Quantcast Where to Stay not in Disneyland - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I've stayed right next to the Ramada Plaza Hotel Anaheim-South before. Sorry I can't tell you about the hotel itself, but I can at least tell you the Garden Walk is within walking distance if you're interested in that. Last time I was there, there were little pizza and chinese eateries that had decent food at the corner of Katella and Harbor. And there is a stop in front of the hotel for the Anaheim Resort shuttle should you need to hop up to DL for some reason after all.

Oct 10 Grand Californian
    Dec 09 Beach Club
    Jul 09 Grand Californian
    Dec 08 Grand Californian
    May 08 Grand Floridian
    Feb 08 Grand Californian
    Oct 07 Yacht Club
    May 07 Disneyland Hotel
    Dec 06 Grand Californian
    Feb 06 Contemporary

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We're going to stay in Santa Monica for a couple of nights, and then go to DL - it breaks up the trip a bit and provides a chance for a little local "flavor".
    Everybody's got a laughing place - trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Well after going back and forth what seemed like a hundred times, we have finally booked a hotel. This sure ISN'T WDW
    We have booked the Howard Johnson's. Just could not justify $2000.00 US CAA rate plus approx 23% exchange for 6 nights at the Disneyland Hotel. So instead of 6 nights, we are now staying in the HoJo for 9 nights, deluxe Disney view for $120.00 a night (plus tax & exchange). Could have opted for an even cheaper room, but decided on this one. I have to say that I am a little disappointed, but will live with it. I don't understand how the Disneyland Resorts manage to keep going at those rates in this economy.
    So we have now booked our Las Vegas portion - Mandalaya Bay, our Los Angeles portion - Hilton Universal and finally our Disneyland portion - Howard Johnsons. Should overall be a great 2 1/2 week vacation. With the extra days in Anaheim, we will have lots of time to see Disney, beaches and lots of the surrounding areas. Might even have time to throw a shopping mall into the vacation.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

You will be amazed how much there is to do there! I absolutely love DL! It's smaller than WDW but so charming! When you walk in the gates at Disneyland Park, be prepared to feel it....you can feel Walt's prescence! At least I did.

Here's what I would suggest for your trip:
    Check out Anaheim Gardenwalk and go to the Rocky Mountain Candy shop I think that's what it's called. You can get a ton of chocolate candy for not a lot of $.

Be sure to try California Pizza Kitchen at the Gardenwalk....it is to die for!

At Disneyland, the rides not to be missed are: Splash Mountain, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (found only at DL), Pirates of the Carribbean, The Matterhorn (also found only at DL), and the tea cups. At DCA, check out Grizzly River Rapids, It's a Bug's Life, Cali Screamin, and Toy Story Mania.

Be sure when you're in Anaheim to go to this restaurant, Tiffy's. It is sooo good and the atmosphere is a turn of the century vibe. You can look up the location on the internet.

Universal is fun too. Citywalk is not to be missed! They have some great eateries and souveneir shops.

HTH.

Anna
    June 2006-Disneymoon POR/DCL Wonder
    Sept/Oct-Las Vegas/D-land CCI
    June 2009 Eureka Springs/Branson
    Dec. 2009- Pop Century
    June 2010-Pop Century
    Oct. 2010-CBR/DCL
    Jan. 5-10 ASMU solo
    Oct 24-Nov. 1 AoA/Pop

Tubes are clear....no surgery needed

Disney fanatic, travel writer, foodie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kennywife View Post
    Here's what I would suggest for your trip:
    Check out Anaheim Gardenwalk and go to the Rocky Mountain Candy shop I think that's what it's called. You can get a ton of chocolate candy for not a lot of $.
    Anna
    If the Rocky Mountain Candy shop is the same as the one in Banff, Alberta, then I can't wait. I love that shop. We have one in Ottawa, but it does not carry the same items as the one in Banff. I will keep my fingers crossed for my coconut brittle.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend the Howard Johnson or the Candy Cane Inn as the cleanest, safest hotels, in my opinion, Beside the obvious choice OF the Disney Hotels.
    Last edited by Melanie; 03-02-2009 at 02:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

We were just there in Feb. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza resort on Harbor Blvd. It was a very nice hotel. The shuttle ran every half hour. The hot tub was awesome and the staff very helpful. If there was any noise we didn't hear it. The cleaning staff was great and always had our room clean as soon as we left the room each morning. Would definitely stay there again.
    TRACEY

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at the Howard Johnsons and really enjoyed this hotel. The rooms were nice and large and really clean!! We would definitely stay there again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Smiles View Post
    Well after going back and forth what seemed like a hundred times, we have finally booked a hotel. This sure ISN'T WDW
    We have booked the Howard Johnson's. Just could not justify $2000.00 US CAA rate plus approx 23% exchange for 6 nights at the Disneyland Hotel. So instead of 6 nights, we are now staying in the HoJo for 9 nights, deluxe Disney view for $120.00 a night (plus tax & exchange). Could have opted for an even cheaper room, but decided on this one. I have to say that I am a little disappointed, but will live with it. I don't understand how the Disneyland Resorts manage to keep going at those rates in this economy.
    Okay, I couldn't justify paying $2000.00 for 6 nights so booked at HoJos. So out comes the pay for 3 nights get 2 free, so what do I do? I get Magical Journey's to book us 7 nights at the Grand Californian. We added 2 nights onto our stay in Los Angeles at the Hilton and took 2 nights off our DIsneyland stay. After discussing it with DH, we decided since we will probably never be back to DIsneyland, we might at well splurge. So goodbye Howard Johnson's, Hello Grand Californian! I must be out of my mind.
    Now our vacation is 5 nights in Las Vegas, Mandalay Bay, 5 nights in Los Angeles Universal Hilton and 7 nights at the Grand Californian. Should be a great vacation!
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I couldn't justify paying $2000.00 for 6 nights so booked at HoJos. So out comes the pay for 3 nights get 2 free, so what do I do? I get Magical Journey's to book us 7 nights at the Grand Californian. We added 2 nights onto our stay in Los Angeles at the Hilton and took 2 nights off our DIsneyland stay. After discussing it with DH, we decided since we will probably never be back to DIsneyland, we might at well splurge. So goodbye Howard Johnson's, Hello Grand Californian! I must be out of my mind.
    Now our vacation is 5 nights in Las Vegas, Mandalay Bay, 5 nights in Los Angeles Universal Hilton and 7 nights at the Grand Californian. Should be a great vacation!
    Awesome! I just stayed at the GCH for the first time a few weeks ago and I really loved it. It was SO nice to be a few steps from bring right inside DCA, and just a short walk in the other direction to get to the main gates of either park. Be sure and eat a lunch at White Water Snacks at the GCH ... it's a nice relaxing eatery and its right across from where the Miner 49ers play at DCA, so you might luck out and get some live music wih your meal! The nachos at White Water are outstanding!
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NotaGeek View Post
    Awesome! I just stayed at the GCH for the first time a few weeks ago and I really loved it. It was SO nice to be a few steps from bring right inside DCA, and just a short walk in the other direction to get to the main gates of either park. Be sure and eat a lunch at White Water Snacks at the GCH ... it's a nice relaxing eatery and its right across from where the Miner 49ers play at DCA, so you might luck out and get some live music wih your meal! The nachos at White Water are outstanding!
    Was just reading some of the reviews of White Water Snacks. Definitely sounds like our type of restaurant! Will probably frequent that place. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Now to find a good character breakfast.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Was just reading some of the reviews of White Water Snacks. Definitely sounds like our type of restaurant! Will probably frequent that place. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Now to find a good character breakfast.
    IMO the best character breakfast is at Goofy's Kitchen ... good food, great character interaction and it's a total hodgepodge of characters. You never know who you're gonna see! My second choice would be the PCH Grill, lots of options and also great Character interaction.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

You will love the GC. It was designed by the same architecht who did the Wilderness Lodge. It is beautiful. I've been to DL twice. Once we stayed at GC and the other Ramada Maingate. I will never stay offsite there again. You made the right decision. It sounds like you are taking the vacation we are planning for next summer. I can't wait to read your reports.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

I would highly recommend the Candy Cane Inn. We've stayed there last summer and onsite at Paradise Pier the trip prior to that. We had a great experience at both hotels but the Candy Cane Inn was much better price wise. We had excellent service, our room was nice and the beds were incredibly comfortable which was perfect after all that walking in the parks. They offer a continental breakfast, a nice pool with a sitting area and private shuttle service to and from the parks. We ended up walking just because we enjoy it and it was a very short (and nice) walk into the parks. The walk was no longer than going from Paradise Pier. Walking back at night was fun, actually, cause the streets were lit and as you walk back you could see attractions like Tower of Terror lit. It had a nice atmosphere. We'd definitely go back to the Candy Cane Inn again - and I'm one who was skeptical of offsite hotels so that's saying something.

ºoº Trips ºoº
    86 – Days Inn
    87, 88 – Cocoa Beach/Pelican Landing
    94, 99, 00, 02 – Fort Wilderness Homes/Cabins
    06 - Paradise Pier
    08 - Candy Cane Inn
    11 - Candy Cane Inn
    11 - MK
    11 - DL Paris
    12 - Coronado Springs
    13 - DL/California Adventure
    14 - All Star Movies