Quantcast DVC Reallocates Points for 2010 - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I happen to think they just need to reallocate the points to balance usage based upon demand. It's obvious that many members have purchased points only for Sun-Thu stays, and the demand for Sun-Thu stays greatly exceeds the demand for Fri-Sat stays. So, it is reasonable for DVC to reallocate points based upon demand/usage by members.

Of course, if I were someone who did an add-on specifically for booking a particular resort at the 11-mo window for a weekday stay, I wouldn't be very happy.

I did happen to re-check my four planned 2010 trips, and each and every one of them will now require less points than under the old points chart, so I'm a happy camper!
    DVC Mike

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I appear to be in the minority here, but I am actually upset by it. When I bought into the club in November of 2006 I was expecting to be able to go 5 nights Sunday through Thursday in the season with the lowest points. This got me the most I could for the points (more "bang for my buck so to speak"). The adjustments now have made it more points to do what I have done and plan to do in the future. It still doesn't lower the weekend points enough for me to use points to stay on the weekend. I have reviewed my contract and see how it is not a breach of contract what they have done, but it was not how it was presented to me when my wife and I joined. I have let the club know of my displeasure related to this.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I was just thinking about that... A lot of people it seems get EXACTLY what they need an not plan around thing like this...

I've always said that poeple need to look at the point and PLAN on not getting the accomodations they want or even the weeks they need. THis would be a good example of why. If you bought and got EXACTLY enough to stay on a particular week for only a limited number of days, yes, you are... well.. Up a creek.

I'm thinking the responses will be acompanied by a suggestion to call your guide and purchase more points.

Let us know what they say...

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't join with a plan to buy points based on what I thought I needed point-wise but instead bought what I could afford (the minimum 150 points at the time). I was careful to ask my guide about how the points could change and specifically asked, "So you are telling me that 11 points for a Sunday through Thursday studio at Saratoga Springs for the value time will never change?" I was told "no" and that was the beauty of the club. This is a mis-representation (to put it in nice terms) from my guide.

I wouldn't be surprised if I were to be told that I should buy more points. After-all, I am beginning to wonder if this change was a move to try to get more money after watching how people vacation. I was told it was based on member feedback, but I have little doubt it was based on DVC accountants trying to figure out how to get more money.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donald A View Post
    I was careful to ask my guide about how the points could change and specifically asked, "So you are telling me that 11 points for a Sunday through Thursday studio at Saratoga Springs for the value time will never change?" I was told "no" and that was the beauty of the club.
    You are correct, if that is what you were told, yes you were lied (and that's putting it nicely as well) to.

When we joined, we were told that points could change. It was explained that the cost in points for a year for a given room could not change. Weekly and/or daily, the points COULD change up or down, but the total for the year could not. This was to allow for seasonal type stuff (like holidays that don't happen at the same time each year), and/or shifts in attendence, like if all of the sudden the week of May 5th becomes a huge week. But, when something goes up, something else must come down.

That appears to be what happened here ("seasonal" shifts in vacation time), but I don't buy their response. I think people are gaming the system. They figured out that Sun-Thu are cheaper, so that's when they vacation (it's called VALUE). Not that it was a big secret, and not that I blame people for doing it. I do it as well, I usually pack a long vacation around one weekend. I think Disney is seeing more and more weekend days open and to avoid that, they are playing within the rules to close those gaps. It wasn't done for our convenience though...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    That appears to be what happened here ("seasonal" shifts in vacation time), but I don't buy their response. I think people are gaming the system. They figured out that Sun-Thu are cheaper, so that's when they vacation (it's called VALUE). Not that it was a big secret, and not that I blame people for doing it. I do it as well, I usually pack a long vacation around one weekend. I think Disney is seeing more and more weekend days open and to avoid that, they are playing within the rules to close those gaps. It wasn't done for our convenience though...
    I like how you put it there and think that is likely what happened.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Donald A View Post
    I was careful to ask my guide about how the points could change and specifically asked, "So you are telling me that 11 points for a Sunday through Thursday studio at Saratoga Springs for the value time will never change?" I was told "no" and that was the beauty of the club. This is a mis-representation (to put it in nice terms) from my guide.
    See, the more I think about it the more I think this is what I was told, too.

Until I read this thread, I never actually remember hearing the whole "points have to stay level over the year" thing. I'm 99.9% sure that we were told " ... we can change the exact dates that make up a season, but a week in a 1BR during value season always has to cost the same amount of points ... "

The more I think about this, the more it makes me a little nervous. This change isn't a big deal, but the fact that they can sort of randomly reallocate points across any time period they want is a tad scary.

And before anyone says it, yes I know I should have understood this before I bought in.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to remember what they did the first time they reallocated points back in the 90s. I don't remember it being such a big change but it may just have been it didn't really effect me. I always knew they could make changes within the year.

I think the most worrying thing for me is how many times we hear that guides are no longer telling the whole truth to potential members. Things were much better explained when I joined but it has turned into a big business since then and maybe they are not as fussy in the quality of their guides or their product.
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

this is fine with us - because of the kids we like to go over long weekends - less points means more times we can go
    GMGDISNEYMOM
    6/14 BCV
    7/13 DL-Paradise Pier
    4/12 AKL
    12/11 SSR
    11/10 VWL
    11/09 AKL
    4/09 FWC
    10/08 - VWL
    6/08 BV (1st DVC trip!)
    1/08 - AKL
    4/07 - FWC
    12/96 - OKW
    5/88- C
    11/84 - LBVV
    11/77 - C

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dlpmikki View Post
    I think the most worrying thing for me is how many times we hear that guides are no longer telling the whole truth to potential members. Things were much better explained when I joined but it has turned into a big business since then and maybe they are not as fussy in the quality of their guides or their product.
    I think it's more indicative of the overall lack of quality CM's (and quality training) than anything else.

I'd be willing to bet a lot of the guides don't really understand the program that well.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I remember them saying that points could change....but that was so long ago and I was pregnant at the time (I seem to have forgotten a lot of stuff during the incubation period ) so I don't truly remember.

I've done the Sunday through Friday trip to save on points. We don't arrive until Sunday now because of this and usually leave on Saturdays to avoid another expensive point night in the hotel. With only 150 pts I have to get more creative.

~Amanda
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

I guess as long as they aren't changing the overall points it's a wash for us. Since we usually travel by plane, we have been avoiding some weekend nights due to the high cost of points. This will make it more feasible for us to come in on Friday or Saturday and get to spend the weekend, vs. coming in on Sunday to avoid taking too many points. Obviously they are not going to be able to please 100% of the people anytime there are changes made. Bottom line for us is that we still love our DVC and our friends are really jealous when they find out we have it. Mark
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Default Buyer Beware

I feel for some of you I really do, just when you think you've got things all worked out and to have it changed suddenly. This is just another example of buyer beware. I feel very grateful to intercot as I wait around for my someday when I can buy into DVC. I feel I will be well informed. I would just like to offer this advice to anyone feeling the need to run and add points, do a little more research first make sure you get the best deal you can get, maybe you don't need more points just be creative on where and when to stay. Okay I'll get off my soapbox now, good luck to all of you.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I'd be willing to bet a lot of the guides don't really understand the program that well.
    I tend to think this too. Maybe that's my willingness to believe it's less them misleading potential buyers than really misunderstanding how the system works.

However, has anyone else noticed that for the Grand Villas they've actually INCREASED the points needed on Fri/Sat and DECREASED Sun-Thur? By a LOT.

For example in 2010 a Fri/Sat night stay at a Boardwalk Grand Villa during the summer months is a whopping 20 points more per night than 2009. Weeknights for the same room, same season Sun-Thur are 8 points LESS per night. So the weekly total works out to be the same as before, but now it costs you 100 points on a Thursday and 150 the very next night!!

And the other thing I don't understand is why the changes already for Bay Lake Tower? Didn't they know this was coming before they put out the original points chart?
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    And the other thing I don't understand is why the changes already for Bay Lake Tower? Didn't they know this was coming before they put out the original points chart?
    Because the Internet "dweebs" would have picked up on it and started speculating immediately. The timing of this is important in some way, and you always release all the information in one chunk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Because the Internet "dweebs" would have picked up on it and started speculating immediately. The timing of this is important in some way, and you always release all the information in one chunk.
    Well that makes sense, but a 2-bedroom in high summer at BLT even after the change is still 30 points more on a Friday than a Thursday. I think you'd have to be a mind reader to sniff that one out.

By the way, I looked at my numbers again and the Grand Villas at BLT and OKW did NOT go the same way as the Grand Villas at BWV and SSR.

Fri/Sat GV at BLT and OKW did go down as Sun-Thurs went up. But it was the opposite at the BWV and SSR. Now I'm really confused.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with everything Donald A posted. We travel Sunday - Thursday for several reasons.
    1. The points are less.
    2. The crowds are less. I love the people of Florida, but I don't want to stare at the back of their heads while in long lines all day. You see they do just what I would do if I lived there and that is go to disney and bring the kids as much as I could and for most of us thats the weekends.
    3. Airfare is usually less when traveling on Sundays then on Fridays or Saturdays.
    4. I still don't think that they made staying on a Fridays or Saturdays attractive enough point wise to sway the owner that wants to get the most stay for the least amount of points.
    5. To make any accusation that owners that stay Sunday-Thursday are trying to beet the system is ridiculous. The point charts were shown to us and we bought into DVC being told that the 11 point studio in 2005 will be an 11 point studio in 2052. Yes I know now I should have had my attorney look it over.
    6. If DVC is really trying to get members to stay on Fridays and Saturdays then why not just take what it cost to stay a week and divide it by seven so all nights cost the same. I know I was told that Fridays and Saturdays cost more because the demand is higher. Guess the demand isn't quite what it used to be. Well our President said he'd bring change, but who knew he meant to DVC.
    7. It would be nice if DVC would look at our Nation's economic situation and realize that people are trying to stretch there dollars or in this case points as far as they can. They may also realize that the demand for Fridays and Saturdays as dropped because people can't travel for three or four weekend trips like they could during better times. I doubt that with the little drop in points I'll change my vacation habits, except that I might just travel Monday - Wednesday.
    Last edited by dephenn; 02-17-2009 at 10:01 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    However, has anyone else noticed that for the Grand Villas they've actually INCREASED the points needed on Fri/Sat and DECREASED Sun-Thur? By a LOT.

For example in 2010 a Fri/Sat night stay at a Boardwalk Grand Villa during the summer months is a whopping 20 points more per night than 2009. Weeknights for the same room, same season Sun-Thur are 8 points LESS per night. So the weekly total works out to be the same as before, but now it costs you 100 points on a Thursday and 150 the very next night!!
    The Grand Villa thing supports my position that this is not based on member feedback but on DVC making as money as possible. Think about it. They move points around based on what makes you buy more points. People that can afford the points for a Grand Villa (I know I can't) likely have more money to spend. These people probably can spend the money to buy a plane ticket and go on a whim (probably a weekend). The DVC "powers that be" know this and know that if they raise the weekend points maybe these people will buy more points to continue to vacation how they like. I am not trying to be disrespectful or stereotypical, just make an observation.

This is just like adding more points to the way I like to stay during the week. They figure that if I want to vacation the same way I need more points.

The very fact that Grand Villas went up on the weekend while everything else went down makes me fairly sure that it wasn't member feedback that prompted this change but DVC financial experts.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

We have been staying at POP upon arrival and checking into the DVC resort starting on Sunday, allowing us to go on two trips per year with our 160 points.

I am not happy with the changes, but I will just adjust my vacations and I will protest financially. I was planning on adding on some points this summer, but now I think i would rather pay for a hotel on some of my stays. Some of the Downtown Disney hotels look beautiful.

I feel like Disney is always playing games with the guests. Trying to get more money for less value and taking away many small perks from the seasoned visitor. I know it's technically the same value, but I can no longer take advantage of the point system to the same degree.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wjrhw View Post
    We have been staying at POP upon arrival and checking into the DVC resort starting on Sunday, allowing us to go on two trips per year with our 160 points.

I am not happy with the changes, but I will just adjust my vacations and I will protest financially. I was planning on adding on some points this summer, but now I think i would rather pay for a hotel on some of my stays. Some of the Downtown Disney hotels look beautiful.

I feel like Disney is always playing games with the guests. Trying to get more money for less value and taking away many small perks from the seasoned visitor. I know it's technically the same value, but I can no longer take advantage of the point system to the same degree.
    I agree completely. I was thinking about adding on more points as well, but now I will not. We will just vacation at WDW less often and if we do go as often, stay at those nice hotels in Downtown Disney or even spend a few days in Orlando like Sea World or Universal. These are days that, in the past, we would have spent at Disney.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: