Quantcast An increase of phones/texting on rides?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default An increase of phones/texting on rides?

Just since the last time we went (a few years ago), the prevalence of phones for picture-taking and texting has increased a lot. Have any of you been running into being distubed (primarily from the light of it, I guess I mean) by someone having their phone out during parts of a ride? Just curious how this has spiked since the last time we went, when I don't recall it being an issue. Are there extra announcements aimed at this in loading areas?
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple of years ago, I was on ToT and a girl talked to her friend on the phone during the whole ride. it was quite distracting.

Poly--2010. POR 2010
    Poly and CR 2011
    POR- 2009
    Grand Floridian-2009
    Wilderness Lodge-2008
    Polynesian-2008
    Contemporary-2007
    Wilderness Lodge-2006 & 2006
    Off-Site-2006
    POR- YC POR 2005

CBR- 2004

Post Thanks / Like

It has got really bad. We had a lady sitting behind us on IASW, talking on her phone. She ask can you hear me, several times. I turned around and answered her question. I said yes we can all hear you. My DW was so embarrassed.

Post Thanks / Like

It is pretty sad that people can't even last the 5 minutes a ride is to refrain from using their phones. I mean they have the entire line where they can talk on their phones and text just be polite and give us our 5 minutes to enjoy the ride with out you talking or lighting up the area with your phone.

But unfortunately people are not always considerate.
    Chris

Recent Trips

January 09
    May 08
    Oct-Nov 07

May 07

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by medic9016 View Post
    It has got really bad. We had a lady sitting behind us on IASW, talking on her phone. She ask can you hear me, several times. I turned around and answered her question. I said yes we can all hear you. My DW was so embarrassed.
    How funny and an absolutely appropriate response. DW shouldn't be embarrassed...only amused! I totally agree as far as annoying phone coversations on the attractions go, but as the mom of a teenage girl, I know that this is something that simply is! We do have rules about phone calls on rides, but we like having availble contact w/her at all times. Plus she uses the camera on the phone as well, and we have no problem w/this. I must say, in all fairness to the young people, that I see as many "older folk" using their phones on the attractions as the youngsters. Unfortunately, not everyone possesses common courtesy and manners,even @ the "Happiest Place on Earth"...how sad!
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, sounds like something I'd say.

I understand needing to stay in touch with your family or friends, but there is a proper time and place.
    Next trip DLR in February 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a group get of Rockin Roller Coaster and they ran up to the televisions with the pictures they post to sell and took a picture of it with their cell phone - right in front of a CM! The CM did nothing.
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

People really should have the manners to turn there phones to vibrate in shows and to hang up on attractions. Are you at WDW to talk or to have fun?
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

This is EVERYWHERE not just Disney. I don't get it but then I don't want to be "connected" 24/7.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineC68 View Post
    This is EVERYWHERE not just Disney. I don't get it but then I don't want to be "connected" 24/7.
    Good observation. I agree 100%. It's just a different time and a different generation. Personally, I don't view the camera part of the phone any differently than a regular camera - it's hard to find any family at the parks without a still or video camera. But the need to talk or text on attractions is beyond me. Also, when in a show or movie, there is no need to have the phone on anything more than vibrate. I'm sure they'll leave a message.....

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, yes-we've really encountered that a lot. And it's so annoying! One time we were on the new Journey Into Imagination (or whatever it's called now) and a guy who was sitting alone on the ride spent the whole ride talking very loudly on his cell phone conducting business. Why did he even go on the ride? He didn't even have anyone who dragged him unwillingly-he went on it alone, then didn't pay any attention. And one time a woman (also alone) sat behind us at the Beauty and the Beast show, pulled out her cell phone and talked to her friends-again, loudly. That is, she did until the person next to me told her to leave if she was going to talk on her cell phone. And lots of cell phone pictures, although I admit I took a picture of the Tree of Life with my cell phone so that it could be my backround whenever I turn on my cell phone.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, so that is just too funny! Nice quick thinking on your part!
    Everyone in our family has cell phones and I agree it's nice to have a way to keep in touch in the parks but we have rules and if they are not followed then you don't get to keep your phone while we're there. The biggest thing with our family is, keep it on vibrate and whoever calls will be called back ONLY when we are out of the attraction or off the ride. We don't even take the phones out until we are outside again. The only exception we have to that rule is if there is an actual emergency, in that case whoever has the emergency calls, waits for voicemail, hangs up and then calls right back. If we get 2 calls in a row we know to leave the attraction. None of us have had to do that yet (thank goodness) but we have it in place just in case.
    °o° Traci ¨¨*:•

Next up, hopefully, Just me & my Honey Sept. 9-14 ASMu celebrating 30 yrs and my b-day. Thanks Denise from MJ :) for the help so far & answering all my stupid questions.

Countless previous trips

Post Thanks / Like

I just don't get this constant connection obsession. There was a girl on HM last summer who talked on her phone through the whole of the stretching room and then texted through the rest of the ride (she was in the doombuggy in front of mine). It drove me nuts! Of all the rides in the World, HM is the last one you want ppl adding even a little bit of light to. The reflection of it totally ruined the Mme Leota scene, I was irritated..

It's certainly not just at Disney though.. it amazes me at school.. girls will sit in class and text each other from across the room. I just want to say to them "You're paying $38,000 a year to go here, don't you have anything better to do than text each other?!?!?!"
    <3 Robin

Prince Charming: It's offical. I've lost my mind. First I'm hijacked by bluebirds and now I'm talking to ...imaginary mice.

King: I do trust you son.... It's the talking mice I'm worried about...

Post Thanks / Like

I was on ToT once and one guy was on his phone as we were going up to the scene where you see the ghosts in the corridor. As soon as the elevator started moving he said 'gotta go bye!' so fast I couldn't help but laugh. That time it wasn't distracting, it was just funny.
    AK Lodge - September '03
    AK Lodge - September '04
    AK Lodge - September '05
    AK Lodge - May '07
    AK Lodge - August '08
    AK Lodge (Jambo House) - August '10

"It's the truth. Its actual... Everyting is Satisfactual"

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, when you are going on vacation (especially WDW), you should leave all of your cell phones, laptops, etc...all at home. We all survived for decades without cellphones, PDAs, and laptops. Can't we let them go for a week long vacation? I love leaving the phone at home while in WDW!!
    *1993-CBR
    *1995-Dixie Landings
    *1999-2002 OKW (3 times)
    *2003-BCV(got engaged)
    *2005-Poly Concierge(honeymoon)
    *2007-AllStar Music(expecting 1st child)
    *2008- OKW (w/1st child)
    *2012-AKL villas

Post Thanks / Like

This is an epidemic everywhere. Remember the good ole days when we did just fine not having cell phones. On another note, be careful on the safari ride at AK. My husband was not on his phone at all, it was in his "holster" thing on his hip and the ride is so bumpy and bouncy that it bounced right out and he had to go back to find it.

Post Thanks / Like

I lock my cell phone up in the wall safe when I go into the parks. I do not want to be in contact with the outside world. Unfortunately, on my last trip,,,,my 30 year old daughter and my 25 year old son spend way tooo much time texting and talking. I was ready to dump both of the phones in the fountain in EPCOT>

I don't know about anyone else, but I go to Disney to get away...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jwallace378 View Post
    In my opinion, when you are going on vacation (especially WDW), you should leave all of your cell phones, laptops, etc...all at home. We all survived for decades without cellphones, PDAs, and laptops. Can't we let them go for a week long vacation? I love leaving the phone at home while in WDW!!
    This is what I LOVED about being on the DCL. We locked our phones in the safe the entire time! Unfortuately cannot do it for WDW.

Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of years ago, I was on ToT and a girl talked to her friend on the phone during the whole ride. it was quite distracting.
    Haha, I can't imagine how that would work. The person on the other end of the call must be deaf by now from all the screaming.

We locked our phones in the safe the entire time! Unfortuately cannot do it for WDW.
    We do the same thing.

I just don't get this constant connection obsession. There was a girl on HM last summer who talked on her phone through the whole of the stretching room and then texted through the rest of the ride (she was in the doombuggy in front of mine). It drove me nuts! Of all the rides in the World, HM is the last one you want ppl adding even a little bit of light to. The reflection of it totally ruined the Mme Leota scene, I was irritated..

It's certainly not just at Disney though.. it amazes me at school.. girls will sit in class and text each other from across the room. I just want to say to them "You're paying $38,000 a year to go here, don't you have anything better to do than text each other?!?!?!"
    That bugs me to no end. You're rarely in WDW riding some of the greatest rides but you would rather text your friend who you could talk to any old time? That's just wierd to me. Someone also ruined my Madam Leota part for us too. They must have taken 10+ pictures just in that part and ruined the whole effect.
    Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for your DW, but I bet everyone else appreciated you.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: