Quantcast WDW Deluxe Resort Satisfaction Survey! - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Were you satisfied with your last stay at a WDW Deluxe Resort?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I was satisfied with my stay.

126 80.77%
  • No, I was dissatisfied with my stay.

13 8.33%
  • I have not stayed at a WDW Deluxe Resort.

17 10.90%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I was irritated, but I was more sad than anything, really. It was my 30th birthday, and my first trip to the USA, and to WDW.

I felt I could not appropriately convey my feelings to the manager, as english is not my first language.

I wanted this day to be perfect (you are only 30 once !), and did not want to make it worse than it already was. So I just accepted what they offered, and decided to make the most of my stay.

But I felt it was clearly not adequate for a hotel that advertised itself as Deluxe.
    -------------
    Numerous day trips to DLRP
    2007 DW - POP, AK, POFQ
    2007 DLRP - Halloween at DLRP, Newport Bay Club Hotel
    2008 : Universal And POR WDW
    2009 : Disneyland Anaheim Off Site
    2010 : Florida, Wilderness Lodge and DCL : 04/22 - 05/06

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    Ian, stop grinding your axe. Why is it important?
    First off, I don't own an axe.

As far as why it's important, I guess I think it's important because I understand the impetus for this poll. It stems from a separate discussion in another thread, which deals with the relative value between Disney's level of deluxe accomodations and the deluxe accomodations offered by other Orlando-area resorts.

If you've never experienced the deluxe accomodations of another resort, you can't really offer a meaningful opinion on that topic.

However, I will concede that, if you aren't participating in that other thread, why that's relevant would not be readily apparent.

I agree completely, but... was a preemptive strike against anyone who disagrees with you necessary?
    It's not a pre-emptive strike ... it's a fact. There are people that would give Disney rave reviews if they walked in the door, forked over 2 grand, were forced to sleep in a tent in the parking lot, and got kicked in the head on their way out the door every morning.

Quite honestly, the opinions of those people have little value in terms of this discussion and how it impacts the 99% of the population who don't feel that way.I was just pointing out that the results of this poll will be skewed such that it has absolutely no value in terms of answering the question it was created to address.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fielin View Post
    I felt I could not appropriately convey my feelings to the manager, as english is not my first language.
    That is a problem. I'm sorry you couldn't go up one side of him/her and down the other.

(you are only 30 once !)
    Unless, of course you beleive in reincarnation. (sorry, I had to)

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

The poll only asks about your *last* WDW Deluxe stay. This was an important and intentional decision of mine when I posted the poll, as I wanted to give greater weight (fairly) to the group who claim that WDW Resort quality is on the decline. I didn't want any guests' fantastic trip from the 1970's to matter in the poll, if their stay two months ago was dreadful.

Also, it was important to limit choices to "satisfied", "dissatisfied" and "never stayed Deluxe", so as to come to concrete conclusions about the data. If you were only moderately satisfied with your last stay, then that is "satisfied". If you were mostly dissatisfied but not entirely so, then that is "dissatisfied".

BTW the choice of the terms "satisfied" and "dissatisfied" was not my own, but were suggested by another Intercot member.

And for the record, *my* last stay at a WDW Deluxe Resort was at the WL in 2007, and I voted satisfied.

Post Thanks / Like

I stayed in the Savannah room at AKL. I just LOVED it!! It's still been my favorite place so far! ^_^ I want to stay there again, but ah!, so many places yet to stay at!
    Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

WDW stays
    1998 Old Key West
    2003 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2005 Port Orleans FQ
    2007 Coronado Springs
    2009 Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cgriff View Post
    Also, it was important to limit choices to "satisfied", "dissatisfied" and "never stayed Deluxe", so as to come to concrete conclusions about the data.
    So what are your conclusions (so far) ?

I have been watching the other post, saw your survey & figured to chime in.

I hate to hear about problems like the one fielin had on their b'day. It is unfortunate that problems & solutions to those who are traveling from abroad are not delt with properly.
    I am also surprised that the people who are not satisfied or have issues do not take them up with hotel managment right away. Broken appliances, long overdue filter changes, etc are things that can generally be repaired in short order (although not in time for the bath that is happening at the time). It brings to the point that if we, the paying guests, do not let them know something is wrong - how can they know that it needs fixing ?

Quote Originally Posted by cgriff View Post
    This was an important and intentional decision of mine when I posted the poll, as I wanted to give greater weight (fairly) to the group who claim that WDW Resort quality is on the decline.
    also, cgriff - if the point of the survey was to find out if wdw resort quality is on the decline- than why not have that be the poll ?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by gueli View Post
    I am also surprised that the people who are not satisfied or have issues do not take them up with hotel managment right away. Broken appliances, long overdue filter changes, etc are things that can generally be repaired in short order (although not in time for the bath that is happening at the time). It brings to the point that if we, the paying guests, do not let them know something is wrong - how can they know that it needs fixing ?
    I want to say first that I agree with you totally. You can't necessarily hold a company responsible for a bad customer service response if the customer doesn't escalate properly.

But in that particular situation you're referencing, the poster did say that he is not very comfortable speaking English and felt that that would be a barrier to productive communication with the manager.

And, to play advocate a little bit, wouldn't you agree that that particular situation never should have come up in the first place and, also, that Disney's first response should have been adequate to the point that speaking with a manager wasn't necessary.

I mean the premise most people on these boards put forth is that Disney provides world-class, premiere customer service ... second to none. If that is, in fact, the case (and I don't believe it is), then doesn't it follow that speaking with a manager shouldn't be necessary?

World-class organizations should have empowered front-line staff to resolve all legitimate guest complaints immediately without requiring the intervention of a manager. In fact, going one step farther, a world-class organization would never have charged a guy for an upgraded view room that ended up overlooking a construction site in the first place.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed at both the Contemporary and Polynesian and have been satisfied with the accommodations at both. That is, they were neither spectacular nor disappointing.
    Keep in mind that “Deluxe” is a relative term, that is, there is no official standard within the hospitality industry that defines in any absolute terms what constitutes “Deluxe” accommodations. “Deluxe” accommodations at Disney certainly offer better view, transportation and convenience options than a “Value” or “Moderate” resort, but certainly do not compare to a stay at the Four Seasons. Disney knows its’ market and provides services accordingly. Besides, the resorts are not the main attraction on a Disney trip, are they?
    Wells
    "But...I don't want to go among mad people."

"Oh, you can't help that," said the cat, "we're all mad here"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    First off, I don't own an axe.
    When it comes to this subject...

If you've never experienced the deluxe accomodations of another resort, you can't really offer a meaningful opinion on that topic.
    First, I have experienced other deluxe resorts and still am satisfied with WDW deluxe resorts. Second, you're wrong, an opinion of someone who had a wonderful time (or not so...) at a WDW deluxe resort that doesn't normally stay at deluxes is more meaningful to someone who is thinking about staying at a deluxe WDW resort, who hasn't stayed at other deluxe resorts and doesn't intend to, that yours that is skewed by having stayed at other deluxe resorts.
    It's not a pre-emptive strike ... it's a fact. There are people that would give Disney rave reviews if they walked in the door, forked over 2 grand, were forced to sleep in a tent in the parking lot, and got kicked in the head on their way out the door every morning.

Quite honestly, the opinions of those people have little value in terms of this discussion and how it impacts the 99% of the population who don't feel that way.I was just pointing out that the results of this poll will be skewed such that it has absolutely no value in terms of answering the question it was created to address.
    Yes there are those people, but that isn't necessarily the majority, or even the majority who would disagree. I see what you are saying about the opinion on that far end, not being totally relavent, but the same could be said about yours. Do you think the majority of people who are staying in Disney deluxe hotels always (or usually) stay in deluxes? Not necessarily.

Post Thanks / Like

Now, now boys.....lets not squabble, the question seems pretty straightforward to me “were you satisfied.......”
    As I voted, in my own somewhat addled little head, I was satisfied and won’t make any apologies for that.
    I guess one mans ceiling is another mans floor.......
    Wells
    "But...I don't want to go among mad people."

"Oh, you can't help that," said the cat, "we're all mad here"

Post Thanks / Like

cgriff - if the point of the survey was to find out if wdw resort quality is on the decline- than why not have that be the poll ?
    Hi Gueli, in this other thread someone made the claim that "many more people who stay in WDW Deluxe accommodations are dissatisfied with their stay." They came to that conclusion having only asked people whom they knew (a closed reference group). I thought it might be informative, and frankly, more valid, to poll a larger group of geographically diverse people.

So what are your conclusions (so far) ?
    So far the poll results reflect that many people who stay in WDW Deluxe accommodations are satisfied with their stay.

Post Thanks / Like

In May of last year we stayed at the Poly Concierge Building. We loved it!!! The view was perfect and it was the most relaxing WDW vacation that we had ever had. Well worth the extra cost. I would do it again, but not every time we go.
    DDuck66
    Disney Veteran

2000- Once
    2001- Twice
    2002- Three Times
    2003- Three times
    2004 Twice
    2005 Twice
    2006- October and Christmas
    2007- The year of the annual pass!!!
    2008- Concierge at the POLY!!!!
    2009- Birthdays in January and March!!!!
    2010- Lots of trips..Too many to count!!

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am also surprised that the people who are not satisfied or have issues do not take them up with hotel managment right away. Broken appliances, long overdue filter changes, etc are things that can generally be repaired in short order (although not in time for the bath that is happening at the time). It brings to the point that if we, the paying guests, do not let them know something is wrong - how can they know that it needs fixing?
    And that is why we left notes both in the room and on Mousekeeping carts making them aware of concerns without having to take them to the Customer Services desk. Unfortunately, since we were staying on rented DVC points, Mousekeeping did not make up the room during our visit and deemed it unnecessary to respond to our notes on their cart. That was also in our letter to Customer Services.

Again, none of the concerns we posted were of the vacation ruining variety, but we expected better from Deluxe/DVC accommodations.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I see what you are saying about the opinion on that far end, not being totally relavent, but the same could be said about yours. Do you think the majority of people who are staying in Disney deluxe hotels always (or usually) stay in deluxes? Not necessarily.
    I think we've gotten somewhat off track from what the original discussion topic was here ...

First off, I do not, in any way, consider myself on the polar opposite end of the spectrum from the Disney Apologist segment. That would be Disney haters, of which I am obviously not one.

Am I realistic? Able to see and admit to Disney's warts? Yes. Will I talk about them openly and criticize when appropriate? Yes. Do I think Disney is perfect, never does anything wrong, and needs to be placed in some Ivory Tower to the point where I should just feel graced that they'll even accept my money and allow me to enter their theme parks? No. Never will. Every company, no matter who it is, needs to earn my dollars.

At any rate ... what you say is just off the mark. This conversation did not start out with someone who has never stayed deluxe anywhere asking if Disney's deluxe accomodations were satisfactory. They started out with just the opposite ... someone who compared two levels of Orlando-area deluxe accomodations and found Disney A. not price competitive and B. not measuring up in terms of amenities.

Honestly, that was it and that was all. And the purpose of this poll was, quite simply, to try and prove somehow that the guy was wrong.

But it can't possibly accomplish that, because it's inherently skewed in the sense that it's only querying die-hard Disney fans who visit a Disney internet fan site.

There is no possible way to present the results of this survey as relevant to that conversation. That's all I'm trying to say.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Default and

Am I realistic? Able to see and admit to Disney's warts? Yes. Will I talk about them openly and criticize when appropriate? Yes. Do I think Disney is perfect, never does anything wrong, and needs to be placed in some Ivory Tower to the point where I should just feel graced that they'll even accept my money and allow me to enter their theme parks? No. Never will. Every company, no matter who it is, needs to earn my dollars....
    And it's certainly possible to be a WDW fan and still see faults.

It seems like when someone says there were, for example, obvious problems with the room, the replier asks, in effect, "how quickly, throughly, repeatedly and emphatically did you notify the resort?"

I, for one, hate complaining (really). When I think of WDW I think of Dumbo not being on hold with a call center a thousand miles away or standing in line at the front desk, a 10 minute walk from my room at midnight. Then standing at the front desk while they discuss me back at the supervisor's desk.

There are already too many guests complaining about stupid things and I don't want to add to the noise.

And I always feel like this hourly worker I'm complaing to thinks I'm trying to finagle some sort of discount or free dessert or something.

If Disney can make a ride seem like a Mars flight they can accomplish ground floor rooms at the BW that aren't moldy, even in central Florida.

I drive a Honda not because they have a great complaint department but because in multiple vehicals over hundreds of thousands of miles I've never had a need to use their complaint department.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we've gotten somewhat off track from what the original discussion topic was here ...

First off, I do not, in any way, consider myself on the polar opposite end of the spectrum from the Disney Apologist segment. That would be Disney haters, of which I am obviously not one.
    I didn't say that Ian, read what you quoted. I know you are a Disney fan, so am I. I know you can see most problems objectively, so can I. My point is that since you obviously stay in deluxe resorts more than the average person, that scews your opinion, just like someone who has never stayed in one and is blown away by the deluxes.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I didn't say that Ian, read what you quoted. I know you are a Disney fan, so am I. I know you can see most problems objectively, so can I. My point is that since you obviously stay in deluxe resorts more than the average person, that scews your opinion, just like someone who has never stayed in one and is blown away by the deluxes.

No, see I totally don't think so. I mean look ... it's NOT like I'm being nit-picky here that they don't have fluffy enough towels or their sheets are 1,000 thread count. I'm talking about very basic customer service stuff, like a guy who pays for an upgraded view, ends up overlooking a construction site, and is refused not only a new room but a refund of the extra money he paid for his upgraded view!

That's got nothing to do with "deluxe accomodations" or any kind of unreasonable expectations. That's a level of service you'd honestly expect from a Motel 6.

That's what I'm getting at. It's not like I'm some hoity-toity Four Seasons snob. I'm not at all. I just think Disney fails miserably in some of the most basic aspects of customer service.

At the very least, they're guilty of being extremely inconsistent. Read the boards. Are there rave reviews? Absolutely. But for each one you'll find a negative one. And that, IMO, is not world class. Consistency of guest experience is a hallmark of top tier service organizations.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Now, now boys.....lets not squabble,
    lol...nothing personal, just a difference of opinion. Have you ever read the Magical site? We're having a lovefest....
    As I voted, in my own somewhat addled little head, I was satisfied and won’t make any apologies for that.
    I guess one mans ceiling is another mans floor.......
    And you shouldn't, unless you voted with malice... BTW, why are you addled?

Post Thanks / Like

No, see I totally don't think so. I mean look ... it's NOT like I'm being nit-picky here that they don't have fluffy enough towels or their sheets are 1,000 thread count. I'm talking about very basic customer service stuff, like a guy who pays for an upgraded view, ends up overlooking a construction site, and is refused not only a new room but a refund of the extra money he paid for his upgraded view!
    I agree with you on that, you read what I would have done. Part of what I'm basing my comment on is previous similar threads we've both been a part of.
    That's what I'm getting at. It's not like I'm some hoity-toity Four Seasons snob. I'm not at all. I just think Disney fails miserably in some of the most basic aspects of customer service.
    Not saying that, but but a lot of companies have failures of customer service. It's not an excuse, it shouldn't happen, period, but it does. Unfortunately, if people don't complain, nothing is fixed. Don't anyone take that personally, I understand why you don't want to complain during your vacation.
    At the very least, they're guilty of being extremely inconsistent. Read the boards. Are there rave reviews? Absolutely. But for each one you'll find a negative one. And that, IMO, is not world class. Consistency of guest experience is a hallmark of top tier service organizations.
    I think extreme may be a little, well, extreme. It is human nature to complain about something bad, more than rave about something good.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Expectations

Part of my reason I am satisfied with Disney is my expectations.

My wife I were at Ohana, just the 2 of us, but we were seated right in front of the 'actvities' - the hula, coconut race start etc. The emcee apologized to us for bumping in to our table and the general confusion. We told him we came to Ohana expecting to be around family fun. He laughed big, put leis on us and assured us we would.

I don't expect WDW to be "sophisticated", the California Grill will always have strollers and flip-flops, but I expect WDW to be "correct". Our last stay at check in they insisted we had booked 'standard' not 'preferred'. Insisted, realy insisted. We forgive you but you're wrong insisted. Only when I dug out my Disney printed confirmation and they read p-r-e-f-e-r-r-e-d did they tell me none were avilable and I would need to switch resports and there would be a wait (it was 4pm) or I could go to my building 6 room and start my vacation. I asked them if they were going to reroute our DME luggage and they cheked again and (magically) found a preferred location room.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: