Quantcast DVC Reallocates Points for 2010 - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like

Why argue ulterior motives when the one they gave fits so well?
    Respectfully, why should I trust what they tell me. I was told a studio at SSR would be 11 points Monday - Thursday in the value season. That it would never change. Well, it has after I was told it would not. Yes, I was told that, my wife and I remember this.

I now see it in the contract. So what, I am already upset by what happened. I have also learned that in a pressure situation (or any situation) when faced with signing a contract, the response is simple. "I am not going to sign this without an attorney looking at it." I have learned this since then with this and with other instances in my life.

Look, am I going to use my DVC membership? Sure, just not as much. I will vacation less at Disney now. Also I will likely not add on points in the future as I once thought I would.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donald A View Post
    Respectfully, why should I trust what they tell me. I was told a studio at SSR would be 11 points Monday - Thursday in the value season. That it would never change. Well, it has after I was told it would not. Yes, I was told that, my wife and I remember this.
    Respectfully, DVC was very upfront that while the total number of points to book the entire resort would never change, DVC can reallocate up to 20% per calendar year.

The 2-page Product Understanding Checklist (which everyone signs) clearly states:

The number of Vacation Points required to reserve any specific night in a particular Vacation Home may change based on seasonal demand.

I don't think you need to be a lawyer to understand the Product Understanding Checklist, as it's written in clear English.

Look, am I going to use my DVC membership? Sure, just not as much. I will vacation less at Disney now. Also I will likely not add on points in the future as I once thought I would.
    So, how does that impact the argument that DVC did this for profit?
    DVC Mike

Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder
    Post Thanks / Like

They're probably going to save big on those resort-DVC transfers ... I can almost hear the bellhops yawning from here(or will some be laid off?).
    Hi Neighbor! Have a 'Gansett.

Post Thanks / Like

Respectfully, DVC was very upfront that while the total number of points to book the entire resort would never change, DVC can reallocate up to 20% per calendar year.
    I do not get how you can tell me DVC was very upfront about this when I as well as others in this thread said they were never told this during the pitch. Yes, I see it in the contract. I have learned my lesson to really digest a contract before signing. I should not have signed that day and took awhile to think about what I was really doing. To me, however, being upfront includes mentioning it in a pitch and not, in fact, saying the points on a given night would NOT change.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

The 2-page Product Understanding Checklist (which everyone signs) clearly states:

The number of Vacation Points required to reserve any specific night in a particular Vacation Home may change based on seasonal demand.

I don't think you need to be a lawyer to understand the Product Understanding Checklist, as it's written in clear English.
    Based on seasonal demand to me means holidays and the sort not necessarily weekday to weekend. So if you combine that with being told something like I was in a pitch I can be confused. To me that is not clear English, but what do I know, I only have a doctorate and am a physician.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

I was pleasantly surprised this Sunday. I received a phone call from DVC regarding my note to them regarding the new points chart. He stated that he wanted to clarify my concerns so that he could relate them back to the decision-making folks accurately. In a nutshell he stated that DVC is concerned about the impact their decisions make on its members and that they respond, via phone call, to every email, letter, or phone call, regarding DVC concerns. I am continuall impressed with the extra efforts or, as Walt Disney called it, "plusing." This goes a long way to reinforce my positive feelings about Disney and DVC. My voice may not result in any changes but at least I feel that I was heard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gallicdenis View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised this Sunday. I received a phone call from DVC regarding my note to them regarding the new points chart. He stated that he wanted to clarify my concerns so that he could relate them back to the decision-making folks accurately. In a nutshell he stated that DVC is concerned about the impact their decisions make on its members and that they respond, via phone call, to every email, letter, or phone call, regarding DVC concerns. I am continuall impressed with the extra efforts or, as Walt Disney called it, "plusing." This goes a long way to reinforce my positive feelings about Disney and DVC. My voice may not result in any changes but at least I feel that I was heard.
    Actually, this isn't plussing, it's damage control. It is nice to see them calling people back, but I don't know if I have really ever heard of anything ever happening as a result. More often that not, you get, "I'll be sure to forward this to the depart that handles this." When I say that to people, it means I'm putting this the circular file.

Post Thanks / Like

"Well of course, happiness is a state of mind. You can be happy or you can be unhappy. It's just according to the way you look at things. You know." -- Walt Disney

I'll take my Disney fix anytime, anyway, anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like

Based on seasonal demand to me means holidays and the sort not necessarily weekday to weekend. So if you combine that with being told something like I was in a pitch I can be confused. To me that is not clear English, but what do I know, I only have a doctorate and am a physician.
    "Seasonal demand" refers to Disney's use of seasons for point values - Value Season, Regular Season, Peak Season, etc. Just like the dates of the seasons can be adjusted depending on where holidays fall, the point values within a season, and within a week, can be adjusted as well. All that is required is that the total annual allotment of points does not change for a specific unit at a specific property.

I really can't see how you can possibly be angry at this change, as it's spelled out very clearly in the checklist that you signed when purchasing your contract. I guess the thought is that even though you read it, you really didn't think they'd act on it?
    Mike in KC

DVC Members since 5/01 (VB) & added SSR (8/04).

Been to WDW ~20 times. First DCL cruise in 2/08 (Western)

Recent Trips:
    SSR Treehouse Villas & DCL Wonder 3/10
    BLT/Florida Keys/AKLV 7/11

Upcoming trips:
    VB & VWL 7/12
    OKW 12/12 - 1/13
    VB/DCL Fantasy Eastern/AKLV 6/13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinksDH View Post
    I really can't see how you can possibly be angry at this change, as it's spelled out very clearly in the checklist that you signed when purchasing your contract. I guess the thought is that even though you read it, you really didn't think they'd act on it?
    Actually, it's 1/2 Disney's fault for their guides not explaining it correctly. It's 1/2 member's fault for not being informed buyers (but they you go back to the other 1/2 as well.

In general though, many consumers really don't understand what's going on around them. Signs like up to 75% off! are created like that on purpose. In order for that sign to be accurate, only one item in the store needs to be at 75% off, the rest of the store could be full price. But you'll see a ton of people arguing with the workers that not everything is 75% off, false advertising, etc.

Words are chosen wisely in any and all advertising material, and even in the contracts. It may be easy to interpret it several ways, but, there really is only one legally.

Buyer beware...

BTW - I'm happy about these changes. They don't impact me really, I spend more than a week usually and many times over two weekends. I can see where those who bought small contracts with big plans would be irritated.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm shortsighted, selfish & myopic. With that said I think all of us want to get the most bang for the buck. In our situation the updated points charts would have been helpful about 5 years ago when all our kids were still at home (we have six). The charts appear to benefit those that use the larger accomodations. Now that we are on the verge of being empty nester's the new chart is having the opposite impact. With the economy in its current state, and the incentives such as "FREE Disney Dining Plan when you purchase one of these 5-night/6-day Magic Your Way hotel and theme park ticket packages" or the "Buy 4 nights and get three for free," makes one take pause. We can get a very nice vacation with the free Disney Dining Plan for the cost of our maintenance fees alone. That is enough to dissuade me from considering an additional ownership interest at this time. How will that effect others considering DVC?

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't care for the change because the cheaper weekday rates worked well for us.

I must have had a great guide when we bought becuase I remember him covering the point re-allocation very well. I was actually suprised that it did not change the first few years I was a member.

With regard to the incentives offered to the public. It sort of feels like we are getting the short end of the stick by not extending these great deals to those of us who are "longtime Disney supporters" and owners. When I think hard about it this is where I'm at:

- These discounts are not permanent. They are designed to get people in and prop up sagging resevations during this time.

- I need Disney to fill the resort so that they can continue to operate at the level I have come to expect.

-This may be a great time to bank some points and take a cash trip.
    Faith, Family, Fidelity, Fun

'88 - Honeymoon
    '02 - ASmovie
    '03 - VWL
    '04 - HHI
    '05 - DCL, BCV
    '06 - HHI
    '07 - POR, VWL, POP/BWV
    '09 - BWV, BCV/SSR
    '10 - BWV
    '12 - AKV/BCV, VWL
    '13 - AKV