Quantcast WDW Deluxe Resort Satisfaction Survey! - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Were you satisfied with your last stay at a WDW Deluxe Resort?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I was satisfied with my stay.

126 80.77%
  • No, I was dissatisfied with my stay.

13 8.33%
  • I have not stayed at a WDW Deluxe Resort.

17 10.90%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    I think extreme may be a little, well, extreme. It is human nature to complain about something bad, more than rave about something good.
    True ... I definitely agree with that. It's pretty accepted that people tell 10 times more friends about a bad experience than they do a good one.

But bear in mind, I'm not going only on what's described on INTERCOT. I visit WDW 3 to 4 times a year myself and I know what I see. I personally observe, time and time again, dramatic inconsistency in their service levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    Our last stay at check in they insisted we had booked 'standard' not 'preferred'. Insisted, realy insisted. We forgive you but you're wrong insisted. Only when I dug out my Disney printed confirmation and they read p-r-e-f-e-r-r-e-d did they tell me none were avilable and I would need to switch resports and there would be a wait (it was 4pm) or I could go to my building 6 room and start my vacation. I asked them if they were going to reroute our DME luggage and they cheked again and (magically) found a preferred location room.
    That mirrors almost exactly an experience we had at OKW.

Upon check-in, they just insisted that we had only requested the base DDP and not the Deluxe DDP. We were adamant that we had requested the deluxe plan, but the check-in CM just kept on pushing back.

Now look ... this was a patently ridiculous situation to begin with. If I check in and say I want to pay more for my dining plan, they should just go, "Absolutely Mr. Mitchell. That's not a problem."

Instead it was a huge deal. I asked the CM, "Why do you even care? Just give us the deluxe plan now." and she actually said to us, "Well, it's a LOT OF WORK (the emphasis was hers) to do that."

Like I care???

At the end of the day, I had to trudge out to my Tahoe, dig through my luggage, find our confirmation letter, trudge back inside, show them where on the confirmation it said "Deluxe Dining", and then wait while the CM went in the back to get a manager, drag him out, huddle over the monitor, and whisper in hushed tones about what to do.

I mean it was just absolutely absurd. I wanted to give them MORE MONEY! After waiting close to 30 minutes, the manager basically tells us that if he adds the deluxe dining to our reservation he has to cancel our existing reservation and re-book us which means we could lose our room category since they had people on waitlists for our room category, etc.

At this point, I just told him I didn't care what he said, he was giving me what I had asked for when I made my reservations and he had to figure out how he was going to do it. After spending about 5 minutes stressing with me how fortunate I was that they were making this grand accomodation for me, they finally fixed our reservation.

And all this because their reservations CM messed up!!!

I'm sorry ... that is NOT world class anything.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    True ... I definitely agree with that. It's pretty accepted that people tell 10 times more friends about a bad experience than they do a good one.

But bear in mind, I'm not going only on what's described on INTERCOT. I visit WDW 3 to 4 times a year myself and I know what I see. I personally observe, time and time again, dramatic inconsistency in their service levels.

That mirrors almost exactly an experience we had at OKW.

Upon check-in, they just insisted that we had only requested the base DDP and not the Deluxe DDP. We were adamant that we had requested the deluxe plan, but the check-in CM just kept on pushing back.

Now look ... this was a patently ridiculous situation to begin with. If I check in and say I want to pay more for my dining plan, they should just go, "Absolutely Mr. Mitchell. That's not a problem."

Instead it was a huge deal. I asked the CM, "Why do you even care? Just give us the deluxe plan now." and she actually said to us, "Well, it's a LOT OF WORK (the emphasis was hers) to do that."

Like I care???

At the end of the day, I had to trudge out to my Tahoe, dig through my luggage, find our confirmation letter, trudge back inside, show them where on the confirmation it said "Deluxe Dining", and then wait while the CM went in the back to get a manager, drag him out, huddle over the monitor, and whisper in hushed tones about what to do.

I mean it was just absolutely absurd. I wanted to give them MORE MONEY! After waiting close to 30 minutes, the manager basically tells us that if he adds the deluxe dining to our reservation he has to cancel our existing reservation and re-book us which means we could lose our room category since they had people on waitlists for our room category, etc.

At this point, I just told him I didn't care what he said, he was giving me what I had asked for when I made my reservations and he had to figure out how he was going to do it. After spending about 5 minutes stressing with me how fortunate I was that they were making this grand accomodation for me, they finally fixed our reservation.

And all this because their reservations CM messed up!!!

I'm sorry ... that is NOT world class anything.
    I comletely agree with you about the problem at the desk. There is no excuse. Not only is it poor customer service, it's patently stupid!, if you weren't fixing the mistake made, no matter who's fault it was, you'd still be working, just on something else. Were you keeping them there late? The biggest problem is summed up in one word. Training.

That said, you did compare apples and oranges. OKW is not a deluxe hotel, so whether or not that was world class is irrelevant.

I don't claim that WDW is necessarily World Class. This is where I say that you are biased. Not anti-Disney, just scewing the poll in a different direction. Of course, that's why, in a poll, you want a big response, because you're part of the crowd, and so is someone who's never been to a deluxe outside of WDW.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, why are you addled?

That's what they're trying to find out........
    Wells
    "But...I don't want to go among mad people."

"Oh, you can't help that," said the cat, "we're all mad here"

Post Thanks / Like

Another very important item to consider ... how many of you who said you were satisfied with your deluxe resort experience have stayed at a high end resort outside of WDW? Or is all of your deluxe accomodation at WDW resorts?
    I've stayed at the Waldorf Astoria in NYC on 3 occasions. Once was spectacular (on par with a Grand Flo stay), and the other two were meh.

We recently stayed in the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. Beautiful hotel, but rooms are somewhat basic. Still nice, but nothing like the Flo or Poly. Our view of Times Square was incredible, though. Should be for $500+ per night.

I don't know what you consider it, but we have stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel in Universal once. Rooms were very modern and cool, but too spartan for me. We had a view of the grounds behind us and the boat launch area. Still not as warm and inviting as WDW resorts.

We have also stayed at other big hotels in NYC (Sheraton Manhattan, Sheraton New York, W, etc.) Rooms were very nice, but nothing themed or all that memorable. Views were cool, cause hey, it's Times Square and NYC. Even with AAA discounts we still paid around $350-$500 per night. The Waldorf was around the same, but the one time that we got a newly refurbished 1 bedroom corner suite it was incredibly priced at only $300 per night. That room now goes for around $750+ per night.

So, we have stayed at beautiful luxury hotels before (did a Google search for luxury hotels in NYC, and ours made the cut), for around the same price, so I can say that we were even more satisfied with our WDW stays in the Flo and Poly. We did get more for our money (live entertainment, better dining in the resort, goodies in our room, better toiletries, actual grass and flowers, etc.)
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    We have also stayed at other big hotels in NYC (Sheraton Manhattan, Sheraton New York, W, etc.)...
    The price of Manhatten hotel rooms, like those in WDW reflect location more than thread count.

I guess I don't wrapped up in which are better because I can't see a reason to compare them.

People who are delighted enough with WDW to stay at monorail resorts so many times they refer to having breakfast at Cindy's whenever they stay at the Flo or the Poly have legitimate reasons to prefer staying at Disney World.

Heavens! What kind of WDW fans are DVC members, people who have prepaid their Disney vacations for the next few decades?

I just can't see the disagreement here. Disney offers what the call Deluxe, Moderate and Value and people choose and pay and from all types some people come away delighted and others dissapointed. I suggest there are people in both groups that have legitimate reasons for the response.

PS and I just gotta tell you 'cause I'm excited. I just booked my next deluxe stay: the Park Hyatt Shanghai.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cgriff View Post
    Hi Gueli, in this other thread someone made the claim that "many more people who stay in WDW Deluxe accommodations are dissatisfied with their stay." They came to that conclusion having only asked people whom they knew (a closed reference group). I thought it might be informative, and frankly, more valid, to poll a larger group of geographically diverse people.
    I don’t see how the response to your survey is more or less valid than the people with whom I have spoken with. It’s just a different focus group.

No, see I totally don't think so. I mean look ... it's NOT like I'm being nit-picky here that they don't have fluffy enough towels or their sheets are 1,000 thread count.
    I do not expect those things either, but you have to take into account that there are people who do expect that when they stay at WDW Deluxe accommodations. Their point of reference for Deluxe is going to be the Four Seasons or the Ritz Carlton and they will compare the amenities they receive at those places with what they receive at WDW. For many, WDW deluxe will not measure up.

I’ll go back to my sister (who is an Intercot member and I would ask her to post to this thread, but she is busy planning an event in St. John for one of her clients). When she plans a company’s Presidents’ club or some other sort of incentive event, she is aware that the people who will be attending expect certain amenities included in their accommodations, such as large, plush bath towels, high thread count sheets, automatic turndown service (this is a service I know GF does provide), a selection of high end toiletries, a low staff to guest ratio, etc. This is not as important to us as WDW fans, but for some people it does. I will be interested to see what happens once the Four Seasons opens up in 2010 and people can choose between very nice accommodations at the Poly or Grand Floridian with the monorail location or staying at the Four Seasons on property which will give them the amenities to which they are accustomed but does not have the prime location (we don’t know how transportation will be handled for this resort yet). I would say most on this board would choose Poly or GF, but wonder what regular travelers to who is just this year’s vacation destination would choose.

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    I've stayed at the Waldorf Astoria in NYC on 3 occasions. Once was spectacular (on par with a Grand Flo stay), and the other two were meh.

We recently stayed in the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. Beautiful hotel, but rooms are somewhat basic. Still nice, but nothing like the Flo or Poly. Our view of Times Square was incredible, though. Should be for $500+ per night.

I don't know what you consider it, but we have stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel in Universal once. Rooms were very modern and cool, but too spartan for me. We had a view of the grounds behind us and the boat launch area. Still not as warm and inviting as WDW resorts.

We have also stayed at other big hotels in NYC (Sheraton Manhattan, Sheraton New York, W, etc.) Rooms were very nice, but nothing themed or all that memorable. Views were cool, cause hey, it's Times Square and NYC. Even with AAA discounts we still paid around $350-$500 per night. The Waldorf was around the same, but the one time that we got a newly refurbished 1 bedroom corner suite it was incredibly priced at only $300 per night. That room now goes for around $750+ per night.
    I mentioned before how I think the Waldorf is living off its reputation which it does not always live up to that level. I would consider the Hard Rock Universal deluxe. You did not like the decor (sort of how I'm not crazy about the room decor at the Poly) but were the room amenities equal/better than the Poly or YC/BC? I would expect for the amenities at the Grand Floridian to be better than the Hard Rock (Universal's equivalent is Portofino Bay).
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you on that, you read what I would have done. Part of what I'm basing my comment on is previous similar threads we've both been a part of. Not saying that, but but a lot of companies have failures of customer service. It's not an excuse, it shouldn't happen, period, but it does. Unfortunately, if people don't complain, nothing is fixed. Don't anyone take that personally, I understand why you don't want to complain during your vacation.
    About that, I feel I need to underline the fact that I DID complain (hence the 'downgrade'), and I DID ask the manager for a partial refund.

I did say that I was not satisfied with the solution they gave me.

But after that... No, I did not insist. My education prevented me from going over the top, and I feel I should not have had to, especially at a 'Deluxe' Resort.

I am pretty fluent in English, but this is still a foreign language for me, and when I get too emotional, or frustrated, it becomes more difficult for me to make sentences and stay coherent.

At this point in my conversation with the manager, I felt I could not go further without making a fool of myself, or looking like a pathetic foreigner trying to get a bargain.

So I dropped it. Hence my frustration.
    -------------
    Numerous day trips to DLRP
    2007 DW - POP, AK, POFQ
    2007 DLRP - Halloween at DLRP, Newport Bay Club Hotel
    2008 : Universal And POR WDW
    2009 : Disneyland Anaheim Off Site
    2010 : Florida, Wilderness Lodge and DCL : 04/22 - 05/06

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

The biggest problem is summed up in one word. Training.
    Mmmm ... see, I don't really agree. Bad training is not the root cause of the problem. Bad training is just a symptom.

I have my own theories on why service is so inconsistent and not on par with Disney standards, but they are just theories. They're based on facts I've gathered from reading, research, speaking with cast, yes ... but at the end of the day they are just my own opinions.

With that appropriate disclosure out of the way ...
    1. WDW is just too darn big. The need for bodies is so ridiculous that they honestly have to scrape the bottom of the barrel just to meet basic staffing needs. Couple that with the WDWCP and the inevitable bad apples that come along with it and you've got the makings of a sub-par cast.
    2. There's far too little central control. I honestly think they believe this is a good thing but it isn't, because it leads directly to the kinds of inconsistencies I'm talking about. Each resort, park, shop, etc. operates like it's own little entity with its own management making their own decisions. Since it basically just comes down to how each location does in terms of P&L, some people just don't care enough to worry about things like guest satisifaction. They know as long as they're making money their jobs are secure.
    3. Very, very, very poor leadership. Disney is an incredibly political organization. Because of the depth and breadth of the company, there is a fair amount of opportunity for advancement. Unfortunately, management is incented to focus almost exclusively on the bottom line as their means for getting ahead. In addition, because of the political nature of the organization, managers often spend more time kissing ... err ... networking than they do performing their actual jobs.
    4. Decades of systematic abuse by their guests. I know this sounds ridiculous, but there was a time (not all that long ago) when a segment of society went by the notion that, "If you complain at Disney World you can get anything you ask for!" As is often the case, that small group of greedy individuals ruined it for everyone else. Disney now has a moderately adversarial relationship with their guests. They're looked upon more as sheep to be herded from point-to-point with as minimal fuss and interaction as possible.
    5. The typical short-sightedness that permeates American corporations today. All they care about is the current stock price. Long range planning is non-existent. Really what I'm getting at here is ... they're making plenty of money doing it the way they're doing it and until that changes they have zero incentive to change.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Mmmm ... see, I don't really agree. Bad training is not the root cause of the problem. Bad training is just a symptom.
    Not bad training, lack of training and continuing training. At that is a problem with a lot of short-sighted companies. Disney would probably benefit from bringing in the guys who used to work at Disney and teach the Disney way of doing things.

Unfortunately these things happen everywhere including deluxe resorts outside Disney I and others here have experienced it. The thing to do is not to let them get away with it.
    from fielin
    About that, I feel I need to underline the fact that I DID complain (hence the 'downgrade'), and I DID ask the manager for a partial refund.

But after that... No, I did not insist. My education prevented me from going over the top, and I feel I should not have had to, especially at a 'Deluxe' Resort.

I am pretty fluent in English, but this is still a foreign language for me, and when I get too emotional, or frustrated, it becomes more difficult for me to make sentences and stay coherent.

At this point in my conversation with the manager, I felt I could not go further without making a fool of myself, or looking like a pathetic foreigner trying to get a bargain.

So I dropped it. Hence my frustration.
    That's exactly why I put in the disclaimer. I wasn't refering to you or anyone else in particular. I understand that people don't want to ruin part of their vacation with an arguement. I don't either. It depends how egregious it is to me whether I'll complain and argue.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I would consider the Hard Rock Universal deluxe. You did not like the decor (sort of how I'm not crazy about the room decor at the Poly) but were the room amenities equal/better than the Poly or YC/BC? I would expect for the amenities at the Grand Floridian to be better than the Hard Rock (Universal's equivalent is Portofino Bay).
    I have to think back here. It was back in 2001, but I do remember my DH saying that he missed the Flo so much while we were staying at the Hard Rock (we stayed in Universal for a few days after our stay at the Flo for a few days, then the DCL). We took photos of everything, so I looked back at them to get a good look at the room/bathroom.

Well, there was a basic TV (like at the Flo back in '01), and a CD player. We didn't use the CD player. They gave us a CD with some music on it when we checked in, but it wasn't that good. Other than than, we don't travel with music CD's, so no need for the player.

Toiletries were sparse. Basic shampoo and conditioner, and soap. At the Poly we had their spa brand of shampoo, conditioner, lotion, two types of bar soap, and liquid body wash.

Size - Poly had more space. The Hard Rock had a huge bathroom, but a lot of it was wasted space.

Bedding - about the same at both, but the Poly had a softer blanket. I remember the Hard Rock bedding feeling a little rougher.

The Hard Rock was (and probably still is) really, really big on being green. They didn't change the sheets while we were there (3 days). They also didn't bring us new towels like we requested. They were big on reusing towels.

The shop at the Hard Rock only offered Hard Rock logo items, whereas at the Poly and other WDW deluxe resorts you get a nice change of pace with the resort clothing and other items they offer without logos on them.

We had a boat to take to the parks, but it didn't travel too frequently. We could also walk to the parks. They did have nice landscaping.

Hard Rock does have one the best restaurants we've ever eaten at....The Palm. We love that place, and dine there in NYC, too. But, there are so many places on the monorail that are just as wonderful (Narc's, Cali Grill, V&A).

I would have to say the Hard Rock was somewhat close to the Poly quality-wise, but the staff at the Hard Rock was no where nearly as friendly and professional as at the Poly or Flo. ....that is, when you were able to find someone.

And like you said....it never, ever came close to the Grand Flo. No comparison.

I never stayed at the YC/BC (want to try BC sometime), so I just can't make a comparison there. Perhaps someone else will be able to.
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Yeah, but in the interest of full disclosure here, I don't think anyone has ever proclaimed the Hard Rock as a deluxe resort, have they?

I mean if you look at the nightly rates between the Hard Rock and the Floridian, it isn't even close.

Just a quick, random look on Travelocity shows an average nightly rate at the Hard Rock of $149 per night. The quote price for the Flo is $314 per night. More than double.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, but in the interest of full disclosure here, I don't think anyone has ever proclaimed the Hard Rock as a deluxe resort, have they?

I mean if you look at the nightly rates between the Hard Rock and the Floridian, it isn't even close.

Just a quick, random look on Travelocity shows an average nightly rate at the Hard Rock of $149 per night. The quote price for the Flo is $314 per night. More than double.
    That's why I was asked to compare it to the Poly, which I did. Read my post above. (And yes, I know...the Poly isn't much cheaper than the Flo).

Also, they won't get more than your $149 per night. If they could, they would....obviously.
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Ian, you've jacked my thread here. And we know you have a special deference to Original Posters, so please stop electioneering at the polling place.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t see how the response to your survey is more or less valid than the people with whom I have spoken with.
    The larger the sample size and the more geographically diverse your sample, the more valid the survey.

Post Thanks / Like

I will be interested to see what happens once the Four Seasons opens up in 2010 and people can choose between very nice accommodations at the Poly or Grand Floridian with the monorail location or staying at the Four Seasons on property which will give them the amenities to which they are accustomed but does not have the prime location.
    That will definitely be interesting. It will also be interesting to see if the Four Seasons, with its bona fide true concierge staff, will be able to get their guests tables at Cinderella's Royal Table when it's been booked solid for months in advance...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fielin View Post

You shouldn't have to go over the top to get a partial refund on a downgrade no matter where you are. Deluxe, Moderate, or Value, Hilton or Holiday Inn, any of those doesn't figure into having to be anything more than polite but firm any more than the other. That was VERY poor customer service to not give you a partial refund.
    I am sorry for your experience. That just wasn't right.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thrilled, thrilled, thrilled....

Most recently we stayed in a refurbished club level beach club room!

Beautiful flowers (fresh every couple days), new linens and paint, and just an overall cheerful theme...

Plus the room was always realllly clean and the beds were 'oh sooo comfy
    SSR 07
    BC 07, 08, 09
    Grand Flo 94, 06, 07
    Poly 91 & 2006
    WL 2005, 2006, 08
    Ft. W. Cabins 93 & 2004
    P.O. Riverside 2000
    AKL 98
    AKL- Kidani village 09
    CR. 97
    Yacht Club 95
    Dixie Landings 92
    Fort Wilderness Campground 89

Post Thanks / Like

Very dissatisfied with our stay at Poly, and yes, I am one who has stayed at a real "Deluxe" hotel with a "real" concierge.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cgriff View Post
    Ian, you've jacked my thread here. And we know you have a special deference to Original Posters, so please stop electioneering at the polling place.
    thanks cgriff that made me smile
    (no disrespect intended Ian, i am more reffering to the elctioneering comment)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nascfan View Post
    You shouldn't have to go over the top to get a partial refund on a downgrade no matter where you are. Deluxe, Moderate, or Value, Hilton or Holiday Inn, any of those doesn't figure into having to be anything more than polite but firm any more than the other. That was VERY poor customer service to not give you a partial refund.
    I am sorry for your experience. That just wasn't right.
    you have that right..

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: