Quantcast Jay Leno to stay at NBC with 10pm show

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jay Leno to stay at NBC with 10pm show

NBC moving Leno to 10 p.m. slot
    'Tonight Show' host to stick with network

By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

Jay Leno won't be departing NBC after all.

Peacock is prepped to announce on Tuesday that the "Tonight Show" host will take over the 10 p.m. weeknight slot starting next fall - a blockbuster move that had been rumored as a possibility for months, but something NBC had believed was a real long shot until recently.

Decision to strip Leno at 10 p.m. solves one of the most pressing issue facing NBC in the coming year: How to keep ratings leader Leno at the network, and away from the competition.

Move also saves "Tonight Show" successor Conan O'Brien from having to compete against his predecessor - who was expected to land in the 11:35 slot at another network, most likely ABC. (Fox and Sony, among others, had expressed interest too.) But by keeping Leno on at 10 p.m., O'Brien may also very well wind up being overshadowed by his predecessor - particularly since Leno will air in primetime, when TV viewing is higher.

By putting Leno in the 10 p.m. slot, NBC U topper Jeff Zucker has just completely altered the primetime landscape going into next season.

With 10 p.m. now filled by Leno - not to mention Sunday Night Football consuming four hours on Sunday and repeats on Saturday - NBC may program as few as ten hours of traditional primetime fare next fall. With some of those hours likely to be reality shows, there's not much room left for scripted fare.

That may strike fear into the hearts of agents, studios and producers, but it also might be NBC's ticket out of the ratings dumpster. The 10 p.m. slot, which is still key for stations, which depend on network viewership as a lead-in for its local newscasts, has been mostly a disaster for NBC.

Other than "Law & Order: SVU," Peacock has been struggling badly in the hour - one in which it once dominated, with powerhouses such as "ER."

Now, "ER" is limping to the finish line, while one-time solid performer "Law & Order" doesn't pull the viewers it once did. Also, one of the fall's biggest flops, "My Own Worst Enemy," fizzled on Mondays at 10 p.m.

As for O'Brien, the incoming "Tonight" host had been told that such a move with Leno was going down, and was informed on Monday that it would be official. According to insiders, the O'Brien camp feels that it's better to have Leno as a lead-in (with local news smack in the middle) than have him as a direct competitor.

Now, O'Brien will only have to battle David Letterman at 11:35. Also, Leno exec producer Debbie Vickers and O'Brien exec producer Jeff Ross are said to be close, and now that they'll be physically in close proximity, may work together on guests and other production issues.

The idea of stripping a series at 10 p.m. is nothing new: NBC toyed with the idea in 1992 as a way to keep David Letterman at the network; its believed the network also considered stripping "Dateline NBC" on the network back during a period of earlier ratings woes.

The impact of moving Leno to 10 p.m. will likely be a hot topic for weeks.

"What does this mean to my show?" asked one NBC exec producer almost immediately after word of the Leno move leaked. Indeed, some shows may wind up with shorter orders than the traditional 22 episode season, as Peacock's needs may be less.

ABC and CBS meanwhile, may cheer the news: They can position their dramas there as counterprogramming for viewers not interested in watching a gabfest at 10 p.m.

Variety
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't like this idea. I can see how it might excite some fans who have trouble staying up late for The Tonight Show, but I'm not a fan of the format. I won't watch it, but I'm guessing it will be a hit and save NBC money in actually putting out expensive dramas. We'll see.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder why they are changing anything if he is staying? It would not bother me one way or another, as I have always liked Letterman better. I guess it goes back to my college days in the late 80's, staying up to watch Late Night...
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibrowse17 View Post
    I wonder why they are changing anything if he is staying? It would not bother me one way or another, as I have always liked Letterman better.
    I've also always liked Letterman better. I started watching Johnny Carson when I was 10 years old, and was able to watch the last 1/2 of his run on the Tonight Show. I thought Jay was OK as a fill in for Carson, but never wanted him to have the main show.

I think NBC felt Conan was a better person to keep the young audience, but then later feared loosing Leno to another network. Combine that with the fact they have almost no good primetime shows anymore, they decided kill two birds with one stone.

I don't like the idea, not just because I not a Leno fan, but the fact they are eliminating 5 hours of most likely scripted series tv from the air. I'd rather watch a good show then extended versions of Jay-walking and more celebrity interviews.

NBC is building Conan a brand new studio for his show on the Universal lot, but I think having Jay still in front of him takes away from him being the main guy. I can't imagine that Conan is too happy with the idea.

At least when I'm looking for something to watch on TV I know I can skip NBC at 10pm every week night and check out the other networks.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

The only part of Leno, Letterman, O'brian or any of the other late not shows that I like are the monologues and such which means I normally turn them off when they get to the couch and start talking to the guests so for that reason I really don't like having him on at 10. However, given the fact that no one, including NBC is willing to spend the money to put out decent scripted stuff then I think this is OK. Believe me, I will take Leno over reality shows any day!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not happy about this either. I'm not a fan of any of the late night talk shows and won't be watching it at 10pm either.
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

I just don't think this will be very popular.

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think Jay Leno and NBC missed an opportunity for a better fit by having him anchor their upcoming adaptation of BBC's Top Gear since he's such a car nut (and would draw comparisons to Jeremy Clarkson).

However, Leno turned it down specifically because he didn't think the show (airing on NBC) could be critical and honest of the cars they "review" because of the network fearing the potential of insulting a car advertiser so it will be watered down.

So instead they've got Adam Carolla and Formula D/stunt driver Tanner Foust- ok, he's got the driving cred, but as a TV personality he stinks from the shows he's honsted on Speed and Eric Stromer who probably didn't help things by managing to get in an accident and roll his Camry Hybrid in Hollywood though I guess he's their version of James May aka Captain Slow.

I love the BBC's original Top Gear, but I just see this NBC adaptation being terrible and that doesn't even take into account who they'll try to find to be the American Stig.

If I were casting a US version of Top Gear, I'd have gone with Leno, maybe Mike Rowe and Danica Patrick.

Post Thanks / Like

I just don't understand how this is a good idea for NBC. I mean what are they going to do with all the shows currently at the 10pm time slot? I know ER is ending but there is a show replacing it. There are also shows the rest of the week that will need new time slots assuming NBC doesn't give them the axe.

I just don't see how Leno will be so popular that he can generate the numbers that NBC would want for that time slot every day of the week.

Hopefully they don't get rid of Law & Order: SVU to put him on or I will be very upset.

I know right now I will not be watching this show.
    Chris

Recent Trips

January 09
    May 08
    Oct-Nov 07

May 07

Post Thanks / Like

eh, the only late night host I truly watch when I'm up is Craig Ferguson on CBS. Don't get me wrong, Jay's respectable (But I only find Headlines to be funny), and I think it's more cost saving than anything else but it'll be gone soon thereafter.
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!
    Disney College Program alumnus Aug 2011-Jan 2012 Electric Umbrella in Epcot

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy Jay more than Dave and Jimmy. I'm glad he's sticking around but it doesn't bother me what time he comes on because I just TIVO it.
    Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

I like both Leno and Letterman. I think that there are a lot of people like this and this will take away from Conan’s ratings. People will watch Leno at 10 and then watch Letterman at 11:30.
    BKJ

Wilderness Lodge May '13
    FW Campsite Jan '13
    FW Cabins May '11
    FW Campsite Dec '10
    Offsite Nov '10
    FW Cabins May '10
    FW Cabins Dec '09
    FW Cabins May '09
    FW Campsite Dec '08
    FW Cabins May '07
    Swan Dec '06
    FW Cabins May '06
    Offsite June '99
    FW Campsite Aug '79
    Contemporary '76

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking at this from NBC's side..

This is a great move for them.They are losing ER and other then Law and Order: SVU they really dont have nothing else on right now at that time. They will move SVU to the nine pm time slot. This saves them a ton of money, And not to mention they will not lose him to another network (abc) to go up against Conan. Its not unheard of to only have 2 hrs of primetime programming a night..I think FOX does it so does the CW..they have news at 10.

Dean
    Twitter = DVC5571

Apr 04--First trip ever--30th Birthday Present
    Dec 05--Off Site (Honeymoon)
    Oct 07-- On Stie POP
    Feb 09-- Off Site -AK day trip
    Sept 10 -- Onsite -Coronodo Springs

Member of the Tommorowland Metro-Retro Historical Society

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sportsguy2315 View Post
    eh, the only late night host I truly watch when I'm up is Craig Ferguson on CBS. Don't get me wrong, Jay's respectable (But I only find Headlines to be funny), and I think it's more cost saving than anything else but it'll be gone soon thereafter.
    I forgot about Craig Ferguson, he is absolutely hysterical! I could sit and listen to him go on half the night. Ferguson doesn't really need to interview guests to make his show funny, he can carry on all by himself and be funny.

I just wonder how much of what he does is scripted and how much is made up on the spot? I realize he may just be really good at acting out what he does but he sure seems to be going off the cuff a whole lot.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking forward to seeing Conan. I used to watch his show when they rebroadcast the next day on Comedy Central. I love his sense of humor and delivery. I like Dave too, but not as much as I used to. I am not a fan of Leno. I think his delivery is cheesy and boring (althought I like the headlines bit). I definitely won't be watching him in the earlier time slot.

Post Thanks / Like

I love it! I can watch Leno, Conan, and Craig Ferguson and not have to channel surf or use the DVR!
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: