Quantcast Up -- Disney/Pixar (Now on DVD) - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Another winner by Pixar. Not like anyone should be surprised at this point. The studio reinvents itself every year and annually forces me to rethink which of its 10 films is truly my favorite.

The montage at the beginning of "Up" rivals any segment of anything Pixar has ever done. When it ended, I knew there was no way it would be topped. To me, it was better than the famous Sarah McLaughlin montage from "Toy Story 2." I liked how this one was beautiful, sincere and gut-wrenching without overtly pulling on my heartstrings. In "Toy Story 2," I felt like John Lasseter was toying with me a little, trying too hard to make me cry. This one was perfect, somehow encapsulating a lifetime of love into a few minutes.

Carl, Ellie and Russell were quite engrossing -- another example of Pixar developing full-fledged characters, not animated caricatures. They were real people, and we felt their pain and joy throughout the movie.

The talking dogs threw me a little, I am surprised to admit. It's an animated film, and a Disney one no less. Why should anthropomorphic animals bother me? Pixar movies have always operated within the realm that they create. For example, in "Finding Nemo," the fish talk because this is an ocean with talking fish. WALL-E and EVE communicate with beeps and sounds. That's just the way it is. I accept it because it is established at the beginning. Somehow, I felt the general word of "Up" was meant to resemble reality. There was no indication animals could talk, let alone fly planes. It struck me as weird.

I saw it in 3D and wish I hadn't. I may go back to see it again in traditional 2D. I thought the 3D muted the otherwise beautiful color palette. When I took off my glasses, I felt like I was watching the movie the way it was supposed to be seen. The balloons and landscapes of Venezuela were so much more vibrant. With the glasses, I felt like I was watching in a haze, or with everything put through a 10 percent tint. I still think 3D is mostly a gimmick. The only movie I have ever seen that I found the effect to be somewhat effective was Henry Selick's "Coraline," which came out this year. And that may because it was created in stop-motion, not computer animation. Perhaps I'm old-fashioned, but I have not embraced this 3D revolution and believe "Up" would have been an even better experience in 2D.

Also, I was actually slightly disappointed by "Partly Cloudy." It wasn't bad at all. In fact, it was quite beautiful and funny. I personally liked most of the other shorts better, that's all, including last year's "Presto" and 2007's "Lifted." This one was my least favorite in a while. Not sure why. Just didn't do it for me.

Anyway, as of today, here is my newly reordered list of Pixar films, adjusted for "Up:"

1. Finding Nemo
    2. Ratatouille
    3. WALL-E
    4. Toy Story
    5. Toy Story 2
    6. Up
    7. Monsters, Inc.
    8. The Incredibles
    9. A Bug's Life
    10. Cars

You know, in case anyone cared.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Just saw it today and all I have to say is WOW!! Quite an awesome film the boys at Pixar brought us, huh??

I LOVED IT!!!!!

I'll say one thing, though ... I think this movie was marketed horribly. I actually had little desire to see it, because I couldn't really figure out the storyline or who I'd be rooting for! They made Carl out to be some old grump (which he was, but with a reason) and the kid to be really annoying (which he was, but loveable at the same time). Honestly speaking, I think Disney's marketing department has been doing a very shabby job lately, because they really haven't made me need to go out and see one of their films in a long time. Glad I broke the mold on this one.

Show of hands ... how many people cried? How many times??

Oooh! Oooh!! I did!! At least three times ...

My updated list:

1. Cars
    2. Up
    3. Toy Story 2
    4. Monsters, Inc.
    5. Toy Story
    6. Finding Nemo
    7. The Incredibles
    8. Ratatouille
    9. WALL-E

Can't rank A Bug's Life because I still haven't seen it.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by animalkingdomguy View Post
    I noticed a dedication to the real Carl and Ellie Fredericksen placed at the end of the credits. Did anyone else see this and if so who where these people and how did they inspire this story?
    I saw it, too (another geek who stayed until the screen went dark).

It went by to see exactly, but from what I could tell it appeared to be an homage to the parents of some of the Pixar folks. I saw some familiar last names in there.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

We saw it last week and thought it was great. I loved the non-gimmicky use of 3D, it reminded me of the old View-Master days with everything so sharp and crisp. We too, felt Pixar rebounded nicely with this one.

Will the DVD feature the 3D version?
    1995 - Grand Floridian (Honeymoon)
    1997 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2005 - All-Star Music & Movies
    2006 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Ian, I agree that the marketing left you with no clue as to what it was really about but at the same time it's hard to market without giving away some major storylines. I'm kinda glad I went into it not knowing much.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    ....I'll say one thing, though ... I think this movie was marketed horribly.....
    I never saw much advertising for this movie in our area either. And what was shown did not make me want to go purchase a ticket. My son did a better job of selling it to me after attending a presentation at Comic Con last July.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by the other micki View Post
    But I laughed outloud more than I teared up...such a wonderful movie!

Saw Night at the Museum 2 with my DS 8 last week and did neither.
    In my book, "Museum" was an absolute dud.

Quote Originally Posted by animalkingdomguy View Post
    I watched UP and like a true geek I stayed until the very end of the credits. I noticed a dedication to the real Carl and Ellie Fredericksen placed at the end of the credits. Did anyone else see this and if so who where these people and how did they inspire this story?
    I've been Googling the heck out of this and haven't found anything. Where's Mufasa ?? I'm confident he could find out for us.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

We saw "Up" last night and absolutely loved it. Wow. What a wonderful movie!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Show of hands ... how many people cried? How many times??

Oooh! Oooh!! I did!! At least three times ...
    Yeah, I also cried at three different points. And I never cry at movies.
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Post Thanks / Like

For years I thought I would never find anything that topped "Monsters, Inc." Every other Pixar film was just good... never great. I tend to love the classics over Disney/Pixar.

Well, i'm happy to say that I think I now have a favorite Disney/Pixar film. UP! I have seen the movie 4 times now. Haha! Yeah, I know it's a bit extreme but that is how much I LOVE the movie!

I think it's perfect for everyone in so many ways. The story is simple even if it is out there. It's amazing that a film with talking dogs, a flying house, and an adventure hero that never ages can be so believeable. I can't recommend this movie enough!
    -Stacey

"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish.”

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome." -Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VolMickey View Post
    Gotta say that I was skeptical about it. Didn't seem like much of a story line, as someone indicated above the trailer stunk. Also, Ed Asner ... really?!?

It turned out to be a great, funny and heart-warming film. The graphics were awesome and it was easy to warm up to "Carl" in the beginning of the movie, despite preconceptions about him from the trailer.

Our family recommends it!
    Went last Friday and saw it again, this time in 3D. Loved it, again. Worth the bucks!

Post Thanks / Like

I loved this movie! It made me laugh and cry. I have seen it multiple times and I can't get enough of it. I am a Disney classics girl but this Pixar film had a great story and the characters were so lovable and real. I hope everyone goes out to see this movie. So worth it.

I even went out to the Disney store last week and got an UP shirt. So cute.
    ~Ashley~
    ~ºOº 83-93 -Poly
    96-ASMu
    2x 2006- POR
    2x 2007- CBR/POR
    2008- AKL
    2009- CR
    Apr 2010- Poly
    Oct 2010- AKL & Poly
    Next trip Mar 2011 GF ºOº~

Here you leave today - and visit the worlds of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TiggTigg5 View Post
    I've been Googling the heck out of this and haven't found anything. Where's Mufasa ?? I'm confident he could find out for us.
    Next time I get a chance I'll ask around at Pixar.

My understanding is that Carl Fredericksen isn't based on any individual in particular (the last name I believe was taken from relatives of Pete Docter).

Ellie takes the name from Pete Docter's daughter (Elie) who also voiced the character and provided some wonderful drawings and the handwriting in the adventure book that appears in the film (which she did when she was about 9 and a half)

A lot of the characters- like Kevin the bird were inspired by the Muppets. One of the very early concepts I know of from Pete and Bob Peterson revolved around two brothers who lived in this floating city and they thought about the issue of isolation which turned to an escapist fantasy which led to this drawing in about April of 2004 of this really cranky old man selling the happiest balloons you could imagine.

There's also a student film that Pete Docter did at CalArts called "Next Door" (winner of a student academy award) which features a little girl represented as soft, colorful circle shapes that is the overly-perky neighbor to a grumpy old man, represented by very square edges with personalities that couldn't be any more different except for a shared connection between the two (sounds a lot like Up doesn't it?)

And here's a tidbit about the character Dug I thought was interesting:

"One of the inspirations for Dug was Chris Farley. We were looking at the Saturday Night Live routine with Patrick Swayze where they are auditioning for Chippendales. Dug thinks he's an Alpha Dog and thinks he belongs with the rest of the pack, just like Chris Farley thought he could be a Chippendales dancer next to Patrick Swayze. We wanted to think of Chris Farley as a dog"

-- Albert Lozano, character designer

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I finally found what I was looking for ...

Here's the summary:

Director Pete Docter named Disney storyman and writer Joe Grant in the film’s dedication to the “real life Carl and Ellie Fredricksens who inspired us to create our own Adventure Books.” Grant was part of the 1937 team that created “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” and wrote “Dumbo” and “Fantasia.” The mentor, friend and source of inspiration to Docter and countless others continued to work at the Walt Disney Animation Studios up until his death in 2005, one week shy of his 97th birthday.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. – Colby Curtin got her final wish.

The 10-year-old girl desperately wanted to see the new Disney-Pixar movie, "Up." But the cancer-stricken girl was too sick to go to a theater.

Thanks to a family friend who got in touch with the movie studio Pixar, an employee of the Emeryville-based company arrived at Colby's home with a DVD copy of the movie, The Orange County Register reported Friday. The girl died later that night.

Colby's mother, Lisa, said she had asked her daughter if she could hang on until the movie arrived.

"I'm ready (to die), but I'm going to wait for the movie," she said her daughter replied.

"Up" is the animated tale of a grumpy old man who, after his wife's death, tries to fulfill their joint dream of visiting South America by tying thousands of balloons to his house and floating away.

"When I watched it, I had really no idea about the content of the theme of the movie," Colby's mother told the Register. "I just know that word 'Up' and all of the balloons and I swear to you, for me it meant that (Colby) was going to go up. Up to heaven."

Colby, who was diagnosed with vascular cancer in 2005, saw previews for the film in April.

"It was from then on, she said, 'I have to see that movie. It is so cool,'" family friend Carole Lynch said.

But the girl's health began to deteriorate. On June 4, Curtin asked a hospice company to bring a wheelchair so that her daughter could go to a movie theater but the chair was not delivered over the weekend, Curtin said.

By June 9, Colby was too sick to go anywhere.

Another family friend, Terrell Orum, called both Pixar and Disney, which owns the animation studio. The message was received by Pixar officials, who agreed to send someone to Colby's house the next day with a copy of "Up" for a private screening, Orum said.

The employee arrived with the DVD, stuffed animals of characters and other movie memorabilia.

Colby was unable to open her eyes to see the movie so her mother described the scenes. When her mother asked if she enjoyed it, the girl nodded, Curtin said.

The Pixar employee left after the movie, taking the DVD, which has not been released. Lynch, who was with the family during the screening, said the employee's "eyes were just welled up."

A call to Pixar seeking comment was not immediately returned Friday.

Colby, with her parents nearby, died later that night.

Her mother said one of the memorabilia left by the Pixar employee was an "adventure book" based on a scrapbook that, in the movie, is kept by the wife of the main character.

"I'll have to fill those adventures in for her," Lisa Curtin said of her daughter.

Post Thanks / Like

I loved "UP"! It was fanastic! And we got pictures with the characters at Animation in DHS last week!
    "Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you. But always dress for the hunt!" Kungaloosh!

"Happy are those whom the Muses love."

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

I hate the fact that I live in a world where 10 year old little girls still have to die from cancer.

That story really got to me ....
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

We FINALLY got around to seeing it this weekend - I laughed. I cried. It was great.

The part with the book saying thank you now go make your own adventures . . . how touching !

LOVED IT !
    Amanda
    Wishes. Dreams. Magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up UP- not just kid stuff

We saw UP with some friends last night. DH & I usually wait for the animated shows to come out on blue ray and Netflix them. The kids are grown & gone & it just doesn't seem worth the $$ to go to many of these types of films. That said, we went to enjoy the company of some friends that we just hadn't gotten together with for a while & were very impressed with the 3D, the storyline... the whole thing! If you are thinking this is 'kid-stuff' think again. Don't get me wrong, the kids will love it too, but so will you!
    nicci
    1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 ASM
    2004 CSR
    2006 ASM
    2007 CBR
    2009 CBR
    2019 CBR
    DL 1971 to now - too many times to count, DL AP holder & Disney stockholder

Post Thanks / Like

When the movie first came out, DS13 wanted to go see it. And then he remembered he's too "cool" for "kiddie" movies. Dragged him to it the other week. He loved it. I keep pointing out that a lot of "kiddie" movies are really for the whole family - the 4 yr old will love the characters and the obvious slap-stick; the 8 yr old will get a few of the jokes that fly over the 4yr old's head; the 13 yr old will get even more of the advanced/hidden jokes; etc, etc. We just won't tell his friends that he saw a "kiddie" movie!

Post Thanks / Like

We finally saw this on Saturday. While I agree that it was good, and the animation was fabulous, I was very sad for much of the movie.

The story of Carl and Ellie reminded me too much of my parents, who always had big plans of things that they wanted to do, but were never able to. The montage of their life together was very nice, but I cried through much of it. I was also really wishing that Russell's dad would have been at the badge ceremony.

DD9 love it, but DH sort of felt the same as me. He understood why it was a hard one for me to watch. I'm not sure how I'll deal with buying the DVD. I may have to let DD watch it only when I'm too busy to watch with her.
    Tammy

8/78, 5/88, 3/90, 3/94 - WDW - Off-Site
    5/86, 7/91, 3/99 - DL - Off-Site
    10/97, 7/98 - WDW - Poly
    7/01 - WDW - Poly - cancer recovery #1
    2/02 - WDW - WL
    7/03 - WDW - Poly - surprise b-day trip
    12/04 - WDW - Poly - cancer recovery #2
    1/06 - WDW - Poly - surprise 6th b-day for DD

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: