Quantcast Figaro's Festive Frolics - part one

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Figaro's Festive Frolics - part one

The Players:
    Mikki - dlpmikki on these boards
    Andrew, her dh
    Me - Figaro and my cousins Floppy Figaro and stunt kitten Figaro beanie

Tuesday 18th November
    Our big travel experiment this time is to use the train to London Gatwick airport. The humans have to cram everything into just 2 cases to check in and 2 cabin bags – all 4 of which have wheels. Of course, the two bags to be checked are quite large and they also have the contents of their “owner’s locker” box waiting for them. Quite a lot of the weight is taken up by Christmas cards to either post in the USA or give to people we expect to meet. There are 3 of us toy Figaros going: Floppy, who is big and soft and Mikki likes to cuddle; Travelling Beanie, who is the “stunt kitten” because he can get into places I can’t; and me, No 1. Sometimes, one or both of the others have to go in the checked cases, but not today: there is no room!

The train journey is remarkably smooth and uneventful. The first train takes us to Kings Cross station in London and it is a short walk to St Pancras for a direct one to the airport. For anyone who doesn’t know, St Pancras is a beautiful old Victorian station with a grand arched roof that has recently been completely modernised. It now handles, national trains running both north and south plus the international terminal for high speed trains to Europe. One plus of the modernisation is that there are plenty of lifts (elevators) for people like us with luggage.

We check in to the Hilton hotel at Gatwick – which is just by the terminal. We are offered an upgrade of room for £50. Holiday spirit has obviously set in so we accept. We are promised a larger room in a new wing that is very quiet and gives access to the Executive Lounge.

I don’t know how much bigger the room was (it had a very smart bathroom with bath and separate shower – but who needs that?), but the humans enjoyed all the other benefits. There was no sound at all from outside. It was quite a walk to the new wing from Reception (reminded us of a few Disney hotels) but the room was very close to the Executive Lounge – which was serving complementary snacks and drinks. Mikki calculated that even if they had searched for somewhere on the airport cheaper than the hotel, they would have paid as much or more to eat and drink than the cost of the upgrade – and that was before tomorrow’s complimentary breakfast.

So far, jolly good. Good Night. Prrrr.

Wednesday 19th November
    Over continental breakfast, Mikki uses another benefit of the Hilton Executive lounge – internet access. She checks Virgin Atlantic’s web site and finds our flight is delayed to 3.00pm (2½ hours). So, no rush to check out of the hotel.

The flight is uneventful. Although we have 3 Figaros in the cabin bag, I am the only one to get out. The ‘plane is far from full. Mikki has brought a small back cushion and sleeps a bit more than usual. She also watches two movies.

We take Magical Express from the airport. We have scarcely any wait either to get on a bus or the bus to set out. We are also the first stop – well, Old Key West is quite close to the entrance to WDW as you come from the airport. We have checked in to our room within 2 hours of the ‘plane touching the ground (and 10 minutes of that was taken with the ‘plane taxiing to its gate).

It is cold – for Florida. The Bell Services desk has a patio heater and most of the bellmen are wrapped up in hooded coats and gloves. It is also nearly 2.00am by the clocks we woke up to. We all go to bed.

Thursday 20th November
    We are only here at OKW until Saturday (we will come back) so first things first: breakfast at Olivia’s. The humans both have Homestyle Hash. They flatter the server it is as good as when it was Ocie’s – and I am too polite a cat to contradict them on the Internet.

Everyone is still tired – and it is still cold – so we forego parks for the day and go Downtown. Mikki buys trading pins and we get a carry out lunch from Puck Express. Back at OKW, Andrew collapses and falls asleep (he didn’t sleep at all on the ‘plane). Mikki does some much needed sorting out while Andrew rests.

We go to pick up our hire car – aiming to do so about 5.00pm so it is the right time to take it back to the airport at the end of our stay. We have a compact car – a Kia. We take it to stock up on basic supplies – normally milk, orange juice etc. but as we are just about to move apartments it is just a couple of bottles of wine and some toothpaste. We also stop at Panera Bread to pick up sandwiches for tonight. Another stop is Premium Outlets – where Mikki gets confused when she doesn’t recognise where she walks into the mall. They have opened an extension since we were last there. Of course our target here is the Character Outlet.
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

A long couple of days! Sounds like you'll be ready to hit the parks with your next report!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a heck of trip so far! Look forward to reading more.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a nice trip so far...cant wait to hear about the rest!! hope you guys are having fun!!
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Figaro, you must have gotten lots of rest on the trip - your don't sound as tired as your humans at all!

Nice start to your trip despite the delay at the start!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlpmikki View Post
    For anyone who doesn’t know, St Pancras is a beautiful old Victorian station with a grand arched roof that has recently been completely modernised. It now handles, national trains running both north and south plus the international terminal for high speed trains to Europe. One plus of the modernisation is that there are plenty of lifts (elevators) for people like us with luggage.
    Hi Mikki! Shirley told me that St. Pancras was beautiful, she took the train over to Paris last month.

Hi Figaro! Hopefully we will get to see you in the next couple weeks. Glad that you arrived safe and sound.
    Mary

Been there, done that, definitely going back!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for keeping us updated Figaro. Can't wait to read more. Hope everything is going well for you and your humans.
    LIZ
    Disneyland-Too many times to count
    WDW
    APRIL 2005 - Offsite
    DECEMBER 2006 - Fort Wilderness
    OCTOBER 2007-Saratoga Springs Resort
    SEPTEMBER 2009-OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see your report, Figaro. Sounds like you're all settling in quite nicely. I think the humans have their priorities correct in chosing the basics. I do hope that they did get some cream for you though!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the Update Figaro

Tell the humans I will see them soon and is there any way to make the time go by faster
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the Report!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

pogo Guest

Hey Figaro... one of my rare appearances on Intercot and I found your first report of this trip.

We will be joining you and the humans two weeks from tomorrow and I can't wait to meet you finally.

Practice your hugs and tell your humans to practice theirs !

See you real soon and turn up the heat, please !

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great so far! Thanks for the update, looking forward to hearing more about your trip!
    Danielle

First Trip: April 1977
    Last Trip:- June 15-June 27 BLT and Vero Beach
    Next Trip: June 20-30 Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Trip report sounds awesome Figaro, now as to the coldness here? Sorry can't help that it had/has gotten cold here. It dropped down into the 40's last night again and it's expected to do so again tonight. For which I'm glad I'm off today and tomorrow.
    Sandy °o° VFK name DisneyDreamin,First trip in 1972-Off site ,In between so many I can't count,3/04 PC,11/28-12/05/04 POR,Feb,13-22,'06 PC,Dec,4, 07 FWR,DVC,AKV07, DLR's DPPH 9-13-20,'09,Stitch/Buzz Complex Cast Member

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great start to the trip even with the slight delay with the plane. Thanks so very much for the report and I look forward to reading more.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Figaro! So glad you and your humans arrived safely! I sure hope your humans get caught up on their rest... maybe they need to take some catnaps each day???
    Diane

Dec '06 - All Star Movie
    Nov. 2007 - Disneyland @ Disneyland Hotel
    Nov. 9 -15, 2008, Pop Century
    Oct. 19-23, 2011, Disneyland @ Paradise Pier

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Figaro, lovely as always to read about your adventures so far.

The hotel room at the airport sounds nice. The bathroom sounds pretty spacious. No cat bath I assume?

Hope the rest of the trip goes smoothly for you as well.
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great start.
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: