Quantcast Sorcerers Hat at DHS - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell19 View Post
    Another hat hater here!!

My favorite thing about DHS is feeling like you are in old hollywood or on a hollywood set and seeing the theater when you first walk in made you feel that way. Now you have a dumb, gigantic hat in the way ! I almost would bet Walt would've been against that idea!

Don't get me started on losing residental street either!!
    COMPLETELY agree!! I miss the old Hollywood feel you are supposed to get at MGM (can never call it DHS ). The hat just looks like an afterthought. I am crossing my fingers that it is moved somewhere else....but I can understand why there may be a licensing problem.

Residential street! Tragic! When I work at the Backlot Tour I am CONSTANTLY getting questions about residential street. People remember that more than anything!
    Meg

"If we can dream it, we can do it."

Roll Tide!

WDWCP: Fall 2006
    Seasonal CM since January 2007 (Backlot Tour)

50+ visits

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MegPeg85 View Post
    Residential street! Tragic! When I work at the Backlot Tour I am CONSTANTLY getting questions about residential street. People remember that more than anything!
    I loved the Residential Street! It was great to go through! I was saddened to learn that it was gone. Even though the car show is really cool to watch, I miss the old street.
    Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

WDW stays
    1998 Old Key West
    2003 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2005 Port Orleans FQ
    2007 Coronado Springs
    2009 Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cindchan View Post
    I loved the Residential Street! It was great to go through! I was saddened to learn that it was gone. Even though the car show is really cool to watch, I miss the old street.
    I am so glad I'm not the only one who misses that ! Even though the houses were fake I always wanted to live there when I was a kid. Have WDW literally be your backyard! It's hard to take the backlot tour because I miss it so much . Thank goodness for memories !
    * A dream is wish your heart makes

* Second star to the right then straight on till morning

Post Thanks / Like

Save the hat:
    " I'm Grumpy cause you're Dopey "

CSR MAR 2012
    POR Jan 2012
    WLR Christmas 2010
    CSR July 2010
    A S Sports- Agst 2009
    CBR - ESPN Weekend 2009
    CSR - ESPN Weekend 2008
    POR - Sept 2007
    YC - July 2006
    POR - Christmas 2005

GRUMPY DUDE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvDaMouse View Post
    Does anyone have any pictures pre hat??
    Assuming we're allowed to link to google - if not I apologize...

http://images.google.com/hosted/life...4f746d05bed75b

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! Thanks jetsdc! I don't know that I've ever seen a street shot like that minus the hat! That was so cool! Now I understand all the disdain for the hat!

When we first visited in 2002, the hat was there, I can't imagine it without the hat! I love the hat! But, seeing how the streetscape looked pre-hat, I wouldn't mind if the hat were moved to another location! But, I can't imagine that happening. Hmm....

Along the lines tho of the added hand & wand to SSE! Which again were up for our 1st trip, and I was so sad when I learned that they were being removed! I thought SSE would look naked, but seeing it last year, WOW! It's gorgeous! So I guess never say never! Maybe, just maybe!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that picture is great thanks- it does look better
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

The Chinese Theater is mediocre at best.
    The Sorcerer's Hat is a true Disney icon.
    A slightly different location for the Hat would have been better.

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit that I like the hat....as for it making the park seem less "Hollywoodish," that really isn't such a bad thing. We visited the real thing a couple years ago and it was pretty disappointing (with the combination of vendors, street performers, hucksters, panhandlers, and other nefarious types roaming about...the area was also very dirty). We much prefer the sanitized disney version...hat included.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I honestly have no idea what prompted them to build that hat monstrosity, but the only thing that would satisfy me is if they were using those construction walls to hide the rigging of the dynamite.

I HATE that stupid thing!

Quote Originally Posted by 2Epcot View Post
    No chance Disney is using invisible paint?
    love it!!
    1st WDW trip - 1973 at 5 weeks old!

Disney addict since 1973!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    I must admit that I like the hat....as for it making the park seem less "Hollywoodish," that really isn't such a bad thing. We visited the real thing a couple years ago and it was pretty disappointing (with the combination of vendors, street performers, hucksters, panhandlers, and other nefarious types roaming about...the area was also very dirty). We much prefer the sanitized disney version...hat included.
    I understand how the "real" hollywood isn't anything like Disney. DIsney didn't want it to be like the "real" Hollywood. It's the fantasy of the old hollywood settings in the 40's and 50's. If you watch old movies or even television shows (for example: I Love Lucy ) they make out old Hollywood to be glamorous and exciting . (Of course the real thing isn't) So Disney took the old hollywood feel and made it to be that magical place they make it seem in the movies and television. I don't remember anything about a gigantic hat being a part of that ! Don't get me wrong, I love the Hat ...just not where they have it. Takes away the cool feeling. To me anyway!
    * A dream is wish your heart makes

* Second star to the right then straight on till morning

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

Assuming the theater holds a copyright on its design and that the dispute with Disney is true, the copyright will probably expire around 2020 (the theater was built in 1927). The copyright would only be good for about 95 years from creation. Maybe Disney is holding out until that time period and will then tear the hat down. Just speculation on my part though.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Goofster - That's a good one! Goofy - but good!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

someone had said the hat wasnt supposed to be there.........if it had been in another spot that wasnt so bad I wouldnt have minded...but the blockage of the GMR doesnt cut it
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    Fine don't use it for promotional purposes. Just move the hat elsewhere and give us a well themed street again!

Actually, as Werner Weiss over at Yesterland points out, this probably isn't the case:

"The Internet legend doesn’t make much sense when you think about it. Guests can still see and photograph the Disney version of the Chinese Theatre—just not from as many angles as previously. To believe the legend, you would have to accept that Disney is stuck with a contract that allowed them to build a replica of the façade of Grauman’s Chinese Theatre in 1989, but, if the theater were sold, would only allow guests to see it if they were looking from an angle or standing very close in front of it. "

His take is that the suits simply decided the hat was a better icon than the tower (which it is...in a different place).
    I don't know. The tower's kinda cool.
    1995-ASSp, 2000-offsite, 2001-ASMo, 2002-WL, 2003-ASmo-POR-Poly, 2004-Pop, 2005-CS,Pop,CBR, 2006-WL,Pop, 2007-POR, 2008-Ctp

Beam me up, Scotty!

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

They only put the hat there for photographs. Since Disney is the most photographed place worldwide. So they put it there, so when people come in they see that first and start taking pictures. And if people dont have cameras they buy it. I love disney, its just to obvisous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofster View Post
    Assuming the theater holds a copyright on its design and that the dispute with Disney is true, the copyright will probably expire around 2020 (the theater was built in 1927). The copyright would only be good for about 95 years from creation. Maybe Disney is holding out until that time period and will then tear the hat down. Just speculation on my part though.
    Actually, it is not covered under copyright law but trademark law. Trademark covers icons, like the Coke script, the Pepsi ball, the name Sony and so on. Among the many aspects of trademark are that the registered trademark owner maintains ownership of the trademark as long as they have used it in a 5 year period. Unlike copyright it can, therefor, be trademarked forever as long as the owner activley uses it.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: