Quantcast Would YOU eliminate Tom Sawyer Island ? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I too loved the DL pirates version! I think they should do that and add a pirate restaurant if there is room.
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know that I would eliminate it, but maybe refurbish it with a pirates theme or something else. I used to hate going to TSI as a kid because my brother loved playing in the fort, but I don't think it should be eliminated. It is a good place for kids to run around and explore out of the way from the general crowd.
    "Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you. But always dress for the hunt!" Kungaloosh!

"Happy are those whom the Muses love."

Post Thanks / Like

I think leave it, but with enhancements as everyone has said. But one change I want to see happen, and I know many will disagree because its part of the charm, but just build a bridge to TSI and elimanate the rafts over. Thats why we don't go. We don't want to wait in the hot sun,then get crammed onto a small raft, in the hot sun, just to get over there. I think have it as a separate option and bring back the canoes!!!
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    By the way, the Pirates thing can work at Disneyland since the DL version of POTC is in New Orleans Square which is on the river so there is a natural tie in. Putting a Pirate Island in the middle of Frontierland just wouldn't make for good show.
    Good point Wayne. I never really caught the themeing tie-in at DL w/ POTC and the island being so close. Makes complete sense.

Maybe then if the TS theme is losing its appeal to the younger crowd they could just give it a general frontier/wild-west theme. I wouldn't want them to go so far as to do a "Woody's Round-Up" type deal w/ the pixar theme, mostly because I don't want everything to become Pixar-esque.

How about just a more involved, general wild-west/frontier theme? Maybe have roaming frontiersmen or cowboys? Adding some streetmosphere and dusting off/polishing up some of the mini attractions like the caves and Fort would do wonders IMO even if they keep the TS theme.
    Recent Disney Trips
    -May 2007 (Pop Century)
    -Oct. 2007 (Saratoga Springs)
    -Dec. 2007 (DL - Paradise Pier Hotel)
    -Oct. 2008 (Caribbean Beach)
    -Feb. 2010 (Pop Century)
    -Feb. 2011 (AKL)
    -Feb. 2012 (DL - Paradise Pier Hotel)
    -Dec. 2012 (Coronado Springs)
    -Oct. 2014 (Coronado Springs)

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't visited it since I was a kid...but I think we need to be selfless here and concede that there have to be some things at WDW that are strictly for the kids...and this is one of them.
    EJ in Houston

3-16 -- Port Orleans Riverside
    11-12 -- Pop Century
    11-11 -- Animal Kingdom Lodge
    11-09 -- All-Star Sports
    11-07 -- All-Star Sports
    11-05 -- All-Star Sports
    09-95 -- Off Property
    3 prior visits as a child beginning in '72 -- Polynesian/Contemporary Resorts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mainemajor View Post
    I agree with those that say keep it open, but re-theme it. While Tom Sawyer is a nice story, kids today don't read it much if ever in school or for pleasure, but PIRATES are forever. That sure would ioncrease the number of people young and old that would visit there.

A pirates theme would be so cool! My DS's really enjoy TSI, but that is a great idea! Particularly with the latest installments of Pirates in the works! Come one, we've got Toy Story in a couple of attractions now with Buzz & TSM, and we've got Nemo in the Seas & the musical! A refurb with a Pirates theme sounds perfect! I think there are enough empty buildings that could be revamped into TS's if they want to do that! But don't take away our - explore at your own pace - run wild if you want - adventure island!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    I think leave it, but with enhancements as everyone has said. But one change I want to see happen, and I know many will disagree because its part of the charm, but just build a bridge to TSI and elimanate the rafts over. Thats why we don't go. We don't want to wait in the hot sun,then get crammed onto a small raft, in the hot sun, just to get over there. I think have it as a separate option and bring back the canoes!!!
    Great Idea but why not go one step furter and tie it into the whole cave idea and have a "secret tunnel" to TSI. A bridge or tunnel would increase acess to TSI, allowing Aunt Pollies to be open year round and increase menu choices. While it should be updated I'm for keeping the Tom Sawyer theme. Mark Twain's stories are great examples of American literature and this is a living tribute to them, a retheming would lose this landmark. You could update the fort, the bridges and caves while you did a rehab to add the bridge. Though with the economy the way it is now we won't see this happening.

But to the main question, eliminate Tom Sawyer's Island? No Way!
    Feb '19 Aulani
    Aug '18 Pop Century
    Feb '18 Disneyland
    Dec '16 Yacht & Beach Club
    Oct '13 Carribbean Beach
    Dec '10 AK Kidani Village
    Dec '09 Port Orleans FQ
    Dec '08 Polynesian
    Dec '05 Pop Century

Dec '02 AS Sports
    '73- '92 numerous off site

'71 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to see it altered. I think sometimes you can get such sensory overload at the parks that a natural setting is a nice alternative to one more queue........

2004-Allstar Movie
    2004-Allstar Movie
    2006-Allstar Movie- he proposed!!

2007-Allstar Movie
    2007- Allstar Music
    2008- September, December trip
    2009 June, Novemebr trip

"Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's very tough to read"
    M Twain

Post Thanks / Like

I would absolutely keep it...

It keeps crowds of people trapped on that island while I enjoy the rest of the park!

Post Thanks / Like

I never cared for TSI and found it to be a total waste of space during my first several trips. I had never been to WDW as a child nor did I have kids those first few experiences. My opinion has changed dramatically now that I have kids who are old enough to enjoy TSI.

My DS is 9 and TSI is one of his favorite places in all of WDW (my DD 12 also liked it just not as much as DS). He loves the fort, tunnels, looking for the paint brush and just exploring. My opinion of TSI has swung 100% in opposite directions by watching my kids and seeing their enjoyment. My DS had so much fun that when we got home we watched Huck and wants to know more about Tom Sawyer.

I disagree with those suggesting that this be re-themed to pirates to. I find it a novel idea but so much of WDW has already been themed to pirates (the ride, the Pirate & Princess Party, Jack Sparrow Show, Caribbean Beach resort pirate rooms). Tom Sawyer island is in Frontier Land and fits perfectly. To change this to fit with the current pirate trend and have it out of place seems like a knee jerk reaction. I'm glad that my DS loved TSI and that then had an interest in Tom & Huck when we got home, maybe this will help to get him to read Tom Sawyer when he is a little older.
    '94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, we've never been to TSI !! Our DS's have asked to go there on our next trip in 2/09...now I'm interested in seeing what it's all about!
    10/91-Honeymoon YC Concierge
    6/92, 5/93, 9/95, 9/99-YC
    9/00-BWI,YC
    6/01-AKL,YC
    9/02-BCV,YC
    5/03-BCV
    8/03-WLV,BWV
    1/04-HH,BWV,OKW
    6/04, 5/05-BWV
    8/05, 11/07-SSR
    2/09-BCV
    11/09-BCV
    5/11-AKL
    4/12-OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Sawyer's Island is a great place to escape the crowds and the heat. I love just sitting there for a while and just people watch. I wouldn't want to see it eliminated
    *1993-CBR
    *1995-Dixie Landings
    *1999-2002 OKW (3 times)
    *2003-BCV(got engaged)
    *2005-Poly Concierge(honeymoon)
    *2007-AllStar Music(expecting 1st child)
    *2008- OKW (w/1st child)
    *2012-AKL villas

Post Thanks / Like

It ain't broke -- why fix it?

It's visited often. It's fun for the kids. The raft ride over adds to the adventure and helps control crowds.

It's not run-down, and it doesn't need a "refurb" or retheming because low-tech fun is just as important to have for a variety of experiences.

With POTC, the Jack Sparrow show, and Pirates and Princess parties, there's already plenty of pirate stuff for one park. Enough already.

It isn't losing its appeal. It's plenty full of people on regular park days.

Kids have heard of Tom Sawyer, even if they haven't read the book. And lots of kids are reading it in school.

Let's leave a good thing well enough alone. Just because it's been around for awhile doesn't mean it needs to be changed for change's sake.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

I am SO torn here. While its fun to run around on the island, it is a nice size piece of land (water) that could be used on a new mega-attraction.
    One little spark of inspiration, is at the heart of all creation.
    - Dreamfinder

July 1976 - offsite
    June 1988 - offsite

June 1991 - Disney's Village Resort
    June 1993 - Dixie Landings

June 2001 - offsite

APRIL 2009 - PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE
    Dec 2010 - Somewhere in the World, probably POP

Post Thanks / Like

Would YOU eliminate Tom Sawyer Island ?
    No.
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

Please No Pirate Theme At Tsi! Keep Frontierland Just That-frontierland And Leave The Pirates In Adventureland!

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see Tom Sawyer Island moved to the old Discovery island near FW,maybe add afew water elements to make a resort guest only water park.
    Then I would love to see a new mini land based on villians put in its place,maybe called Skull Rock.Id have a Malificent themed coaster,a villian character dinner at 'The Rusty Nail' and maybe a huge statue over it all of Chernabog .All this in view of the HM
    1981(FW) 1982(FW) 1983(FW) 1984(FW) 1985(FW)
    1986(FW) 1987(FW) 1989-2x(FW) 2004(ASMO)2008(CSR)

You can't just let it go...not even on your birthday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bertasso59 View Post
    I would love to see Tom Sawyer Island moved to the old Discovery island near FW,maybe add afew water elements to make a resort guest only water park.
    Then I would love to see a new mini land based on villians put in its place,maybe called Skull Rock.Id have a Malificent themed coaster,a villian character dinner at 'The Rusty Nail' and maybe a huge statue over it all of Chernabog .All this in view of the HM
    I love that idea. It seems as though we're the only 2 on here that can see the potential for that space though ... ... LOL.
    '72 Kissimee
    July '94 AS Sports
    Aug '05 AS Sports ( FREE DINING)
    Aug '06 AS Sports ( FREE DINING)
    Sept '08 POP ( FREE DINING)
    Oct '09 POP ( FREE DINING)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FaithTrustPixieDust View Post
    From a kid's perspective, so much of WDW is waiting in line and being herded from here to there . . .. and into intensely colorful and exciting rides. Tom Sawyer's Island is a mental and physical change of pace that they sometimes NEED. I think they love a chance to just run and explore with no agenda, no lines, and no pressure.
    Very well said! I have even been a victim of Sensory Overload in the MK. Not to mention TSI is the one place where you feel like you have some "elbow room" and not constantly feel like you are tripping over people.

We didn't "bother" with TSI until last December and then I was wondering what kept us away...ok the entrances to SM and BTMRR we were usually too excited for those to give TSI a shot. But my DSs LOVED it so much! I don't remember it as a child, but seeing their excitement was well worth it for me. When we mention going back, this is one attraction they ALWAYS bring up!

Don't ruin a good thing!!!
    First trip...02/72 Fort Wilderness
    Last trip...2/2016 Boardwalk Inn
    Next trip...2/2017 Boardwalk Inn Princess Half Weekend

"Mama, another gator got in the house"

"Don't make me turn this formation around!"

Post Thanks / Like

When DS and DW were younger (4-12), they loved TSI. Because of the reason that so many young kids like it, I think it should stay. Maybe even enhance it even more than it is already.
    1965*, 1972, 1980, 1986, 1992, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004 Disneyland ** Aug 2009 25th Wedding Anniversary, 2010 (June), 2012

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: