain a few places in a line, or a few minutes in a queue?

That's what I mean by "should they have to". When and why did it become commonplace and acceptable to behave so poorly.

And now that they are being tasked with attempting to control such things, they are limited in the methods they can use partly based on what the liabily lawyers advise. Just because something might make more sense, does not mean it is a choise that will best limit liability.

Even though it often seems folks make great sport out of blaming corporate giants for everything that goes wrong, and think it perfectly acceptable to attept to pick those those deep corporate pockets whether it's justified or not, it still remains our own responsibility how we behave.

It is also our own responsibility how we react to that behavior. But again, just my opinion, no one has to agree.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by doodleboy View Post
    BTW -- DL is much worse in this area IMHO.
    That was our experience, as well. The crowds at DL seem to have a much greater tendency to run, push, and shove their way to whatever attraction they're heading to at rope drop.

Quote Originally Posted by AXOAlum View Post
    At our trip in September, I saw a kid who couldn't have been older than 12 with a shirt on that had two words, but there were letters missing and a slogan that said "Would you like to buy a vowel" - and his parents were walking right along side with him!!
    That was one kid. How many other tens of thousands of kids had normal, non-profane t-shirts on??

Bad parenting is nothing new. You single out one kid and try and use that to portend the downfall of society and I just don't see it.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We were at the rope drop in DHS the last week of January and did not experience the mob others are describing. It was crowded sure and yes most everyone headed to TSM which created quite a traffic jam over that way, but I didn't see any rude behavior. We also experienced rope drop at DHS last October and again it wasn't too bad. I do think that the time of year you go makes all the difference. When there are huge crowds people get frustrated and irritable. As to why the OP had such a different experience this time as opposed to previous trips in peak season, I blame Disney. Walking the rope to the attraction is such an easy solution and I can't imagine why it's no longer practiced. It's irresponsible to not have more control.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doodleboy View Post
    I am going to tick some people off with this statement, but I have also noticed a general trend toward this bad behavior when the crowd is there during and incentive period. Buy 4, get 3 is going to bring out some people that don't know how to behave in a crowd. Have you ever noticed that around holiday time in the mall you are presented with a bunch of people that only go out to shop that one time per year? They have little or no etiquette in the parking lot, while waitning in line at the checkout, or anyplace else there is a crowd at the mall.
    So, it sounds as if you are saying - having "a lot" of money / being wealthy / etc. equates to having good manners? If this is your take on this, then either you are only seeing what you want to see or you have not been around the "other" crowd enough. I have encountered and seen people who "have money" who displayed very bad manners, and I have encountered and seen people with not so much money display very good manners.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dntccc View Post
    So, it sounds as if you are saying - having "a lot" of money / being wealthy / etc. equates to having good manners? If this is your take on this, then either you are only seeing what you want to see or you have not been around the "other" crowd enough. I have encountered and seen people who "have money" who displayed very bad manners, and I have encountered and seen people with not so much money display very good manners.
    One thing I have learned absolutely over the years is that cash does not equate to class.

I know for a fact that many, many of the folks I have seen behaving like morons in WDW are at least moderately affluent. You don't see poor people running others over with a $500 stroller.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    But anytime Disney, or anyone else, is forced to make special accomodations for those who behave badly, the rest of us pay a price. If Disney if forced to position more cast members to handle the out of control crowd at rope drop, then there are fewer cast members some place else. Shouldn't it be basic human nature to NOT run over another person in order to gain a few places in a line, or a few minutes in a queue?

First off it takes 4-6 CMs at AK and that's covering the 2 major attractions. So we are not talking about a large number of people. And yes basic human nature should be not to run,push etc. but when this type of behavior is allowed to take place it become the norm. It's mob mentality happens all the time. A person walking sees 20 people running and starts to run so they won't miss out. Add the CMs encouraging the behavior instead simply saying don't run and you add fuel to the fire. So if Disney takes the 6 CMs cheering on the mad rush and hands them a rope to carry and slow people down they aren't allowing or encouraging the behavior. Sorry but that's the least Disney can do and should fall under their realm of responsibility. Unfortunately we don't live in Utopia so we all need to face some reality even at WDW.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dntccc View Post
    That's a very nice PC-minded answer. Though the OP could use a little more tact in presenting his theory, its not as if it doesn't hold water or have some ring of truth to it. Case in point...there is a huge difference between the crowds, and their behavior and respect for rules, at Cedar Point and WDW.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    That was one kid. How many other tens of thousands of kids had normal, non-profane t-shirts on??

Bad parenting is nothing new. You single out one kid and try and use that to portend the downfall of society and I just don't see it.
    Wow...guess I've been put in my place. I was simply trying to make a comment about the tee-shirt analogy JonO had made, meaning I was shocked at the tee shirt slogan I saw on a young boy. I'll bow out of this topic now.
    1st WDW trip - 1973 at 5 weeks old!

Disney addict since 1973!

Post Thanks / Like

I also have found bad behavior all over the parks (from WDW, Universal Studios, Sea World, to our local fun parks).This has become my new pet peeve. It is very hard to create a "happy bubble" around you and your family when you get pushed aside, cut-off, and your precious babies in a stroller get bumped around constantly. It becomes "road rage" to a point. Is it a decline in civility? Maybe...but people in masses tend to be pretty "mobbish", People on their own have more respect and tend to act more civil. (However there people who love being the exceptions.)

I believe Disney has a responsibility to help in crowd control though. Although I believe they do a pretty good job of it (better than anywhere else I have been). They deal with massive amounts of people on a daily basis...from all over the country and the world. So Kudos to WDW , but if CM's are egging the "mob" on...shame on them.I wonder if anyone went to guest services to "tattle tell" on them. That is a huge safety issue.
    Amy
    First trip in 1983...at 5 yrs old and have been hooked ever since!
    Next trip: Last week in April 2015 at Fort Wilderness Campground

Post Thanks / Like

A very large effect of the philosophy of post-modern western culture, especially in the U.S., where everyone has been indoctrinated into the concept of the "superiority of the individual" and the "I, ME, MY, MINE", entitlement culture, is that people have been taught directly and indirectly to believe that :

"IT IS ALL ABOUT ME! What I want is more important than anything else and I am entitled to it, so get out of my way."

In general, most people today think much less about how their behavior affects other people than most people 50-100 years ago thought about the consequences of their behavior on others. Many people don't even think their behavior should have any negative consequences on themselves, so we can't realistically expect them to care how it might affect others. Some of them are not being intentionally and deliberately selfish, but the thought that what they do might negatively affect someone else just never even enters their mind. It is a completely foreign concept to their consciousness.

This phenomenon has crossed over through most all socio/economic classes, so that you can't presume that more educated - wealthier people or that less educated - poorer people are more or less likely to behave selfishly than other groups.

DISCLAIMER: I am only an "amateur" sociologist, but my laboratory has been my courtroom (I am a judge) and my experience there over the past 20 years. It still amazes me almost daily how many people have no clue about the consequences of their behavior.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by afowl1017 View Post
    I wonder if anyone went to guest services to "tattle tell" on them. That is a huge safety issue.
    I was just told by my DH that, that wouldn't help at all. Maybe not, but what can one do?
    Amy

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by johnO View Post
    How many kids wear T-shirts with Einstein on it? None. They're all wearing shirts with Scarface, the Sopranos or 50-Cent.
    Actually my son has a shirt with Einstein on it. I have one is well, what's really cool is they glow in the dark. NO really we do.

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
    Albert Einstein
    I Am That Hero!

I'm a Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech...

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Hit it.

Post Thanks / Like

I love these types of disscussions...maybe because it is a type of therapy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    A very large effect of the philosophy of post-modern western culture, especially in the U.S., where everyone has been indoctrinated into the concept of the "superiority of the individual" and the "I, ME, MY, MINE", entitlement culture, is that people have been taught directly and indirectly to believe that :

"IT IS ALL ABOUT ME! What I want is more important than anything else and I am entitled to it, so get out of my way."
    Don't you find that society rewards this type of behavior? It seems so out of control.

good post
    Amy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by afowl1017 View Post
    I was just told by my DH that, that wouldn't help at all. Maybe not, but what can one do?
    It will help! If they hear it enough, they will have to respond. As I have mentioned in the past send an email to: [email protected] or letter to:
    Walt Disney World
    Guest Communication
    PO Box 10040
    Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040

I want to have a good experience at WDW, and I am willing to fight for it. Don't let your voice be muted by having the attitude that you can't do anything about it. Your money is as green as the folks who push and shove you around in those parks. In fact, I would bet that there are more folks like us, who want to just have a good time without aggression. But how would WDW know that without letting them know.

Enough, I'll shut up for now.
    DVC - BCV
    Last Trip: 09.15
    Next Trip: 05.16

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by AXOAlum View Post
    Wow...guess I've been put in my place. I was simply trying to make a comment about the tee-shirt analogy JonO had made, meaning I was shocked at the tee shirt slogan I saw on a young boy. I'll bow out of this topic now.
    I wasn't trying to put you in your place. I just used your post as a springboard to support my point (made previously) that I don't really buy into the whole "decline of Western civilization" argument. I think people have, by and large, always been like this.

I should, however, have been more clear that I wasn't singling you out. It would have been more appropriate to say something like, "This is what I was saying before ... there was one child with a profane shirt on, but tens of thousands with perfectly acceptable shirts. It's the bad ones that stick out, though, and I think that skews perceptions sometimes."

I posted what I originally posted in a rush and really didn't stop to think how it read or how it would be perceived. My apologies if I sounded like I was singling you out. Didn't mean it that way at all.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Doodleboy! Appreciate the encouragement!
    Amy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LarryBoy View Post
    Maybe they should just eliminate the rope drop. Especially at DHS. It's a relatively small park anyway. They could still start letting people in at a time, 20-30 minutes, before the official opening, but just have the whole park open to explore. The attractions could still be closed till the official opening, but people could just queue up outside whichever attraction it is they want to ride first, or even line up to wait on a FP. This would eliminate the mass rush of people. The running of the tourists, if you will.
    This is a great idea. The security check and turnstiles will slow down the flow of people into the park, and letting them disburse stops the "trampling" problem.

May 2002 WDW
    February 6- 11, 2006 WDW
    September 23-27, 2006 WDW
    September 1-September 9, 2007 WDW
    August 29 - September 6, 2009 WDW
    February 4, 2012 - February 12, 2012 WDW

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say the point made about giving the CMs (who were cheering on the crowds to run for attractions) a rope and leading the crowd through slowly is a good one. I promise you the CMs would not be encouraging the crowd to run if they were in between the mob and their goal...plus it would be a fairly effective crowd control procedure.

Also I could have sworn I went once to DS when they let people in early to roam around the park even though the attractions were not open. It did lessen the crowd at opening...although this idea might just lead people to crowd the front of the attraction/fastpass area..but then one could argue that it would be easier to control a mob in a queue/line area at the attraction then at the wide rope drop area. People would be forced into a bottle neck at the queue..which isnt necessarily safer but it does slow people down. Plus, it takes less CMs to control the situation and they could walk the rope through the queue line to further slow people down like at other attractions.

Just a thought anway!
    Aubree

Disney Trips:

01/10 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    02/05 - Port Orleans - Riverside
    03/01- Polynesian
    11/97 - Polynesian
    11/91 - Off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. All of this just makes me happy that I don't go for the "rope drop" moment. I did it once a long time ago, it was special to see the park empty for a few moments but when the herd began mooooving I realized how silly it all was.

One poster mentioned that many blogs and guide books tell their readers to show up early to be the first to get in line for a fast passes. I would think a smart bird would be wary of these "secret" supposedly time savings tips in mass produced and widely read sources.

I don't rush on vacation, there is no need. The ride will still be there when I get there. If I miss this boat/monorail/bus....another one will be by in a bit.

I am weird....I enjoy the waiting. I NEVER do fastpass. It's part of the experience, it's a good chance to absorb the ambiance, people watch, have the glorious realization wash over you that you are in fact AT Walt Disney World.

People need to learn to breathe. I am going to get zen on ya'll for a second. It's not the NOW that is the problem, it's everyone always thinking twenty steps ahead that's the issue...

----First I am going to wake up get dressed and rush to dress the kids and then rush rush rush through breakfast and then rush rush rush to the park and then fidget while we wait for the rope to drop so we can rush rush rush to get a fastpass so we can rush rush rush to do the next thing.----
    Is that fun?

You only really waste time when you aren't enjoying the moment you are in.
    Coming Soon.....
    March 2011 - Beach Club

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: