Quantcast DVC Reallocates Points for 2010

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation DVC Reallocates Points for 2010

I got this from another website (I won't post the link, but want to give credit). I confirmed the info at DVCMember.com.

Any feelings folks???
    I'm not sure... yet...
    I used to like the weekday reduced rates.
    ---------------------------
    Written by Tim Krasniewski
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 06:50PM
    For just the second time in its 18 year history, Disney Vacation Club has taken steps to reallocate the points charts for existing DVC resorts. The result--more expensive trips for those who favor Sunday - Thursday stays.

According to a notice posted to [snip], the weekend point values have been decreased with corresponding increases in the Sunday to Thursday nightly point values. DVC's statement suggests that the weekly values have remained largely intact, but members who are accustomed to economical weekday stays may find their vacations costing more points beginning in 2010.

A review of the new points charts revealed the following:

Beach Club Villas / One Bedroom / Choice Season
    2009: 24 points per weekday, 47 poins per weekend
    2010: 27 points per weekday, 38 points per weekend

A Sunday to Thursday stay in the above accommodation will cost 15 more points in 2010 than it did in 2009--an increase of 12.5%.

Legally it is within Disney Vacation Club's rights to make these changes. As long as the annual point totals for a single resort unit (room or group of rooms) does not change, the weekly values and seasons are subject to change.

DVC previously reallocated the points charts in the mid-90s. The prior adjustment had the opposite effect with weekday stays declining in cost and weekends increasing.

The 2010 points charts can now be found on DVCMember.com and will be posted to DVCNews.com shortly.

Official statement follows.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disney Vacation Club adjusts 2010 Vacation Points charts
    To help address a growing Member interest in weekend stays at Disney Vacation Club Resorts, Disney Vacation Club has adjusted 2010 Vacation Points charts, reducing Vacation Point requirements for Friday and Saturday nights.

In addition to better reflecting the changes in Members' vacationing patterns, the adjusted charts make accommodations more affordable during many popular Walt Disney World® events, such as Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and ESPN The Weekend.

To make this change possible, Vacation Point requirements for some instances of Sunday-Thursday stays are now higher. However, a full week's stay will essentially cost the same amount of Vacation Points as before.

To view the adjusted Vacation Points charts, click on the "View Vacation Points Charts" link in the "Plan My Vacation" section of this Web site (located on the right side of the page).
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting...
    and I think I like it.

It may eliminate the need for us to move for Fri & Sat stays.
    While I do enjoy hitting a Value or Mod once in awhile, I am sure that many people "bail out" on Fridays and Saturdays like we do, leaving a much lower occupancy.

I might be more inclined to stay put (which is what they want- I'm sure ).
    Linda
    aka: wendy*darling

INTERCOT Staff:
    Disney & Orlando Dining/Nightlife, Shopping & Water Parks/Disney Vacation Club

DVC owners at WLV, BCV and SSR
    Next up: VWL & POFQ Dec 2009 - just adults!
    On Deck: DCL Wonder Dec 2010... but I'm sure we can come up with something before then!

Post Thanks / Like

First thought, I'm not too upset about it. I've always liked quick weekend getways, and this might help those. As long as the weekly point costs don't change, I really don't care, it's a wash for my big trips. If anything it will lower my costs, since I can sta y for two weekends instead of having to bail to a new resort, or use up precious points.

lockedoutlogic Guest

it's a good move....

the sun-thurs thing is a loophole that has been slammed shut by overcrowding at certain locations.....redistribution of points is a logical way to stem some of that overcrowding...

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I like it. We typically have avoided weekend stays because of the astronomical point costs. Now we won't have to move resorts for Friday/Saturday night stays.

Interesting, though ... someone check my math here using the BCV example provided ...

Previously, a 7 night stay from Saturday to Saturday would have cost 120 points for the five weeknights (24 x 5) and 94 points for the two weekend nights (47 x 2). That's a total of 214 points.

In 2010, it would be 135 points for the five weeknights (27 x 5) and 76 points for the two weekend nights (38 x 2). A total of 211 points. 3 points less than previous.

How does that work? Does that mean it became more expensive in other seasons to stay? Or for other room categories?

I'm not as familiar with the rules for reallocating points as I should be.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I usually go from a Tuesday to the next week's Friday....so basically, only 1 weekend. I'm assuming this will now be more points for me.
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

We have tended to be Sunday-Thursday people and I'll be glad to have the change.
    Upcoming Trips:

March '11 Beach Club Villas
    July '11 Disney Institute Seminar-Beach Club
    Aug '11 Wonder to Alaska
    Nov '11 BLT

DVC Member Since 11/06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

Interesting, though ... someone check my math here using the BCV example provided ...

Previously, a 7 night stay from Saturday to Saturday would have cost 120 points for the five weeknights (24 x 5) and 94 points for the two weekend nights (47 x 2). That's a total of 214 points.

In 2010, it would be 135 points for the five weeknights (27 x 5) and 76 points for the two weekend nights (38 x 2). A total of 211 points. 3 points less than previous.
    Same for VWL. The charts are gone from DVCMember but I did find them on another site. 2Bdrm Choice is now 282, listed as 279 for 2010.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is a good move.

We often come in on a Friday or Saturday and we stay through the next weekend. We use our points for our entire stay. It is our preference not to have to move during a vacation.

Now, I won't feel so guilty about not moving and using DVC points for the weekends!

While I am not a re-allociation expert, I would think that as long as the points for the week do not go up, they are within the rights to modify the nightly points.
    Karen

DVC Owners at SSR & BLT
    1994-Offsite Honeymoon
    2003-May ASM-1st Time for Kids
    2005-Feb AKL
    2006-May SSR
    2006-Aug OKW
    2007-May VWL
    2007-Aug SSR
    2008- May BWV
    2009- Aug Cruise (Wonder) & WDW
    2009 -Dec Last minute Christmas trip
    2010-May BLT

2011- Aug- DISNEY DREAM!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

What happens to mid-week vacations that are already reserved? Will they adjust the points you need based on the new tables or will you only be charged the points you used at the time you made the reservation? I'm going to have to give them a call.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the first 2010 res can be made until Feb 1 (11 months out). I could be wrong.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine1010 View Post
    I usually go from a Tuesday to the next week's Friday....so basically, only 1 weekend. I'm assuming this will now be more points for me.
    If you look at my example above, that may not be the case.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineC68 View Post
    What happens to mid-week vacations that are already reserved? Will they adjust the points you need based on the new tables or will you only be charged the points you used at the time you made the reservation? I'm going to have to give them a call.
    We are not 11 months out from Jan 1 yet- so no one will be affected.
    Linda
    aka: wendy*darling

INTERCOT Staff:
    Disney & Orlando Dining/Nightlife, Shopping & Water Parks/Disney Vacation Club

DVC owners at WLV, BCV and SSR
    Next up: VWL & POFQ Dec 2009 - just adults!
    On Deck: DCL Wonder Dec 2010... but I'm sure we can come up with something before then!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a dope - I didn't pay attention to the effective dates. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting - on the DVC site now is this message:

On January 21 a version of the 2010 Vacation Point Charts was incorrectly posted. An updated version will be made available within the next week. Members with valid email addresses on record will receive an email when the new charts are available. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I wonder if they got their sums wrong for the total of number of points per year?
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

I wondered that too...if the sums were incorrect in the first posting of the points as some weeks went down while others went up. I thought the points for weeks had to stay the same?!
    BCV June 2009
    Swan Mar 2009
    OKW Sept 2008
    BCV July 2007
    BCV Dec 2006
    AKL Jan 2006
    ASM Oct 2005
    BCV Oct 2005
    BCV May 2005
    BCV Dec 2004 (our first trip)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raye3201 View Post
    I thought the points for weeks had to stay the same?!
    Not necessarily...
    It's complicated - but Disney can make weeks more expensive (point-wise) as long as during another part of the year, point use goes down. They can change seasons, reallocate points, and shift things around to their liking... But the overall point useage for the year has to come out even.
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh...I get it now! Thanks for explaining!
    BCV June 2009
    Swan Mar 2009
    OKW Sept 2008
    BCV July 2007
    BCV Dec 2006
    AKL Jan 2006
    ASM Oct 2005
    BCV Oct 2005
    BCV May 2005
    BCV Dec 2004 (our first trip)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent's Dad View Post
    Not necessarily...
    It's complicated - but Disney can make weeks more expensive (point-wise) as long as during another part of the year, point use goes down. They can change seasons, reallocate points, and shift things around to their liking... But the overall point useage for the year has to come out even.
    Yes, it's a weird thing that they have to have the same number of points per year, because theoretically that means they can charge 1000 points for a studio during Christmas week as long as they lower points during some other part of the year.

Not that they ever will, but it's something to know.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent's Dad View Post
    Not necessarily...
    Ahh, that's how it works... Thanks... I was thinking how could they raise points per night when they state they won't ever raise them, that they stay the same... It is actually thr TOTAL amount of points per week/year.. Gotcha.. Makes sense to me now..
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: