Quantcast JUST BACK! - DisneyJunkie's 1/26 - 1/31 Trip Report

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default JUST BACK! - WDWRox's 1/26 - 1/31 Trip Report

Well, we're home! We got back to our town around 1:30 this morning, unloaded the car and headed home and our heads didn't touch our own pillows in our own bed until around 2:00 am.

What a trip we just came back from......it certainly was a unique experience, I'll put it that way. Our normal trip is just my DW and I (we have no children nor plans for any, either) and this time we had a single mother friend come along with her two children (ages 3 & 10), and another friend as well who stayed with them.

I will preface this official report by categorically stating that I will NEVER take another WDW with anyone who has kids under the age of 15. Period. I'm done with that. Between the constant "I want this, this, this, this...." in every park and every shop we stopped in (both kids) to the 10-year-old throwing a crying fit just as she's about to go on a ride, and the mother not doing enough to disciple her kids, I was going out of my mind with aggravation. My wife was, as well.

Now.....our vacation took advantage of the "buy 4 nights, get 3 free" deal that was going on and we managed to book a stay at the Caribbean Beach Resort (staying in the Aruba area) and we had the 7 day park hoppers and the dining plan as well. We drove down and back and I think it was a wise decision to refrain from going to the park right away. We got down on Saturday, 1/24 and decided not to use a day of going to the parks until our last day, yesterday 1/31......to kind of wear out the kids so they'd sleep on the ride back. We all pretty much agreed that we wouldn't need to go back to the CBR again. Basically for the following reasons: (1) It was barely a step up from a Day's Inn or EconoLodge, in terms of the quality of the rooms. (2) The beds were way too small, as well as the bathroom which was ridiculously tiny. (3) The food court was a joke, as was the distance we had to walk from our rooms just to get to it. Normally we'll get a refillable mug from the resort we stay in, and this time we figured it just wasn't worth it. If we wanted a hot chocolate or something, it would have gotten cold by the time we were 3/4 from getting back to the room. (4) We don't care for the fact that the outside door to the room actually faces the outside. We feel more secure when you go into a building, down an inside hallway and then get to your room.

As far as the other parts of the trip are concerned, my wife and I are avid WDW-visitors and for the most part our other cohorts were first-timers. So we ended up doing a lot of "never done before" things on this trip. This includes the following:

* "The Magic of Disney Animation" - (This was an ok exhibit. We mainly went in because the 10 year old was all about getting autographs and photos with as many Disney characters as she could find. I think she ended up with about 43, and picked up a bunch in here.)

* "The Voyage of the Little Mermaid" - (Was my life changed by taking in this attraction? No. Was it enjoyable? Somewhat. Would I need to ever see it again? Not particularly.)

* "Festival of the Lion King" - (Same thoughts as on "Little Mermaid" above.)

* Coral Reef Restaurant - (Hands down, this was everyone's favorite restaurant during our entire stay. We ate there for lunch early in the week, and decided to cancel a character breakfast later in the week when it turned very cold and rainy, and made another lunch reservation here. I got the grilled chicken breast since I hate seafood and my wife is allergic to it. The food was fantastic and the view of the aquarium while we ate was terrific. There were even a few divers in the tank coming up and fooling around in there for the little kids.)

* Goofy's Barnstormer - (I was surprised at how slightly wild this was for a roller coaster aimed at small children. But I'd never ridden it before and I see no need to again.)

* Magic Carpets of Aladdin - (Ehhh. If you've done Dumbo, you've done this ride. No big whoop.)

* Living With the Land - (All this time I've always dismissed it as some boring gardening ride/show. It was actually very interesting. I'd do it again.....not as a "must see", but something I'd go on again.)

During this trip I'd also done some attractions that I hadn't been on in probably over 20 years, such as Small World, Jungle Cruise, Tea Cups, Tomorrowland Speedway. I don't quite despise them as I had before, but I wouldn't go on them unless I was with others who really wanted to. (But then we also didn't have time to ride some of my usual faves, like Haunted Mansion or Test Track, but oh well.)

The weather during this week was terrific.....up until late in the day on Thursday when the rain moved in, along with the cold. We'd been enjoying weather in the 75-80 range most of the week, with lots of sun, and then suddenly for Thursday and Friday (and Saturday morning) the temps only got from 50-60 and cold rainy drizzle.

The wait times for the rides were extremely manageable......except for Toy Story Mania. One morning we arrived at the park when it opened for the day and I got pushed along with the mob as the gate dropped and everyone went in, either to the ride directly or to the fastpasses. We managed to get 2 fastpasses and all enjoyed the ride greatly. I found that more than I was used to, the rides in the parks had longer POSTED wait times than the actual wait was itself.

And where did we eat this week? Besides the Coral Reef (twice), that is? We ate at 1900 Park Fare (dinner) where aside from the Strawberry Soup, it wasn't very good food. The same went for the Crystal Palace dinner buffet as well. 'Ohana was typically great (although we were a party of 4 rather than 6 because the 3 year old got sick). We also at at the Electric Umbrella, Pinocchio's Village Haus, Whispering Canyon Cafe, 50's Diner, Lotus Blossom Cafe, and they were all good. I just don't understand how they do things sometimes with the meal plan. In one place you could get ample refills even on shakes (Whispering Canyon) and in another (50's Diner) you couldn't. In some places they'd throw in a side salad, and in others someone in our party had to give up a desert in order to have a salad thrown in.

The 10 year old was particularly annoying when it came to rides she would adamantly refuse to go on (for no reason whatsoever), only to turn around later on and go back, try them, and absolutely love them (i.e. Space Mountain, and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad). She even said the TTA gave her the "creeps". She didn't thrown her biggest tantrum until she nearly got on RnRC......crying and carrying on even until well after they'd exited and we got off the ride. The 3 year old was more than willing to try rides the 10 year old wouldn't.....i.e. Splash Mountain. But he had his moments on other things, particularly in not being able to get his ride on TSM when the wait was 70 minutes or not getting a toy in a store we went into.

But all in all.......we had a very nice week with them all, particularly in watching them experience things for the first time that we've done countless times ourselves. That certainly was great fun. My wife and I are used to staying in places like the Poly, Wilderness Lodge, or the Boardwalk.....so the CBR was quite a step down from them. My next goal is to stay in a tower room at the Contemporary at least once. But in this economy and with things getting tighter and tighter.....I just don't know when that can happen.

Looking forward to my next trip, though....
    Sep 12 - Wilderness Lodge
    Jan 11 - Polynesian
    Sep 09 - Wilderness Lodge
    Jan 09 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    Sep 08 - Wilderness Lodge
    Sep 06 - Boardwalk Villas
    Sep 05 - Polynesian
    Sep 03 - Polynesian
    Sep 01 - Wilderness Lodge
    May 03 - Fort Wilderness
    March 85 - Offsite

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm sorry your experience with the kids was less then magical...Just like all adults have different temperments, so do children...Please know that many kids, (I'd say MOST) kids are delightful and its amazing to experience WDW through their eyes.
    I appreciated all of your insights, and enjoyed your report! Thanks for sharing
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Actually the annoyances with the kiddies and the disappointment in the resort were relatively minor issues with me. We still had a great time, more so because of watching the WDW newbies take in everything as it was so new to them.
    Jan 11 - Polynesian
    Sep 05 - Polynesian
    Sep 03 - Polynesian
    May 03 - Fort Wilderness
    March 85 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Well, It sounds like you had a fairly decent trip to WDW. At least eating at the Coral Reef was a good experience after all the disappointments you encountered. It's sometimes hard to judge how some kids will react to being in WDW, and it sounds like the 10-year-old you went with is pretty used to getting her way, so the trip became all about her wants and needs. Sorry you had some bad moments, but I'm sure you won't be making the same mistake twice. Thanks for sharing
    Kimberly a.k.a. Your Magical Guide
    Visited WDW:
    03/2018 - POFQ (Bldg. 2)
    05/2017 - POR (Oak Manor - Royal Guest Room)
    09/2011 - POR (Oak Manor)
    03/2009 - CBR (Martinique)
    03/2007 - Offsite
    03/2004 - Offsite
    03/2003 - Offsite
    03/1998 - Offsite
    10/1995 - Offsite
    07/1988 - Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Actually there were several pretty cool moments.....like the first time we took them over to The Seas with Nemo & Friends. When we got to the section with the large viewing windows for looking into the aquarium, we looked down and there was Mickey himself suited up and swimming in the tank with the fishes. The little 3 year old we were with puts his hands up on the glass and Mickey did the same, almost playing "paddy-cake" through the glass with each other.

I also got to be there for the daily opening of two more parks, AK and HS (I'd done the MK opening several years ago), and I got to take in the Epcot Reflections of Earth fireworks show that I'd never seen before. And I got to enjoy the delicious Strawberry Soup at 1900 Park Fare when we went for dinner. (The buffet meal itself wasn't much to write home about, but that soup was great.)
    Jan 11 - Polynesian
    Sep 05 - Polynesian
    Sep 03 - Polynesian
    May 03 - Fort Wilderness
    March 85 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Default kids are not that bad.

Nice report- i got a few chuckles and totally understood your comments about the kids. But ..
    I think you need to point out the real issue, its probably not he kid ,its the parents.
    Once i went with a neice and nephew that were horrific- It actually made our stay alot worse because they screamed and carried on. Mostly because my sister doesnt now how to say no. Truthfuly it was such a bad trip i told my wife " i am not sure i want kids if all of them are like that.." I didnt realize that my sister never became a parent and tried too hard to be a friend..
    But i can say that my kids are very good and i have gotten compliments for their being well behaved. Now , we dont condone hitting them and We dont discipline our kids too much or anything crazy, all we do is teach them how to act by experiencing things and letting them understand how to act. They learn to be responsible for their actions etc..Plus we let them try ride early on so they have no fears ...
    Kids are a product of how they are raised, you cant blame a 10 year old for acting badly. he/she might not know any better. The person responsible for teaching and mentoring them does. So your motto might change from " i wont go with any kids under 15 " to i wont go with parents who dont raise their kids properly"...
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

Good point about the kids, and you're right.....it goes back to the parenting. Unfortunately, their parents are in an ugly separation period right now and the one without custody had a tendency to feed ugly things to the kids about their mother, and the 10 year old certainly knew how to play one parents off the other to get her way.

But with a 3 year old screaming "I hate you mommy" and trying to hit and scratch the mom just because he couldn't have his way......if that kid had been me I'd have been taken to the bathroom and popped on the butt a few times or the hand. I definitely condone spanking (NOT beating) a child. I grew up with it and it taught me well and certainly didn't teach me that hitting is OK (as some will argue). IMO, giving a kid a "time out" is garbage. The 3 year old threw his hissy fits a few times, one was because he wanted to go on Toy Story Midway Mania and we knew it was about a 50 minute wait and decided that wasn't how we wanted to spend that much time. So what did they do just a little while later after he calmed down somewhat? Took him right to it. The 10 year old kept talking herself out of going on a ride and when she finally got the nerve up and went on SM and BTTM, she ended up loving them. We tried to get her on RnRc, but she threw a crying hissy of her own, looking for the exit the whole time (like she did the first time we tried to get her on BTTM). I'd have forced her on the ride, but that's just me.
    Jan 11 - Polynesian
    Sep 05 - Polynesian
    Sep 03 - Polynesian
    May 03 - Fort Wilderness
    March 85 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks for the Report!
    șoș David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

THanks for sharing
    Rebecca
    mom of Jenna (Cindewella) & Lucy (Sleepingbooty)

Next visit: September 2010, Caribbean Beach Resort

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the trip report, I just got back myself from a solo trip 1/25 to 2/1, and can certainly sympathize. I'm not married, but my brother is, and I completely agree with what one of the previous posters said about kids having meltdowns and whatnot being the fault of the parents, not the kids themselves. There were alot of screaming ankle-biters at WDW (that goes with the turf) but I did see alot of parents behaving badly as well.
    BTW, if our paths crossed, I was the young guy in a suit or sports jacket at the MK or Epcot.
    "Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives..."

Post Thanks / Like

It can be a bit trying to travel with others! Glad to hear you had a number of wonderful moments in your group trip!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: