Quantcast Tiki room fans look here

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tiki room fans look here

An older question I know but which do you prefer, older version like in DL or under new management?

I personally like the classic much better Iago's voice is just is too annoying.

Also does anyone know where to get an MP3 of the classic version's music? Preferrably in its entirety.
    2014 POR Alligator Bayou & Beach Club.
    1978-2007 Several Visits off Property.

"Come to the Tiki Room...No one ever takes a Siesta"

"Parents hold your kids by the hair and we're clear"

"I am happy to see they brought back Orange Bird!!"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Uh ... to me it's not even a contest ... I hate the new one. I haven't gone in there in years.

There are tons of official Disney albums with the old Tiki Room song on them. Try Amazon (use the INTERCOT link, please!) ... you should be able to find a lot to choose from.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Definitely the original~

I still love the original score and I do tolerate the new show, but find it to be rather obnoxious.
    I don't mind the addition of the newer bird characters, but I think it could be toned down significantly . . .maybe more in keeping with the more tropical exotic theme??
    It is still one of my favorite shows. I just don't think that the addition was given a great deal of thought before implemented and ended up being poorly done.
    I still hold hope that they may rectify it someday . . . .
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jclightchasr View Post
    An older question, I know, but which do you prefer, older version like in DL or under new management?

I personally like the classic much better Iago's voice is just is too annoying.
    I couldn't agree more! I can't stand Iago's voice over an extended period of time, and visiting The Tiki Room after the remodel confirmed this for me. I couldn't believe what they had done to this attraction

My vote's definitely for the classic
    Kimberly a.k.a. Your Magical Guide
    Visited WDW:
    03/2018 - POFQ (Bldg. 2)
    05/2017 - POR (Oak Manor - Royal Guest Room)
    09/2011 - POR (Oak Manor)
    03/2009 - CBR (Martinique)
    03/2007 - Offsite
    03/2004 - Offsite
    03/2003 - Offsite
    03/1998 - Offsite
    10/1995 - Offsite
    07/1988 - Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Love the new version. I don't mind when they update classic attractions. Someday they will change it again, maybe even back to the original. I think the "Under New Management" version was a very ingenious approach. I'm just glad they are keeping the classic attraction fresh.
    6/88 Off-site (Yogi Bear)
    6/91 Off-site (Yogi Bear)
    6/94 FW
    7/00 ASM
    7/01 BC & Disney Magic
    7/04 CBR
    Xmas 04 CBR
    Xmas 06 SSR
    6/08 POFQ
    10/08 POFQ
    7/11 POFQ
    10/11 POP & POR
    7/14 POR
    7/15 POR
    11/17 POR
    9/2020 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

The new show isn't terrible, but I prefer the original.
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I like 'em both. The new one is more entertaining to me, but the songs in the old are better..."let's go sing where the birdies sing..."
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

I never got to see the older version. I like the new one but I guess that is because I have nothing to compare it to.
    “I don't want the public to see the world they live in while they're in the Park (Disneyland). I want to feel they're in another world.” Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

We just saw the new version last week and felt it was a bit annoying and was missing some of the magic of the original. Not awful but we'll probably avoid in the future unless we're dying for a break from the heat!
    Caribbean Beach - Jan 2008
    Off property - 2004
    Disneyland's Grand Californian - 2003
    Disney Wonder Cruise June 2002
    Boardwalk Inn, June 2002
    Disneyland Hotel - 1999
    All Star Sports - 1998
    All Star Music - 1996
    All Star Sports - 1995
    Dixie Landings - 1994
    Contemporary - 1980's

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

I went to the new show for the first time this past November. When it started like the traditional, old-fashioned show, I was so happy, and then the "real" show began. I was so bummed. I do not like the new show.
    Maggie
    DVC Member @ OKW & BCV

Mamma to DD's E and C
    CR 80
    POLY 84
    FW 91
    POFQ 04~Last trip w/Gramps
    POP 07~E's 1st Trip
    GF & SOG 08~(Not My)Disney Wedding
    POFQ 08~BIG Family Vacation
    POP 09~Just the Girls
    BCV 10~1 Night @WDW
    OKW GV 11~C's 1st Trip
    BLT/OKW 12~Surprise!

2014 OKW/?

DisneyNut2005 Guest

Both versions of the show are great and very well done, but I tend to lean more towards the new one because the constant obsessing over the original by most Disney purists gets VERY annoying and continues to make me dislike the original more and more.

Also, a lot of you don't seem to comprehend that the original show was not being well-attended at WDW in its final years, so it HAD to be changed...or removed completely, which would've made you all just as furious anyway.

The DL locals are still "in love" with the original, but most of WDW's guests shunned it basically.

Let WDW keep the "New Management" and let DL keep the old show to make each version more unique. The old show is never coming back to WDW, so get used to it.

The majority of WDW's guests (including the "non-fanatics", who, BTW, are NOT stupid and do know what they want and do know the difference between a high-quality product and a low-quality one) love UNM. Most times when I go to it, the audience does laugh, enjoy it and get into the act...and they actually stay in the theater for the entire show, making the constant walk-outs that lead to the demise of the original show in WDW in the first place. If they did hate it as much as some foamers love to falsely claim, the new show most likely would've been gone by now. But the guest attendance counts DO fall in favor of UNM...and numbers don't lie!

I also think that it'd be wise to be more respectful of the Imagineers who created it, including the multi-talented and very funny Kevin Rafferty and WDI veteran Jeff Burke (who's previous attraction credits include Kitchen Kabaret and Phantom Manor, among others). Those two are HUGE Tiki fans and worked REALLY hard to save it from the wrecking ball in the 1990s. Therefore, I VERY highly recommend viewing the Extinct Attractions Club's DVD documentary about the history of WDW's Tiki Room, which is "required viewing", IMO, and may further your appreciation and respect for the "Under New Management".

And maybe if those of you who hate UNM would stop getting so bent out of shape and start realizing that it's really just a harmless parody with absolutely no disrespect intended at all, and develop more of a sense of humor, I think you'd be more likely to end up enjoying it and having a good time.

Rant over.
    Last edited by MNNHFLTX; 01-30-2009 at 02:41 PM. Reason: per Terms of Service

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNut2005 View Post
    Also, a lot of you don't seem to comprehend that the original show was not being well-attended at WDW in its final years ...
    I'm going to ignore the rest of your post, but you really need to look up the word "condescending" in the dictionary.

While you're at it ... try looking up "tolerance" and "opinion" ... you clearly need to learn those two, as well.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNut2005 View Post
    Both versions of the show are great and very well done, but I tend to lean more towards the new one because the constant obsessing over the original by most Disney purists gets VERY annoying and continues to make me dislike the original more and more.

Also, a lot of you don't seem to comprehend that the original show was not being well-attended at WDW in its final years, so it HAD to be changed...or removed completely, which would've made you all just as furious anyway.

The DL locals are still "in love" with the original, but most of WDW's guests shunned it basically.

Let WDW keep the "New Management" and let DL keep the old show to make each version more unique. The old show is never coming back to WDW, so get used to it.

The majority of WDW's guests (including the "non-fanatics", who, BTW, are NOT stupid and do know what they want and do know the difference between a high-quality product and a low-quality one) love UNM. Most times when I go to it, the audience does laugh, enjoy it and get into the act...and they actually stay in the theater for the entire show, making the constant walk-outs that lead to the demise of the original show in WDW in the first place. If they did hate it as much as some foamers love to falsely claim, the new show most likely would've been gone by now. But the guest attendance counts DO fall in favor of UNM...and numbers don't lie!

I also think that it'd be wise to be more respectful of the Imagineers who created it, including the multi-talented and very funny Kevin Rafferty and WDI veteran Jeff Burke (who's previous attraction credits include Kitchen Kabaret and Phantom Manor, among others). Those two are HUGE Tiki fans and worked REALLY hard to save it from the wrecking ball in the 1990s. Therefore, I VERY highly recommend viewing the Extinct Attractions Club's DVD documentary about the history of WDW's Tiki Room, which is "required viewing", IMO, and may further your appreciation and respect for the "Under New Management".

And maybe if those of you who hate UNM would stop getting so bent out of shape and start realizing that it's really just a harmless parody with absolutely no disrespect intended at all, and develop more of a sense of humor, I think you'd be more likely to end up enjoying it and having a good time.

Rant over.
    all i have to say to your post is W-O-W!
    what were in your cornflakes the day you wrote this?

personally i liked the old/original waaay better..the newer one is alright..but like what a few other people said..iagos voice just gets soo annoying after alittle while...it just goes right through you..i wish they could just keep switching it up every few years..id love to have the original back!
    Last edited by MNNHFLTX; 01-30-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: references part of post that was edited
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

Should it really be called "Under New Management" anymore since this version opened almost 11 years ago (April 1998)? lol
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Moderator Warning--

The INTERCOT boards are for respectful discussion about every Disney World, including what people like or dislike about any given attraction. In keeping with that, let's refrain from lecturing or judging the validity of another poster's opinion.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

How did I know THAT was coming...

I like Ian haven't been on in years. I can't say that I was on the old one much either. I do remember sitting through UNM and thinking that's it? It's over already? Wait, I'm actually being kicked out of here! I can't believe they kicked me out! Oh, hey, there's Aloha Island, maybe I'll stop and get a Dole Whip!

Haven't been back since... To the Tiki Room, not Aloha Island, that's a must see!

Post Thanks / Like

Disney Nut, no one including myself the one who started this thread is saying they hate the attraction. We are just stating which one we prefer new or old that's all. I have seen your posts in other areas and you have mentioned the "Disney Purists" previously. I have been on Intercot for years and this site is IMO full of purists like myself. We love Disney for it's originality and forward thinking as well. Most of us would prefer attractions to be updated and enhanced but not altogether changed. I like UNM I just prefer the older version with the singing flowers, the birds of paradise, the fire and water, the enchanted fountain in the center, the music and length of the show. Oh and the thunderstorm supposedly going on outside. I appreciated you tipping your hat to the UNM creators who I did not know the history on. It does give me greater appreciation. I fear however that this site will only disappoint you if you are looking to get your feelings across to us purists. First, on this site we are numerous, second we are passionate about what we like. I love Disney, old school and new, it is my favorite place to go and vacation. On classic rides sure Disney has to appeal to the masses and they have. I don't think they will bring back the original but the purists do have some weight...look at JIYIWF, they brought back Figment, and it was an improvement over version II.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    Should it really be called "Under New Management" anymore since this version opened almost 11 years ago (April 1998)? lol
    Very good point I was thinking that myself.

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

Somehow we always missed the Tiki Room but I loved the original song I have on CD. I saw the "new" version and enjoyed it but I was disappointed that that song was no longer used. I can't really compare the two, but music-wise I think I'd go with the original.
    șoș Tiffany șoș

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the new version is really terrible, but like most of you, it seems, I preferred the original. It's not so much being a Disney purist as feeling that the original show itself was a stronger, better written one. This "new" one fails to impress.

The other thing I have noticed, and perhaps I just have bad luck, but wherever I sit I cannot see the 2 main birds (Iago and Zazu) throughout the whole show. I don't remember this being a problem with the original.

All that said, I wish that Disney could compromise a little and a least let the Tiki birds sing the entire "Tiki Room" song once before being cut off by Iago.
    <3 Robin

Prince Charming: It's offical. I've lost my mind. First I'm hijacked by bluebirds and now I'm talking to ...imaginary mice.

King: I do trust you son.... It's the talking mice I'm worried about...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: