Quantcast To Vote Or Not To Vote - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Do You/Did You Vote?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

141 93.38%
  • No

10 6.62%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted today for the first time!

I was excited to be able to vote finally since I wasn't old enough 4 years ago

But I do feel it's important and I do think every vote matters. As others have said if everybody had the thinking that their vote doesn't matter then it really would be a problem.
    Chris

Recent Trips

January 09
    May 08
    Oct-Nov 07

May 07

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mendelson View Post
    My point about picking up trash was simply that people think they are making a contribution to their country by voting, when really their vote won't count for anything...and there is an opportunity cost associated with the time you spend committed to voting. If you really wanted to help your country or community, the time you spend casting an insignificant vote could be better spent doing other civic-minded things. I don't justify not voting by other things in my life...I was just using this as an example.
    Ok, so what your saying is noone should vote, because it wont count. And instead pick up trash around the neighborhood? So therefore if noone votes, and everyone picks up trash, the end result will be that we have no president at all or a really BAD president, but a spotless neighborhood? GRANTED I'm not saying lets vote and not clean our earth...but really....I do not see how one is even related to the other. They are two totally different things for doing the better-good of man-kind...OK yes lets all recycle yada yada....but to say that our person-by-person vote will not count make absolutely no sense at all and basically if one-thousand people use the "mentality" of "my vote does not make a difference"...ultimately in the end yes it does...because one-thousand votes are not counted and therefore could have made all the difference in the end of who would have HELPED our country and not hurt it like well without giving names...the present one...
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

I also wanted to ask the questions of, basically what your saying is, as an American Citizen...we should not have the ability nor privelage to vote, because in the end it means nothing? That is what I am getting out of what your saying....which is just truly appalling to me.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

I voted and got my sticker! I'm wearing it with pride. Where else in this world can people say that citizens of their country in the past have fought and died for this right, not very many. Also just think, women haven't even been able to vote for 100 years yet, amazing! I've been given this right and I'm going to use it, YEAH!
    Also cute and fluffy!!!!!
    Blue punch-buggy, no punch back!

Post Thanks / Like

I voted and i always vote- otherwise george washington, ben franklin and alot of our forefathers wasted their time...

I went early, there were no lines-
    The only issue was some old man walked in while i was voting- everyone screamed for him to stop... i was done so it was no issue

I have never ever seen lines to vote? i would think it would discourage people.

Surprisingll, Ralph Nader was on the ballot again!!
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, forget the trash example because people seem to be fixated on that.

Also, again, I'm not saying that everybody should eschew voting, not at all. The OP was, if I recall, did you vote and if not, why not. I'm simply saying that as an individual, my vote won't count.

It's a great privelage, important to democracy, the people are the ultimate arbiters of their own fate...I would have it no other way. Thank you, TJ, et al.

Nathan's vote (that's me) will neither put John McCain nor Barack Obama into office, it will not elect my senator, my rep, even my sherrif. If I thought for a second that my vote and my vote alone would elect the president...what stress! (Just like that Kevin Costner movie nobody saw.)

I think I have the history of tens of thousands of elections behind me here. I shouldn't have to defend that 2+2=4. Whereas you are all saying 2+2=4 million because we have the civic responsibility to believe such a thing.
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mendelson View Post
    I've campaigned for people and then not voted for them, because campaigning can make a big difference, whereas my vote will make no difference.
    I'm sorry, but that makes no sense. What is the sense of campaigning if you don't even pull the lever/push the button?
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Voting as a right, not a duty. If there is any 'duty', it's to be an educated voter (and to not take the right for granted). It is by no means a form of community service. ''Service' and 'duty' are what our forefathers and veterans have done already. And I do believe my vote counts! So I guess I'm not in total agreement with the flamers or the flamed - I must be an Independent

Post Thanks / Like

Default voting

I tried to vote at 700 am the lines were out the door there was no where to park. so I went home went back at 1100 am couldn't get near the place. finally went back at 3 pm and got to vote. I have never seen lines like this for voting.
    Trips To WDW
    WDW-1991-Off Site
    WDW-2001-Off Site
    WDW-2005-Off Site
    Aug 2006 all star movies
    Aug 2008 POP Century
    Aug 2009-POP

April 2010-ASMu
    Aug 2011 all star music

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I toyed with the idea of not voting this year. I haven't missed an election since I turned 18, but this year for the very first time I decided that I didn't like either of the candidates. Once I got my ballot, I was pretty gosh darn close to writing in Hillary, but then I figured that that would basically be throwing my vote away. In the end, I wound up voting for the candidate I disliked the least.

So - because I pretty much made a last second decision, I can understand how some people would decide not to vote at all in the election. If you feel strongly against both candidates, it makes sense. In the end, though, I do feel its important to cast some vote!
    Janine
    -----------------
    Disney World: 87, 89, 92, 96-97, 99-00, 02-05, 07-14
    Disneyland: 05, 10-14
    RunDisney: 13 (Princess, Dumbo, ToT), 14 (Dopey, Tink, Glass Slipper, Dumbo, Wine & Dine, Avengers), 15 (Dopey, Rebel Challenge)
    DVC Member: 07-NOW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I'm sorry, but that makes no sense. What is the sense of campaigning if you don't even pull the lever/push the button?
    And I ask again, WHY DID NEITHER "REAL" CANDIDATE CAMPAIGN IN MY STATE?

The answer to that is why my vote does not count...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    And I ask again, WHY DID NEITHER "REAL" CANDIDATE CAMPAIGN IN MY STATE?

The answer to that is why my vote does not count...
    That is a different issue. The poster said that they themselves have gone out campaigning for people in the past and then did not vote, which just does not make sense to me.

But, to answer your question... what about the other elections? Local and state? What about questions about the budget and city/local charters? School board members? There is a lot more to vote for than President of the United States....
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I went at 9am and it was a great time to go......no wait at all. I heard that it was crazy by midday and have heard tales of people fighting with each other in the election lines.
    I was bracing myself for long lines and a long painful wait with a toddler, so I was pleasantly suprised.
    Wore my sticker all day long and had 2 cups of free Starbucks coffee
    WE also had a vote for slots on the bill today so I am interested to see how that comes out as well.
    come visit Sam's memorial site
    http://sam-wood.memory-of.com

Sponsor the Celebrating Sam Team and help us Light the Night again in 2007!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by harlowandthemermaid View Post
    WE also had a vote for slots on the bill today so I am interested to see how that comes out as well.
    We had a question about whether the Mayor could take over our park system. I'm actually more nervous about this than the Presidential election. I'm hoping our park is safe from having the Mayor take it over and sell it off!!!
    Janine
    -----------------
    Disney World: 87, 89, 92, 96-97, 99-00, 02-05, 07-14
    Disneyland: 05, 10-14
    RunDisney: 13 (Princess, Dumbo, ToT), 14 (Dopey, Tink, Glass Slipper, Dumbo, Wine & Dine, Avengers), 15 (Dopey, Rebel Challenge)
    DVC Member: 07-NOW

Post Thanks / Like

I also voted early this morning, there was only one person in front of me in our precinct. I always vote.
    Mary

Been there, done that, definitely going back!

Post Thanks / Like

I went this morning at 6 am, no line and a nice start to what was a beautiful fall day up here in New England. I really enjoy Election Day, all the supporters waving and holding signs at polling places and street corners, followed by a night of watching the results on television. Its like the Super Bowl for those of us who like to follow politics .
    Feb '19 Aulani
    Aug '18 Pop Century
    Feb '18 Disneyland
    Dec '16 Yacht & Beach Club
    Oct '13 Carribbean Beach
    Dec '10 AK Kidani Village
    Dec '09 Port Orleans FQ
    Dec '08 Polynesian
    Dec '05 Pop Century

Dec '02 AS Sports
    '73- '92 numerous off site

'71 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Mendelson;1775511].

I've campaigned for people and then not voted for them, because campaigning can make a big difference, whereas my vote will make no difference.

QUOTE]

So you campaigned for people in the hopes that folks would vote for your candidate but you do not believe that a person's vote counts??? I am sorry my friend that makes no sense IMO.

This morning on the TODAY show they talked about previous presidential elections specifically related to weather. One study showed that the weather affects how many people come out to vote. Specifically rain/bad weather keeps people home. In the 2000 election west Florida had rain and it was estimated that 100,000 democrats did not vote and that if they had Al Gore could very possibly have won Florida and therefore the presidency. 100,000 is NOT that many people relatively speaking. So to say that one vote does not count? I disagree!
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't going to vote because I have been feeling pretty jaded towards politics with all the corruption and what not. I did however vote because too many people fought hard for us to have that right and it's what makes us different from some other countries.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

It would have been my first year to vote, except I didn't register in time. The dates were apparently mixed up and when I went to register, it was too late. I can always register next time. I did a lot of research and did a lot of talking to my friends and family, so they will be informed. I think a lot of my friends that were voting for the first time were definitely misinformed and were going to vote just because. I don't believe in that. I believe you should know why you are voting and who you are voting for. Like I told them, if you're voting just because you can, but don't put any time or effort into it, then save your vote for American Idol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by harlowandthemermaid View Post
    Yeah I'm interested to see how this turns out and the voting early law as well. Both I think were good issues to bring up, IMHO.
    Also cute and fluffy!!!!!
    Blue punch-buggy, no punch back!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: