Quantcast From the far reaches of Universal and beyond

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default From the far reaches of Universal and beyond

I'm sure most of you would probably hate me for posting this, but since this is a discussion board, and I would really like to discuss this topic of Disney fans and their opinion on the "competition" as most of you put it.

A couple questions I'd like hear from you guys before I start really getting into this subject:

Have you ever visited a non-Disney park before, such as Universal, Sea World, Busch Gardens, etc?
    If yes, did you have fun?
    If no, why didn't you have fun? (and I'm sorry, but "because it wasn't Disney" isn't an answer.)

What I'd really like to know is why is it that a big majority of Disney fans won't bother giving other parks a chance, and for the few that do, they go expecting Disney or keep thinking of Disney, and ultimately end up having a lousy time because they were wishing they were at Disney. I'm sorry, but there are more things to life than just Disney, and even though Disney is a fun place to visit, it doesn't mean it's the only place to have a great time.

Before you start bashing me or my crazy idea of "give the other guys a chance" hear me out. I do enjoy Disney as much as any of you, AND I also enjoy visiting Universal and the rest just as much too. I love having fun everywhere, and I think if you guys understand this concept of having fun anywhere you go, that you'll really enjoy all parks a lot better, including Disney. I'm just tired of hearing all the pointless ranting and complaining about this and that, and most of them are really about nothing in particular, just them missing Mickey, or wondering why Mickey allows long lines for the churro stand. Ok, I'm done ranting now.

Please secure all personal belongings, fasten your seatbelts, persons with head, neck, back problems, pregnant, suffer from motion sickness or sensativity to strobes and special effects are advised not to post. Hang on tight, because this is gonna be interesting!

Let this discussion begin!
    Skipper's General Warning!
    Reading of this signature might result in the following:
    Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Nausea, Heartburn, Indigestion,
    Upset Stomach, Diarrhea, and may Complicate Pregnancy.
    Consult a physician if read thoroughly.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That's an easy answer. I can't even consider taking my 3 kids to Universal until they're older, because there's not that many rides that would cater to my 2 younger ones. I can go to Disney and know that as a family that's where we can get the most benefits! It's a place where everything we look for in a theme park is there. No matter what age! There's something there for everyone.

It's also a very educational place. You can learn more about other countries, learn science, how things are grown, etc. I could go on and on!

I love Disney because it is Disney and it's everything I thought it would be and more that I thought it would be. That's why I think Disney is still so popular. They have something to offer everyone and Disney makes sure that every vacation is magical!
    Disneyland Jun 01'
    ASM Jan 04'
    PC Jan 05'
    PC Jan 07'
    PC Jan 08'
    PC Jan 09'
    POR Sept 09'
    Disneyland July 10'
    POR Sept 11'
    Disneyland July 12'
    POR Nov 13'
    Disneyland 14'
    POR Jan 15'
    POR July 17'
    Disneyland July 17'
    Disneyland Paris Mar 19'
    Disneyland July 19'
    PC Sept 19'

Post Thanks / Like

I have been to the Universal parks before and while I enjoyed certain rides (terminator, the Mummy, Spiderman) it just didn't have the same atmosphere as Disney World.
    Firstly the atmosphere wasn't the same - it seemd that music was blaring, you were constantly being pushed to buy things and the crowds weren't as well controlled (in my opnion)
    Secondly I wear glasses and being forced to take them off for even tamer rollercoasters like the mummyjust put me in a bad mood. I don't think having to take them off then be led through the queue and then not being able to see theride. I realise this is for health and safety but I have worn them on major rolercoasters before with no problem - and I can't wear contacts.
    Finally the food jut wasn't as good as at Disney and the service wasn't the same.
    I'd love to go back to do a few of the rides again but the hassle of getting their and back just puts me off.
    This is of course just my opinon
    Dragongirlx (AkA Ruth)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

2004 - offsite
    2006 - Dolphin
    2007- WL
    2008 - Poly
    2009 - WL
    2010 - GF
    2012 - WL
    2013 - WL
    2014 - WL

Salisbury, Md 14 hours, 21 minutes or 903.36 miles From Disney
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been to : Hershey, six flags great adventure, six flags america, dorney park,Kings Dominion, and cedar point. they are basically glorified stationary carnivals IMO. I have been to sea world and universal and as another poster stated i can not do universal until my kids are older as they do not have a lot for the younger kids. sea world we are holding off on until we are full time Florida residents, and for teh girls to be a lil older as well. Disney just has everything for everyone. Their better at keeping the attention of children ( and adults for that matter) with little attention spans. they cater to kids and handicapped like no other company. The theming of the queues is amazing and most every ride has a story line. also as a pooh sized lady ( not for much longer ) it is nice to be able to ride a ride and not have to worry about trying a test seat first to see if i will fit. I am very comfy at disney.
    Last edited by tinklover; 12-23-2008 at 10:00 AM. Reason: forgot to add Kings dominion to my list
    șoș Josette șoș
    ~*~Next up~*~
    November 2015
    Surprise trip(Pop Century)

Just because I cannot see it, doesn't mean I can't believe it! -Jack Skellington

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

I enjoy the other parks just not as much as I enjoy Disney. I like Universal and Islands of Adventure. I don't like having to get a locker at every ride. The employees are sometimes rude ( I said sometimes, some are friendly, the rudeness is more frequent there) At disney almost all cast members smile, speak and when walking in crowds seem to be more relaxed and yeilding. I have been at Universal walking and on several occaisions over the years have been ran into by employees of the parks??? We like Seaworld and Our family visits universal and islands on every trip because we do enjoy the attractions, the atmosphere just leaves much room for improvement and I am not one who expects to be catered to. I read some of the complaining post on here and think, "If that's all I had go wrong I would be really happy" Some people nitpick. The magic at Disney is just all encompasing...I can't explain it. I don't know how they make every guest feel so welcome and special but they do. There is something there for everyone at every age and most attractions appeal to all ages.
    6/11 DCL Med
    5/11 DCL & Port Bay
    10/10 SOG
    6/10 Regal Sun
    5/2010 AKL
    6/09 POFQ
    2/09 OKW
    10/08 AS Movies
    7/07 Pop
    12/06 C Beach
    3/06 POFQ
    3/05 C Springs
    3/04 POP
    3/03 SOG
    4/02 Contemp
    3/01 SOG
    3/00 AS Music
    6/99 SOG
    5/98 Best Western LBV

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of years ago our group of friends (16 in total) did 4 days at Universal and 4 days at Disney.

While we LOVED the Hard Rock, express pass, and their night-time complex we did have some problems. They "lost" about half of our dinner reservations. With a party as large as ours it was very tough. They don't give confirmation numbers, just go by your name. We even called a few days before our arrival to make sure they were all set. We did end up having a great experience when they didn't have our reservation for a character meal, they switched us to one of the other hotels (non-character) and we got a private bus and the place was pretty empty to it was like we had the restaurant to ourselves.

We loved some of the rides, but not having to get lockers, and it seems like they had lots of breakdowns while we were there. We did have to take turns staying out with the kids too small for some rides, but that is the same at Disney for us. Food in the parks was not as good as Disney.

The Hard Rock was awesome, we loved the pool, restaurants and being so close to the parks, but then again when we stay at Disney we stay at a moderate or value.

We will go back, but our feelings were Disney knows how to handle large groups better, and we should have done more research on Universal and Islands.

We just felt more comfortable at Disney, but I think if we did Universal as often we would feel the same there.

We were going to do Sea World on our next trip, but....for the same price as one day at SW we upgraded our Disney tickets for multiply visits to the water parks and Disney Quest. We gave our kids the choice and that's what they would prefer to do. Disney has done a great job of making it hard to leave their property once you get there, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

First off I want to thank you for posting without feeling the need to tear my head off, really appreciated! (You have no idea what other responses I've seen before, and was kinda expecting the same here.) Although I do respect each of your opinions, I do feel that some of them may be because you haven't either give Universal a chance by not doing research before your trip as you would for Disney, or once again comparing it to Disney. I doubt that these are the cases with those that have replied so far because each of you said you've enjoyed your stay there, and I do think you really mean it, so glad you guys had fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragongirlx View Post
    it just didn't have the same atmosphere as Disney World.
    Firstly the atmosphere wasn't the same - it seemd that music was blaring, you were constantly being pushed to buy things and the crowds weren't as well controlled (in my opnion)
    Of course, it's not Disney. I actually like the fact that it doesn't feel like Disney, because I'm not really into the whole "Disney" feel to be honest with you, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying a trip to Disney.

Music was blaring where? The only area I can think of blaring music is in the parking garages, and I don't even think it's that loud. Just loud enough for you to hear and enjoy, and I'm glad they pump in some energetic upbeat music to get you prepped into having a blast.

Constantly being pushed to buy things? I do feel Disney does this more than Universal with an excessive amount of gift shops all over the "world" Universal did borrow the idea rides exiting into giftshops, and I'm not a fan of that either. When Universal opened up, I don't think any of the attractions had a gift shop at the end, but that has changed, and if you went on ET Adventure, you'll quickly note that as soon as you exit the building, there are planters that redirect you into the gift shop, probably what you were calling them pushing you into buying things.

Secondly I wear glasses and being forced to take them off for even tamer rollercoasters like the mummyjust put me in a bad mood. I don't think having to take them off then be led through the queue and then not being able to see theride. I realise this is for health and safety but I have worn them on major rolercoasters before with no problem - and I can't wear contacts.
    I think they probably wanted you to take them off as soon as you sit down so they don't go flying off your face, not right at the entrance. I'm not into coasters or thrill rides, so I don't have to worry about little things like that, but do understand why they're strict about these things, it's because incidents have occured before and want to prevent that from happening again. On MIB, you used to be able to bring your bags on with you, and had mesh bags to put your stuff in, and a yellow hook to hang bigger bags. For those that don't know, MIB does spin, and after having a couple people not knowing how to properly hang their bags, they flew off and took out an alien in the ride. They stopped that and put up those dreaded lockers because of that. I know it's a pain, but as you said, it is for your safety.

Finally the food jut wasn't as good as at Disney and the service wasn't the same.
    I'd love to go back to do a few of the rides again but the hassle of getting their and back just puts me off.
    This is of course just my opinon
    I'm assuming you did counter service. I do agree with you that some of the counter service team members aren't the greatest, and you just have to shrug it off and let them be. Chances are they're not having a good day, because I have seen excellent counter service staff as well. As far as food, I'd suggest trying to get into Mythos at IOA, really great sit down resteraunt and has won several awards for being the best theme park resteraunt for several years in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by tink179 View Post
    That's an easy answer. I can't even consider taking my 3 kids to Universal until they're older, because there's not that many rides that would cater to my 2 younger ones. I can go to Disney and know that as a family that's where we can get the most benefits! It's a place where everything we look for in a theme park is there. No matter what age! There's something there for everyone.
    I know Universal appeals more to the thrill rider crowd, but they still have several family friendly attractions, and stuff for the kids too. I think that the family friendly attractions at Universal are worth a trip over with your kids, depending on how old they are. 4 and under, probably not a good idea. IOA has an entire island full of family friendly attractions called Seuss Landing, Jurassic Park has an amazing kid's area where they can climb nets and get lost in caves and thick jungle-like atmosphere. I even love getting lost in there and go exploring, because the theming is just awesome to take in. JP also has the discovery center with hands on fun, and is educational too. Toon Lagoon has a little play area in the back on Popeye's Ship, and over at Marvel, they have a teacups ride that the kids would love, especially due to the fact that it never has any long lines.

Quote Originally Posted by tinklover View Post
    Their better at keeping the attention of children ( and adults for that matter) with little attention spans.
    I LOL'd at that, it's so true how it seems like most people check their brains in at the entrance when going through the turnstyles.

Quote Originally Posted by deedeenmickey View Post
    The employees are sometimes rude ( I said sometimes, some are friendly, the rudeness is more frequent there) At disney almost all cast members smile, speak and when walking in crowds seem to be more relaxed and yeilding. I have been at Universal walking and on several occaisions over the years have been ran into by employees of the parks???
    Not trying to defend all the team members at Universal, because there are some that are just plain bad, and thankfully haven't dealt with them before, but I think the reason why you think some of them are more rude is because most of them are still in high school or straight out of high school and this is their first job, and haven't really understand the concept of customer service. Disney gets most of their CM's from the College Program, and I'm sure they get screened to see if they have customer service skills and can handle working at a theme park, because trust me on this one, working at a theme park is no easy task. But despite how hard it is to work at a theme park, many do manage it well, and provide excellent service, and sometimes even go above and beyond the Disney standards, but no one ever notices these things, they tend to focus more about the guy who gave you that nasty look while handing you your plate of food. As for running into guests? I've never heard that happen before, and sorry that it has happened to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Cheers to both ~

I am a Disney fanatic and love the World!
    But we also do Universal everytime we go down for at least 4 days, and NASA. We have gone to Busch gardens and Seaworld as well on a couple of occasions. For Busch Gardens, once was enough for me. I love Seaworld ( I could watch penguins all day!!) but DH isn't that keen on it.
    Universal is definitely fun, and yes, very different from Disney, but we love it as much and would never go without visiting it as well. I don't expect Universal to be Disney ~ it's like expecting all people to be considerate and polite ~ it's not going to happen and I think you learn to appreciate each in their own right. If everything was like WDW, it wouldn't be so magical and special. But I do only stay onsite at WDW when we go down now.
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFanatic View Post
    While we LOVED the Hard Rock, express pass, and their night-time complex we did have some problems. They "lost" about half of our dinner reservations. With a party as large as ours it was very tough. They don't give confirmation numbers, just go by your name. We even called a few days before our arrival to make sure they were all set. We did end up having a great experience when they didn't have our reservation for a character meal, they switched us to one of the other hotels (non-character) and we got a private bus and the place was pretty empty to it was like we had the restaurant to ourselves.
    I'm not aware of all of this since I'm a local and never have to deal with resorts, but from the trip reports I've heard, they have provided excellent service for the guests which looks like they have for you as well, even if they did mess up your reservation.

We loved some of the rides, but not having to get lockers, and it seems like they had lots of breakdowns while we were there. We did have to take turns staying out with the kids too small for some rides, but that is the same at Disney for us. Food in the parks was not as good as Disney.
    No one ever likes their lockers over there, and I'm sure they're aware of it from having numerous times helping people how to use them. I'm sure they're looking into a better system for the lockers so they aren't as bad to deal with. As for the ride breakdowns, it happens anywhere, but does happen more often at Universal since they have more advanced ride systems and special effects that do break down here and there. There have been some suggestions about not riding certain rides when they first open because they break down in the morning after going through it's cycle and being checked off, but are fine for the rest of the day.

We just felt more comfortable at Disney, but I think if we did Universal as often we would feel the same there.
    Understandable, and probably a major reason why Disney fans keep going back to Disney, and probably would never try Universal, because they're not familiar or comfortable with it. I'm sure if you did more reasearch as you said, you probably would have had an even better time at the parks, but looks like you already had a great time.

Disney has done a great job of making it hard to leave their property once you get there, lol.
    Yes they do, and I disagree with how they literally steal guests straight from the airport called "Magical Express" so now you're a prisoner in the "world" and can't leave until your vacation is done, unless you want to call for a cab, but who would want to do that when you have everything at the "world?" Before they did that, the average family came down to visit Disney, and then Universal and Sea World for a couple days, but it was mostly Disney, and now with these changes such as Magical Express and Magic Your Way tickets, they're really ruining it for others to see what else is nearby, and I would hate to see some of these other attractions close down. I have seen some really neat attractions off I-Drive and then a couple months later, see that they're out of business which really tears me up, because it was a cool experience. Anyone remember or heard of Mystery Fun House?

Post Thanks / Like

I have been to Universal 3 times and didn't enjoy it any of those times. And not technically because it's not Disney, but sort of because it's not Disney. I'll explain...the parks are beautiful and they have great ideas for rides. But, the experience is just not the same, the customer service is seriously lacking. If I show up at Disney when a park opens, I know I will not see cast members walking in through the front gates, still putting on their uniforms/costumes as they walk and talking on their cell phones. That is what I saw at Universal. At Disney, I know that stores and restaurants will be open when I arrive and the rides will be turned on. I experienced the complete opposite at Universal, where I had to wait at least a 1/2 hour before actually being able to do anything because the staff wasn't prepared for us. And, at Disney, I have never sat through a 1/2 hour preshow only to be told that the ride is broken, has been broken all day, and that it won't be fixed any time soon. I have had that happen all three times at Universal.

Every time I've been to Universal, I have gone through the entire park in 1/2 a day, finished everything because 1/2 the rides are broken. I find it a pathetic place.

That being said, Universal's strength is in their hotels, which they don't even run. The Lowe's resorts are first class all the way. Their hotels are beautiful and clean, and the customer service there is first class. And, when we lived in Florida it was absolutely wonderful that they are pet-friendly (and yet still manage to be clean and beautiful).

So, I would absolutely, definitely stay at a Universal RESORT again and again, but I could care less if I ever go to Universal Studios again.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I've visited both Universal and IOA and, quite honestly, I was underwhelmed by both.

And not because I'm some rabid Disney nut who refuses to acknowledge the existence of other parks ... I just wasn't all that impressed. I found that most of their rides and attractions sort of danced up to the edge of good and then left me wanting more at the end.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We have also done all of the other parks in the Orlando area as well as many in other parts of the country and the simple difference is that others are pretty much just rides where Disney is a totally immersive experience. There are so many small things that even the best of the other parks just either don't try to do or don't do well that Disney has covered from top to bottom. At Disney World I do truly feel that I have entered another environment for the time I am there but don't have that same emotional experience when I walk in elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

well this post had me wondering if just maybe i might be missing something on my upcoming disney vacation,maybe we should venture out to universal or sea world,so i took a look at their site,saw the pricing and thought to myself,for that amount,it would have to be pretty special,so i took a look at the attractions as they show a video clip of most of them,and to almost each of them i could say oh,that one is almost like kilamajara,or that one resemble splash,shrek is something like stitch,or a bugs life,i may have to go to make a more educated decision,but it just doesn't seem worth it this time around.
    i also do not feel as if disney is keeping me from all other parcs and attractions because of the magical express,it is pure convinience and a load off my shoulders as i travel solo with my 2 junior thrillseekers,and i love the whole package i am offered from disney especially the transport and dining plan,the variety of restaurants and entertainment,all delivered with that disney experience and dedication to customer service.
    i actually like the stores coming off the rides,but i am a woman that likes trinkets and shopping!
    so universal,sea world and bushgardens will have to wait for some other time,i will be too busy at disney this time around!
    "this is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good."

stitchaholic
    off site-1980
    ASM-2008
    POP-JAN 26,2009

CSR-JAN,2009
    WLV-jan 2010
    next visit dec 2010 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

I have been to Universal, Sea World, Six Flags over Georgia, and Busch Gardens in Virginia. Although I like Disney the best, I didn't dislike my experiences at other parks.

DH and I really liked the animal exhibits at Sea World, but felt like the rides didn't have the back stories that we have come to expect at Disney. Also, I wasn't impressed by the food.

I love Busch Gardens in Virginia. I like the way it is set up and how it is so shady and spread out. It is my favorite non-Disney park!

I liked the rides at Universal, but so many were broken down at some point during the day. We would stand in line for 30-45 minutes to find out the ride was broken which was very frustrating. I know it can happen anywhere, but out of all the times I have been to Disney I can count maybe 4 or 5 times total it has happened to me, while it happened 4 or 5 times in my one day at Universal! I will however be going back to Universal when the Harry Potter part opens!

I hate Six Flags over Georgia. We used to go all the time when I was little (season passes every other year, Disney the other year) and I loved it then, but it has gone down hill badly in recent years. Rude employees, bad food, poor maintainence of the park and rides, etc. My parents worked there when they were in college and said that the rules for dress code and behavior were very strict then (more like Disney), but they obviously aren't anymore. The last time DH and I went was over 3 years ago and no matter how many new coasters they open to lure customers I can't see us going back anytime soon!

However, Disney is my favorite and always will be. There's an intangible experience that I don't feel at any other place I visit that keeps me coming back!

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albino_pygmy View Post
    Music was blaring where? The only area I can think of blaring music is in the parking garages, and I don't even think it's that loud. Just loud enough for you to hear and enjoy, and I'm glad they pump in some energetic upbeat music to get you prepped into having a blast..
    It was on at the enterance in all, the shops and from some of the stalls outside.

Constantly being pushed to buy things? I do feel Disney does this more than Universal with an excessive amount of gift shops all over the "world" Universal did borrow the idea rides exiting into giftshops, and I'm not a fan of that either. When Universal opened up, I don't think any of the attractions had a gift shop at the end, but that has changed, and if you went on ET Adventure, you'll quickly note that as soon as you exit the building, there are planters that redirect you into the gift shop, probably what you were calling them pushing you into buying things..
    Yes but at disney I didn't have cast members coming up to me and saying have you seen this thing and trying to get me to buy it, or hawking for sales from the carts I did at Universal

I think they probably wanted you to take them off as soon as you sit down so they don't go flying off your face, not right at the entrance. I'm not into coasters or thrill rides, so I don't have to worry about little things like that, but do understand why they're strict about these things, it's because incidents have occured before and want to prevent that from happening again. On MIB, you used to be able to bring your bags on with you, and had mesh bags to put your stuff in, and a yellow hook to hang bigger bags. For those that don't know, MIB does spin, and after having a couple people not knowing how to properly hang their bags, they flew off and took out an alien in the ride. They stopped that and put up those dreaded lockers because of that. I know it's a pain, but as you said, it is for your safety..
    Actually it was before the entrance to the ride and I had to put them in a locker. I am pretty blind without them so my sister had to lead me through the long queues

I'm assuming you did counter service. I do agree with you that some of the counter service team members aren't the greatest, and you just have to shrug it off and let them be. Chances are they're not having a good day, because I have seen excellent counter service staff as well. As far as food, I'd suggest trying to get into Mythos at IOA, really great sit down resteraunt and has won several awards for being the best theme park resteraunt for several years in a row.
    Actually it wasn't just counter service. However if we go back in 2010 when we are planning our next trip I will try Mythos as you have recommended.
    Dragongirlx (AkA Ruth)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

2004 - offsite
    2006 - Dolphin
    2007- WL
    2008 - Poly
    2009 - WL
    2010 - GF
    2012 - WL
    2013 - WL
    2014 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Such an INTERESTING thread...I just had to jump in here. We usually do either a week at Disney (staying anywhere from 5 - 10 days)or a week at Universal...combining it with Sea World and Discovery Cove.

At Disney, we've stayed at the Poly, AKL, and most often, the Beach Club. At Universal, we are normally at RP, but have stayed at the Portofino. DH usually comes to either for a weekend (especially if there's a trip to Discovery Cove)...DH hates theme parks. I like them...as does DD. Up front, I adore Disney, but have come to admire and enjoy what Universal has to offer.

One thing up front - there's a bit of discussion about music blaring...at IOA, in the Superhero section (where the Hulk is), there is no way to describe it except as really, really loud.

That said...my little girl (from the time she was 7 or 8) preferred the Universal experience...SHE DOESN"T ride much of anything at Disney or Universal...but far preferred the play areas at Universal...particularly the one in Jurrasic Park and Curious George.

Now, to clarify her preference...Disney is crowded in comparison; there's always a line - except at River of Time in Mexico (her favorite Disney ride). The days have to be very planned out...we have to be in Norway for a 5pm seating! Universal is much more relaxed.

At Universal, we usually stay at The Royal Pacific - we have a mellow boat ride over to the parks after a leisurely breakfast, skip all the lines with our fast pass. You can usually easily book a nice sit down meal - not 90 days in advance. Kid is a mellow kid, who likes a sit down meal...likes to relax. Disney is a bit too busy for her...and I am REALLY careful not to overbook the time.

For Universal, Tickets are CHEAP in comparison...you can have a week at Universal plus two days at Sea World and still not pay close to what you would for a week at Disney. When we are at Disney, I have to remind myself that it is not possible to do it all...you cannot pack it all in...and if you try, you will have a miserable time.

As to Sea World...it's probably DD's
    favorite park after Discovery Cove...Sea World's play area with the climbing nets is just her idea of the best thing on earth. She loves the shows and the animal interactions.

My biggest wish...that the hotels at Disney were as good as the ones at Universal...I know people LOVE their Disney Hotels...but they just aren't all that and a bag of chips...I was a business traveler and a hotel not having internet access or just standard stuff one comes to expect from paying $300 a night? Unacceptable. I do consider the hotel experience as part and parcel of the whole experience.

Now, with all that being said, I would absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to be planning a Disney vacation right now. Wouldn't mind a Universal one, but we've done Universal a couple of times now and I am hankering for the Beach Club again and walking over to Epcot to see Illuminations...would so dearly love that. No fireworks a Universal. And some pretzel bread from Le Cellier...

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you decided to join us in discussion, the water's fine. I loved reading your post and glad you had a great time at all the parks. Funny how you mentioned you felt like you go to Universal to relax, and I feel the same way too. I used to have an AP to Universal and sometimes I'd just go there to get away from it all and kick back. I picked up my AP when they had one of their many great deals for the locals, either the buy a year, get a second year free, or half off, or whatever. Renewing isn't that much either, but I decided to give it a rest after I started working there (why bother renewing when my ID can get me in whenever I wanted?) Anyways, after I stopped working there, haven't picked up an AP yet, and don't plan on it until Harry Potter is done because I'm sure they'll have a great deal then to get people to come check it out.

It's really hard to explain to the typical "Disney fan" how I can relax at Universal, when they think they already are relaxing at Disney. I feel that Disney is just too busy, too chaotic, and you have that feeling you have to be kept on a tight schedule to cram everything in and make use of your tickets so that you get what you paid for. I'm not much on the rides at IOA either, but I do love that they have some areas where you can go just to escape such as Camp Jurassic, or some other quieter areas, like behind Popeye's ship, in the front of the Discovery Center at JP, or Sneetch Beach at Seuss Landing. Basically, the nice and quiet areas are all lagoon-side, if you're looking for a nice quiet area to go escape from the loud music and crazy coasters and what not

Post Thanks / Like

I've visited Universal Olando a couple of times, and lived near Universal Studios Hollywood for many years, so I visited there quite a bit. I enjoy Universal, actually liking versions of the rides better in Florida then CA, but CA has the great backlot tour.

We used to go to Sea World in San Diego at least once a year when I was a kid, and I get there just about that often today. I've never been to Sea World in Orlando. Usually when I'm in Florida I stay at Walt Disney World, or if I have time I go to Universal or the Space Center.

The Disney parks are still my favorites. While I have fun at other parks, there is no magic there like you find at the Disney parkss.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like so far everyone enjoys their visit to all the parks, but only Disney has "magic" and the rest do not? I think there's a bit of magic in the other parks, because you all seemed to have fun there, right?

More questions:

What do you consider "magic" at a Disney park that the rest lack? Do you think it's because of the cast members, or all the characters and parades and nightly fireworks, or is there something else?

Other parks do offer great service, some with parades and/or night shows, but yet isn't magical because it doesn't have the Disney label on it, which signifies a certain level of quality?

Do you think other parks have their own form of 'magic' that just isn't as noticable as Disney? If so, how does this type of 'magic' differ?

Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

As I said before, the Disney magic to me is intangible. Not sure what it is. Maybe it is because I have so many fond memories from all of our family trips over the years. Maybe it's because my dad is such a huge fan and has always turned into a big kid when we are there-and my DH is now the same way! Maybe it's Walt's spirit that still seems to be around even all these years after his death. Maybe it's the fact that Mickey always gives me a hug and a kiss even though I'm an adult now. There's just something about the place

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: