Quantcast Help me convince my wife.

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help me convince my wife.

We will be making our 1st trip to FT. Wilderness in March (21st to 28th) and I need to convince my wife that it'll still be a good Disney trip. (she's spoiled from staying at the resorts) Her main complaint seems to be not wanting to cook every night in the TT but it's a nice trailer (27' TT w/ slide). It just seems that every perk I mention or anything I say about how we'll be saving money seems to bring her down ? Can some of you ladies tell me somethings about FW that I can take to her to try and brighten her Disney trip ? I don't want to eat out much either because this is a budgeted trip.
    16 trips to "The World"

Last trip - April 2018 - Polynesian
    Next trip to WDW - December 2018 - Beach club

"Disneyworld will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there's imagination left in the world."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried the angle that she will be staying in her own "room" that thousands of other people haven't stayed in? FW is a lot of fun especially if you are used to camping. Combining the great outdoors with the magic of Disney can't be beat!

Post Thanks / Like

Are you renting the trailer or do you own it? If it's yours, Bad Kitty's point is well taken--you'll just be dealling with your own germs. That's one of the reasons DW likes using our RV.

Have you tried offering to do some of the cooking? It might help if she knew she wouldn't spend the whole vacation working.
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say I don't blame her for not wanting to cook every night on vacation. As the PP said, can you offer to do the cooking at least a couple of nights to give her a break? And maybe budget in going out a couple of nights as well to make it feel more like a vacation. That might be a good compromise if you can still stay within your budget.

Post Thanks / Like

Try the access to other,far more reasonably priced, restaurants angle....if you leave Fort Wilderness and turn left instead of right, it will take you (fairly quickly due to light traffic and few traffic lights) to the area outside of Downtown Disney where Joe's Crab Shack, Fridays, IHOP, etc are located...there are lots more eating choices and since your at FW you'll have a car to get there.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Try the access to other (far more reasonably priced restaurant angle)....if you leave Fort Wilderness and turn left instead of right (and then turn right where that road hits a t intersection), it will take you (fairly quickly due to light traffic and few traffic lights) to the area outside of Downtown Disney where Joe's Crab Shack, Fridays, IHOP, etc are located. Lots more eating choices and since your at FW you'll have a car to get there.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Tell her it will be an experience just like the movie RV with Robin Williams...OH NO...wait ...REFRAIN at all costs possible that she DOES NOT see that movie before you go lol...She will surely refuse to go at that point lol... I believe with the other PP's...and maybe you can surprise her with buying her something sweet or nice that you havent done before on arrival with the "money you've saved"...Then it will start the whole vacation off on a good note, because you showed her you used the money you saved on her....Or figure out a dinning plan where every other night she cook/you help cook...and the others spring for something reasonably cheap somewhere close like Mousemates mentioned. I too would not be happy about cooking while on vacation unless it was an absolute necessity to save money.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

I know you asked for ladies opinions on this, but I think I'll chime in anyway.

I do almost all of the cooking on vacation. Vacations are an opportunity to get away from the real world, and if I'm asking her to continue to do her "job", then I'm not being fair to her.

I enjoy doing this, and she gets to kick back, like we are supposed to be doing.

So, I'm sorry. I think she has a valid complaint. Offer to pitch in and take over that "job" while you are there. And mean it.
    JR
    '86 Ramada Inn somewhere in Orlando :P
    '95 All Star Sports
    '00 All Star Music
    '03 Fort Wilderness
    '06 Fort Wilderness
    '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge

'09 Fort Wilderness
    '12 All Star Movies
    '13 Pop Century
    '14 Fort Wilderness
    '15 Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

Fort WIlderness is a great place to stay. You will have so many experiences that you can't have at the other resorts: taking the boat to Magic Kingdom, the campfire sing-a-long and movie every night, the Meadows Trading post, the horse barn. If you have bikes, take them along and ride around at night and look at the decorated campsites. Get creative with your meals - take a crock pot along and let your meal cook while you are gone to the parks. Is there anything you could prepare at home ahead of time, freeze, and bring along so you can reheat quickly? Remember, any week at Disney is better than a week at home and besides, it's the happiest place on the earth!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input so far, (even though I think you got side tracked on the cooking thing), I always do my share of the cooking, even at home. We all have our little jobs to do to save here and there, especially in this economy. (Me pulling the trailer 10 hrs each way while the rest of them sleep). #5 need more input.
    16 trips to "The World"

"Disneyworld will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there's imagination left in the world."

Post Thanks / Like

I know this might sound a little like "Oh you need something to make your trip happy, something materialistic" but Im thing something small. Like maybe have a one of the Princess baskets, I forget what they are called, she will never be expecting it. Or maybe even before you leave shop around for some disney keepskaes, all little things and put together a gift basket for you. And maybe if you call the lodge before you leave and ship it there they can deliver it to her. Leave a personalized romantic love letter or something with it. She will never be expecting it and would be a great surprise. It would start off the vacation with the just the right note. She will be completely blown away and surprised. I think thats what I would do. I know I would be so happy the rest of the trip over such a romantic sweet thought. If you need any ideas if this suits you, of what to put in the basket, PM and I will more than happy to help you.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

We like FW, but I personally cannot think of anything special about it that does not apply to the Disney hotels other than they do have a nice beach and you can go to the beach during the evening MK fireworks and watch from there. You can't hear the music, but you see the fireworks. Also there is a water parade with a few lighted water floats that pretty cute. That also is viewed from the beach I think at 9:45 p.m.
    As for cooking, I totally don't blame her for not wanting to cook, plus there is the clean-up after each meal. This probably isn't for everyone, but we take nothing but microwaveable foods and sandwiches. Then we use paper plates and plastic forks, etc. Not only am I not very willing to spend time cooking/cleaning, but it really does take up a lot of time. Maybe if you could come up with quick, easy meals with little clean up, that would be better for both of you.

Post Thanks / Like

We are going to FW in April - I like going to disney both ways - staying in the resorts is great because you are pampered but FW is nice because it is your own place

I also like the trip down in the RV - it is fun and lengthens the trip (and excitement) also you do not feel so bad when you leave because your trip is not quite over yet (especially if you plan a stop on the way home)

I wouls def agree with the above about cooking. I do not go on vacation to cook - when we camp I agree to eat breakfast in the RV and even lunch (late lunch after an early morning in the park) but dinners are for restaurants!
    GMGDISNEYMOM
    6/14 BCV
    7/13 DL-Paradise Pier
    4/12 AKL
    12/11 SSR
    11/10 VWL
    11/09 AKL
    4/09 FWC
    10/08 - VWL
    6/08 BV (1st DVC trip!)
    1/08 - AKL
    4/07 - FWC
    12/96 - OKW
    5/88- C
    11/84 - LBVV
    11/77 - C

Post Thanks / Like

I think it boils down to - does she like camping or not? We love to camp - just about anywhere! If you enjoy camping then the Fort is one of the best campgrounds anywhere, and you all will love it. If camping is not her cup of tea, then camping (even at the Fort) probably won't be either

Ultimately, we love the break we get from camping at the Fort. We can go back to our motorhome, sit outside (instead of in a hotel room) and enjoy a glass of wine and a beer. The kids have room to get out and do thier thing or go in and play video games. When we're recharged we head back to the parks.
    Happy Campers!
    Brad, Laurie, Lee 23, Evan 16 & pups Bailey & Molly, +1 crazy cat named Tyber

You spent three days lying on a beach, drinking rum?... Welcome to the Caribbean, Love. (ie. Elizabeth Swan & Captain Jack Sparrow)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with FloridaTeacher--Does she like to camp? My DW and DD's both love camping-and we go to FW without visiting any of the parks-just to experience "the magic". We watch the fireworks and DW & I sit on the porch and watch DD's play on the playground. It's nice being in our home-away from home!! Have a great trip!!
    Trips
    WDW-------1998 Offsite
    POR-------- 06/99
    ASMv------ 03/02
    CSR-------- 07/03
    ASMu------ 12/04
    ASMv------ 12/05
    CSR-------- 07/06
    FWH------- 12/06
    ASMv------ 03/07
    CSR-------- 07/07
    POP-------- 12/07
    POP-------- 01/08
    DCL-------- 04/08 DW 4 nights (1st cruise)
    FW -------- 07/08

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input everyone. You're probably right about the "Does she like to camp or not", I grew up camping and she didn't. Tent camping and pop-ups she won't do, i thought I had it wiped when I went out and bought this TT but it's turning out to be more of a fight than I thought it would.
    16 trips to "The World"

Post Thanks / Like

When we go camping(tent camping), we usually cook breakfast, sandwich for lunch and for dinner, it is one night cooking and one night at the restaurant...and the kids help to do the dishes. But....for our trip to WDW, we are making a little extra special....we are doing the dinning plan!!!!! I am so happy we can have it so we can experience many of the caracter dinning....and also this way we dont have to pack the cooking equipment (a little less to take on the plane!). I don't know if you did some camping together before, but some persons are a little affraid of camping at first because it look like it is not as comfortable or it is complicated...but when you try it, you just want to go again and again! Hope you find a way you can both enjoy a magical trip !!!
    Fort wilderness april 2009 with the kids and the most wonderfull husband and father...

Post Thanks / Like

Another woman here that seconds not wanting to cook every night, or most nights for that matter, even if dh did haul the camper there for the 12 hour drive. We'll be camping in May (in a pop up no less) but have added the dining plan, just the counter service as more within our budget without me having to cook too much. I still like the occasional steak or burger on the grill though I do like camping but don't particularly enjoy the cooking part of it.

Now, off that note, everyone is different. And if eating in the TT is important, how about precooking a few meals before going down?There are tons of camping websites that give great dishes you can prepare in advance and take with you. Just keep em cool until you can get there and get em in the refrigerator and most are great reheated. There is also the option of crock pot meals that she (you) could put in in the morning and when you get back to your site, it'll be ready for you. HTH. Have a great trip!!!!!!

PS.. Try not to look at her not wanting to cook as complaining or being spoiled as you put it. Even if you think it, Lord please don't say it, lol. She's trying to tell u something that is important to her to add to her enjoyment of the vacation. Try listening. Not that you're not, but maybe your way of responding to her concerns makes her feel you're not taking her concerns seriously. Maybe it's less about the cooking and more about feeling like she's "expected to". JMHO.
    [I]Hello. We are the Bradshaws. And We are Disneyholics.

September 2000- Music
    June 2004- Pop
    June 2006- Movies
    February 2008- Offsite (Won't Do That Again!)
    May 2009- First Ever Disney Camping Trip!
    June 2011- Pop
    Feb 2012- Sports
    Dec 2012- Movies
    May 2014- Pop

Post Thanks / Like

When we were there in 2007 we got the food package. 4 ppl 2 adults 2 kids. 11 days $1100 dollars. You might think thats alot. When you think about it thats $25 a day per person for a sit down meal, one counter service meal, and a snack everyday. $25 a day per person is cheap and your wife and you wont have to cook. You will be spending close to that in food and time not spent relaxing / in the parks. Both my wife and I agree Fort = no cooking. JMO

Post Thanks / Like

Camping is not for everyone. Even in a travel trailer. My experience is that even in the nicest tt, the bathroom is quite small. There is no maid service, you have to keep things cleaned up yourself. And the thought of cooking on vacation just isn't pleasant for some people. If your wife wasn't really on board with buying the tt, perhaps you need to take some time to talk this out and see if there is something you can do to make it a better vacation for her.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: