Quantcast Going to DL (first time)-why can't I get excited? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    Wow! Glad to hear others feeling the way I do. I'm considering a trip to DL, and feeling a little un-enthusiastic. We've been to WDW twice, but we live in Alberta, so the flights are more expensive, and much longer (it took us 18 hours each way the last trip - yikes!). But there just doesn't seem to be much information or buzz....I can't figure out where to stay or where to eat. I've ordered the Unoffical guide and hoping it helps - it was my favourite in planning my WDW trips.
    I have both the Unofficial Guides - Disneyland and WDW. Loved the one for WDW, but disappointed in the Disneyland one. Guess I was just looking for a lot more information. It seems to be so hard to get info on Disneyland.
    After a lot of back and forth - really wanted to stay in the Disneyland Hotel, but can't justify $2000.00 US (CAA rate) for 6 nights in Aug 09, so have booked 9 nights at the Howard Johnsons total of $1,248.21 (CAA rate) for a Premium Disney Facing room. I know that it is not going to be the same as staying onsite in WDW . We will get a 6 day Hopper so that we can take our time to enjoy the parks and use the rest of the time to see the coast of Southern California. We have a 2 1/2 week trip planned as our airfare from Ontario is not cheap.
    We have never been into planning our meals out, so that works out for us. After reading $4 for a Mickey Bar, I am now wondering how much they are in WDW, as none of my family can remember.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Our first trip to DLR was in Dec. '07, and I know exactly what you're feeling. It seemed like a "throw away" trip because it was WDW. Boy, was I wrong. I LOVE DLR, and we're going back April 1 - 4.

I travel with my ECV, and was nervous about being somewhere different, but let me tell you, I never had to get on a single bus. We stayed at Candy Cane Inn, which was a mere five minute "scoot". Everything is right there.

There's not as much to see, but don't miss Aladdin. I actually think that 40 min. show is even better than Lion King. Three attractions are better than WDW. They would be POTC, The Haunted Mansion, and the RR. The monorail scared me because it was so much smaller and banked. I felt like I was going to roll right out.

Finally, you've got to remember that Walt walked in this park. It was his dream, it's original, and his spirit just seems to be there when you look up at that apartment.

You'll have a wonderful time. Let us know when you get back. I'm looking forward to a report.
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

I gotta tell ya, I would go to DL anyday. I love it! It's so special and you can really feel Walt's prescence!

I think there's a lot more to do with a DL vacay than at WDW. With WDW, you usually will be on property primarily and therefore, only see WDW unless you venture out of the resort. With DL, you can stay off-site and not miss out on anything. Some of the rides they have are the originals. I also like DCA. I love to go check out all the aspects of Cali there. At Downtown Disney, a must, at least for me is Naples, it's a great Italian restuarant. I like DL also because hubby and I combine the trip with Vegas or Lake Tahoe.

You can also see LA, Universal, and Knotts as well.

Anna
    June 2006-Disneymoon POR/DCL Wonder
    Sept/Oct-Las Vegas/D-land CCI
    June 2009 Eureka Springs/Branson
    Dec. 2009- Pop Century
    June 2010-Pop Century
    Oct. 2010-CBR/DCL
    Jan. 5-10 ASMU solo
    Oct 24-Nov. 1 AoA/Pop

Tubes are clear....no surgery needed

Disney fanatic, travel writer, foodie

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all of you who have replied. I have been without my computer for 2 weeks so I have had some major withdrawals.

Once I am able to purchase our tickets for travel (April 14th) I am sure it will be more real to me. I know we will love the whole California experience.

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

I shock myself even by saying this - but I might like Disneyland even more then Disney World! I've been to Disneyland twice now and can't help but want to go again soon! Disneyland may not have the dining plans and whatnot that Disney World has, but there is so much it has to offer that Disney World doesn't.

I remember thinking before my first trip to the land that it would seem very small. In reality, it feels very spacious but at the same time so quaint. There really is some kind of magic there that's different than DW. It's like you can tell it was Walt's original park and his presence is still there.

Here's a list of things that I'd be sure to check out as WDW does not offer them:
    * Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
    * Blue Bayou restaurant (overlooking Pirates)
    * The train ride gives you a look at Small World and Splash Mountain
    * the Main Street Electrical Parade in California Adventure
    * Breakfast at the Riverbelle Terrace - it has an outdoor patio where you can eat and take in the park before all the hussle and bussle begin
    * Pirates (the original - with 2 drops!)
    * Small World - much better than the World's IMO
    * Haunted Mansion - it has a walk through part at the beginning before you get to the Doombuggies
    * Matterhorn
    * Indiana Jones ride
    * Animation Academy in California Adventure (they teach you how to draw characters) - I went back about 3 times and learned Tigger, Piglet and Pluto. Others include Mickey, Jack Skellington, etc...
    * Aladdin Stageshow in California Adventure
    * California Adventure in general!

Have a wonderful trip!

ºoº Trips ºoº
    86 – Days Inn
    87, 88 – Cocoa Beach/Pelican Landing
    94, 99, 00, 02 – Fort Wilderness Homes/Cabins
    06 - Paradise Pier
    08 - Candy Cane Inn
    11 - Candy Cane Inn
    11 - MK
    11 - DL Paris
    12 - Coronado Springs
    13 - DL/California Adventure
    14 - All Star Movies
    15 - All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks LittleSpirit02

I guess, it's the unfamiliarity of DL vs. WDW.

I see that you stayed at CCI. We are planning to stay there as well.

Any tips?

Jonsmom

Post Thanks / Like

The Candy Cane Inn was very nice! I was a little skeptical about staying offsite but I would now go back to the CCI in a heartbeat. The rooms were spacious, clean and very comfortable (esp. the beds which is important after walking around all day in the parks). They have a continental breakfast which we usually ate in our room but they also had a nice sitting area by their pool if you want to eat outside. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The day before we left they even printed out our flight tickets for us. Lastly, the walk was easy! You just follow the sidewalk and you're in the parks in no time. They also offer a private CCI only shuttle which we didn't end up using as we like to walk but seemed like a nice option. If you have any questions about DL or the CCI - let me know.

ºoº Trips ºoº
    86 – Days Inn
    87, 88 – Cocoa Beach/Pelican Landing
    94, 99, 00, 02 – Fort Wilderness Homes/Cabins
    06 - Paradise Pier
    08 - Candy Cane Inn
    11 - Candy Cane Inn
    11 - MK
    11 - DL Paris
    12 - Coronado Springs
    13 - DL/California Adventure
    14 - All Star Movies
    15 - All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. It was the first hotel that I looked at when first doing research on DL. It looked adorable. The breakfast is a plus since we will be in CA for 10 days.

The walk seems insignificant compared to all the walking at WDW.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Joanne

Post Thanks / Like

I'm one of those who prefers DL to MK. And I LOVE WDW - don't get me wrong. We go there a lot and we're grateful. But DL is so unique - how they fit so much charm and fun into such a small place...

And there are still tons of things you can do ONLY at DL - New Orleans Square, Matterhorn, Indiana Jones, Alice in Wonderland and Mr. Toad (and several other Fantasyland attractions), the ORIGINAL Tiki Room, California Screamin' (best Disney roller coaster!), and of course, all of California Adventure.

I think once you get there you will see what's so special about such a small and comparatively humble place. You'll love it!

And I thought I loved Fantasmic until I saw it in DL - unbelievable! You are right up next to the show - don't miss it!
    Shelley, Happy DW of bear_necessity.
    DVC owners: SSR since 2007
    Remain seated please. Permenecer sentados, por favor.

Last trip: DLHotel in May
    Next trip: ?? Vero maybe...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Smiles View Post
    have booked 9 nights at the Howard Johnsons total of $1,248.21 (CAA rate) for a Premium Disney Facing room. I know that it is not going to be the same as staying onsite in WDW . .
    You might feel differently when you see how close to the Parks you are. Much closer than at any WDW resort. When you look out the window of a very "normal" priced hotel and see the Parks and then go out and walk to the front gate...well, it's pretty cool.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems like I am hearing from alot of folks who prefer DL to WDW.

I guess I am a Type A planner and love to plan. At WDW you plan an itinerary and meals based upon the parks you want to visit.

DL-I just don't have an idea. I guess we will just park hop based on shows, etc.

Once I book my travel, I will get more excited I am sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me also add that you really should make at least a couple of ADRs (actually, I think at DL, it's still PS): Blue Bayou is a must. But there are several others of note and just like at WDW, if you don't have a ressie, you'll be hungry and waiting and disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

DixieLandings

I checked out the menu at Blue Bayou & nothing really screams out at me. Any other suggestions?

We will be travelling with an 11 year old.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonsmom View Post
    DixieLandings

I checked out the menu at Blue Bayou & nothing really screams out at me. Any other suggestions?

We will be travelling with an 11 year old.
    If you want a sit-down in the park the only other option is Cafe Orleans -- and although the ambiance is better at BB, the food is much better at Cafe Orleans -- and to be honest, it's nice to be outside looking over the Rivers of America during your meal.

If you don't want a table service there is great food at Plaza Inn right on Main Street -- the best fried chicken and good kid options!
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Michael. I am thinking Carnation Cafe as well. I have read positive reviews about this as well.

We have eaten at Plaza Inn @ WDW and it was very good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonsmom View Post
    Thanks Michael. I am thinking Carnation Cafe as well. I have read positive reviews about this as well.

We have eaten at Plaza Inn @ WDW and it was very good.
    OH yeah ... I always forget about Carnation Cafe as a dinner spot, that's my favorite breakfast in the park! I have done dinner there 1x and it was a good choice. I think Plaza Inn is different at WDW vs. DLR ... or at least that's what I remember someone telling me. I haven't done it at WDW unfortunately.

Please s

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on Cafe Orleans. Some of the food is the same as BB (take the Monte Cristo for example) and don't forget to order a side of their fries...yummy!

I'm not a fan of the Plaza Inn though. I wouldn't recommend it.

Carnation Cafe is very good, especially for breakfast. It's one of the only places to have a sit down breakfast in the park.
    Melissa

Disneyland - too many times to count
    Poly 2007
    3 day Cruise Wonder 2007
    4 day Cruise Wonder 2000-2001 (New Years Cruise) Honeymoon
    Beach Club 2000 Honeymoon
    Poly 98
    3 day Cruise Magic 98
    Tokyo Disneyland 1994

Post Thanks / Like

The pizza place by Space Mountain (name escapes me right now) is also a good choice with an 11 year-old. The pizza is okay (kids love it), but they also have salads and other pastas for the kids or adults. We eat there almost every time we hit the park. Oh, and I have an almost 11 year-old boy, he recommends the pasta bolognese.

2000 - Infinity: DLR Premium Annual Passholder
    Sixty minutes from my front door to Sleeping Beauty's Castle!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aisling View Post
    The pizza place by Space Mountain (name escapes me right now) is also a good choice with an 11 year-old. The pizza is okay (kids love it), but they also have salads and other pastas for the kids or adults. We eat there almost every time we hit the park. Oh, and I have an almost 11 year-old boy, he recommends the pasta bolognese.
    Redd Rocket's Pizza Port is the name. There's quite a few good items here, but the pizza isn't one of them -- for a good salad try the Chinese Chicken Salad!

Please s

Post Thanks / Like

The Pizza Port has one dish called Chicken Fusuli....YUMMMYYY!! It is basically a twisty pasta with a pesto, alfredo sauce, shredded parmesan, a smoked chicken breast and sun dried tomatoes. It is so good! It can easily serve two adults. My dh and I usually split that and an order of breadsticks.
    Melissa

Disneyland - too many times to count
    Poly 2007
    3 day Cruise Wonder 2007
    4 day Cruise Wonder 2000-2001 (New Years Cruise) Honeymoon
    Beach Club 2000 Honeymoon
    Poly 98
    3 day Cruise Magic 98
    Tokyo Disneyland 1994

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: